Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

Isn't muddy beach with overcast lighting exactly how Path of Exile starts

I just played POE last night with a low level character and yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Orc Priest posted:

One thing this game was supposed to be doing that looked really interesting was the rune system. Runes words were composed of an effect rune and an activation rune. You could mix and match to make your own runeword effect. This had a massive amount of potential and I thought it was going to be the core tenet of itemization. Unfortunately they haven't said a word about runes in years so it's anybody's guess whether they are still in the game or if they've been scrapped.
There's a line in the quarterly update that I just find fascinating:

quote:

Bone skills are relatively physical in nature, and thus benefit more heavily from effects such as Critical Strike.
Why does being "relatively physical" benefit more heavily from effects "such as" crit? As opposed to which other stats? What are these other "such as" stats, too? What does this mean for stats for, eg, a sorc versus a barb? There's not even part of a picture to take context from, here, just a giant black box.

(Also, they choose Bone Spirit to exemplify these "relatively physical" skills which is... a choice, for sure.)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

bio347 posted:

There's a line in the quarterly update that I just find fascinating:

Why does being "relatively physical" benefit more heavily from effects "such as" crit? As opposed to which other stats? What are these other "such as" stats, too? What does this mean for stats for, eg, a sorc versus a barb? There's not even part of a picture to take context from, here, just a giant black box.

(Also, they choose Bone Spirit to exemplify these "relatively physical" skills which is... a choice, for sure.)

Well, bones are spiky, so, you know

and they're most critical since nearly everyone has them

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
So I’ve tried Wizard, Crusader, DH, and Necro to at least level 5 so far but holy poo poo Necro is busted. At least at low levels, is it just me or do they get insane AoE damage?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Necro at low level is just really busted, this is doubly true on season starts with the challenge rift bonus bag.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Ok, that makes sense. Wizard was pretty fun, too. But being able to use the corpses is insane.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Necro has a huge leg-up because Corpse Explosion means they get a powerful AOE at something like level 3, and even Skeletal Mages are a lot more powerful than any spender other classes have at that level because you can summon multiples of them. A Crusader has to wait until something like level 12 before they get Blessed Hammer, and ditto for a Demon Hunter's Chakram. It's especially irritating when your first Rift Guardian ever is Iskandiel and you don't have a piercing/penetrating attack and you keep getting hung up on the summoned skeletons.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
Speaking of Crusader, if the class comes back in Diablo 4 I hope they completely rework it. D3 crusader was boring as hell. I didn't play Lost Ark for long but their Paladin was super fun.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Cursed chest farming ends up quicker than rifts to 70, especially if you're good at maintaining a massacre bonus as you walk in there.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
All that footage looks really good but it also looks really slow compared to what I've become accustomed to in D3. It looks like early game D2.

I hope D4 isn't too graphically demanding to have zooming around the map at ludicrous speeds during the late game.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Orc Priest posted:

Speaking of Crusader, if the class comes back in Diablo 4 I hope they completely rework it. D3 crusader was boring as hell. I didn't play Lost Ark for long but their Paladin was super fun.

I actually saw an interesting yt comment that mentioned how there aren't any "holy" classes in D4 and were wondering if thats a lore/story reason.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d kind of like it if the setting of Diablo 4 is “Heaven is dead, Hell won, the game takes place in the post apocalyptic aftermath of the war for heaven & hell”

Anyways, beta registration for D4 is live, I’ve signed up, go sign up

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tokubetsu posted:

I actually saw an interesting yt comment that mentioned how there aren't any "holy" classes in D4 and were wondering if thats a lore/story reason.

Eh, maybe? I'm not exactly steeped in Diablo lore but one of the big deals is how the Paladins of D2 fame basically got corrupted from within by mephisto iirc. The whole of act 3 in D2 is basically you going to Diablo's version of the Vatican City and wrecking poo poo because it's infested with demon-worshiping, human-sacrificing assholes. When you hear people going on about "Zakarum has fallen!" that's what they're talking about.

The crusaders were an oddbally offshoot of the paladins that went and did their own thing in the far east or far west or whatever the big directional "over there" is in the diablo world so they weren't really part of that and then get to be all surprised pikachu when they show up back in town for D3.

edit: my personal take is that they're just holding back a crusader/paladin class for the inevitable expansion (or just straight DLC if they're being lovely) a la Necro in D3. Necro and Paladin are both fan favorites so it makes sense that they would follow the D3 pattern of launch with one, introduce the other in the expansion.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Paladin's kinda an odd one as at least in D2 it was ostensibly a support class but I think I remember them saying they don't really want a support class. I wonder how that's gonna shake out and whether there's any kind of support skills at all.

The monk reveal trailer from D3 was the coolest poo poo at the time. A neat combination of support stuff and assassin speediness. And exploding palm just seemed incredibly neat.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, support classes are dumb in an arpg. They're not MMO's, you really need to be able to clear content yourself. The multiplayer aspect is more about adding more uber-badass god players striding the land to take down the giant huge enemy with crazy stats or whatever.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If D4 is going to have a group meta in the same spirit as D3 then in a perfect world I'd like to see every class have at least one support build and no one support roll be pigeonholed to a single class, ala zBarb.

But also every class needs to be fully self sufficient, yeah.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, support classes are dumb in an arpg. They're not MMO's, you really need to be able to clear content yourself. The multiplayer aspect is more about adding more uber-badass god players striding the land to take down the giant huge enemy with crazy stats or whatever.
zDPS builds are real and fun to play. A pure support class with no soloing option would be dumb though.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d kind of like it if the setting of Diablo 4 is “Heaven is dead, Hell won, the game takes place in the post apocalyptic aftermath of the war for heaven & hell”

I've been thinking about what I like about the tone of Diablo 2 versus 3 and I think it's not the lack of colorful art direction- its this. In D2 the world has mostly reached a steady state. Everything is bad for the NPCs, most of them have very little hope for a better future, and even the victories you win in each act aren't that significant relative to the overall threat.

In D3 the catastrophes are still ongoing, so everyone either thinks they/you can just explode all the skeletons and get things back to normal or they suddenly lose hope right before they're eaten by a monster. You don't get that sense that everyone has been worn down until they're just barely hanging on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Releasing a Monk//Crusader Holy Character pack would be an ultra EZ pick up from me, maybe some kind of epic Act 5 xpansion where we go to Heaven and kill God?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tetsuo posted:

zDPS builds are real and fun to play. A pure support class with no soloing option would be dumb though.
zdps are the reason I played d3 as long as I did

they take way less time to keep up with compared to being a dps, too

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The design where all classes can fight but all have different support skills they can bring to the party is still a good one imho. In D2 necro brought curses, pallies brought auras, barbs brought shouts, etc.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Khorne posted:

zdps are the reason I played d3 as long as I did

they take way less time to keep up with compared to being a dps, too

I miss the good ole days with Inferno when everyone was zdps.

In all seriousness, back when seasons were still fresh and popular, it was pretty awesome when new zdps builds were being organically developed for every class by the playerbase. Every season new metas were discovered often unintentionally rather than from reading patch notes setting arbitrary numbers to 10,000% or whatever. Good times.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Holy spells would have to be bright! You can't have everything being dark and washed out with that poo poo flying around.

Lack of a crusader or paladin also pretty much removes the heaily-armoured shield-user archetype from D4, which is a huge shame. The holy, shielded juggernaut smashing demons and undead is a good look.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
every Paladin ability casting its own light would be a killer application of RT effects

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Try to follow me on this, but what if the holiness? That's right, it's corrupted :boomshaka:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Feldegast42 posted:

The design where all classes can fight but all have different support skills they can bring to the party is still a good one imho. In D2 necro brought curses, pallies brought auras, barbs brought shouts, etc.

Sorc enchant, druid oak sage, and I guess questionably amazon with inner sight/slow missile.

Does assassin have a group perk?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DARPA posted:

the Psychic Hammer / Cloak of Shadows / Mind Blast path, if you squint real hard

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

DARPA posted:

Sorc enchant, druid oak sage, and I guess questionably amazon with inner sight/slow missile.

Technically cloak of shadows.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

DARPA posted:

Detonating corpses is utility in a couple very specific situations!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Trapping enemies with CC is pretty good

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
y'all have no god drat idea how good Cloak of Shadows, Dim Vision, and Slow Missiles are

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I also really dont want another turret sentry dh style thing in this. That season or couple seasons where turret DH was like the build if you wanted to stop rifts was horrible for me. Just so stupid, I hate it on principle. I'm not playing an ARPG to drop turrets.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Tokubetsu posted:

I also really dont want another turret sentry dh style thing in this. That season or couple seasons where turret DH was like the build if you wanted to stop rifts was horrible for me. Just so stupid, I hate it on principle. I'm not playing an ARPG to drop turrets.

There's a ton of builds for each class. Play a different build or class? You're not forced into playing something you don't like. :wtc: I agree that marauders isn't really that fun and clunky, though.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

There's a ton of builds for each class. Play a different build or class? You're not forced into playing something you don't like. :wtc: I agree that marauders isn't really that fun and clunky, though.

It felt super weird to play traps in POE and D2 because traps are really just offensive spells with a weird delay. It doesn't feel right for a gotta go fast game. In a game about holding points like Dungeon Defenders sure.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Suburban Dad posted:

I mean I did, im just saying it sucks because DH are cool and sentries are antithesis of cool. Diablo should be prioritizing cool at all times.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Did you also feel this way about lightning trap assassins in d2? For some reason those felt a bit cooler than sentries to me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Anything that doesn't have me flying at warp 9 deleting entire screens of mobs is a failure of a build.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bio347 posted:

Holy spells would have to be bright! You can't have everything being dark and washed out with that poo poo flying around.

Lack of a crusader or paladin also pretty much removes the heaily-armoured shield-user archetype from D4, which is a huge shame. The holy, shielded juggernaut smashing demons and undead is a good look.

Elden Ring has taught us the heavily armored shield user is a trap and the one true path is dual wielding. Barbarian dual wielding giant hammers/axes in heavy armor should serve a sufficient role.

Plus sword and board the barbarian I guess? Then again, barbarian canon is a shirtless person carving a path through on anger alone. No heavily strength needed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A defensively minded playstyle just isn't compatible with a lot of ARPG principles. You can keep the theme but there's some arm-twisting involved in making it work as far as being able to delete screens of enemies while zipping at max speed like everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

holy characters are cops, shameful