Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm never buying another piece of Ducane equipment in my life.

Have bought two heat pumps in the last few years and it never fails that something breaks at least once a year. Split unit upstairs was built with a plastic primary pan and apparently the coil fell at some point and broke that pan, so it needs to be pulled out to fix. Not so bad for a day considering downstairs is still cool enough.

Same day the fan stops working completely in the downstairs heat pump. Now when the fan run it makes this awful gurgling sound and pushes almost zero air to the registers.

It's 91 degrees upstairs, 85 degrees downstairs, and right now I almost miss apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

We recently had quite the hailstorm and I'm getting a new roof out of the deal. The contractor I've spoken to says they primarily use GAF Timberline HDZ and GAF Timberline Harvest. The problem is that I want blue shingles and GAF doesn't make blue shingles, but Owens Corning does in their True Definition Duration line. Looks like the price per bundle is within a buck or so between the brands, so I don't expect the contractor to have a problem with that. Are the Owens Corning shingles any better or worse than the GAF shingles?

You're asking them to use a completely different system that may have different requirements and underlayment materials as well as flashing and drip edges in order to retain manufacturer's warranty. This sounds like a bad idea and like you chose the wrong shingle or the wrong contractor - your choice on which one.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

You're asking them to use a completely different system that may have different requirements and underlayment materials as well as flashing and drip edges in order to retain manufacturer's warranty. This sounds like a bad idea and like you chose the wrong shingle or the wrong contractor - your choice on which one.

I'm guessing they use GAF because that seems to be all Home Depot sells. He did say, "primarily", so maybe they are also familiar with what is needed to meet the manufacturer requirements for Owens Corning (I didn't realize there was so much to it). Assuming they are fine with either brand, then back to the original question - Is the Owens Corning True Definition Duration line any better or worse than GAF timberline HDZ or Harvest lines?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm guessing they use GAF because that seems to be all Home Depot sells. He did say, "primarily", so maybe they are also familiar with what is needed to meet the manufacturer requirements for Owens Corning (I didn't realize there was so much to it). Assuming they are fine with either brand, then back to the original question - Is the Owens Corning True Definition Duration line any better or worse than GAF timberline HDZ or Harvest lines?

To expand on what Motronic is saying, often contractors are only certified or approved or whatever to work with and warranty one brand of product. They can probably put an Owens Corning roof on just as well as a GAF one, but because they haven't been to Owens Corning Roof School or don't have a relation with the local sales rep or whatever, Owens Corning will not offer a warranty if your unapproved/certified contractor puts on one of their roofs. Your contractor probably doesn't want to go to Owens Corning roof school just for your roof, and they may be stuck with only using GAF stuff for some reason.

I recently ran into this with getting a metal roof coated. The guy a friend recommended is only certified for Sherwin Williams' roof coating. I'm sure he could quite competently put down any other roof coating, but the manufacturer wouldn't offer a warranty unless one of their approved contractors applied the coating. I really liked the contactor and he came very highly recommended, so I'm getting Sherwin Williams roof goop on my roof because that's what he works with, even though I would have preferred a different manufacturer's products.

E: if your roofer is buying a roof's worth of shingles at home depot, find a different roofer.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for the replies. I've certainly learned a lot about the ins and outs of roofing just from your reply and Motronic's. I'm already getting kind of a bad feeling about this contractor based on a couple things, so I'm thinking of going with my gut and contacting one of the local roofing contractors listed on the Owens Corning website. But, back to the original question, is there much difference between GAF and Owens Corning or are all shingles pretty much the same in terms of quality and longevity?

Another side question I had about shingles is dark vs. light. I live in Minnesota, so the initial thought would be dark because it will keep the roof warmer during winter and melt the snow quicker. On the other hand, my electric air conditioner is a hell of a lot more expensive to run than my gas furnace, so that is kind of a wash. Also, I live in a rambler/ranch home with a vented attic so I'm not sure that would make much difference anyway. I am curious about how well shingles hold up over time to high temps. Regardless of the climate, would a white shingle last longer than a black shingle based solely on the fact that they would absorb less heat?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

But, back to the original question, is there much difference between GAF and Owens Corning or are all shingles pretty much the same in terms of quality and longevity?

No. These are well understood commodity products with warranties from massive manufacturing companies. Until you start asking about "Joe's Downhome Shingle Company" products, which may be the best goddamn thing in the corner of that state for their particular weather or repackaged poo poo they buy from the town dump, it's all the same. What matters is the installer and the quality of install.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

No. These are well understood commodity products with warranties from massive manufacturing companies. Until you start asking about "Joe's Downhome Shingle Company" products, which may be the best goddamn thing in the corner of that state for their particular weather or repackaged poo poo they buy from the town dump, it's all the same. What matters is the installer and the quality of install.

Thanks. I was worried that I might be making a big mistake in quality based on color preference. Now that I know that, I'm going to call some other Owens Corning certified contractors tomorrow.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

SkunkDuster posted:

Thanks. I was worried that I might be making a big mistake in quality based on color preference. Now that I know that, I'm going to call some other Owens Corning certified contractors tomorrow.

Owens Corning architectural is what I normally specify, you're good.

Recently they've been running out of certain colors (I understand they are running the more popular lines to keep up with demand, pausing production on less popular products). So ask specifically about the one you want.

That said, last time I ran into an out of stock color was late last year.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I had a buddy deal with a roofer who came to drop off supplies and tried to charge them because they needed a different crane. My friend told them they did a site survey so why would they not account for that?

Then they dumped the materials so they could bring a crane. Instead of Landmark Pro that got quoted the stuff dumped was regular Landmark. They called and got offered cash for the difference but asked that they get what was specced.

How likely is it this roofing company usually pulls this scam and charges people for higher tier products? If they had managed to put them up on the roof the first time my friend would have been none the wiser.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Whole lotta roofing companies are fly by night and shady

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hed posted:

How likely is it this roofing company usually pulls this scam and charges people for higher tier products?

100%, and they're likely to bail on any job where someone calls them on it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Redoing vinyl in kitchen-should I just put new over existing or rip out the old/in with the new? The installer said to rip out and replace subfloor would cost $1k.

Pretty sure the existing linoleum is from 1988.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

brugroffil posted:

Whole lotta roofing companies are fly by night and shady

Insurance adjuster since 1985, can confirm.

nwin posted:

Redoing vinyl in kitchen-should I just put new over existing or rip out the old/in with the new? The installer said to rip out and replace subfloor would cost $1k.

If everything is flat & level & there's no loose underlayment, sure, go for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

What can anyone tell me about Modified Bitumen roofing? I finally settled with my insurance company and that's what my roofer is suggesting.

Google makes it sound nice.

This is a flat, mansard roof.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Deviant posted:

What can anyone tell me about Modified Bitumen roofing? I finally settled with my insurance company and that's what my roofer is suggesting.

Google makes it sound nice.

This is a flat, mansard roof.

Not my favorite choice, but what matters most is what your installer recommends (assuming they have a long track record and are willing to stand by their work). Be aware that there are several types of Modified Bitumen systems, some require 'torching' the roof down which is not something I would recommend due to structure fire risk.

Here's a vendor that sells a bunch of different membrane systems including adhered and torch MB. Just in case you want to browse their information. I typically recommend a TPO or EPDM roof membrane instead of MB.
https://www.mulehide.com/Roofing-Products/c/Membranes

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Tezer posted:

Not my favorite choice, but what matters most is what your installer recommends (assuming they have a long track record and are willing to stand by their work). Be aware that there are several types of Modified Bitumen systems, some require 'torching' the roof down which is not something I would recommend due to structure fire risk.

Here's a vendor that sells a bunch of different membrane systems including adhered and torch MB. Just in case you want to browse their information. I typically recommend a TPO or EPDM roof membrane instead of MB.
https://www.mulehide.com/Roofing-Products/c/Membranes

I am actually replacing a TPO system that is past its usable life. The quote I got for the MB system was $33k, and while I'm still getting quotes, my insurance check is about $36k.

Additionally I'll have to put gutters on, as I don't have any at this time (yeah i know)

Edit: I re-read the estimate, it's a self adhering mod bit, not a torched.

quote:

SCOPE OF WORK:
o Tear off existing roof.
o Visually inspect decking/sheathing, flashing, waterproofing, and roof-to-wall transitions. Water damaged, broken, deteriorated or rotted
decking/sheathing, or other hidden damage that must be replaced, or work that must be performed, to conform or comply with Florida Building
Code, Industry Standards, or manufacturer specifications will be replaced and charged according to per unit pricing.
o Re-nail roof deck with 8D round head, ring shank nails.
o Provide and install new drip edge. Color XXXXX
o Provide and install all new lead boots with protective covers. Color XXXXX
o Provide and install all new goosenecks. Color XXXXX
o Provide and install 1 new 2x2 w/ 4" curb surface-mount glass skylight.
o Provide and install self-adhered base sheet, according to manufacturer’s specifications.
o Provide and install tapered insulation, according to manufacturer’s specifications, to give roof proper pitch for water drainage.
o Provide and install self-adhered modified bitumen, with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty, according to manufacturer’s specifications.
o Provide and install new valleys, using 8 step closed valley system.
o Provide and install self-adhering Polymer modified underlayment to entire sloped roof deck.
o Provide and install Owens Corning Duration shingles according to manufacturer’s specifications.
Color: XXXXX

o URC to furnish material and labor necessary to perform the Scope of Work.
o URC to furnish a building permit.
o Clean up and haul off all roofing debris from property.
o Roll yard with magnetic nail bar after completion of Scope of Work to ensure removal of nails.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 15, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

First of all, yes, you should take out the old vinyl if possible. This doesn't mean taking out the subfloor unless it's really masticed down.

You would replace the subfloor if the subfloor needs replacing (damage, soft spots, etc) and not just because or just because the old linoleum won't come up. $1k sounds like a goddamn deal for replacing the subfloor which leads me to believe they aren't doing it properly (which would include pulling all base cabinets to do the entire floor of the room).

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Air sealing is the hobby I never knew I needed in my life.

this thread posted:

Roofer thinks there might not be a leak, it might be another case of moist air causing condensation. There's a clear gap in the sheet rock/vapor barrier right where the damage is. Next step cut open more drywall, see how bad it is in there.
So we got this roof replaced. During that process we got to see more what was going on in there. Professionals in this industry know things, but none that I get to talk to do root cause analysis. Makes sense, way too much work to fully understand the why, just fix it. But, is it fixed? If the problem is moist air infiltration (roofer thinks so, carpenter thinks not), then no it's not fixed yet. While things were opened up I caulked the seams from the top side, and taped an extra flap of 6 mil plastic where the gap was too wide to caulk. Now we need to seal up from the inside.

Here's a wide angle while the roof was opened up.

The skylight over the ladder is an exploratory hole I cut. The strip of light to the right of that is where the gap is large. It's dark to the left because the gap is much tighter. The rot was all the way across though, which undermines the moist air theory slightly.

Here's some more details of the wall they left unfinished (and my hole)

In the last one you can see daylight between the header and the post. This is right below where the damage was the worst.

I can see why they didn't finish this wall. Even if we take the doors off, it's a pretty finicky drywall job that doesn't appear to do much (unless you've been made ultra paranoid about moist air infiltration). I'm not sure what the best way to handle it is (well yes, I know the best way is to throw the whole house away and start fresh. But even if money were no object, am I able to find a builder who would do better?).

Seem the options are-
-Just seal best we can with the doors in place
-Take doors down, finish the wall, put doors back. Not sure if these same doors would mount properly again, some of the brackets protrude above the plane of the ceiling drywall right now.
-Remodel the wall/door to a different setup. Is there a french door or sliding door setup that is worth a drat?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If that damage was caused by "moist air infiltration" and you've replaced the decking and the roofing material properly you should have another 85 years before you have to worry about it getting that bad again.

(your roof was leaking)

(and if anyone was seriously concerned about moist air infiltration they should have replaced the decking with marine plywood)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well I’m an idiot and made my first mistake as a homeowner- I assumed.

Went to mount my tv about 4” below where the previous owner had mounted his. I used a stud finder and verified that, but I must have drilled through a wire because the power in the living room doesn’t work and the breaker in the basement tripped for the living room.

I’ve got an electrician coming out tomorrow but I have no idea what to expect. He said his rate is $90/hour.

Best case is I guess he’ll have to knock some holes in the wall to see how much wiring I hosed up, and then replace at least that much. No clue what code would require to see if he can even just replace a few feet of wire or if he needs to replace the whole thing. Basically no clue what I’m up against.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

nwin posted:

Well I’m an idiot and made my first mistake as a homeowner- I assumed.

Went to mount my tv about 4” below where the previous owner had mounted his. I used a stud finder and verified that, but I must have drilled through a wire because the power in the living room doesn’t work and the breaker in the basement tripped for the living room.

Basically no clue what I’m up against.

There is a UL listed hidden splice. It will take basically an hour and then you get to patch it and paint it. Or they can cut a box if they need to do anything more complicated. This is easy.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

H110Hawk posted:

There is a UL listed hidden splice. It will take basically an hour and then you get to patch it and paint it. Or they can cut a box if they need to do anything more complicated. This is easy.

Nice! This is the one and only time I plan on drilling into the wall, so hopefully this doesn’t happen again. I think it was the lag bolts that did me in-I read that wires are supposed to be far back enough that you shouldn’t hit them with a nail or screw on normal occasions.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If you don't already have an outlet box behind the TV, this could be a good opportunity to add one

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

brugroffil posted:

If you don't already have an outlet box behind the TV, this could be a good opportunity to add one

Good point. There’s one below the tv about 3-4’ but it’d be nice to have it hidden completely.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Legrand (and others) make slick recessed A/V boxes like this:
https://www.legrand.us/wiring-devic...ite/p/tv1wtvssw

Your can get ones with different low voltage inserts or even just the brush passthrough. Keeps everything neat and tidy behind the walls.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nwin posted:

Nice! This is the one and only time I plan on drilling into the wall, so hopefully this doesn’t happen again. I think it was the lag bolts that did me in-I read that wires are supposed to be far back enough that you shouldn’t hit them with a nail or screw on normal occasions.

Drilling into the wall is nothing to be scared of, just need to take the normal precautions.

I would recommend you pick up a stud finder that also alerts you to AC current behind the drywall. You can also kinda intuit where wires might likely run based on where outlets are located but it's reasonable that someone would be unable to guess that correctly.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

After all my hard work replacing attic insulation, my 2nd floor is currently sitting at 92F. It's 74F on the 1st floor. :negative: :cry:

Anybody ever install a ductless system with either a floor or ceiling mount unit? Due to my sloped ceiling there is essentially no exterior wall space to mount a wall-mount unit. I do have an interior wall that I could potentially mount a unit on but a ceiling cassette would really be ideal.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My installer said he wouldn't even consider a ceiling unit. With wall mounted units, the condensate can just flow away with gravity, but with a ceiling unit there has to be a pump to get rid of the condensate, and they're loud and not reliable apparently.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

There is a UL listed hidden splice.

Tell me more about this please.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FISHMANPET posted:

My installer said he wouldn't even consider a ceiling unit. With wall mounted units, the condensate can just flow away with gravity, but with a ceiling unit there has to be a pump to get rid of the condensate, and they're loud and not reliable apparently.

Well, poo poo.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

Tell me more about this please.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tyco-Electronics-Romex-Splice-Kit-2-Wire-1-Clam-A22899-000/202204326

I learned about it from the electric wiring thread.

Ceiling cassette: Technically you can get a gravity drain setup going with a ceiling unit. It sort of depends on how you wind up mounting it and if you're lucky. Sounds like you might need a pump though. Those pumps last plenty long but they are a wear item as far as I know, but I'm no pro. I wouldn't let that stop me.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 15, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, this is literally the only code compliant splice period.

Just to make sure everyone understands this: You can't splice behind a wall. It has to be in a box and the box has to be accessible. So unless you want a blank wall plate where you did the patch this Tyco splice is literally the only option.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Well, poo poo.

FWIW we had to use a pump on a mini split unit and we were able to put it in separate spare room and the installer seemed to make it seem like a pretty common practice.

We also had a floor unit installed as well an we were surprised by how small it was and how much more integrated into the room it appeared versus the typical wall mounts. We got them installed a couple of months ago so I might eat my words on things but we're really happy so far.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Motronic posted:

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, this is literally the only code compliant splice period.

Just to make sure everyone understands this: You can't splice behind a wall. It has to be in a box and the box has to be accessible. So unless you want a blank wall plate where you did the patch this Tyco splice is literally the only option.

But, that splice exists and works very well. I used one last year on a run I didn't want to re-run and it was a little bit of magic.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I'm sorry my mind is just blown that there's a legal way to connect wires in a wall that isn't a j-box.

Also a little mad I didn't know about this sooner, but mostly just mind blown.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

I'm sorry my mind is just blown that there's a legal way to connect wires in a wall that isn't a j-box.

Also a little mad I didn't know about this sooner, but mostly just mind blown.

They're expensive. And I don't think you really want to use one unless you really need it. A blank cover box will blend in better than you think it will in a lot of instances.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm wondering if it's legal in Chicago, Land of Conduits

e:
VV oh right duh

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 16, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

brugroffil posted:

I'm wondering if it's legal in Chicago, Land of Conduits
Romex isn't, so I'm not sure where exactly you'd use it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Dave posted:

FWIW we had to use a pump on a mini split unit and we were able to put it in separate spare room and the installer seemed to make it seem like a pretty common practice.

We also had a floor unit installed as well an we were surprised by how small it was and how much more integrated into the room it appeared versus the typical wall mounts. We got them installed a couple of months ago so I might eat my words on things but we're really happy so far.

What's the brand/model of the floor unit you had installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You might be surprised at where they can install a unit, wall or floor or otherwise, and it might be best to have a couple installers out to take a look. I looked for Mitsubishi Platinum contractors on their website, and picked 3 and called them up. They were all happy to come out and give free quotes, as it's a big enough market here I think that the companies can have at least one person dedicated to just making those quotes.

We have the external unit on the north side of the house, with one interior unit upstairs in our bedroom, also on the north side. That one goes up the exterior wall, into the house throw my closet and into our bedroom. The other unit is on the main floor on the south side, so that run goes through the basement and then up the exterior south wall to the interior unit. Which was all more than I thought would be possible. The installers will probably have ideas for getting something into your upstairs that you won't even have considered.