Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Diablo IV is going to look like a mix of what the executives overreacting to the criticism of Diablo III's launch and whatever poo poo they want ripped right out if competing games.

Which means it's going to be black and grey and hard to see anything because that's what John Q. Geek thinks gothic means, it's going to be whatever bastardaziation of Diablo III's competitors were in 2012, and appeal to white boys with skeletons named Jake.

It's just an open question if how much the monetization's going to be. The game's probably going to be fine, but being just okay is a mortal sin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Star Man posted:

The game's probably going to be fine, but being just okay is a mortal sin.

I mean, you're not wrong. The world is full of truly excellent video games. I play way too many games and even I don't have enough time to play all the good ones, much less the mediocre ones. Same deal with TV and movies to be honest, there's just a ton of good poo poo out there now and not enough hours in the day to waste with NBC's latest procedural crime drama or laugh track sitcom.

So, yeah, if it comes out and it's just kinda OK but not actually good, pass.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Star Man posted:

Which means it's going to be black and grey and hard to see anything because that's what John Q. Geek thinks gothic means, it's going to be whatever bastardaziation of Diablo III's competitors were in 2012, and appeal to white boys with skeletons named Jake.

I am glad Blizzard are bringing desync to Diablo 4

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I remember at least one reviewer testifying that Torchlight 2 was what Diablo 3 should have been.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

FWIW launch D3 did have personal/instanced loot. What it took multiple patch cycles to resolve was identifying items (you used to need to ID magic blue and rare yellows!) and markers for legendaries.

I think most OG legendaries were garbage anyway, since they didn't roll for your level - they were specific items like in D2.

I also remember playing for the first time on Inferno (Barbarian) with my friend (Demon Hunter). Act 1 was somewhat doable, if tedious - I think the only viable thing I could do was keep spamming Revenge for HP regeneration and all the +Health party boosts, while the DH whittled down mobs. A2 bugs just slaughtered us, I think we barely made it into town.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1536787541478842378

This game looks like doggy dogshit in outworld areas. The player character is just one big shadow (and monsters too for that matter). This is what happens when you listen to boomer neckbeards.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Orc Priest posted:

This game looks like doggy dogshit in outworld areas. The player character is just one big shadow (and monsters too for that matter). This is what happens when you listen to boomer neckbeards.

It really doesn't look great in footage like this. Shadows fighting in the land of grey mud. Hopefully higher level armours, enemies and attacks are more interesting...?

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Chalks posted:

It really doesn't look great in footage like this. Shadows fighting in the land of grey mud. Hopefully higher level armours, enemies and attacks are more interesting...?

From what I've seen the game looks much, much better when playing inside dungeons since they are well lit. But I'm guessing you'll be spending a ton of time outside (where it looks horrible) because this game has an open world and you better believe they are going to make use of it

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 55 minutes!
Playing D1 I felt oppressed and vulnerable, and the aesthetic was terrifying. Hell was super scary, tons of blood knights, people being tortured and crucified, all kinds of demonic stuff. The more punishing death mechanics and less escapes probably added to to the scary feeling. D2 and 3 toned all of that down so I'm glad they're ratcheting at least the D4 atmosphere back towards D1.

Also I hope there's titty-demons.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Games > Diablo III: Also I hope there's titty-demons

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
The next step for grimdark is a black screen with sounds playing in the background.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Orc Priest posted:

it looks fine, it's a muddy beach with overcast lighting and twitter video compression rips all the fidelity out of it

diablo 4 looks better than diablo 3, sorry

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Wheeee posted:

it looks fine, it's a muddy beach with overcast lighting and twitter video compression rips all the fidelity out of it

Star Man posted:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I think it looks good.

One thing to keep in mind with environments that have limited color saturation and a narrow gamut of colors is that this leaves artists some breathing room to reserve more saturated/contrasty effects for characters and VFX.

That helps a ton with combat legibility. Even in the poop beach necromancer clip, notice how the red in the necromancer abilities makes it extremely easy to see where corpses are and which enemies are affected by curses. PoE struggles horribly with this stuff and Diablo 3 handled it pretty well, this is one aspect of the game that I am the least concerned about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Who names their skeleton, and why would you settle on naming it Jake

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Necro is the stoner class

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Jake From Skeleton Farm

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Wheeee posted:

It doesn't really look overcast at all. Every model is casting a very sharp shadow. It looks like it's an extremely sunny day, but there's a filter on the camera that makes everything darker.

It would look much better if it actually was overcast because then everything wouldn't just be a black outline.

Presumably the lighting engine is simulating indirect lighting like you'd get on a normal sunny day, but the camera filter is making it impossible to see any detail on the character when it's in shadow. The overall effect is like I'm looking at a very small person being lit by a desk lamp.

I don't mind it not being super colourful or whatever, it can be dark without being bland and indistinct.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdwYXdMM/?k=1

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94wQxtv_sAc

looks good tbh

it'll probably end up all hosed up and lovely from monetization and open world syndrome but the fundamentals look good

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
I think the dungeon gameplay looks great. If the open world stuff distracts from that it will be very bad.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

not a fan of how much they mention pvp. seems like whenever pvp is in a pve game poo poo gets neutered so it doesnt become too good in pvp.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm a little apprehensive having to do quests to get a key for a rift and then have to travel to specific dungeons. Seems like it's adding busywork to the D3 system of running rifts.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I'm a little apprehensive having to do quests to get a key for a rift and then have to travel to specific dungeons. Seems like it's adding busywork to the D3 system of running rifts.

Exactly... this is what I mean by the open world stuffing getting in the way of the dungeons. If I have to waste a bunch of time running around on my mount just to get a key for a nightmare dungeon, that is going to get old very quick.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Scoss posted:

One thing to keep in mind with environments that have limited color saturation and a narrow gamut of colors is that this leaves artists some breathing room to reserve more saturated/contrasty effects for characters and VFX.
But do they do that? The only colours that REALLY pop are blood reds. The small bits of sorc spells in that dev video look just as sad and desaturated as the rest of the game.

Seriously. The fun part is that we have D2R now to compare D4 to, and as we all know D2 is perfection. Here's a sorc spell video. Compare the meteor in that to the one in the dev video. It's night and day. Also note while you're at it that the outside parts of Act I in D2 are... actually pretty green.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

bio347 posted:

But do they do that? The only colours that REALLY pop are blood reds. The small bits of sorc spells in that dev video look just as sad and desaturated as the rest of the game.

Seriously. The fun part is that we have D2R now to compare D4 to, and as we all know D2 is perfection. Here's a sorc spell video. Compare the meteor in that to the one in the dev video. It's night and day. Also note while you're at it that the outside parts of Act I in D2 are... actually pretty green.

You can actually see poo poo in D2R because the devs made a remake that is faithful to the real D2, and not the D2 in the imaginations of certain players. Let's hope Vicarious Visions is given the reigns to make their own Diablo game after the success of D2R.

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

Wheeee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94wQxtv_sAc

looks good tbh

it'll probably end up all hosed up and lovely from monetization and open world syndrome but the fundamentals look good

weird tonal dissonance between the dark gritty atmosphere and the shaky-voiced devs that sound like they're fresh out of college

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

At first I didn't like that D3 was so colorful, but that didn't stop me from putting in around 300 hours. I liked that the classes were very distinct, visually, and the spell effects were cool.

I think D4 looks cool too.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Having played a few hours of D:I, I hear people saying it's good (with awful monetization) but it feels...bad? Idk, it feels like someone made a very strong Diablo 3 clone, which it essentially is, but it has that distinct "clone" feel to it that I find off-putting. Like when a product you like suddenly becomes mass produced and the new version is similar but not what it used to be.

I've been playing the Wizard and the spell options are all pretty bad IMO. None of them really feel like the Wizard from D3, and the progression of abilities doesn't feel right. You get teleport around level 7, which has such a short range that it's only useful for getting out of enemy AOEs and barriers, and the fact that every ability is basically just a regular cooldown makes everything feel kind of weak, like they're just part of a routine rotation similar to basic attack abilities in FF14. I don't feel like a badass wizard with powerful spells, I feel like I have 5 weak abilities that, despite sucking, deal enough damage to wipe out every enemy group I've encountered with very little resistance.

In D3 I remember the disintegrate spell feeling powerful as gently caress. Maybe it's because the ranges (which are certainly shorter due to the mobile screen size) but all of my spells feel so limp.

Also the controls are not great on mobile. I've had a lot of situations where my rays (disintegrate and frost) go all over the place rather than where I want them to, or my knockback ability charges up only to end up shooting directly opposite where I intended it to go.

It doesn't feel particularly fun, and knowing that it's a huge money sink in the end game is making me just want to pack up my bags and delete it. I'm enjoying my time with it in the same way I enjoy scrolling on Instagram: it's truly mindless and not at all rewarding

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 15, 2022

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

supabump posted:

weird tonal dissonance between the dark gritty atmosphere and the shaky-voiced devs that sound like they're fresh out of college

Yeah it's pretty funny the difference. I picture the puberty guy from Simpsons explaining the game to me lol

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

There's also the fact that you are playing a watered down version of a game you've been playing for 10 years.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Here is some color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiPTEslP2GE

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

sorry, I'm completely distracted by that weird foreword. why did they include that

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

That ice cave looks really good, shame about all the open world areas though

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

bio347 posted:

The fun part is that we have D2R now to compare D4 to, and as we all know D2 is perfection.

This isn't r/diablo, lol. D2 has plenty of dumb poo poo and jank in it. The remaster does look great and it's nice to not play in 800x600 anymore.

Definitely not getting hyped about 4 though with all I've seen. I don't really care about the graphics much as long as the gameplay and endgame isn't poo poo. I don't want it to be MMO-ey but here we are. My multiplayer experience was "gently caress that, I'm not sharing drops" in D2 and "alright let's group up for the first 3 hours of the season and then later on again for bounties only" in D3. This is probably my most played series of games ever in terms of hours played and I haven't bothered to try DI and definitely waiting for reviews and more footage once released for D4. Blizzard has really lost the plot IMO.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I wonder if part of the reason mounts were added is because every single build slots a movement skill in d3, so it could mean that isn’t necessary. We all know it’s to sell mount skins though.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Arzachel posted:

That ice cave looks really good, shame about all the open world areas though
The lighting in that ice cave is phenomenal, in particular.

I'm assuming that health bars above monster heads will be a thing, because the lack is really throwing me off. I'm having a real hard time identifying the PC from the humanoid mobs in, eg, that very first "green" (lol) open world area. Perhaps it's because the lighting seems to be from the top of the screen, leaving the part of the characters you see in shadow?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

bio347 posted:

The lighting in that ice cave is phenomenal, in particular.

I'm assuming that health bars above monster heads will be a thing, because the lack is really throwing me off. I'm having a real hard time identifying the PC from the humanoid mobs in, eg, that very first "green" (lol) open world area. Perhaps it's because the lighting seems to be from the top of the screen, leaving the part of the characters you see in shadow?

Usually that's a UI toggle. These previews have all been really cagey about the UI elements for whatever reason, probably because most blizzard fans are just the worst. Iirc older previews had like a flash thing when an enemy was hit which gave you an indication you'd landed a blow. This was highly criticized on various message boards.

I hope there's day / night cycles in the open world. I always loved that in Diablo 2.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
One thing this game was supposed to be doing that looked really interesting was the rune system. Runes words were composed of an effect rune and an activation rune. You could mix and match to make your own runeword effect. This had a massive amount of potential and I thought it was going to be the core tenet of itemization. Unfortunately they haven't said a word about runes in years so it's anybody's guess whether they are still in the game or if they've been scrapped.

Orc Priest fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Wheeee posted:

Isn't muddy beach with overcast lighting exactly how Path of Exile starts