Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I mean, he still had 22g and 61p in the regular season. I think the rumblings that he was playing hurt for the first two rounds were true and if all he does is score clutch goals then that's all we need to win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I would buy that both Rantanen and Burakovsky were playing through injuries, because they were both much better last night than they had been playing. With Burakovsky though, it seems like he's always kind of been streaky like that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Simplex posted:

I would buy that both Rantanen and Burakovsky were playing through injuries, because they were both much better last night than they had been playing. With Burakovsky though, it seems like he's always kind of been streaky like that.

The Caps had no room on the roster for a streaky guy, that’s why we traded him. Too many other superstars like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Wilson, etc. Bura was going to be due for a new contract and it wasn’t going to be worth it for the Caps at the time. But when he is locked in, he is a top six player and can amaze with his talent.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Burakovsky is a player who needs a lot of space to use his shot, which is otherwise quite good. This is a lot more apt to happen during the regular season than the playoffs. He's pretty bad at forechecking, board battles and lots of other playoff things.

Like this bounce was super, super fortunate in that it give Nichuskin just enough time and Bura just enough space. Hedman gets a stick on that 99 times out of 100, but he had just blocked the shot.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1537272728427778048

e: I guess you could say a lot of Caps players are also "very reliable regular season players who otherwise stink in the playoffs except that one time."

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 16, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chad Sexington posted:

Burakovsky is a player who needs a lot of space to use his shot, which is otherwise quite good. This is a lot more apt to happen during the regular season than the playoffs. He's pretty bad at forechecking, board battles and lots of other playoff things.

Like this bounce was super, super fortunate in that it give Nichuskin just enough time and Bura just enough space. Hedman gets a stick on that 99 times out of 100, but he had just blocked the shot.

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1537272728427778048

e: I guess you could say a lot of Caps players are also "very reliable regular season players who otherwise stink in the playoffs except that one time."

Seen him whiff, chunk, or shoot wide that one-timer so many times on the Caps. But then he’ll go and make a clutch goal like that and make you question why you wanted to trade him in the first place. The joys of being a hockey fan.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I like that pass because it's the same pass that if like Burakovsky heels it that Edzo will spend a period about complaining that Val should have shot and man Edzo is a loving idiot

also big Val is gonna get paid this Summer

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Val sold his options extremely well on that pass, it was nice and good imo

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

He's three years out from a zero goal season after spending two years in the KHL. By all rights he should've just gone back to Russia forever but he stuck it out and somehow shifted his narrative into a defensively reliable goalscorer. I am not sure there's been a more buyer beware free agent in the history of the sport.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Quote not edit dammit

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

I like that pass because it's the same pass that if like Burakovsky heels it that Edzo will spend a period about complaining that Val should have shot and man Edzo is a loving idiot

Nichushkin’s had such a weird career. Drafted by Dallas to be an Ovechkin-like winger who can fly down the wing and use his size to cut to the middle/win board battles. Then he put up meh numbers his first few seasons, hosed off to the KHL for two years and came back to Dallas and scored 0 goals in 57 games. Goes to Colorado and becomes a defensively responsible 20-pt winger for two years, then explodes for 52pts in 62 games this year on a stacked team.

I feel like any team signing him long-term is gonna regret it

e: beaten by thinktank on everything I said, gently caress!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Am I right in remembering that Nichushkin was someone who was projected as high as 1-2 in the draft but dropped over concerns he was secretly older? Or was that Forsberg?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Haven't Nichuskin's underlying numbers always been pretty decent? I feel like anyone who signs him could probably reasonably expect some solid play. Maybe the offense won't remain what it has been, but the overall play driving should remain.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Am I right in remembering that Nichushkin was someone who was projected as high as 1-2 in the draft but dropped over concerns he was secretly older? Or was that Forsberg?

Some people said he was secretly 20 in his draft but I don't think that affected his stock too much. He was never a contender for a top pick. He was projected to go somewhere from 4th to 8th and went 10th. He fell because he didn't get a ton of playing time in his draft year, his supposed lack of defence and the Russian factor. He also had a longer contract in the KHL which he had to be bought out of so smaller market teams skipped over him because they didn't want to spent $2m just to bring over a relative unknown.

Lots of people (including me) were pretty annoyed that Gillis passed on him at 9th to take Horvat but that was very much the right decision.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
al murray, for some reason, raved about nichushkin at the draft - but that could have just been subterfuge since they were picking third and im sure were either gonna pick drouin or barkov (whomever was left after florida's pick)

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I thought there would be no issue with Avs being able to re-sign Nichuskin next year. But then he's gone full Beast Mode the last 2 series and now I'm not so sure.

How much do you guys think he's going to expect? I saw a site that said his expected value was $10.7M per year. which.... come the gently caress on, no.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Everything I heard said Colorado's offer wasn't close.

My guess is he gets 5-6m and 4+ years if he wants it.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

DrunkPanda posted:

I thought there would be no issue with Avs being able to re-sign Nichuskin next year. But then he's gone full Beast Mode the last 2 series and now I'm not so sure.

How much do you guys think he's going to expect? I saw a site that said his expected value was $10.7M per year. which.... come the gently caress on, no.

Evolving Hockey has him projected for 7 years x $6.4M. Honestly he seems worth it. He was crap in Dallas but his underlying numbers have been excellent in Colorado. Maybe it’s a product of the system but all of the stats nerds seem to think he’s the reason Colorado is good with him on the ice, rather than him being a product of good teammates.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

ThinkTank posted:

He's three years out from a zero goal season after spending two years in the KHL. By all rights he should've just gone back to Russia forever but he stuck it out and somehow shifted his narrative into a defensively reliable goalscorer. I am not sure there's been a more buyer beware free agent in the history of the sport.

I think the guy who just scored 13 goals this postseason and has a chance to be assigned back to his old team by the courts after you sign him has got Burakovsky beat here, imo

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

T-Bone posted:

Everything I heard said Colorado's offer wasn't close.

My guess is he gets 5-6m and 4+ years if he wants it.

I think he's easily worth that. I would be very disappointed if Avs don't offer him at least that. That's basically Burakovsky's contract and he's worth at least 3 Burakovskys

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

He's really good defensively, is skilled enough that he's not going to be embarrassing if you put him on the top line, and his size and skill make him a nightmare situationally. That said, I don't think his production this year is sustainable at all, and Lehkonen does all the same things, just in a smaller package. 5-5.5 aav is doable I think, but anything more Colorado should pass.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tinstaach posted:

I think the guy who just scored 13 goals this postseason and has a chance to be assigned back to his old team by the courts after you sign him has got Burakovsky beat here, imo

We're talking Nuke here but fair point. This could be an amazing summer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mind_Taker posted:

Evolving Hockey has him projected for 7 years x $6.4M. Honestly he seems worth it. He was crap in Dallas but his underlying numbers have been excellent in Colorado. Maybe it’s a product of the system but all of the stats nerds seem to think he’s the reason Colorado is good with him on the ice, rather than him being a product of good teammates.

I don't think I buy it. The only kind of team thay would give him that much money is a mediocre to bad one and the will probably look a lot more like he did in Dallas.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Simplex posted:

Rantanen was loving amazing during the regular season, like actually the clear #2 forward on the team right after MacKinnon, and not just in numbers but how he was playing 100% of the time. I'm absolutely convinced Rantanen has been somewhat hurt in the playoffs, not that his playoff numbers are bad pointswise but considering how his movement and stuff looked in general.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I have it on good authority from some dumb nerds that Nicushkin is better than Leon Draisaitl.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I don't think I buy it. The only kind of team thay would give him that much money is a mediocre to bad one and the will probably look a lot more like he did in Dallas.

I’d guess Colorado is going to re-sign him for less than that because he should be a high priority for them. Maybe the prospect of winning a bunch of Cups will keep his salary lower if he stays.

I don’t know how valid WAR stats really are but they love Nichushkin. Everyone does better with him than without him, and as mentioned he’s great defensively. He probably won’t put up the same point totals again but he seems like a perfect facilitator for super skilled players (which is why I think Colorado will push to keep him).

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I think more needs to be made about the fact that a ton of the top UFAs this season suddenly had huge upswings in production in a year where overall scoring went up an unprecedented amount. Like imo it’s basically guaranteed most or all of Gaudreau, Kadri, Forsberg and Nichushkin will not be worth their contracts the second they sign them, gonna be a wild off-season.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Cartoon Man posted:

Seen him whiff, chunk, or shoot wide that one-timer so many times on the Caps. But then he’ll go and make a clutch goal like that and make you question why you wanted to trade him in the first place. The joys of being a hockey fan.

Let me tell you about being a Stars fan and watching nuke do his thing...

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/PuckReportNHL/status/1537555719758589953

Cool

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Yeah but this is the playoff thread, you want the "He doesn't want to gently caress his sister, he's just Quebecois" thread.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Sorry, mis-clicked on that one!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm pretty sure that was his excuse, too.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Cogliano & Kadri are back practicing. Cogliano looks really close to returning (I'm guessing he'll be back by game 3) :dance: . Kadri looks a little further away but maybe he will be back by the end of the series and be able to push the Avs over the top

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 17, 2022

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Or just their presence in the practice rink will be a morale boost for the team!

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/markscheig/status/1537562350127132672
drat, getting it off of NBC really helped

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

It also helps having it be a competitive matchup and not having Montreal be one of the teams.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah having two good teams instead of just one makes it much better.

Although I guess we had that in 2019 and I don't remember being overly interested.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Duckman2008 posted:

It also helps having it be a competitive matchup and not having Montreal be one of the teams.

Or Dallas, who only got there because they were barely able to crawl past Colorado who was forced to go with an empty net the entire last few games

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah having two good teams instead of just one makes it much better.

Although I guess we had that in 2019 and I don't remember being overly interested.

everyone hates boston and doesn't care about st. louis, everyone likes tampa and colorado

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Blues/Bruins game 7 was the most watched game in the US since 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

the air is pretty thin up in colorado