Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

That was delightful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
All the recon talk reminds me that I'm still tilted about the poo poo recon job Underwater Menace got for its official DVD release.

The folks behind it even were like "no really we can do a better job for you free of charge" and the people in charge went "NO I DO NOT GIVE A poo poo ABOUT THE lovely FISH PERSON STORY, NO EFFORT, ONLY poo poo RECON".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FreezingInferno posted:

All the recon talk reminds me that I'm still tilted about the poo poo recon job Underwater Menace got for its official DVD release.

The folks behind it even were like "no really we can do a better job for you free of charge" and the people in charge went "NO I DO NOT GIVE A poo poo ABOUT THE lovely FISH PERSON STORY, NO EFFORT, ONLY poo poo RECON".

I think that was the release where Ian Levine doxxed the person producing the DVD, then had to backtrack when he found out that the person had tried to get better recons, only to be shot down by the higher ups.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Yeah - no-one has ever said why they wanted a lovely recon of Underwater Menace (aside from a higher-up deciding), but the suspicion is that by making it a basic slideshow with no animation, then they could avoid paying for BBFC certification for those two episodes whereas if it was a proper reconstruction then they would have to get it certified.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Action Jacktion posted:

Supposedly Maureen O'Brien said at a convention that she recorded "Behind the Sofa" segments for a Season 2 set. That's the most intact season from the 1960s; it's missing only two episodes from one story.

Then there are persistent rumors of a "wilderness years" set with the TV movie, Curse of the Fatal Death, More than Thirty Years in the TARDIS, and various DVD documentaries that weren't included on season sets.

No Dimensions in Time, no sale.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Zaroff posted:

Which Macra reconstruction are you watching? The story has a full set of about 300 tele-snaps, and the most recent Loose Cannon recon (which is about 15 years old at this point) is a lot better than what you’re describing.

Although, the best recon available is whatever they put on the animated releases - they are compiled by one of the guys who used to work with LC.

A Space in Time. Most of the reconstructions I have are Loose Cannon and those tend to be much better, yeah. I snagged an entire series torrent way back in Demonoid days, I've missed out on a lot of the newer recon efforts.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Oyster posted:

A Space in Time. Most of the reconstructions I have are Loose Cannon and those tend to be much better, yeah. I snagged an entire series torrent way back in Demonoid days, I've missed out on a lot of the newer recon efforts.

Oh boy - I think A Space in Time was the original Macra recon from Loose Cannon before Loose Cannon was created! It probably dates to 1996…

I know that torrent - it’s definitely full of substandard recons (I remember The Abominable Snowmen being atrocious to the point I used it as a reference for creating my own recon!)

It’s definitely not representative of where recons are now, and it’s definitely worth hunting out something better!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce0N1czNrZ2/

Doctor Who filming going on right now, but RTD still makes time for Big Finish.

(My guess is it's Dark Season)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 15, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

This is cool

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1537351775753121792?s=20&t=tZsZRQNkclBWOeTTl54XMg

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
That does look cool. Wonder if rtd is a bit annoyed that big finish has done so much with the tenth doctor recently. Just that it might take away from him returning to the show for a bit.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

That does look cool. Wonder if rtd is a bit annoyed that big finish has done so much with the tenth doctor recently. Just that it might take away from him returning to the show for a bit.

I'm guessing he's keenly aware that most fans of the show don't really even realize that Big Finish exist, and those who do typically still see the TV show as momentous (Tom Baker coming back for the 50th was still a huge deal even if he had been on audio already).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

RTD has a close relationship with BF (see my post directly above the War Master post!), so if he wanted them to scale back on using the Tenth Doctor for the time being, I'm positive they'd obliged if asked.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Missed it! Need to accept the reality of big finish not being anywhere close to the popularity of the main show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Confusedslight posted:

Missed it! Need to accept the reality of big finish not being anywhere close to the popularity of the main show.

Back when he was a producer for BF, Gary Russell talked about how excited everyone was at BF at Who coming back, because they expected to see a boost in sales with new fans.

Instead, as soon as the show came back, their sales dropped 50%. Apparently a lot of old fans were like "Well, the TV show's back, don't need to listen these anymore."

Thankfully, they have seen the sales rise again.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 20, 2022

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

This is cool

I gave this a whirl over the weekend, as I devour any Jacobi audios and...yeah, it's good. I'm not sure how much of that is carried on Jacobi for the bulk of it, but I enjoyed it regardless and the concepts it brought were fun to play with.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1538884372862058497?s=20&t=Gu5dGkA21aEZNiLENsAGig

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Back when he was a producer for BF, Gary Russell talked about how excited everyone was at BF at Who coming back, because they expected to see a boost in sales with new fans.

Instead, as soon as the show came back, their sales dropped 50%. Apparently a lot of fans were like "Well, the TV show's back, don't need to listen these anymore."

Wasn’t there also an issue with a lot of the stories released around that time being a bit poo poo? Not Nekromantea bad, but not great.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Instead, as soon as the show came back, their sales dropped 50%. Apparently a lot of fans were like "Well, the TV show's back, don't need to listen these anymore."

I remember Lawrence Miles making a similar lament when the BF audios first started coming out, that people would abandon the BBC Books 8th Doctor/Past Doctor Adventures, because now they had actual official stories as performed by (most of) the original cast, and so the books could safely be ignored.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The BBC 8th Doctor books also became a convoluted mess, with plot threads thrown around and more implied than outright resolved. Like there's some great ideas, but....it's a lot. They're also semi-officially not canon, according to Night of the Doctor.

Aside from Scherzo and the Natural History of Feature, the audios at that time in the flagship 8th Doctor range weren't well received. Especially since they had to awkwardly rework most of the Divergent Universe arc. I've heard some sources suggest McGann was considering retiring from the role at that point. Luckily, retooling the 8th Doctor audios to be more like the revived show, dropping C'rizz and moving Charley to be a Sixth Doctor companion really helped.

Fun fact: Davies explicitly mentions the audio drama 'The Apocalypse Element' as a major trigger of the Time War in early background fluff for the revived series.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

The BBC 8th Doctor books also became a convoluted mess, with plot threads thrown around and more implied than outright resolved. Like there's some great ideas, but....it's a lot. They're also semi-officially not canon, according to Night of the Doctor.

Aside from Scherzo and the Natural History of Feature, the audios at that time in the flagship 8th Doctor range weren't well received. Especially since they had to awkwardly rework most of the Divergent Universe arc. I've heard some sources suggest McGann was considering retiring from the role at that point. Luckily, retooling the 8th Doctor audios to be more like the revived show, dropping C'rizz and moving Charley to be a Sixth Doctor companion really helped.

Fun fact: Davies explicitly mentions the audio drama 'The Apocalypse Element' as a major trigger of the Time War in early background fluff for the revived series.

I know it's beating a dead horse but the Divergent arc was so bad. It was like they had a pitch and then nobody thought it through. And it doesn't help that C'rizz is one of the worst companions to have been portrayed by an actor (I'm guessing that there's some novel or comics companions who might be worse). There were maybe four stories in the Divergent series that were interesting and all of them got brought down by trying to tie the story into an arc that made no sense.

Someday I'll have to read the Eighth Doctor Adventures. I'm not expecting them to be any good, but I am expecting them to be batshit crazy and I kind of want to experience that.

(Edit: There's seventy-loving-three of them?! Never mind. I don't have that much self-loathing.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 20, 2022

McGann
May 19, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

(Edit: There's seventy-loving-three of them?! Never mind. I don't have that much self-loathing.)

Just read The 8 Doctors or whatever his first amnesia stricken 8DA book is. That's a fun one, even if I recall very little outside the basic framework

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Random Stranger posted:

(Edit: There's seventy-loving-three of them?!)

To put into context how long the wilderness years were, a full decade had passed for me from seeing the TV Movie on Fox to seeing The End of the World on the Sci-Fi Channel. That’s why there were so many books!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A lot of the EDA books are legit good reads.

Worth tracking down:

• Vampire Science
• Alien Bodies - written by Lawrence Miles, this is probably the highlight of the entire range. Introduces the Time War concept back in 1997 before RTD got there.
• Unnatural History
• Interference - This one goes across two books, part 1 and 2
• The Taking of Planet 5
• The Burning
• The Turing Test
• Father Time
• The Year of Intelligent Tigers
• The City of the Dead - this is one of my favourite books ever and feels like it was written specifically for me
• Grimm Reality
• The Adventuress of Henrietta Street - Lawrence Miles again, this one is written as a history text collecting diary entries, letters, etc. Amazing stuff.
• Trading Futures
• The Book of the Still
• History 101
• The Tomorrow Windows
• The Gallifrey Chronicles - the last book of the line, published near the end of season 1 of NuWho, it’s a fitting end to the EDAs, leaving things open but just tying into the new tv series a little too.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Somewhat along those lines, I've been doing a whistlestop tour of the New Adventures. I finished an ungainfully long French novel so I figured I'd pick a dozen or so of the NAs for something lighter. I read the first four NAs several years ago then stopped, so this is my first time really delving into the Line. Some impressions:

Love & War: undoubtedly a masterpiece, and subsequent books demonstrate just how rock-solid its characterization is. It introduces Bernice Summerfield as character so fully fledged that she works even though the next few books have no idea what to do with her as a companion. It's a little bit cyberpunk, something heavily expanded on in the next few books in the series. The Doctor is a manipulative piece of poo poo in a way that could easily lapse into grimdark, but the book manages to make his manipulations just barely not unforgivable. And he pays the price for it. The end of the book features the Doctor practically begging Benny to travel with him because he needs somebody to keep him in check.

Transit: cyberpunk as all poo poo, has a million weird, brilliant ideas. Subway service from Buenos Aires to Pluto! Body mods! The Brigadier's great-great-great (x30) granddaughter is a super-soldier! The Metra gains sentience! Also a million characters that are kind of hard to keep track of. A rewarding read, but not an easy one.

The Highest Science: gently caress Gareth Roberts, but this is quite a good read. A heist story involving bellicose crab aliens, Deadheads, and people waiting for their train at a station. Like in the previous book, Benny still has nothing to do, but there are other interesting supporting characters, including a villain who feels very inspired by Shada. There is some gender stuff that feels very uncomfortable being written by a transphobe, but it would probably be harmless in the hands of another author.

Birthright: finally Benny gets something to do, because the Doctor does not appear in this book. It's the right time to do something like this, because Benny as protagonist is great. Following an incident with the TARDIS, she's trapped in 19th century London investigating a series of gruesome murders while getting increasingly exasperated at Victorian Britain. Ace is similarly stranded on an alien world of antagonistic but sympathetic bug people who are somehow connected to the London murders. I was recommended this one as "it's great even though the Doctor is barely in it," but I think the Doctor being absent is what makes it work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I found the Virgin Missing Adventures to be sooooo much better than the NAs. I couldn't even finish Love & War, Transit, and The Highest Science.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Of those only Transit is jam-packed to the extent that it's confusing, I think. A lot of the books do have the problem where they have just one perspective too many to keep track of, and chapters tend to be short and jump between perspectives a lot. From memory, The Highest Science has the Doctor, Benny, alien war crabs, a trio of thieves, a couple of Deadheads, and some ancillary hapless humans who show up once or twice. It gets a lot more readable when the groups start converging and their perspectives merge, but until then, you've got a lot of one-page vignettes about characters you met once two chapters back and you're struggling to remember what their deal is. I wouldn't even attempt to do Transit from memory; there's like a dozen different POV in that book.

I'm most of the way through The Left-Handed Hummingbird right now, and it might be my favorite so far (and far more limited in its POV). For all of the swear words and references to sex in the books, nothing feels more transgressive than the Doctor tripping balls on LSD. Its stuff about Aztec culture feels incredibly well-researched and both Mexico City and Tenochtitlan feel like actual locations and not just a backdrop to tell a story. It does do the kind of irritating thing where all too human actions are explained away as the influence of alien technology, etc. but the book is so good I can't bring myself to care.

By the by, the New Adventures' big hangups so far are cyberpunk and psychic power. Cyberpunk I get, but was there some big obsession with psychics in late 80s/early 90s culture I missed? All that really comes to mind is Firestarter, which was 1984, and the book came out even earlier.

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 21, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rochallor posted:

By the by, the New Adventures' big hangups so far are cyberpunk and psychic power. Cyberpunk I get, but was there some big obsession with psychics in late 80s/early 90s culture I missed? All that really comes to mind is Firestarter, which was 1984, and the book came out even earlier.

Yeah, sci-fi of the time was full of it. You even had stuff like TNG having a psychic member of the bridge crew with a bunch of plots based around it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

FINALLY got around to finishing 13’s second season… man, what a bad way to end a season. Everyone was right, the timeless child stuff was rough. Where do you even start? The way it was barely teased, to how it was revealed, not to mention the actual content of the reveal. I would love to see the live reactions of people on this forum when that episode aired lol.

It’s a shame, the season starts kinda rough and ends way tougher, but some of the episodes in the middle were alright. I liked the Tesla episode way more than i thought I would, for instance.

At least the holiday special was pretty good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, sci-fi of the time was full of it. You even had stuff like TNG having a psychic member of the bridge crew with a bunch of plots based around it.

It's basically taken for granted that at least one character in every Philip K Dick novel is psychic and I think a lot of the 80s leaned on him for material.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I would love to see the live reactions of people on this forum when that episode aired lol.

Real time reactions as they happened!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh gently caress off.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh gently caress off

SiKboy posted:

I'm withholding full scorn because the master lies, but they can gently caress off with that bullshit for a start.

Burkion posted:

Here we go

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve lost track of what the Master is talking about here.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s the stupidest retcon for no reason whatsoever. I’m genuinely annoyed at this.

Jerusalem posted:

It adds absolutely no value, it's utterly pointless.

SiKboy posted:

They were doing the "First regeneration wasnt a native gallifrean" stuff and I was thinking "This is kind of pointless, but harmless", then... That and I literally said out loud "Oh get hosed!".

The_Doctor posted:

Holy poo poo, this has descended into godawful fanwank.

Jerusalem posted:

This is fanfic level bad.

Harlock posted:

Glad to see everyone is enjoying it

The_Doctor posted:

So the Doctor being just a Time Lord who ran away to see the universe wasn’t enough, and now they have to be a super sekrit long term deep cover agent for the CIA?

The_Doctor posted:

Well that was awful.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm getting mad about Doctor Who online, what have I become :cripes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

We were so mad. Still am, but was then too.

Compare that to the live reactions of Day of the Doctor.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Still haven't seen the episode and have no intention to do so.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The_Doctor posted:

God, I was on such a high on that day. Watched it live then went out with friends to watch it again in a movie theater which was packed full of people (as it was all around the world) and it was just such an incredible, wonderful experience young Jerusalem could have never dreamed of back when 7 and Ace wandered off into that field and the show didn't come back till a one-off tv movie and then nothing till the 21st Century :unsmith:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Real time reactions as they happened!

Thanks for this, my galpal is a Who fan that stopped watching for Chibnall's seasons and I needed a good way to sum up the Timeless Child nonsense.

Edit: glad to see I'm not the only one who gets a huge buzz from DoTD - I will watch it as a 'i feel like poo poo and need something to cheer me up' and it never fails.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The_Doctor posted:

We were so mad. Still am, but was then too.

My fave is the forum reactions to night of the doctor dropping. That was a beautiful moment on this thread

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I cried because I was so happy watching day of the doctor. It was glorious. Probably tmi but I think I'm surrounded by goons who get it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

My fave is the forum reactions to night of the doctor dropping. That was a beautiful moment on this thread

Oh yeah, that was utterly fantastic.

“I’m a Doctor, but probably not the one you were expecting.” :allears:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Confusedslight posted:

I cried because I was so happy watching day of the doctor. It was glorious. Probably tmi but I think I'm surrounded by goons who get it.

Don't hide your enthusiasm for a second. Seeing how excited and emotional everyone got for Night of the Doctor and then Day of the Doctor is what convinced me to finally go back and give the show a shot. I figured any show that made people this passionate was worth a shot. Everyone was just so drat happy, I wanted to be a part of it. I shotgunned as much of the 11th Doctor as I could, with a handful for 10th Doctor, just so I could understand what was going on, before going back to the 9th Doctor and barreling through all of the reboot.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Random Stranger posted:

I know it's beating a dead horse but the Divergent arc was so bad. It was like they had a pitch and then nobody thought it through. And it doesn't help that C'rizz is one of the worst companions to have been portrayed by an actor (I'm guessing that there's some novel or comics companions who might be worse). There were maybe four stories in the Divergent series that were interesting and all of them got brought down by trying to tie the story into an arc that made no sense.

Someday I'll have to read the Eighth Doctor Adventures. I'm not expecting them to be any good, but I am expecting them to be batshit crazy and I kind of want to experience that.

The Divergent Universe is a pocket reality that doesn't have time. Except it does. Somehow?

The Eighth Doctor Adventures have some legit good ideas, but get bogged down by a clear lack of direction - a lot of key plot points are vague and only hinted at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Starts here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575961&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post421849198

Greatest thing is how the announcement the Night Of The Doctor was coming only came an hour beforehand, so there was no buildup, just suddenly the entire thread is HOLY poo poo.

Day Of The Doctor in cinema still remains one of my favourite cinema experiences ever. The audience was super pumped up ready for it, everything looked stunning on the big screen in 3d, and the whole experience just had basically everyone grinning the whole way through with cheers at all the right moments.