Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

PT6A posted:

Say what now?

What's the logic behind that claim?

There’s no logic, these statements may as well be generated by a chatbot fed by wingnut message boards. Green and Boebert in particular were hired as lightning rods to make the rest of the party look sane by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah the point was to mention "transgender" and "bathrooms" in the same sentence and let the chuds have at it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

For those who have either been saying that Biden should have been making EOs in support of LGBT+ issues, or that he could not do that, here you go!

We'll need the executive order since that's most of that's pretty vague and doesn't really look to be any kind of response to the anti-trans actions by states recently, but do conversion camps receive significant federal funds currently? That's a curiosity I've not heard before.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

Say what now?

What's the logic behind that claim?

She says the reason there aren't enough tampons to go around is because THE DEMOCRATS are putting them all in men's bathrooms for trans people to use.

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1537045319501942785

Similarly, she's blaming the baby formula shortages on immigrants.

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1536539035774210051

It's pretty concerning, honestly. Rather than just blaming shortages on the Dems and using that to take power so they can oppress vulnerable folks, they're directly blaming vulnerable folks.

PhazonLink posted:

i mean technicial racism is a type of logic is just mostly evil bullshit bad.

Also she's doing stuff with Milo? I thought he was fading into nothingness and under a poo poo ton of debt.

MTG hired him on as an unpaid intern a couple months ago. So he's still under a pile of debt, but he might get the opportunity to become relevant again.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kalli posted:

We'll need the executive order since that's most of that's pretty vague and doesn't really look to be any kind of response to the anti-trans actions by states recently, but do conversion camps receive significant federal funds currently? That's a curiosity I've not heard before.

Yeah it seems pretty vague

Here is the White House page on the exec order, I can't find the actual order text

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ng-pride-month/

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Did it occur to this waste of flesh that maybe condoms and tampons should be present in both bathrooms because they aren't non-transferrable products, and might be purchased by someone other than the intended user for any number of reasons, even before bringing trans people into the conversation?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kalli posted:

No. The executive order basically just "clarifies" that federal agencies aren't allowed to be supporting them at all, even though they aren't currently, but it basically says to make sure nobody who gets federal funds uses them for that. It doesn't currently change anything from the status quo, though. It doesn't really do anything except make extra clear what the policy is.

The suicide prevention resource changes, access to gender affirming care, and adoption/foster family guidelines are materially significant.

The FTC investigation/clarification into conversion therapy advertising and whether they qualify as false advertising could be significant or not. It really depends on how the FTC handles it. I'm not sure how aggressive conversion therapy sites are advertising in public or making specific medical claims. They seem like the kind of thing your pastor/crazy aunt recommends and not something that does a lot of public advertising.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

Fetterman is getting more rectangular every time I see a picture of him. By election day he's going to be a Thwomp.

Then he can jump into the air and squish Dr. Oz.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Then he can jump into the air and squish Dr. Oz.

Why wait, just eat him now. He IS the larger candidate, after all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

Fetterman is merely gathering the energy of Pennslyvania into himself

He's up 9 points solely on the fact that someone looking at him can just say "yes this man is from Pennslyvania"

He's the Avatar of PA

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also anybody who has ever stocked those vending machines can tell you it is the most generic poo poo nobody would ever buy at retail if they could avoid it. They are not consumer products in most places.

Also "warehouses along the border" wtf does that even mean, immigrants are stockpiling our baby formula?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Mendrian posted:

Also anybody who has ever stocked those vending machines can tell you it is the most generic poo poo nobody would ever buy at retail if they could avoid it. They are not consumer products in most places.

Also "warehouses along the border" wtf does that even mean, immigrants are stockpiling our baby formula?

Again, it's just a way to mention the border, which always means the southern border where the scary brown people are, and never like, Canadians.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mendrian posted:

Last month, someone took a photo of a pallet of baby formula, sent it to right-wing media, and claimed it was destined for a immigration processing center.

Ever since, the far right has been screaming about how Biden should be deporting immigrant babies faster so that he can PUT AMERICA FIRST. Here's a sampling:
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1524922492695064576
https://twitter.com/Kat_Cammack/status/1524427674638336001
https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1524780672795164672

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it seems pretty vague

Here is the White House page on the exec order, I can't find the actual order text

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ng-pride-month/

Order text:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...ex-individuals/

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

For those who have either been saying that Biden should have been making EOs in support of LGBT+ issues, or that he could not do that, here you go!

Here we go... where? I mean look at this

quote:

the president's order will call on the Department of Health and Human Services to release new sample policies for states on how to expand access to comprehensive health care for LGBTQ patients. He is also calling on the Department of Education to release a sample school policy for achieving full inclusion for LGBTQ students.

The executive order will also strengthen federal data collection on sexual orientation and gender identity among LGBTQ homelessness and housing insecurity, as well as access to health care.

This is immensely weak poo poo. They're going to create some sample policies and... what? Hope the psychos trying to exterminate us read them and go "oh wow, that's much smarter than what we were doing before!"? What's the plan for when red states tell HHS and the DoE where to shove their sample policies like they've been doing since reconstruction? They're going to gather data on how many of us are homeless, so at least they'll know! And does anyone still fall for the "access to" healthcare line? This sucks rear end! God drat I loving hate Joe Biden!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

Fetterman is getting more rectangular every time I see a picture of him. By election day he's going to be a Thwomp.

Every time I see a picture of Fetterman I think of Kingpin from Into The Spider-Verse.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

some plague rats posted:

This is immensely weak poo poo. They're going to create some sample policies and... what? Hope the psychos trying to exterminate us read them and go "oh wow, that's much smarter than what we were doing before!"? What's the plan for when red states tell HHS and the DoE where to shove their sample policies like they've been doing since reconstruction? They're going to gather data on how many of us are homeless, so at least they'll know! And does anyone still fall for the "access to" healthcare line? This sucks rear end! God drat I loving hate Joe Biden!

I would like to know what exactly "access" to health care means in this scenario. The term's definition is ambiguous because it's used in politics to refer to access to healthcare that is practical, i.e. good enough insurance coverage to make going to the doctor not a serious blow to one's finances, or theoretical, i.e. a doctor exists near you who would take you as a patient. I suppose we'll find out when the text of the DHHS' drafts becomes available, though as you say states are under no compunction to listen to these and it will not improve matters in red states.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Virginia has recriminalized possession of marijuana.

Maximum penalty for possession of 4 ounces or more is currently a civil fine of $25.

After this, maximum penalty is a $1,000 fine and 6 months in prison for a second offense.

The Virginia house has also blocked the Senate's efforts to approve retail sales.

https://norml.org/blog/2022/06/01/virginia-approved-budget-recriminalizes-public-marijuana-possession-over-4-ounces/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 16, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
elections have consequences. still not sure if I've heard or read a decently argued postmort of VA, like I guess parents mass switching after the unforced error/gaff of disrespecting parents of students sticks in my mind, but thats just a small part.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

PT6A posted:

Did it occur to this waste of flesh that maybe condoms and tampons should be present in both bathrooms because they aren't non-transferrable products, and might be purchased by someone other than the intended user for any number of reasons, even before bringing trans people into the conversation?

she's doing a transphobia there and literally nothing else

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

some plague rats posted:

In the case of schools, the administration actually has signaled the use of federal funding as a leverage tool which is really the federal government's only power over schools. Remember: States don't even have to provide free education for children if they really didn't want to.

The main issue is that:
-- It involves a great deal of bureaucracy. Last month's push around free lunch programs basically just demanded investigations of recipients that were not following Title IX.
-- It's a regressive policy as its leveraging money that on the face of it helps vulnerable groups, so it's easy to spin in a bad way.
-- Conservatives also hate the poor.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He thinks Biden has gone "extreme left" because he has "given in to cancel culture," the FTC and NHTSA are both investigating Tesla, the SEC has fined him for misleading investors, and the Build Back Better bill had a provision giving a bonus $4,000 consumer rebate on top of the standard $8,000 consumer rebate for buying an electric car if your electric car was made in America with union labor.

So, his definition of "moderate" is probably pretty unique.

Polarization has really done a number on the U.S in the past decade is what I keep coming back too. I'm still kind of amazed the country hasn't devolved into all out open civil war between red and blue states and that there hasn't been even more political violence than has transpired. loving poo poo tons of rhetoric getting thrown around more and more nowadays though with the literally endless culture wars and complete abdication of policy platforms. Tons of people with influence now buy into a lot of this poo poo too as evidenced by the likes of Elon Musk, Joe Rogan and likeminded individuals. Anyway I almost can't remember what American politics was like before all the screeching name calling and jeering between a party that spends all it's energy talking about how they're going to turbo gently caress the other one and everyone in the world that doesn't do exactly what they want when they're drat well told, and that one just kind of sitting their and taking it and not really doing much in response.

You just literally don't need a policy platform to run a campaign anymore it would seem so I don't entirely get what the point of democracy is anymore when you're getting poo poo choices. The GOP only talks about inflation in the context of it happening on Biden's what, of course not offering solutions on what they would do. Just the usual vague insults, rhetoric and insinuations about there not being inflation a year ago and "get things back on track" by voting for Republicans who 99% of the time only go on about culture wars and wanting to stick it to the LGBT community.

It's just really bad for democracy that that's an effective tactic and people just go for that, have that little faith or value systems with regard to anything like deciding on candidates to elect to congress, and that just saying the thing that opposes the thing that they are told to be against is seen as a viable political solution and legitimate debate and discourse all in one. It's just kind of the definition of political backsliding and decaying of the political conversation. Like this is the same country that had the Civil Rights movement of the 60's and came up with those ideas and discussions within a lot of our parents and grandparents lifetime.

BTW having seen how it's gone in the first couple years I would have to say that pretty weak leadership from Biden has kind of plagued the party and hurt their chances of impeding further encroachment from GOP fascism. It's been kind of hard to sit here and deny that his second year hasn't been pretty bad. Not Trump bad, but bad enough that it opens the door to people considering an alternative and willing to buy into the GOP craziness again more than in 2020 when their landing on topics that are related to inflation or baby formula shortages and not bullshit like culture wars and whining about Trump losing in 2020. They'll regret it though if the GOP get an even bigger grip on power than state level gerrymandering and a scuffed partisan Supreme Court gives them.

In a normal political climate, I'd probably say there's no way Biden get's re-elected unless there's a big turn around in his presidency (which is hard to imagine without more Democratic seats in congress letting them pass legislation), but the GOP's insistence on full throttle culture wars and likeliness to put up the most polarizing candidate they can possibly find for presidency kind of makes 2024 a toss-up I imagine. DeSantis would probably be their best bet because he's a big rear end in a top hat about the culture war horseshit and assorted rhetoric, but he can also probably carry a talking point other than about himself or that when he needs to, which I think is impossible for Trump.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 16, 2022

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Virginia has recriminalized possession of marijuana.

Maximum penalty for possession of 4 ounces or more is currently a civil fine of $25.

After this, maximum penalty is a $1,000 fine and 6 months in prison for a second offense.

The Virginia house has also blocked the Senate's efforts to approve retail sales.

https://norml.org/blog/2022/06/01/virginia-approved-budget-recriminalizes-public-marijuana-possession-over-4-ounces/

This is a dumb and stupid move but it's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. Colorado allows only up to 2 oz by comparison. Va is still double that.

Va should be working on legalizing recreational dispensaries instead of what they're doing, but this is what happens when you nominate Terry McCaullife. Hopefully Va Democrats are less stupid during the next primary for Governor.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Not sure if this has been posted already, but DOJ challenged the anti-trans bill in Alabama on 14th amendment grounds https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-challenges-alabama-law-criminalizes-medically-necessary-care-transgender

Title IX for trans students is reinstated by Biden's DOE. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/16/us/politics/title-ix-transgender-students.html

As far as doing what they can without Congress, I'm glad to see these things happening.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

B B posted:

This is a dumb and stupid move but it's not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

How big a deal were they making it out to be? As far as I can see they were just describing something that's happening.

Also, putting people into prison for weed is actually monstrous.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Does Elon have American citizenship? If so, DeSantis is technically correct that he's an African-American, the worst kind of correct

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timeless Appeal posted:

In the case of schools, the administration actually has signaled the use of federal funding as a leverage tool which is really the federal government's only power over schools. Remember: States don't even have to provide free education for children if they really didn't want to.

The main issue is that:
-- It involves a great deal of bureaucracy. Last month's push around free lunch programs basically just demanded investigations of recipients that were not following Title IX.
-- It's a regressive policy as its leveraging money that on the face of it helps vulnerable groups, so it's easy to spin in a bad way.
-- Conservatives also hate the poor.

That last point seems like the most important one, they're basically threatening republicans with a good time. How the hell is "we're going to stop funding your kid's schools" the best leverage they could come up with?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Does Elon have American citizenship?

Yes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HonorableTB posted:

Does Elon have American citizenship? If so, DeSantis is technically correct that he's an African-American, the worst kind of correct

I think everyone understood the middle-school level gotcha moment he was going for there. You don't, in fact, have to hand it to him for recycling an old joke from Mean Girls or whatever

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I always thought "African-American" is specifically referring to the descendants of slaves because they don't know their exact origins (neither did many modern countries exist then) while someone emigrating from say DRC and their descendants would be "Congolese-American". I certainly hope that America doesn't just automatically put all black countries in one category while French Americans, German Americans, etc. get their own...

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It can be both. For example, the term 'Asian American' was termed by students and activists from many Asian countries as a way to band together beyond their regional differences and fight together for recognition and to fight against harmful stereotypes including the 'model minority' ones.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

I always thought "African-American" is specifically referring to the descendants of slaves because they don't know their exact origins (neither did many modern countries exist then) while someone emigrating from say DRC and their descendants would be "Congolese-American". I certainly hope that America doesn't just automatically put all black countries in one category while French Americans, German Americans, etc. get their own...

No, African-American just means Black. You're presumably thinking of ADOS, which is its own can of worms

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Lol I guess I am African-American too then if citizenship and being black is enough

Sorry about Elon :negative:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

In a completely predictable turn, the non politician with diagnosed multiple personality disorder might have some baggage.

https://twitter.com/tracyconnor/status/1537397825369145344?s=21&t=Gz5b3XSqyq7UntYRrPAyTA

Every time he opens his mouth it’s a cry for help for someone to contact adult protective services.

https://twitter.com/nothoodlum/status/1537115232191057920?s=21&t=Gz5b3XSqyq7UntYRrPAyTA

And he’s tied in the most recent poll

https://twitter.com/jacobrubashkin/status/1536802774817677315?s=21&t=Gz5b3XSqyq7UntYRrPAyTA

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 16, 2022

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

In a completely predictable the non politician with diagnosed multiple personality disorder might have some baggage.

https://twitter.com/tracyconnor/status/1537397825369145344?s=21&t=Gz5b3XSqyq7UntYRrPAyTA

Every time he opens his mouth it’s a cry for help for someone to contact adult protective services.

https://twitter.com/nothoodlum/status/1537115232191057920?s=21&t=Gz5b3XSqyq7UntYRrPAyTA

https://twitter.com/jacobrubashkin/status/1536802774817677315?s=21&t=Gz5b3XSqyq7UntYRrPAyTA

I'm not going to get in a huge argument being accused of defending R's but please reconsider the language you're using and how it might contribute to the stigmatizing mental health disorders and generating a feeling of ableism that those with psych. disorders aren't capable of being public servants.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

some plague rats posted:

That last point seems like the most important one, they're basically threatening republicans with a good time. How the hell is "we're going to stop funding your kid's schools" the best leverage they could come up with?
I think specifically focusing on school lunches in particular is an issue because that doesn't really hurt the school as much as you would think. The food service is often very divorced from other elements of the school.

Title I funding on the other hand is a different matter because while Title I funding is attached to students from low income families, it for the most part goes into a big pot of money and can provide you with some flexibility in spending. Losing Title I stings like a motherfucker.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FizFashizzle posted:

In a completely predictable turn, the non politician with diagnosed multiple personality disorder might have some baggage.

It's absolutely amazing how completely meaningless anything except victory is to Republican voters. Not even a pretense of standards or coherent morality, just an endless parade of "You thought we were evil before? You ain't seen nothing yet. Hold my beer." There just is no floor to their absolute debasement at the altar of being awful.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Kale posted:

Polarization has really done a number on the U.S in the past decade is what I keep coming back too. I'm still kind of amazed the country hasn't devolved into all out open civil war between red and blue states

A good post and sorry for picking nits at hypotheticals but a second civil war in America would be significantly more messy than just "red states" vs. "blue states." I imagine, for example, that Cascadia would be a hotbed of violence. Oregon and Washington are "blue states" but the Eastern regions of them are blood red.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

DarkCrawler posted:

It's absolutely amazing how completely meaningless anything except victory is to Republican voters. Not even a pretense of standards or coherent morality, just an endless parade of "You thought we were evil before? You ain't seen nothing yet. Hold my beer." There just is no floor to their absolute debasement at the altar of being awful.

Only exceptions I can think of are Roy Moore and Madison Cawthorne but you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Only exceptions I can think of are Roy Moore and Madison Cawthorne but you're right.

Cawthorn was voted out in the primary, replaced by another Republican more likely to win. That's tactical, not moral.