Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Caesar Saladin posted:

When i was a kid I stayed at a friends house that had unsalted pasta with slices of deli ham and turkey in them with no sauce for dinner. They were a wealthy family too.

they carefully researched that dinner to appeal to you, a non-rich person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A family member who will remain nameless served up a 'buffalo chicken lasagne' with only four ingredients: sheet pasta, cheese, chicken and about a quart of Frank's wing sauce.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TIP posted:

they carefully researched that dinner to appeal to you, a non-rich person

Lmao

"Darling, the poor's are coming over for dinner. Make sure you don't frighten them with seasonings"

That's exactly what they said

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I wish that were true, because at least it'd be some rational for eating a meal with the opposite of any flavour

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

kntfkr posted:

I'm in Ningbo with all the execs from the parent company and my sales team.

Checks out. My girlfriend’s family has spent some time working in China. It was a horror show every time the bosses or handlers invited them out for dinner.

Being take on a tour of rural areas, where a restaurant proudly offers a fish that they claim is about go extinct. This was a prestigious honor.

An extremely expensive “western” restaurant serving overcooked, unseasoned steak and copious amounts of red wine served in shot glasses. You were supposed to drink it one go, like it was vodka. All the execs loved it.

Sea cucumber.

E: the food when they weren’t being treated to dinner was great, I think they were just being treated to some ostentatious hospitality :shobon:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 15, 2022

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I was working in Kazakhstan on an oil rig and as it was a new project the local Iman came down and slaughtered a sheep for a blessing.*

This was then cooked up by the boys into a nice lamb stew which as the incredibly important person that I was, I got a big bowl of. I thought it was just a clear soup type of dish but what I didn't realise was the clear liquid I got was actually liquid fat. Very hot liquid fat. In fact I am going to out on a limb and say probably the hottest liquid fat I have ever eaten. I got quite bad mouth burns.

*Not an acceptable substitute to a proper planned preventive maintenance system.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I spent $450 taking my friends out to dinner at Butcher and Singer in Philly when I was like 24 and it was a cool atmosphere and appetizers and drinks were good but the $125 ribeye I split with my cousin was ridiculously salty. Like almost inedible levels of saltiness. Apparently that's just how they serve steaks there because everyone else's steaks were equally salty

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
unwashed rear end

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

jimmyjams posted:

unwashed rear end

Save some for me :maga:

CynCyanide
Mar 21, 2005

dance, water, dance!
When my cousin got married, my aunt made his wedding cake out of about six box mixes. After she'd frosted it, she left it on the kitchen table and left the room. While she was gone, the dog jumped up onto a chair and licked all of the frosting off the top tier. She told everyone this story at the reception. "Don't worry, everyone," she went on, "I got some more frosting and patched it, it's fine."

Yum yum, dog spit wedding cake. I guess she didn't see any problem with it, because when she cooks, she licks her fingers clean of any spills as she goes and doesn't wash her hands after. She just goes right back to handling the food.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CynCyanide posted:

When my cousin got married, my aunt made his wedding cake out of about six box mixes. After she'd frosted it, she left it on the kitchen table and left the room. While she was gone, the dog jumped up onto a chair and licked all of the frosting off the top tier. She told everyone this story at the reception. "Don't worry, everyone," she went on, "I got some more frosting and patched it, it's fine."

Yum yum, dog spit wedding cake. I guess she didn't see any problem with it, because when she cooks, she licks her fingers clean of any spills as she goes and doesn't wash her hands after. She just goes right back to handling the food.

that dog was a good dog

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
My wife is a great cook and made a pretty good chicken soup then added pickles to it.

It was awful and anytime she cooks something new and thinks of something to add I veto pickles.

She is a good cook until she goes off recipe, she doesn't have any intuition for substitution unless it's like, vegan substitutes since she was vegan for a few years.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

My wife is a great cook and made a pretty good chicken soup then added pickles to it.

This is almost as bad as the lady that heats soup in a blender.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Pickles are an abomination regardless

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It was awful and anytime she cooks something new and thinks of something to add I veto pickles.

She is a good cook until she goes off recipe, she doesn't have any intuition for substitution unless it's like, vegan substitutes since she was vegan for a few years.

My mom literally ate the stereotypical pickles and peanut butter combo when she was pregnant with me. I questioned whether she had a fever dream about this and she's sure that she did it because it was before that stereotype existed

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stunning Honky posted:

I don't like dill pickles but sweet and butter pickles are delicious

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

This is almost as bad as the lady that heats soup in a blender.

What

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

if you buy a $400 blender the blades' friction can actually do this

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Also I would get a Vitamix in a heartbeat, or at least steal one. It's like having a really nice pen: stupid as hell but it makes all the difference

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Speleothing posted:

Went to my gf's house for lunch while she was WFH and she served me a squash soup that was a bland orange liquid. Didn't even taste like there was salt, just a can of pumpkin mixed with water. She reheated it by putting it in the blender and letting the blender run until it was warm, instead of just microwaving a bowl.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
I would rather have a blender I can put away than a microwave that just loving sits there all the time to be honest

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Stunning Honky posted:

they're good actually, esp. daikon and carrots

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
My mom had this recipe she got from her poor as hell (and mean as hell) mom.
It's called, no joke, "Jew Stew"

Put tomato juice in a casserolle dish.
Add a bunch of quartered peelled potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, whatever else root you got.
Add a can of green peas.
Add a pack of ground meat.
NO SPICES ALLOWED
Cook way too long until perfectly mushy and that the ground beef becomes so hard it could crack glass.
Serve and do not enjoy. Add ketchup and cry.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

tripwood posted:

Add a bunch of quartered peelled potatoes, parsnips, rutabagas, whatever else root you got.
Add a can of green peas.
NO SPICES ALLOWED
Cook way too long until perfectly mushy and that the ground beef becomes so hard it could crack glass.

Lol the potatoes and root vegetables would normally take longer to cook than the beef, but putting them in tomato sauce makes them take waaaaaay longer. Your description sounds exactly how it would turn out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

tripwood posted:

Add a can of green peas.
NO SPICES ALLOWED

Why would you waste all those ingredients?? For the same time and money you could do so much better wtf

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
That sounds like something we had a lot growing up only with the roots substituted for elbow macaroni and uhh less of the antisemitism

Idk why we had it so much because my mom is a really good cook, but that was just something she had grown up having a lot and kept in her repertoire for some reason

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I've had many difficult Thanksgivings, having been a vegetarian since 1990 (and living in Texas back at the time); too many tales to recount here, but I'll just mention the first Thanksgiving when I came back from college to my family and my mother "accidentally" had put ground beef in everything imaginable, including the turkey dressing, because as she later admitted she was worried about my diet.

But all the stories about dressing/stuffing remind me of the opposite Thanksgiving experience, something my wife's family does: stuffin' muffins (though they're technically dressing because they don't go inside the turkey or use its drippings). Whip up the dressing, put it into cupcake molds, bake, et voilà! Crisp yet tender dressing "muffins" that you can break apart or eat as rolls. Yum!

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My ex once tried to use Lawrey's Seasoning Salt as a dry rub on a chicken. In theory that's fine. But it was soooo much. Then he burnt it in the oven.

It was inedible. That was a decade ago and I'm still dehydrated.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife and I went to one of her co-worker's house for a dinner party. Her husband was a civil engineer who also happened to be a homebrewer.

I've done some homebrewing myself, and have sampled a lot of friends' homebrews. The thing about homebrewing is that the end result usually ranges from "mediocre" to "ok". Very rarely will you make a homebrew that is "great", however if you follow the general process it's not typical to have a homebrew that tastes outright awful. Homebrew guides all use the mantra "Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew" since you really just need to make sure your equipment is clean and let the yeast do their job.

Something went seriously wrong with the homebrew he gave my wife and I. It was really sweet, tasted like malt extract syrup, and completely flat. We couldn't finish it. A sense of dread came over me when I thought about a 5 gallon bucket of what was essentially sugar water sitting in this guy's garage not fermenting for 2 to 4 weeks.

Didn't seem to bother him though, he had 3 bottles.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Admiralty Flag posted:

I've had many difficult Thanksgivings, having been a vegetarian since 1990 (and living in Texas back at the time); too many tales to recount here, but I'll just mention the first Thanksgiving when I came back from college to my family and my mother "accidentally" had put ground beef in everything imaginable, including the turkey dressing, because as she later admitted she was worried about my diet.

But all the stories about dressing/stuffing remind me of the opposite Thanksgiving experience, something my wife's family does: stuffin' muffins (though they're technically dressing because they don't go inside the turkey or use its drippings). Whip up the dressing, put it into cupcake molds, bake, et voilà! Crisp yet tender dressing "muffins" that you can break apart or eat as rolls. Yum!

Meatloaf as turkey stuffing isnt the dumbest idea I guess.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Treecko posted:

My ex once tried to use Lawrey's Seasoning Salt as a dry rub on a chicken. In theory that's fine. But it was soooo much. Then he burnt it in the oven.

It was inedible. That was a decade ago and I'm still dehydrated.

Hi Mrs. Shapiro

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

When I used to teach cooking lessons at Williams Sonoma we had these things. They were Vitamixes and you could blend and make soup in them. They're honestly not great but they're expensive and impressive to use so we sold tons of them to upper class weirdos

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The thing about the blender heating method is that the poster also mentioned the soup was watery and bland. If you take something of say, normal squash soup consistency, and then blend it more then necessary it’s going to get thinner until it eventually reaches a point where it just doesn’t break down anymore. So not only was she heating up soup in a blender, she was also likely destroying the intended consistency of the finished product.

It’s weird. Just put a bowl in the microwave instead of dirtying a blender.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
My former sister in law always insisted on hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas, because god forbid she ever have to travel anywhere. One year she started a new diet/weightloss plan the same loving week as Thanksgiving (why?) And so we all got to have a "healthy" Thanksgiving. I.e., all of it cooked with no butter and minimal salt, but for some reason tons of olive oil. Imagine mashed potatoes that are literally just potatoes, mashed. With a drizzle of olive oil. And nothing else.

And the entire dinner convo revolved around how great everything definitely tasted and how amazing it was you could cook a healthy meal and it still tastes just great!

Then she ate like three slices of pie.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
yeah but it had no butter, minimum salt and a ton of olive oil.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Microwave mac and cheese my cousin served me when I was like 4. She had long black curly hair and I think she was "babysitting" us and wanted to feed us, and every time I went to take a bite I'd always pull out a long black hair.

The bar for bad was set fairly high pretty early on.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Went to OPs moms house with the promise of a giant plate of pussy but when I got there someone had already eaten all of it.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I went to a house and they mashed up a bunch of broccoli with a fork and added water and it was broccoli soup, authentic I hear 👂

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

Went to OPs moms house with the promise of a giant plate of pussy but when I got there someone had already eaten all of it.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Burt posted:

I was working in Kazakhstan on an oil rig and as it was a new project the local Iman came down and slaughtered a sheep for a blessing.*

This was then cooked up by the boys into a nice lamb stew which as the incredibly important person that I was, I got a big bowl of. I thought it was just a clear soup type of dish but what I didn't realise was the clear liquid I got was actually liquid fat. Very hot liquid fat. In fact I am going to out on a limb and say probably the hottest liquid fat I have ever eaten. I got quite bad mouth burns.

*Not an acceptable substitute to a proper planned preventive maintenance system.

Muslims don't sacrifice for blessing.

Also why would you be given a bowl of rendered fat as a 'meal', and do you believe that this would be normal for them to have eaten regularly as they are super-human and would have been able to eaten liquid hot clarified fat that was so hot it physically scalded you but that's just something they're physically immune to or in fact you've just made up bullshit about?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)