Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

Appears in Velveeta Promotional Set 4

Not gonna lie, they really started phoning it in after Velveeta Promotional Set 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That price to part ratio

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Set came out in 1967, where $2 is now worth today's $17.50. That makes it about $.12 per piece, which is comparative in price to Harry Potter ($.11) or Star Wars ($.13) prices today. AND you still had to get you a block of Velveeta first! LEGOOOOOO! :argh:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mastershakeman posted:

https://youtu.be/59fjdIm0Qjo

Will this vid work for you?

I also ordered that shark set. Maybe for me...

Yea, that's way better! I'm messing with it right now, but probably won't have it fully figured til tomorrow night sometime.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

RatHat posted:

Is that all for one set on backorder?

The emails are for the backordered fishing boat that they had to make double the quantity for.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

w00tazn posted:

The emails are for the backordered fishing boat that they had to make double the quantity for.

Ah yeah I ordered the Kakapo in the 2nd round too but I only started getting the back ordered emails a few months ago

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mastershakeman posted:

https://youtu.be/59fjdIm0Qjo

Will this vid work for you?

I also ordered that shark set. Maybe for me...

Here's a preliminary render - I made color substitutions to keep a similar look with available colors. I feel like the original is dark blue but had to go blue to get the needed parts, and the plate at the tail doesn't come in orange so I changed the oranges to bright light orange. The two front engine pieces I assume are bottom rounded 2x2 plates with prints, I put gray ones on it but they come in a number of colors and prints (including some neat printed bright blue ones that would probably look great).

Slightly different front vehicle mudguard since I think the exact one in the game only comes in black.

I put a 2x3 plate on the bottom of the seat area where I think the original used another 2x2 rounded bottom plate, for stability.

Also the side hoses look to be 7L, which isn't a part - the render shows 8s, you'd have to get those and cut a bit off them to be exact.

I'll put up instructions and a studio file tomorrow.

Edit: This is the part I think might look good on the engines:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...ted%5D#T=C&C=85

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 14, 2022

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So if I’m reading things correctly the Forestman Hideout GWP should go live at midnight tonight?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tallneck finally shipped and will be arriving this evening!

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
What's the estimated price point for the 90th Anniversary Castle? I hear it's going for 350.00 Euros, so USD-wise it'll be over 400 correct?

EDIT: VVV Oh well that's good to hear.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 14, 2022

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

What's the estimated price point for the 90th Anniversary Castle? I hear it's going for 350.00 Euros, so USD-wise it'll be over 400 correct?

Lego prices are usually identical between the EUR and USD.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Here's a preliminary render - I made color substitutions to keep a similar look with available colors. I feel like the original is dark blue but had to go blue to get the needed parts, and the plate at the tail doesn't come in orange so I changed the oranges to bright light orange. The two front engine pieces I assume are bottom rounded 2x2 plates with prints, I put gray ones on it but they come in a number of colors and prints (including some neat printed bright blue ones that would probably look great).

Slightly different front vehicle mudguard since I think the exact one in the game only comes in black.

I put a 2x3 plate on the bottom of the seat area where I think the original used another 2x2 rounded bottom plate, for stability.

Also the side hoses look to be 7L, which isn't a part - the render shows 8s, you'd have to get those and cut a bit off them to be exact.

Awesome

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone been to Legoland parks?

Are they worthwhile for adults at all in the way disney or univeral are, or are they very kiddy

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I went to both the one in Denmark (I think twice, maybe three times) and the one in the UK (once) and I remember them both being awesome for me as a kid, like I got a 'driver's license' driving lego cars on a track and a 'prospector license' using sieves to get gold nuggets from dirt, a bunch of fun rides and lots of building opportunities, but I don't remember much other than that.

I just asked my mum and she said that Denmark was awesome for adults too, on par with any theme park, but the UK park was a disappointment. Keep in mind that we're talking 25ish years ago, so the UK park was super new and underdeveloped at the time.

Also, I just got my Tallneck so that's how I'll be spending my evening and I'm super excited!

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
Yeah the UK one was definitely very kid-focussed (at least 5 years ago when we went). IIRC it wasn't even run by the Lego group, so eg you couldn't collect VIP points at the shop. Kids loved it though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
When I went to the Billund park a few years back, it looked slightly tired, like everything could do with a fresh coat of paint and a touch up. The bonus of going to Billund is the almost next door Lego House which is absolutely worth your time.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Any of you space fans interested in a mix bundle of parts of sets? I have this posted online but have not had any bites yet, willing to give it cheap to a goon home. The little command center display is neat.

https://merc.li/r6PMtVZeb

I’ve burned down most of what I have to sell so I’m at the point that I just want to clear out the last couple random sets.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The_Doctor posted:

When I went to the Billund park a few years back, it looked slightly tired, like everything could do with a fresh coat of paint and a touch up.

Orlando was pretty similar.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sogBO_-vAJY

Supposed to be GWP starting tomorrow as rumored. I still don't see it on the website.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 14, 2022

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

Anyone been to Legoland parks?

Are they worthwhile for adults at all in the way disney or univeral are, or are they very kiddy

Apologies in advance for a whole story supporting "very kiddy", but I figure it's fun enough to share about Legoland in Carlsbad, CA.

Fifteenish years ago, I took my family to Legoland California. At the time, it was a standard amusement park with a pretty thin coat of Lego paint. I don't want to minimize how much fun it was for the little kids in attendance, because the park absolutely nails that demographic. It was fun just to see it all through the kiddos' eyes. When I wanted some proper Lego time, though, I asked my family and friends to spend some time at the hands on robotics exhibit.

The setup was like this: the exhibit had a bunch of prebuilt wheeled robots that were glued together and gave people a chance to decorate one. Then, at a table with lines painted on for the robots to follow, a small group could compete to see how many foam balls our robot could transfer from one hopper to another, following lines between. The game amounted to "who can make a more efficient program with the rearrange-blocks graphical programming language". That was the game for the others at my table, anyway. For me, it was Lego Battlebots.

As an aside, I know I know I know this makes me the rear end in a top hat, because I was griefing a game others--kids included--were trying to play straight. But when I noticed that I could break the glue on the drive gears and swap them from little-to-big (low speed, high torque) to big-to-little (high speed, low torque) without the park staff noticing, well...it was on. The program I set was just "extend arm", then a loop on "go forward, spin" without caring where the previous spin left it pointed.

I don't know if the moment the park staff launched everyone's robots was good enough to justify the price of park tickets and trouble of hauling everyone around all day, but I can still laugh when I think about it coming up on two decades later. Everyone else's robots dutifully whirring to follow their lines to their first visits to pick up balls, and mine absolutely shrieking into the center of the table and swinging itself around like a berserker swinging a mace from horseback. I got maybe three sprints forward and one good collision with a stranger's robot before park staff lifted my robot off the table as though it was somehow disqualified for rules of competition that were never provided.

I didn't protest hard enough to get into parent-at-little-league-game territory, but I did cheerfully try to get the staff to justify their actions against my robot following a different path to victory. They were joyless fucks about the entire situation--especially after one of them inspecting my robot was appalled at my "cheating" by swapping the drive gears and tossed me from the competition. I figured every rule in every sport was put there because someone was smart enough to gain an advantage by trying something new, and I left the robot exhibit with my head held high.

So...yeah, like any other amusement park, its primary function is to be a net that catches money but lets people through. It's already expensive enough to exchange money for plastic at Lego prices, but exchanging money for no plastic is even worse. If you have kids along who love Lego, they'll think the place is heaven on earth. If you don't, I can't recommend the experience.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Waltzing Along posted:

Supposed to be GWP starting tomorrow as rumored. I still don't see it on the website.

I’m staying up until midnight to get it so it better be available then.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Minifig scale astin martin leaked...
https://www.reddit.com/gallery/vc9xwp
I'll definitely get it for $20.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GWP's don't usually go that fast in my experience.

What happened at the start of the month with the Cardboard Adventures set was just a weird case of a GWP that had been running for a few weeks already getting extended into the new month, but since it had already been running there wasn't much stock left so it all disappeared in moments when the June 1st releases went up.

And that was only in the US anyway, stock lasted a few more days in Europe before we ran out.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Lego land CA suuuuuucks, my kid was 4 at the time and even she was ready to go after an hour and a half.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Help me out, dudes and dudettes.

Optimus Prime set lists the "dark blue" colored pieces as "Earth Blue".

Brick Link doesn't list Earth Blue in any pieces I was searching... just Dark Blue, etc.
Is Earth Blue = Dark Blue?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Yeah Bricklink has its own color names because the official LEGO ones are bad.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

a sexual elk posted:

Lego land CA suuuuuucks, my kid was 4 at the time and even she was ready to go after an hour and a half.

Kids and I have gone twice, three years apart, and enjoyed the heck out of it both times. Stayed all day.

Edit: in other content, Zavvi has the Viking Ship for $99 (and some other deals). It's not even officially out in the US until Aug 1st.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 14, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah Bricklink has its own color names because the official LEGO ones are bad.

Their naming scheme is definitely odd.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So just to confirm. Earth Blue on Optimus is just (if I’m ordering pieces) Dark blue?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Waltzing Along posted:

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m staying up until midnight to get it so it better be available then.

It'll be available, I've already got mine (I'm in New Zealand so it's 11am on June 15th as I write this). It showed up in my shopping basket at midnight before any advertising for it appeared on the website.

Feenix posted:

So just to confirm. Earth Blue on Optimus is just (if I’m ordering pieces) Dark blue?

Yes

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Weird, the UK site is advertising the GWP set, but even with £200 in the basket, it’s not adding.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Uranus Brown is what Bricklink calls Reddish Brown.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Here's the instructions:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z8sPPHxL5BmqWipGFFT6ssqSW0rouPeE/view?usp=sharing

And here's the model (be sure to download the whole thing at the top, Drive tries to show it as archive contents):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P3gpR4iVu7Sp9jcIxa3QCyVetQW6MZVX/view?usp=sharing

I tried to make this as sturdy as I could but it still has some weaknesses, it's lightweight though so it might be alright.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

If I remember correctly, it's midnight EST when the deal goes live, so 11/10 for the rest of us, right?

I figure this is as good a time as any to get the Haunted House.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Here's the instructions:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z8sPPHxL5BmqWipGFFT6ssqSW0rouPeE/view?usp=sharing

And here's the model (be sure to download the whole thing at the top, Drive tries to show it as archive contents):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1P3gpR4iVu7Sp9jcIxa3QCyVetQW6MZVX/view?usp=sharing

I tried to make this as sturdy as I could but it still has some weaknesses, it's lightweight though so it might be alright.

You guys are so amazing at figuring this stuff out. A ton of the connections are things I've never thought of

And I figured the bars on the side were just a horse cart type thing, not a flexible tube. Crazy

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

Back in 2011, the family took a trip to Disneyland. I was only like 2 years out of my Lego dark ages then, so I decided to take a side-trip to Legoland CA. I think it cost me $90 for a bus tour from Anaheim to Carlsbad, plus the fairly high admission price. None of the rest of the family was interested in skipping a day at Disneyland, so I went alone, like a proper goon.
Miniland was pretty neat, and they had a big Star Wars miniland setup. But that was...pretty much it. Every attraction was very preteen focused. Some of the attractions wanted more money on top of the admission price. The on-site Lego store wasn't an actual Lego Store, although it had a PAB, it was very limited and charged per quarter pound. There was nothing exclusive there.
I decided it wasn't really worth the cost of either the bus ride or the admission price, especially if you don't have young, Lego-interested kids. And only then if you have the free kids admission passes from polybags and stuff.

I'm sure it's changed a fair amount over the past decade, but looking at their page now, it's still very kid-focused. There's obviously some updated dioramas I'd like to see, but I'm sure not spending $95-105 to look at them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Here's a silly question. Can you commission designs in Lego? Like for specific objects? What's that process like?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Literally A Person posted:

Here's a silly question. Can you commission designs in Lego? Like for specific objects? What's that process like?
I have definitely received a custom Lego model of my dog that my ex bought through an IG ad. It took forever to get here but it’s cool. So I’m sure they’d make something besides a pet.
https://twitter.com/boco_t/status/1514615445675933709

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That is incredibly sweet! But as a gift I don't figure you know about how much it cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

If I remember correctly, it's midnight EST when the deal goes live, so 11/10 for the rest of us, right?

I figure this is as good a time as any to get the Haunted House.

Thanks, I was wondering about that. Similarly I'm going for City Gardens.

E: Yup, it was Eastern. Well that was certainly nothing like trying to get a new hype set on launch.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 15, 2022