Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Roctavian posted:

What they should have established is more perspectives on how/why the risen operate as people anyways. Like, what if it was a common belief among non-risen humans that guardians are just making up that bullshit about not having their past memories? Amanda's issues with Crow make her sound out-of-touch with a basic, foundational aspect of the world she lives in.

Discrimination against risen Savathun is just space racism

last week's helm transmission had Amanda admit that Crow didn't deserve what she said- she was lashing out in a moment of anger. And there's also that Crow had his memories returned and knew his identity for months, but had been avoiding/lying to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

what a dumb take.

like the Traveler just hands out free poo poo. Some folks misuse that free poo poo, like the lubreans, Clovis, the risen warlords, but that was their own choice.

but it's the darkness/witness and their forces going around actually genociding people. So how's that the Traveler's fault?

Like, someone gives you :10bux: someone else sees this and mugs you... the second guy is the baddie! The first one is, maybe, naive, but it's a totally valid ethical stance to think it's better to be naive but kind, than 'smart' but cruel.

or yeah go read the Hidden lore ARG from the WQ collector's edition, where it explicitly spells out the philosophies of Light and Dark (and why you'd want your neighbours to follow the Light). Or the older passage from Mara Sov, about the Light being water and the Darkness being... poison or acid or whatever. You need both for fully healthy living, but half and half is not conducive to life.

and you know, as for Savathun- the Traveler didn't give her the Light, Immaru did. Who she's lied to and manipulated, but even then the Traveler/Light is about forgive and forget and second chances, not about eking out advantages against a foe. Again, the idea that the Traveler specifically chose Savathun, so that she'd protect it by locking it away, abandoning humanity, is not at all supported by uh, any sort of text for any part of that plan.

(It's also what Savathun wants you to think, you know the lying liar who constantly sows division, or even her attempts to 'help' cause constant misery, are layered in lies, and done unilaterally with no attempt to ask what the people she's helping actually want? Like, she claimed to be helping by forging alliances with the Cabal and Eliksni... but had a hand in loving over Torobatl, killing billions, and abducted and impersonated Osiris, torturing him and causing his friends (and friend) great distress). So yeah she's trying to cause doubt and division...)

A Savathun who was resurrected on her own, with no memories and people telling her who she is, would be in a very different position than the one who pre-emptively arranged to get a plan and powerbase. It exposes a flaw in the philosophy of the Light- the wolf in sheep's clothing who takes advantage of the system, but it does not indicate the Traveler is evil or selfish.

How much freedom do ghosts have over who they choose to guardianify? The game shows them wandering around the whole solar system scanning corpses for up to decades or centuries until they find their storybook one true love. Do they have to be human, or is there a lightbearing bear somewhere out there? Can they abandon the first one and choose someone else? Could a ghost resurrect an entire cemetery at once?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

ponzicar posted:

find their storybook one true love.

Shown in the lore to be untrue. Ghosts can screw up and raise someone they "shouldn't".

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/ghost-hunter#book-ghost-stories
https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/the-chosens-choice#book-ghost-stories
https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/5-moths-to-flame-part-ii#osiris

Two Ghosts lament on their choice of Risen. Sagira brow beats a Ghost for bad choice in Risen.

ponzicar posted:

Can they abandon the first one and choose someone else?

It's happened at least once.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/confession-of-hope-part-one#book-ghost-stories
https://www.ishtar-collective.net/cards/ghost-fragment-the-last-word-3#shin-malphur

Child gets raised by a Ghost that later dies. Child grows up and gets picked by a different Ghost after it's previous Risen dies.

EDIT: added some clarity because these are long pages

life_source fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 15, 2022

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

also Fynch killing his Hive, and this one where a Risen Hive rejects its ghost/being alive

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/jynx

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

To be fair, there are ghosts that are fanatical about their link to 'One Guardian One Ghost' while others are basically done with the Traveller and willing to strike out on their own.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/difference-of-opinion

They also have their own emotions, culture and curiosity beyond their Guardians. And I want to go watch this:

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/ghost-community-theater-presents#book-ghost-stories

Mazerunner posted:

also Fynch killing his Hive, and this one where a Risen Hive rejects its ghost/being alive

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/jynx

Another example: ghosts can experience insanity, reject their Guardians, and even torture them to suicide.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/entry-12-debtors-knife

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 15, 2022

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Gonna have to say I don’t really care that PVP streamers can’t figure out that a sniper shot from a hundred meters away taken while in midair probably shouldn’t have pinpoint accuracy.

So. Uh. Here I am absolutely fine with air accuracy nerfs. But the reticle was directly on their heads and the game forced a miss. There is a big difference between lowering skill ceiling and gaps and intrusive game mechanics. And I think this is the latter. Not to mention this was the highest possible chance to build into Air Accuracy that currently exists in the game, and the devs have outright explicitly stated the intention is aerial accuracy will actually go up in the new system, it's just you have to build into and sacrifice to get there.

So right now this isn't working as intended, and it's wrong for the game to force a miss that explicitly isn't a miss.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Is there a bonus reputation this week like Vanguard was last week and why is this not made obvious in the interface

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

fast cars loose anus posted:

Is there a bonus reputation this week like Vanguard was last week and why is this not made obvious in the interface

it's trials but it's not obvious cause you can't select trials yet

when you pick an activity with double xp there's a thingy in modifiers before you launch

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Oh, ok fair enough. Thanks

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, the activities are tagged now, which is good, but there's still no good way to answer the question "What is the double rep activity this week?" other than checking every activity by hand or asking around

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

(I am 100% PvE focused, and I suck at aiming so more bullets is better than not more bullets)

Same, my Subsistence Krait is my constant travel buddy throughout the solar system

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Yeah, the activities are tagged now, which is good, but there's still no good way to answer the question "What is the double rep activity this week?" other than checking every activity by hand or asking around

Or remembering what it was from the popup that for some loving reason occurs on Friday the week prior, which I either never do or accidentally skip past before it registers

Do that one on Tuesday!

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So. Uh. Here I am absolutely fine with air accuracy nerfs. But the reticle was directly on their heads and the game forced a miss. There is a big difference between lowering skill ceiling and gaps and intrusive game mechanics. And I think this is the latter. Not to mention this was the highest possible chance to build into Air Accuracy that currently exists in the game, and the devs have outright explicitly stated the intention is aerial accuracy will actually go up in the new system, it's just you have to build into and sacrifice to get there.

So right now this isn't working as intended, and it's wrong for the game to force a miss that explicitly isn't a miss.
The fallout video was actually well measured and went over that special ammo weapons are far, far worse with in-air accuracy than primary weapons. if you want to dink someone with a scout rifle from across the map with heat rises, you can, but you can't instagib someone down an impossible sight line spawn-to-spawn without literally 100 in-air accuracy stat.

Midrange in-air snipes will work with heat rises or 60-70 airborne effectiveness. They're just limiting one-hit kills from cheap poo poo like oob floating and cross-map float snipes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

Did Fynch kill his hive? I thought he just decided not to rescurrect it.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

Did Fynch kill his hive? I thought he just decided not to rescurrect it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTJd4pLjdDQ

somewhat ambiguous, in that he doesn't outright say "yeah I killed him" buuuuuuuut uhh, yeah

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There are cool things to consider in this space, but like you said, it's handled at a high school level, so the answer to any morality question is either gonna be fanfic or "if you have skulls on your armor you're a bad guy, and if you're a good guy you have a dead wife"

This is something that really disappointed me. Why did Zavala need a dead wife and son? At least why did they need to have been murdered? The story should have written itself: Zavala feels guilty because he is immortal and his family grew old and died while he stayed the same. There's tons of emotional impact with that. Zavala didn't need reason 6000 to hate Fallen.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I know Eris has Savathun's body and all but what's to stop Immaru from flying through a window and resurrecting her?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mazerunner posted:

somewhat ambiguous, in that he doesn't outright say "yeah I killed him" buuuuuuuut uhh, yeah
Huh. I've never gotten that voice line. That's interesting.

Curious how a ghost could practically kill someone. Bumped him off a cliff?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Told him there was some sweet loot at the bottom of it, so the Hive jumped and misadventured

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

This is something that really disappointed me. Why did Zavala need a dead wife and son? At least why did they need to have been murdered? The story should have written itself: Zavala feels guilty because he is immortal and his family grew old and died while he stayed the same. There's tons of emotional impact with that. Zavala didn't need reason 6000 to hate Fallen.

the point is that Zavala instilled a ~warrior spirit~ in his son and even trained him in combat, which is what led to him picking up a sword and getting wrecked, instead of hiding. Zavala feels guilt for that. So it's not "sad cuz immortal", it's "sad cuz he (felt he) was a bad role model". It actually has very little to do with being immortal and only tangentially with being a Guardian, in the sense of Guardians are warriors who excel at and revel in combat.

His wife left and did die of old age.

I have the impression that he actually stabbed the Knight with his horn, and that's why Fynch's horn is broken, but I don't know if there's proof of that or if it's fandom.

Judge Tesla posted:

I know Eris has Savathun's body and all but what's to stop Immaru from flying through a window and resurrecting her?

Vanguard's got it stashed away somewhere hidden and secure, so he can't get to it. Although I think it's pretty likely they'll have a mission or something about the Hive making an attempt to get at it in the future.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jun 15, 2022

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

I have the impression that he actually stabbed the Knight with his horn, and that's why Fynch's horn is broken, but I don't know if there's proof of that or if it's fandom.

Those horns look really dull, but it is funny to think every time our Guardian crushes a Hive Ghost they’re sticking their hand in a blender.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

One thing I've been wanting to know is this, do Guardians get horny because that must be awkward for the Ghosts who are hovering around right?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Mazerunner posted:

Vanguard's got it stashed away somewhere hidden and secure, so he can't get to it. Although I think it's pretty likely they'll have a mission or something about the Hive making an attempt to get at it in the future.

Zero Hour, except you race through the Tower's innards to stop a Lucent Hive Heist, do it Bungie.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

J.A.B.C. posted:

Another example: ghosts can experience insanity, reject their Guardians, and even torture them to suicide.

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/entry-12-debtors-knife
See, I got the impression reading that whole book that Katabasis is as much at fault as Gilgamesh. Gilly watches for years as the guardian turns from the city after the red war, joins the Cabal (before Caiatl's alliance, i.e. under Calus), becomes Calus' shadow, enables the experiments aboard the Glykon and gilly is forced to watch them die over and over in an absolutely hopeless situation. Its less of a clear 'tortures them to suicide' and more an "I can't do this anymore" kind of vibe.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

One thing I've been wanting to know is this, do Guardians get horny because that must be awkward for the Ghosts who are hovering around right?

Fleshlight ghost casing to the rescue! Cuming soon to an eververse store near you.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

ponzicar posted:

Do they have to be human, or is there a lightbearing bear somewhere out there?

Sapience and free will are a critical part of the wager, so no bears, but hypothetically Eliksni, Cabal, Psions, Hive are all on the menu. and the calling up of the lattermost might’ve broken a taboo, we’ll see…!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Panderfringe posted:

The story should have written itself: Zavala feels guilty because he is immortal and his family grew old and died while he stayed the same.

this is literally what the moral of the story is, though. he even comes right out and says it in the post-script at the tower: "our minds were not meant to go for this long"

also everything that mazerunner said. zavala's specific guilt over hakim is because hakim was trying to emulate his blue dad, an immortal warrior, and got murdered because of it. it's why zavala started the vanguard and created the guardian class: to teach the risen under his command that they are extremely different from normal humans and that they need to keep that in mind so they don't get mortals slaughtered. this has been a consistent theme throughout the game for years, including a page out of ghost stories:

quote:

He showed his might as one of the Risen and demanded he be lauded as savior. Those he once protected now died under his charge, and they venerated him all the more for it.

Resurrection after resurrection, his legend flourished while the dead remained dead; he grew ever more covetous and unforgiving. He stopped learning from his losses and came to feel entitled to his immortality.

It was a massacre atop a massacre. And only he, one of the Risen, would walk away from this.

and the getaway artist exotic gloves:

quote:

The chumps that run out to stop us are babies. That's the kicker with Warlords—other than ours, there's not a Ghost in sight here. Just civilians who can barely hold their guns without wetting their pants, who can't aim worth a drat, who stick their necks out for the bad guys with eternal life. Real geniuses.

these are very obvious themes that the game has been shoving into our eyes for a long time and i'm kinda surprised that for all of your criticisms of the game you haven't picked up on the fact that it's telling the same story, again, instead of showing us more new material

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Mazerunner posted:

the point is that Zavala instilled a ~warrior spirit~ in his son and even trained him in combat, which is what led to him picking up a sword and getting wrecked, instead of hiding. Zavala feels guilt for that. So it's not "sad cuz immortal", it's "sad cuz he (felt he) was a bad role model". It actually has very little to do with being immortal and only tangentially with being a Guardian, in the sense of Guardians are warriors who excel at and revel in combat.

His wife left and did die of old age.

Well that's what I get for only half paying attention. The context clues from the snippets of dialogue did not suggest that. In my defense though, the story is written in kindergarten crayons and doesn't deserve that much attention.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
But most of all, Hakim needed to be killed by a Fallen so that Sever could have a Boss that week

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

But most of all, Hakim needed to be killed by a Fallen so that Sever could have a Boss that week

Curse this 10 button controller! It's only good for shooting guns!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I would have preferred to fight bungie's personification of the unstoppable march of time

which let's be honest would have just been another fallen captain

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

Well that's what I get for only half paying attention. The context clues from the snippets of dialogue did not suggest that. In my defense though, the story is written in kindergarten crayons and doesn't deserve that much attention.

Crayons are meant to be consumed and thoroughly digested.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Panderfringe posted:

I would have preferred to fight bungie's personification of the unstoppable march of time

which let's be honest would have just been another fallen captain

Dude the Vex are right there

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Calus Mini Tool + Incandescent is :discourse:

Especially with Starfire Protocol, Explosive Wellmaker and Bountiful Wells.

Witherhoard and your choice of heavy, ideally something like Cataclysm or Gjally

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, got DC'd on the last part of this week's story mission boss. It's not that time consuming, but still a mood killer.

Doesn't help that for some stupid reason this week has a challenge to replay the very first story mission thing with a solar sub class and kinetic/solar/stasis weapons. Why wouldn't it be this weeks? Or any of them? I'd be tempted to ignore if it didn't award one of the vendor upgrade thingies.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't worry you can fight Ghaul next week and his knockoff versions of guardian supers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Does anyone feel like the drop rate for Haunted redboxes has dropped off from the start of the season? Early on I was getting two redboxes from the same containment completion, now it seems like I never get any and the only way to get any non-guaranteed ones is to spam the random-weapon focus at the helm. Even the drop rate for Opulent Keys feels worse now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Paracelsus posted:

Does anyone feel like the drop rate for Haunted redboxes has dropped off from the start of the season? Early on I was getting two redboxes from the same containment completion, now it seems like I never get any and the only way to get any non-guaranteed ones is to spam the random-weapon focus at the helm. Even the drop rate for Opulent Keys feels worse now.

I’ve actually only just started getting a bunch (haunted redboxes) after getting gently caress all the first few weeks. Opulent Keys definitely feel stingier.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've wandered around the leviathan more than is probably healthy and I don't think the rate has been changed, it's just so low it messes with our intuition and feels streaky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Oxyclean posted:

Ugh, got DC'd on the last part of this week's story mission boss. It's not that time consuming, but still a mood killer.

Doesn't help that for some stupid reason this week has a challenge to replay the very first story mission thing with a solar sub class and kinetic/solar/stasis weapons. Why wouldn't it be this weeks? Or any of them? I'd be tempted to ignore if it didn't award one of the vendor upgrade thingies.

The next 5 weeks each have a challenge to do Week 2's mission, then Week 3's mission etc etc with specific weapon & subclass loadouts

The reasoning is probably...

1. Make you do old content again (the Bungie Way!)
2. This way you're not 'distracted' by running a forced loadout when you do the new story content each week

It's silly and dumb but Sever is like a 7 minute activity so it's still the quickest Upgrade Figment in the game!