Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Boy, no clip bail I've ever read has pissed me off quite as much as that. A combo of knowing from second hand accounts that he's a good guy, and the Who connection I guess, but drat that's slimy.

Edit: Oh no another page.

Way later edit: Seems some stories are covering it more sincerely now, I saw a few pop up in my feed with the actual context included. So that's nice.

McGann fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1536392961600126976

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neil Patrick Harris does really well as smarmy, self-confident villains who react with "No, impossible! You can never defeat me!" when their comeuppance comes, but unfortunately there are just no roles like that in an RTD-led Doctor Who.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So, the Valeyard, then? That might salvage the whole Timeless Child thing: the Valeyard has been tampering with Time using the Matrix to change the Doctor's past.

"And soon, Doctor, I will see things YOUR way! Uh, I mean, I will see things MY way! Or, uh, you will see things YOUR way!"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'll bet my entire life savings that the Valeyard is never referenced again past a throwaway line.

Nor will the Timeless Child after Chibnall leaves, probably.

It's still weird to me that Neil Patrick Harris is playing middle-aged or older characters now. He was really good in It's a Sin, and his accent even sounded quite good, if memory serves.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rochallor posted:

It's still weird to me that Neil Patrick Harris is playing middle-aged or older characters now. He was really good in It's a Sin, and his accent even sounded quite good, if memory serves.

Yeah, he was fantastic in It's a Sin. Also It's a Sin was fantastic. Everybody should watch It's a Sin.

Rochallor posted:

Nor will the Timeless Child after Chibnall leaves, probably.

I think even Chibnall straight up admitted that RTD will probably just ignore the entire thing, which is what it deserves.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
even timeless child must be referenced again eventually. i think valeyard will be back at some point, everything will be back later or laterer!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

even timeless child must be referenced again eventually. i think valeyard will be back at some point, everything will be back later or laterer!!!

Quirky modern-day London companion: I found this in the rubbish bin.... what's a timeless child?
23rd Doctor: Oh great, I've been meaning to take care of that!
pushes the button that dumps the rubbish into a black hole

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
FINALLY, the Doctor will explain how the events of Timelash happened!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Everything surfaces on Big Finish sooner or later. Just do it as a comedy throwaway one-off behind an Oh Christ Not the Daleks Again that ran 30 minutes too short. Three Doctors and a Timeless Child. Look Who's Timeless Now. Who cares, let the fans sort out what's canon like always

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is it weird that I hate the Timeless Child stuff, but I would also not be happy if they literally ignored it? Continuity in Doctor Who is refreshingly loose, but I think it would feel a bit off if it literally wasn't there at all. This wasn't a throwaway line like "half human on my mother's side." There was a whole big flashy story specifically about this concept. A story that also killed the Time Lords off again. That was another frustrating idea, but if the Time Lords just showed up again no worse for wear, it would feel weird.

Likewise if they just literally pretend like the Timeless Child never happened it would feel kind of awkward. I suppose they could accept that it happened and just never mention it or explore the implications, but if they're going to actually retcon it they're going to have to actually address it, not just deny that it happened. And even that seems like a pretty bad idea now that I say it out loud.

It's a mess however you look at it and I don't envy whoever's job it ends up being to clean it up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's really the problem with the Timeless Child concept - it takes up almost the entirety of Whittaker's run as Doctor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
could just fix the worst bits about it, it's fine for there to have been more secret doctor whos, whatever, but the whole magic baby --> torture -- > timelords time travel triangle part friggin sucks. i don't remember all the details and still havent seen the most recent ninja turtle special but i think they can still "master did it, fooled you all along" for a lot of the worst parts?

people need to stop doing torture. it doesn't even work irl!!! it definitely doesn't need to be woven into the time travelling blue box story!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Khanstant posted:

but i think they can still "master did it, fooled you all along" for a lot of the worst parts?

A reminder that the entire backstory is given to her by the Master, a notorious liar, and that what he uses as proof is the infallible evidence of The Matrix... a device that was introduced in its first ever story as a machine that was co-opted so it could give false evidence, and the person who figured out how to make it fake evidence in that first story was.... the Master!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

A reminder that the entire backstory is given to her by the Master, a notorious liar, and that what he uses as proof is the infallible evidence of The Matrix... a device that was introduced in its first ever story as a machine that was co-opted so it could give false evidence, and the person who figured out how to make it fake evidence in that first story was.... the Master!

Yeah, but then all that information was confirmed by Barbara Flynn's character in the most recent season, in what was a deeply miserable waste of a very gifted actress.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Also, if it was just the Master lying about everything... then what was the point of the episode?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, but then all that information was confirmed by Barbara Flynn's character in the most recent season, in what was a deeply miserable waste of a very gifted actress.

She also said she ran an organization that was extremely well-organized and that she was a smart and capable person who was always a step ahead of everybody else, and that turned out to be a loving lie.

But in all seriousness, the Doctor (from memory) asked her,"So is all that stuff the Master told me true?" and she said yes.... but how does she know what the Master told her? Maybe the Master bumped into her at the "Villains with Frankly Quite Nonsensical Plans for Universal Domination" mixer and said,"Hey I'm gonna tell the Doctor that we wear those high collars because Rassilon's original incarnation had dandruff and was super-sensitive about it and there's nothing you can do to stop me!"? :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I NEVER THOUGHT I'D BE TURNED INTO DUST BY THE SUGAR SKULL GANG!" weeps villainous mastermind who instituted the,"RELEASE THE SUGAR SKULL GANG WHO CAN TURN PEOPLE INTO DUST!" plan.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm going to do my 2nd pilgrimage of the entire run. It's always tough going through the 2nd doctor just based on the amount of recon. As much as I'm grateful for loose cannon is there any updated version of them anywhere/alternative?

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 14, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The only thing that really sucks about the Timeless Child as a concept is the idea that the Doctor was special IMO. The only way I can think of to fix that is functionally the same as ignoring it: she finds a whole society of Timeless Children and discovers that they are staid, imperialistic traditionalists, just like the Time Lords, and she was just some kid they abandoned for some reason. "It doesn't matter who I was, I know who I am!" is probably about as good of an ending as we need to that concept, and the only shame about that is that Jo Martin as the Doctor will probably be relegated to Big Finish.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Confusedslight posted:

I'm going to do my 2nd pilgrimage of the entire run. It's always tough going through the 2nd doctor just based on the amount of recon. As much as I'm grateful for loose cannon is there any updated version of them anywhere/alternative?

At this point, thanks to the animations, there aren’t a lot of Troughton which are recon only!

I think it’s just Highlanders, Underwater Menace, Wheel in Space and Space Pirates (once Snowmen gets out).

The bigger issue is Season 3, where to be honest there’s not much better than the recons. There might be fanmade animations on Dailymotion, but I’m not convinced they’re better than the LC recons.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Of course! Thanks! Didn't realise just how much animation they've done! Classic especially early classic has such a cozy factor I just can't properly articulate.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Also, if it was just the Master lying about everything... then what was the point of the episode?

if the point of the episode is ruining doctor who, what's the point of not making a lie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Haven’t they done Wheel in Space as well? I thought I saw animation somewhere of the robot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

Haven’t they done Wheel in Space as well? I thought I saw animation somewhere of the robot.

The cut-down version of episode one was made in 2018 and was released with The Macra Terror in 2019; it removes references to Victoria's departure, the introduction of the wheel crew, and the TARDIS's cubic food gag

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

They did some 10 minute truncation of the first ep as a bonus feature on some DVD ... for some reason. Not the whole thing*

*It did, of course, set off the few people still hopelessly clinging to the Omni-Rumor, as they claim this is proof Wheel HAS to be back.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/soundsmythprod/status/1536765438847340544

I think Six could've pulled it off rather well, all things considered

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1536664777212235777

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 14, 2022

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lol

After hearing him voice the Riddler, I'd watch him be a Doctor Who villain

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Also apparently the Division didn't bother doing anything until the 13th Doctor, including the Time War because ???? Also they're everywhere but also just some lady with a tree and an ood.

The Last Adventure is the best ending to the Valeyard story. Colin Baker and Michael Jayston are incredible together.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1536423691370004481?s=20&t=EE5q5ZKdMR8HLl4L8p5_EA

Scarily accurate.

Also, lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, that's great.

Peri sneaking a peek :lol:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Supposedly Maureen O'Brien said at a convention that she recorded "Behind the Sofa" segments for a Season 2 set. That's the most intact season from the 1960s; it's missing only two episodes from one story.

Then there are persistent rumors of a "wilderness years" set with the TV movie, Curse of the Fatal Death, More than Thirty Years in the TARDIS, and various DVD documentaries that weren't included on season sets.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I could buy a Season 2, Part 1 Blu-ray set covering Planet of Giants to The Web Planet, given there are no recons needed to be made.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Action Jacktion posted:

Supposedly Maureen O'Brien said at a convention that she recorded "Behind the Sofa" segments for a Season 2 set. That's the most intact season from the 1960s; it's missing only two episodes from one story.

Oh that would be cool. Yeah, The Crusade is missing two of the four episodes, and the first episode was only found in 1999!

It'll be nice to have The Dalek Invasion of Earth on blu-ray :)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

From everything I’ve heard, a Crusade animation is cost-prohibitive due to the large number of characters needed.
I suspect the only way we’re going to get it animated for the bluray is for them to use the same people who did The Web of Fear: 3 but even then the animation costs may exceed the available budget.

Still, at least we have tele-snaps so a reconstruction won’t require as much work as a lot of the Season 3 stories…

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Zaroff posted:

From everything I’ve heard, a Crusade animation is cost-prohibitive due to the large number of characters needed.
I suspect the only way we’re going to get it animated for the bluray is for them to use the same people who did The Web of Fear: 3 but even then the animation costs may exceed the available budget.

Still, at least we have tele-snaps so a reconstruction won’t require as much work as a lot of the Season 3 stories…

I have reconstructions of all the lost episodes and the Crusades is definitely one of the better ones, along with Marco Polo.

The Macra Terror is easily the worst. There's like 6 remaining stills that it was cobbled together from.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Oyster posted:

The Macra Terror is easily the worst. There's like 6 remaining stills that it was cobbled together from.

Which Macra reconstruction are you watching? The story has a full set of about 300 tele-snaps, and the most recent Loose Cannon recon (which is about 15 years old at this point) is a lot better than what you’re describing.

Although, the best recon available is whatever they put on the animated releases - they are compiled by one of the guys who used to work with LC.

Zaroff fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He's not James Bond you know!

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1537049964416745472?s=20&t=DvIw4Wuck-Kg3UUfH7ux0g