Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moore was only defeated by really strong on the ground organizing. Considering how easily a total dumbass like Tuberville won immediately after that, I doubt someone like Moore would lose again

Just look at all of this stuff with Hershel Walker. Even a couple of years ago, he would never have had a chance to win. But the base just wants people who will do what Trump says, so he’s in a dead heat with the incumbent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Am I also Herschel Walker's secret son?

Kale
May 14, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Moore was only defeated by really strong on the ground organizing. Considering how easily a total dumbass like Tuberville won immediately after that, I doubt someone like Moore would lose again

Just look at all of this stuff with Hershel Walker. Even a couple of years ago, he would never have had a chance to win. But the base just wants people who will do what Trump says, so he’s in a dead heat with the incumbent.

I just have a hard time seeing how the portion of the U.S population is going to be willing to accept this indefinitely. Like should the government tilt towards absolute crazy people nonsense in the coming years and another batch of completely working against a chunk of the publics interest with a bunch of nonsense decision making based on conspiracy poo poo I just dont see the world entirely accepting it. They barely accepted it with 4 years of Trump when there were still sane people in his government they could talk with as a channel up until the last year or so of that era.

This is the sort of stuff that was talked about during the revolutionary war as justifaction on when its legitimate to overthrow a government and establish a new one that works more in the people's interest. You know when the crown started being outright punitive towards the colonies with its policies and George III proved to be legit mentally ill if not insane

Kale fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 16, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kale posted:

I just have a hard time seeing how the portion of the U.S population is going to be willing to accept this indefinitely. Like should the government tilt towards absolute crazy people nonsense in the coming years and another batch of completely working against a chunk of the publics interest with a bunch of nonsense decision making based on conspiracy poo poo I just dont see the world entirely accepting it. They barely accepted it with 4 years of Trump when there were still sane people in his government they could talk with as a channel up until the last year or so of that era.

This is the sort of stuff that was talked about during the revolutionary war as justifaction on when its legitimate to overthrow a government and establish a new one that works more in the people's interest. You know when the crown started being outright punitive towards the colonies with its policies and George III proved to be legit mentally ill if not insane
Here’s the issue though- the majority of the US population has some belief that government doesn’t work and therefore they aren’t surprised when it continues to do so. I’m not sure at what point that becomes an issue for an average person. This belief in nonfunctional government was a hallmark of the Reagan era and deregulation, but that attitude has stuck around since.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Here’s the issue though- the majority of the US population has some belief that government doesn’t work and therefore they aren’t surprised when it continues to do so. I’m not sure at what point that becomes an issue for an average person. This belief in nonfunctional government was a hallmark of the Reagan era and deregulation, but that attitude has stuck around since.

I got curious and looked this up, apparently it was Nixon who caused the initial plummet, which it never recovered from. Or at least since 1958: https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2022/06/06/public-trust-in-government-1958-2022/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kalit posted:

I got curious and looked this up, apparently it was Nixon who caused the initial plummet, which it never recovered from. Or at least since 1958: https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2022/06/06/public-trust-in-government-1958-2022/
Interesting that it actually went up during the Reagan years.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1537436336046493697

two MORE secret children. I think we're up to three now?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

At this rate we will be at his own US Senate of secret children by election day.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Push El Burrito posted:

Am I also Herschel Walker's secret son?

Chances are rising...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I honestly forgot that Herschel Walker used to play football for a Donald Trump owned team and collected paychecks from him.

That was before Trump destroyed the league

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

I honestly forgot that Herschel Walker used to play football for a Donald Trump owned team and collected paychecks from him.

That was before Trump destroyed the league

Yeah, my feel from Walker has been a lot of what Trump did with Kanye: Almost a spoiler or a token candidate. Its almost ironic that the GOP does this a lot with black candidates, almost like its on purpose

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kalit posted:

The data points are pretty scarce, but it looks like LBJ (and to be fair, Vietnam) began a 15-point plummet which Nixon continued, and then Watergate did another major dip. Which sort of fits the usual narrative that the US populace mostly felt comfortable with government, up to a point, during the post-WW2 boom years, but then the sixties happened and it all went to hell. Nixon arguably started the culture wars with his Southern Strategy, so the divisions of today are originally from that era! Kind of sad.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Kale posted:

Approximately 50% of the legislature is elected by approximately 20% of the population. The crazies don't care if people agree with them, in fact they prefer if they don't because then they get to cast themselves as victims.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PT6A posted:

Did it occur to this waste of flesh that maybe condoms and tampons should be present in both bathrooms because they aren't non-transferrable products, and might be purchased by someone other than the intended user for any number of reasons, even before bringing trans people into the conversation?

Hey now, don't go bringing logic into this.

But yeah, having condoms and tampons available in all bathrooms is a good idea that would help many people, so of course Republicans are against it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

More in the Elections Have Consequences department from my lovely state
https://www.virginiamercury.com/2022/06/15/youngkin-proposes-budget-changes-on-education-criminal-justice-and-scotus-protests/
tl;dr "Youngkin’s amendments would delay the imminent early releases of some Virginia prisoners under a Democratic-led reform meant to reward prisoners for good behavior, restrict public funding of abortion, expand alternatives to traditional public schools, push colleges and universities to enact plans to promote free speech, suspend the state’s gas tax for three months and create a new, state-level felony to deter disruptive or “intimidating” protests outside the homes of U.S. Supreme Court justices or courthouses."

A 3-month gas tax holiday would cut VDOT's budget by 1/4. This proposal was already defeated once but I guess he's pushing for it again.

That last bit he's proposing has to be unconstitutional, right? It's saying that protesting using a bullhorn or other noise-making devices in front of a courthouse would be a felony punishable by up to 5 years in jail. That seems totally separate from the current "right to tranquility in the home" law which applies to making excessive noise near a private residence.

Thank loving god Virginia's state Senate is (barely) still under Democratic control.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, my feel from Walker has been a lot of what Trump did with Kanye: Almost a spoiler or a token candidate. Its almost ironic that the GOP does this a lot with black candidates, almost like its on purpose

Oh, it's definitely this 100%. See also: DIamond and Silk, David Clark, Clarence Thomas, Alan Keyes, etc.

They also know that GA has a large black population. It's weird to me how much you hear the RW talk about how celebrities should STFU about politics and stay in their lane but then nominate athletes and game show hosts for office interspersed with interviews with Ted Nugent and poo poo.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

How big a deal were they making it out to be? As far as I can see they were just describing something that's happening.

Also, putting people into prison for weed is actually monstrous.

putting people in prison for doing/possessing drugs generally is monstrous. Driving under the influence or distribution are another story, though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, it's definitely this 100%. See also: DIamond and Silk, David Clark, Clarence Thomas, Alan Keyes, etc.

They also know that GA has a large black population. It's weird to me how much you hear the RW talk about how celebrities should STFU about politics and stay in their lane but then nominate athletes and game show hosts for office interspersed with interviews with Ted Nugent and poo poo.

Because they never mean all celebrities--they mean the ones they don't like. They could not care less if a celebrity is black so long as they're screaming right-wing nonsense.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol I need to stop phone posting

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

I'm not going to get in a huge argument being accused of defending R's but please reconsider the language you're using and how it might contribute to the stigmatizing mental health disorders and generating a feeling of ableism that those with psych. disorders aren't capable of being public servants.

CTE 100% compromises your ability to be a public servant

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Star Man posted:

Because they never mean all celebrities--they mean the ones they don't like. They could not care less if a celebrity is black so long as they're screaming right-wing nonsense.
I mean look at Tommy Tuberville- he had never been in any office before and his previous experience was being a football coach. He was just a name that the GOP could throw on a ballot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Somewhere Philip Rivers sighs and says “Honeyyyyy, we can’t let him catch up!”

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Youth Decay posted:

That last bit he's proposing has to be unconstitutional, right? It's saying that protesting using a bullhorn or other noise-making devices in front of a courthouse would be a felony punishable by up to 5 years in jail. That seems totally separate from the current "right to tranquility in the home" law which applies to making excessive noise near a private residence.

Thank loving god Virginia's state Senate is (barely) still under Democratic control.

This is one of those things that is likely unconstitutional, but who is going to take the horrifyingly massive risk of testing it? Eventually someone will, but courts often don't like to hear challenges to a law before someone is hurt by it so it could basically become de facto legal for a while. Maybe some feisty organization will plan a courthouse protest in the future, get it on the calendar, then go to court saying they are harmed by the law because they were planning on making noise.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

CTE 100% compromises your ability to be a public servant

Is it possible to confirm a diagnosis before death? Maybe from a brain biopsy but that is incresibly dangerous.

Symptoms and some signs are likely present but they could point to other diseases as well (some of which are scapegoats in the greater discussion of CTE).

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

I'm not going to get in a huge argument being accused of defending R's but please reconsider the language you're using and how it might contribute to the stigmatizing mental health disorders and generating a feeling of ableism that those with psych. disorders aren't capable of being public servants.

Wouldn't having a psych disorder be likely to make you less capable of being a public servant, if it's not one that completely responds to treatment?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Maybe we should have some sorta screening for people deciding about national security. Like at a minimum make sure they take their meds. Then again Trump was president and so was Reagan...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dog King posted:

Wouldn't having a psych disorder be likely to make you less capable of being a public servant, if it's not one that completely responds to treatment?

why did you take the bait?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Maybe we should have some sorta screening for people deciding about national security. Like at a minimum make sure they take their meds. Then again Trump was president and so was Reagan...

Given the parade of bloodlusting sociopaths in charge of "national security" throughout U.S history, I don't think mental illness makes much difference.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1537496216526798848?t=SYf9GiUtDPcN_5MXvcXX9A&s=19

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1537507315724824582?t=w50PUOFrItcZEDhFptsbFQ&s=19

uhhh holy poo poo wtf is going on with the DoJ lmao

Is someone getting testy after noticing they weren't doing loving anything about the many crimes heavily documented?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Is someone getting testy after noticing they weren't doing loving anything about the many crimes heavily documented?

DOJ needs complete transcripts so that they can more efficiently decline prosecutions

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

:yeeclaw:

"wow! lookit all this evidence! if we're not careful we might actually have t-t-t-to do our *GULP* j-j-j-jooooobs!!"
"NOOOO!! I WILL BE COLD DEAD IN THE GROUND BEFORE I DO MY JOB!! WE NEED MORE EVIDENCE!!"
*six months later*
"we find insufficient evidence to charge...whatshisface...that guy. those guys."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Devor posted:

DOJ needs complete transcripts so that they can more efficiently decline prosecutions

Also ways to parse out why rich white people can't possibly be criminals, let alone not be true american patriots. Dear god are we ever in deep poo poo right now.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1537496216526798848?t=SYf9GiUtDPcN_5MXvcXX9A&s=19

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1537507315724824582?t=w50PUOFrItcZEDhFptsbFQ&s=19

So isn’t this just further evidence for why Biden should fire Garland or are we still at the clutching our pearls stage?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Can someone walk me through why we're mad about the DOJ asking for more information about what the select committee has learned? I appreciate the general consternation at the DOJ's slow progress and the suspicion that the DOJ getting more information might not lead to anything, but it seems like people are taking this as an affirmative indicator of the DOJ's ineffectiveness and I'm curious why that is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Didn't the committee already say they aren't going to actually pursue any further prosecutions? Whatever info they have is obviously pretty worthless, seems like a pretty weak reason to delay doing anything until after the election

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Epic High Five posted:

Didn't the committee already say they aren't going to actually pursue any further prosecutions? Whatever info they have is obviously pretty worthless, seems like a pretty weak reason to delay doing anything until after the election

No, they said they wouldn't make any referrals to the DoJ, who can (or not) regardless.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It was mentioned earlier that the Garland DOJ is especially cautious about bringing cases, they don't prosecute unless they have a 100% slamdunk case. I suspect they're worried about political blowback from failed prosecutions of Jan 6th rioters and especially of Trump himself. If they bring cases against the rioters or Trump and lose (or even just if those cases drag on for a long time), right-wingers get to triumphantly proclaim they were the victims of a totally phone made-up witch hunt and their innocence has been vindicated in court etc.

Not saying I agree with that approach but that's my assumption as to why the DOJ is moving slowly or not at all on some of this.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

RBA Starblade posted:

No, they said they wouldn't make any referrals to the DoJ, who can (or not) regardless.

Only bennie thompson said that too, the rest were like uhhh what're you talking about

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

So isn’t this just further evidence for why Biden should fire Garland or are we still at the clutching our pearls stage?

Isn't it the opposite? They want to prosecute but the select committee is interrupting/influencing their schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Fritz the Horse posted:

It was mentioned earlier that the Garland DOJ is especially cautious about bringing cases, they don't prosecute unless they have a 100% slamdunk case. I suspect they're worried about political blowback from failed prosecutions of Jan 6th rioters and especially of Trump himself. If they bring cases against the rioters or Trump and lose (or even just if those cases drag on for a long time), right-wingers get to triumphantly proclaim they were the victims of a totally phone made-up witch hunt and their innocence has been vindicated in court etc.

Not saying I agree with that approach but that's my assumption as to why the DOJ is moving slowly or not at all on some of this.
you're acting like they won't claim that anyway.
we better be nice to the people that tried to overthrow the country or they'll get mad and...try to overthrow the country...

they'll all, mysteriously, get juries full of turbo chuds. you'll have jurists with "i heart trump" tattoos promising and pinky swearing that they scan be impartial as the pull their red hat lower and refuse to convict because of all the mole children killary kkklinton is harvesting in her underground labs and prosecution will say "aw shucks"