Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Surprised Vegas bit on someone before Trotz made a decision

Then again, new league year is July 1 and you kinda want a coach in place before then

I would bet that most of the teams have a coach lined up , basically signed, but they’re waiting until after the finals to announce it.

The rumors that the Flyers are leaning towards Torts could basically be they signed him but are only saying it as a “rumor” for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So a lot of smoke today that if Keith retires that cap recapture will not be implemented which:

1) lmao the canucks got so hosed
2) this is bullshit, if Keith retires the Oilers were supposed to get Keith's space +3.4 million
3) gently caress Chicago they don't deserve mercy

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
I would have been happier with Cassidy than some of the other options the Stars are said to be considering, but it looked like it was moving away from him the last week and towards Peter DeBoer :(

Oh well, Vegas will be a great spot for him to jump right into a bounce back cup contender situation and a potential Jack Adams award before the inevitable implosion in a few years.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Duckman2008 posted:

I would bet that most of the teams have a coach lined up , basically signed, but they’re waiting until after the finals to announce it.

The rumors that the Flyers are leaning towards Torts could basically be they signed him but are only saying it as a “rumor” for now.

Presumably so he can collect his entire talking head paycheck first

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1536545450987118592

Flyers counteroffer: Free beer and cheesesteaks

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So a lot of smoke today that if Keith retires that cap recapture will not be implemented which:

1) lmao the canucks got so hosed
2) this is bullshit, if Keith retires the Oilers were supposed to get Keith's space +3.4 million
3) gently caress Chicago they don't deserve mercy

love how the nhl makes rules that they just enforce on whims

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Cassidy is a good coach for Vegas since he seems to work better with veteran players for whatever reason

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Put me down for November 18 for the first "Cassidy and Eichel hate each other" article

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

And free cancer from our zambinis.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

All I need to know is which players are enthusiastic cat havers. So far the list is Kadri and everyone else can get hosed.

The only other hockey players I can think of that owned cats are Marleau and Bryzgalov and theyre both retired.

I imagine Brent Burns has at least 2 since he is building Noah's ark.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I'm just going to assume Philly will hire Torts at this point, and I'm still gonna be pissed about it

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

fisting by many posted:

Drance and Dayal just wrote an article (The Athletic, $) about gritty free agent targets for the Canucks. Here's what they say about Deslauriers.

quote:

It’s great to have Ryan Reaves on your team, and Rutherford once traded a first-round pick for the New York Rangers heavyweight

I forgot about this, but I'm thankful for the reminder.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Zodijackylite posted:

I forgot about this, but I'm thankful for the reminder.

And Oskar Sundqvist who proved to be very useful on the Blues way to the cup.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

And Oskar Sundqvist who proved to be very useful on the Blues way to the cup.

Yeah, but it’s unlikely the Pens would have ever called him up from the minors!

Did he even play a game for Pittsburgh?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah he played enough (14 regular season games, 2 playoff games) to get on the Cup in 15-16, Sullivan never liked him though.

Sundqvist must be an over the top trash talker because I've never seen more players go out of their way to take runs at any one guy than him. It happened in Pittsburgh and in St. Louis.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

And they won't throw batteries at him.

For the 1st 2 seasons.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Hey, now, don't go making promises we all know you won't be able to keep.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Maybe a private jet so Trotz doesn't have to actually live in Winnipeg and can commute from somewhere less awful.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Worked great for Torts and the Canucks

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1536907580806774788

the biggest :sickos: of the postseason (so far)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh good. Great.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I truly hope they offered to Trotz and he turned it down. Otherwise, end me.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I was in Philly this weekend and spotted a small piece of Flyers memorabilia at a bar and commented on it. The bartender told me that the Flyers players sometimes come in after games/after hours and watch their games on TV while their girlfriends played pool. Wayne Simmonds apparently liked watching his own fights on hockeyfights.com while his teammates critiqued his technique.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Manitoba is the only place in my life I've seen pickle flavoured beer. Just saying.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Dunno if I'm gonna really bother watching at all this season because it'll be the absolute worst kind of shitshow

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Manitoba is the only place in my life I've seen pickle flavoured beer. Just saying.

You should get out more. There’s lots of places with pickle beer. It’s all pretty bad.

Honestly, Trotz needs to be in any other division. Too many of us had to put up with it when he was in Nashville and it’s just boring to watch. And just as they got rid of Bowness in Dallas.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
I’m actually curious how Fletcher views the Flyers roster, because the core is old and nothing special, and besides Cam York there isn’t really any help coming internally. Like this is not a contending team, and making/missing the playoffs and drafting in the mid-1st every year is just ensuring the mediocrity continues.

But since the Flyers brass refuses to rebuild, I guess hiring Torts might sneak them back in a playoff spot and earn 2-3 games of extra home game revenue

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I dont know why Torts even wants the Flyers job. Broadcasting seems like a much better gig

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Dirty Burger posted:

I’m actually curious how Fletcher views the Flyers roster, because the core is old and nothing special, and besides Cam York there isn’t really any help coming internally. Like this is not a contending team, and making/missing the playoffs and drafting in the mid-1st every year is just ensuring the mediocrity continues.

But since the Flyers brass refuses to rebuild, I guess hiring Torts might sneak them back in a playoff spot and earn 2-3 games of extra home game revenue

Fletcher’s job would not survive a rebuild , so might as well swing for edging into that wildcard spot.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah this is a nightmare of Fletchers own making at this point. They admitted the Hextall plan didn’t work out and tried to save it instead of scrapping it because attendance is awful and the fan base isn’t mad anymore, they’re apathetic. They’ve drafted like poo poo and kept trying to build a team full of 2nd/3rd line guys. Other than Giroux I honest to god can’t tell you the last time this team had a no doubt top line superstar player. It’s been nothing but pass-first “defensively responsible” safe choices. It’s been boring as hell.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 15, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Other than Giroux I honest to god can’t tell you the last time this team had a no doubt top line superstar player.

Tyler Pitlick.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

At least it'll be entertaining

https://twitter.com/zoowithroy/status/1537034572222844930?t=kZHbuh-NNIkd3YWhQZulTQ&s=19

shyduck fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 15, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Torts is going to drag this team of Coots, Atkinson, and a shitload of 3rd line nobodies kicking and screaming to a series of wild card seeds (Hey, maybe 2 consecutive playoff appearances for once!) with quiet first round exits and they will keep drafting guys who wouldn't shoot the goddamn puck if their lives depended on it and Hart is going to put up Vezina numbers as we lose every game 2-1 Jesus loving hell he is Jacob DeGrom and the rest of this team is the goddamn mets except even the loving mets have hope these days holy poo poo

we have less hope than the god damned mets

think about that

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Was reading this draft article on The Athletic and I think this draft is gonna have some teams getting steals for the Russian players

quote:

Scout 3: “We’re not picking any Russians, I can tell you that. Those orders came from way over my head.”

Scout 4: “One third of the league likely sees an opportunity to get some good players at value, another third will take them but only when they’re clearly the best player available, and another third will say ‘no thank you.’”

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I will not be shocked if the Flyers with Torts make the playoffs next year, with the Caps and/or Pens fading out.

I will also not be surprised if it's Canucks 2: Cheesesteak Boogaloo and he's gone in a year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

Torts is going to drag this team of Coots, Atkinson, and a shitload of 3rd line nobodies kicking and screaming to a series of wild card seeds (Hey, maybe 2 consecutive playoff appearances for once!) with quiet first round exits and they will keep drafting guys who wouldn't shoot the goddamn puck if their lives depended on it and Hart is going to put up Vezina numbers as we lose every game 2-1 Jesus loving hell he is Jacob DeGrom and the rest of this team is the goddamn mets except even the loving mets have hope these days holy poo poo

we have less hope than the god damned mets

think about that

So….you’re saying there’s a chance?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Porty, in the same article where he talked about CBJ acquiring grinders:

quote:

It was mentioned in this space more than a month ago, but doesn’t former Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella just seem like a natural fit in Philadelphia? The Flyers need an influx of talent, sure, but the organization has completely lost its identity and the connection it has always had with the fan base. Nobody would restore that quicker than Tortorella, who has spent the last year working for ESPN and waiting for an opening. The NHL is a better, more interesting league when Tortorella is coaching. Imagine the Flyers-Penguins games with Tortorella behind the bench. Word from afar is that Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher isn’t keen on hiring Tortorella — in fairness, Tortorella can be tough on GMs — but that organization needs a jolt.

https://theathletic.com/3360228/2022/06/12/blue-jackets-offseason-moves-toughness/

e- That last line. Woof.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 15, 2022

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Torts would absolutely somehow drag them to the playoffs while still being a poo poo team getting knocked out in the first round and completely gently caress up any chance of getting a good draft position

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

triple sulk posted:

Torts would absolutely somehow drag them to the playoffs while still being a poo poo team getting knocked out in the first round and completely gently caress up any chance of getting a good draft position

Let's not pretend they wouldn't gently caress up a high pick anyway if they were to get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I will not be shocked if the Flyers with Torts make the playoffs next year, with the Caps and/or Pens fading out.

I will also not be surprised if it's Canucks 2: Cheesesteak Boogaloo and he's gone in a year.

The ecosystem in the Metro could result in this. When you look at it:
-The Canes and Rags are here to stay for a while.
-The Caps may field enough of a team to get in.
-I'm not ready to sleep on the Pens finding a way to get in just yet.
-The Devils are the Devils and everyone is going to say they're going to have a better season than they actually do.
-The wild cards to me are the Isles (if they can get it going again) and Jackets (if they can fix the D and if the young talent pans out).

Flyera could easily leapfrog a few of these teams with Torts.