Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Iron Crowned posted:

At this point I'm assuming that Weird Al also has a music vault, full of unreleased music, the way that Prince did.

ive never been to a concert of his but i've heard he busts out his rejected songs live so people can still hear them. logically that might have had to go away once literally everyone in the world started carrying around an hd video camera in their pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Doctor Dogballs posted:

ive never been to a concert of his but i've heard he busts out his rejected songs live so people can still hear them. logically that might have had to go away once literally everyone in the world started carrying around an hd video camera in their pocket.

Why? In case it's not clear, he is legally allowed to parody ANYTHING and he knows this, but Al, being a genuine nice person, doesn't put a given parody on an album if the creator of the original work doesn't want him to.

I think playing them live, even if they'd end up bootlegged by various people and their phones, is a neat idea; it means the work he and his studio musicians put in doesn't totally go to waste just because Prince had zero sense of humour.

Edit: oops, I could be wrong here, as I think he was denied permission to release "You're Pitiful" commercially, so he did it for free.

Edit: nm, I was correct, originally.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 13, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Found this in the Cursed Thread:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

MrMojok posted:

Has anyone ever seen the Alien poster before? I’d like to know where I can get it.

I think it's unlicensed so I'm not sure if you'd be able to buy it anywhere but here's the artist's website: https://paulbutcher.artstation.com/projects/qAPbPR

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I think it's unlicensed so I'm not sure if you'd be able to buy it anywhere but here's the artist's website: https://paulbutcher.artstation.com/projects/qAPbPR

Thank you!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

MrMojok posted:

Posting this tweet only because of the poster on the left, which I have never seen before. It’s pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/acroce66/status/1535680230790152192?s=21&t=r4tFuUxCCQr7e4Z4oGDnWQ

This gives the impression of the cat stalking an unsuspecting xeno

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
ST: Terran Command is out today. I'm debating getting it. I usually wait a while when a new game comes out due to all of the bugs and stuff.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers_Terran_Command/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise the Frown posted:

ST: Terran Command is out today. I'm debating getting it. I usually wait a while when a new game comes out due to all of the bugs and stuff.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 16, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Gnome de plume posted:

This gives the impression of the cat stalking an unsuspecting xeno

That actually happens twice in the movie. There's two instances where the alien immediately flips out an flees when it sees Jonesy.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It sounds kind of fun, except it has a lot more micromanaging than I’d like in a game like this.

I just wish we could have a game like the book, where you are fired out of the Navy ship like a bullet at the planet below, fall thru the atmosphere in your capsule, then bounce around the planet in your super-cool powered armor.

This could be fun either as a FPS or as an RTS thing like this new game.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

I'm readying my jar of black goo as we speak

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MrMojok posted:

It sounds kind of fun, except it has a lot more micromanaging than I’d like in a game like this.

I just wish we could have a game like the book, where you are fired out of the Navy ship like a bullet at the planet below, fall thru the atmosphere in your capsule, then bounce around the planet in your super-cool powered armor.

https://youtu.be/ZbwU1TM3r34

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrMojok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXUDlcr0qI

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Space Marine 2 will even have you fighting Tyranids!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Weird Al asks for permission as a courtesy because he's a nice guy, but as stated, he doesn't have to. I think, aside from the Coolio thing, the only person to said no was Prince.

I think the consensus among artists is that if Weird Al wants to parody your song, you've made it and there are few higher ways to be honored.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers_Terran_Command/

I wish it were multiplayer. I would be down for that.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I LOVE base building and this game doesn't have it. I'm also not a huge fan of squad based stuff. As someone said the micromanaging sucks. I'm glad that you can build some defenses and tech buildings but I'm assuming the defenses are at pre-allowed sites like if you take over a compound you can rebuild the gun towers. That's pure speculation though.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

5er posted:

I think the consensus among artists is that if Weird Al wants to parody your song, you've made it and there are few higher ways to be honored.

I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain said almost this exact thing. He realized Nirvana had Made It when Al did a parody of their song.

(I am very much enjoying the Weird Al derail. Adding my favourite artist to my favourite movies discussion? :discourse: )

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

I LOVE base building and this game doesn't have it. I'm also not a huge fan of squad based stuff. As someone said the micromanaging sucks. I'm glad that you can build some defenses and tech buildings but I'm assuming the defenses are at pre-allowed sites like if you take over a compound you can rebuild the gun towers. That's pure speculation though.

Oh there's no base-building? Guess I'll finally play through StarCraft 2 instead.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

chainchompz posted:

Oh there's no base-building? Guess I'll finally play through StarCraft 2 instead.

Yeah I think I read a review today (I have a horrible horrible memory) that said they liked the fact that you don't have to worry about bases.

My main game right now is AOE4 and just a few days ago I had to start up Star Wars: Empire at War for a game or two. I come back to SC and SC2 every once in a while because it really does hit that nice spot.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Oh poo poo star wars empire at war. I haven't thought about that in ages.

In ALIEN thread news I ordered what I thought were the first three alien comics omnibuses but were instead the omnibus novels.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hope you have some time on your hands!

Anyone get the ST game yet? I saw that Hiro got it on steam but I can't remember if that's his name here. It's still getting really good reviews. 988 of them so far with a "very positive" rating. I'm very intrigued.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm pretty sure Kurt Cobain said almost this exact thing. He realized Nirvana had Made It when Al did a parody of their song.

(I am very much enjoying the Weird Al derail. Adding my favourite artist to my favourite movies discussion? :discourse: )

Chamillionaire did as well, when Weird Al did "White & Nerdy":

Chamillionaire posted:

He's Grammy-nominated, man. He goes platinum. It's really an honor when he does that. I remember when he redid Michael Jackson's "Bad". Weird Al is not gonna do a parody of your song if you're not doing it big. You gotta be a big dog.

He also thanked Weird Al after he won his Grammy, telling Weird Al he probably wouldn't have won it if it wasn't for "White & Nerdy" proving that his song was indeed the biggest rap song of that year.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Andy Kelly, one of the few actually good video game industry writers, is crowdfunding the publishing of his book about Alien Isolation. Something to consider chucking some cash at, the boy knows how to write.

https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/1537915106029236226?s=21&t=tNDByMz7IGX08JYtuiuVvQ

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Chamillionaire did as well, when Weird Al did "White & Nerdy":

He also thanked Weird Al after he won his Grammy, telling Weird Al he probably wouldn't have won it if it wasn't for "White & Nerdy" proving that his song was indeed the biggest rap song of that year.

As did Trent Reznor when NIN's "Closer" was included in the end of one of his polkas.

I think the only one who didn't get that was Eminem.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Apparently the thing is getting an anniversary release for a couple dates in the states, jealous af!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This came up in my recommendations, and now I've been thinking about Aliens all morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJvHLf2esZg

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
Mates, I'm thinking about Aliens this morning.

I'm 39, and grew up in a very strict conservative household. Life was going "great" until I went through a divorce 2 years ago. I'm now going on a self discovery journey, trying all the things I missed out on, and about 6 months ago tried marijuana for the first time. Since then I'd tried it a few times with poor results, either no sensation at all or getting "too" high. Well...last night was different.

I've been dating a woman who has been very good for me mentally, she's rad as gently caress. We went on a date last night, grabbed some tacos and ice cream with some friends. Well, some dude at the taco place had a sick tattoo of Ripley and Jonesy on his calf, and from there all I could talk about was Aliens the rest of the night. On the way back to my place I suggested watching Aliens, of which she was totally down for. She tossed out the idea of trying to get me high for it, and I said why not. Holy poo poo...

So for whatever reason, for the first time, I got PERFECTLY high last night. The highlight of the night was me covering my eyes and screaming at the Marines to turn around. I kept saying that they're all going to die and wanted them desperately to turn around, that they're walking straight to their deaths. I remember half laughing half crying when they started to get ambushed. When Ripley and Newt were locked in with the facehugger, I gave her a full tripped out synopsis of Alien, so she had the backstory, including detail of all the sexual symbolism of the facehugger. So then of course things got physical which was an entirely new experience with the combination of visuals and sounds sending me on an interstellar trip.

The movie ended and I was so hosed up she put me to bed, kissed my forehead, and went home.

I'm thinking about Aliens.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MrMojok posted:

If it was like the book it would mostly be cutscenes about how cool bootcamp is

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

Mates, I'm thinking about Aliens this morning.

I'm 39, and grew up in a very strict conservative household. Life was going "great" until I went through a divorce 2 years ago. I'm now going on a self discovery journey, trying all the things I missed out on, and about 6 months ago tried marijuana for the first time. Since then I'd tried it a few times with poor results, either no sensation at all or getting "too" high. Well...last night was different.

I've been dating a woman who has been very good for me mentally, she's rad as gently caress. We went on a date last night, grabbed some tacos and ice cream with some friends. Well, some dude at the taco place had a sick tattoo of Ripley and Jonesy on his calf, and from there all I could talk about was Aliens the rest of the night. On the way back to my place I suggested watching Aliens, of which she was totally down for. She tossed out the idea of trying to get me high for it, and I said why not. Holy poo poo...

So for whatever reason, for the first time, I got PERFECTLY high last night. The highlight of the night was me covering my eyes and screaming at the Marines to turn around. I kept saying that they're all going to die and wanted them desperately to turn around, that they're walking straight to their deaths. I remember half laughing half crying when they started to get ambushed. When Ripley and Newt were locked in with the facehugger, I gave her a full tripped out synopsis of Alien, so she had the backstory, including detail of all the sexual symbolism of the facehugger. So then of course things got physical which was an entirely new experience with the combination of visuals and sounds sending me on an interstellar trip.

The movie ended and I was so hosed up she put me to bed, kissed my forehead, and went home.

I'm thinking about Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0B7bzP-Gog

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
It's a true goon story when the goon fails to get laid at the end.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Why don't you put her in charge?!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mister Speaker posted:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

You'd better just start dealing with it, Mister Speaker. Listen to me. Mister Speaker, just deal with it because we need you and I'm sick of your bullshit. Now I want you to get on a terminal and call up some kind of horneypost. Do you understand? Sexy xenos, xeno sex toys, I don't care, anything that makes people vaguely, unaccountably and uncomfortable aroused, are you listening? I need to see genitals, sexy fan art, xeno sub-dom relationships, every possible way into horneyness. We don't have much time. Mister Speaker, just relax.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Oh hells yeah! Just got tickets for my daughter and I to see the Thing 40th anniversary screening at the local theatre!!! We’ve both been thinking about Aliens (the movie) A LOT and it’s time for her to experience another classic in the best way possible!!!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Nice! I *just* missed a screening of that myself a couple days back. Got to catch it in 2000 when it was an 18 year old movie getting a retro release. When I realised that was closer in time to when the film was made, than it was to today, I felt OLD.

Must have seen it a dozen times, still felt so different on the big screen. My god did John Carpenter have the greatest unbroken string of bangers back in the day. 9 great films without any duds in a row.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Hmm, ‘Precinct 13’ to ‘They Live’ is 10 movies. I rate both of those over ‘The Fog’, ‘Christine’, and ‘Starman’.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The back half of Big Trouble isn’t good though. And it *pains* me to say that. Every time it comes on I’m all “what was I thinking, this owns” and then halfway through it just gets… well, it turns into a late-era Carpenter film and I’m all “ah yes, that was it”.

I know I’m a minority opinion there though, and in contrast I consider The Fog to be possibly his best film alongside Precinct 13 and not enough people give The Fog the respect I feel it deserves.

Ditto Starman which was a wonderful bittersweet change of tone for a horror director. Those “30 years later…” sequels are all the rage these days and I think this film would be ripe for one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Parkingtigers posted:

Ditto Starman which was a wonderful bittersweet change of tone for a horror director. Those “30 years later…” sequels are all the rage these days and I think this film would be ripe for one of those.

It would be amazing if they did this and instead of a "you're not ready yet" note it ended on like "wow humans are now even worse than ever we're never coming back and warning all our advanced alien friends too Earth is officially Alone now forever"