Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Joystick as scrollbar.

Quoting that for later.

Anyone know if there's a way to browse community bindings willy-nilly?

Sometimes I suspect a satisfying binding would exist but not specifically associated with whatever I'm running.

And whoever decided that all mouse actions should be right-hand-only is killing me. (Literally. Gotta mix up the left and the right to temper RSI.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Anarch posted:

Huh, they're not going by order date then. My 512 was placed on July 16th and still showing Q3 for me.

Which region are you? I’m in the EU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Missionary Positron posted:

Which region are you? I’m in the EU

US-East. Guess west coast is best coast after all. :shrug:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

You can look up where the current queues are on reddit. Here's the latest table:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Does anyone else hate the Steam Keyboard while using the trackpads to type? I get random rear end double inputs (especially on the space bar) and enter inputs so when I'm entering something in it will hit "Enter" and start a search or remove my focus from wherever I was typing. It seems really finnicky or maybe something in my settings is screwed up?

Also, for Trackpad as Joystick, has anyone figured out the right trackpad settings to make it feel like it's acting like a Mouse? I want to tune it so it does but it might just be the nature of the beast in that it'll never feel quite as right.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

sigher posted:

Also, for Trackpad as Joystick, has anyone figured out the right trackpad settings to make it feel like it's acting like a Mouse? I want to tune it so it does but it might just be the nature of the beast in that it'll never feel quite as right.

When using it as a mouse I hate that *tap* is not a click and I have to press down. It's really weird and I ALWAYS move it during the click and miss what I wanted to interact with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The superior method is to use the joystick as the mouse and use R buttons as the mouse clicks, specifically to avoid exactly the push-down-to-click-whoops-selected-something-else issue.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Missionary Positron posted:

Got my e-mail today, pre-ordered a 512gb version July 20 last year so this was a bit of a surprise.

Now I just need to decide if I really need one after all.

Huh.

I ordered a 512gb model on Jul 16, 2021, and haven't gotten my email.

Should I... email Valve support?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it's a USA vs. EU thing. I'm in the USA.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Huh.

I ordered a 512gb model on Jul 16, 2021, and haven't gotten my email.

Should I... email Valve support?

EDIT: Oh, maybe it's a USA vs. EU thing. I'm in the USA.

UK is behind USA which is behind EU with how fast the 512 is going.

EU has 4 days of orders processed already. USA an hour. UK half an hour.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FF7 Remake tomorrow with confirmed Steam Deck compatibility.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FF7 Remake tomorrow with confirmed Steam Deck compatibility.

On steam you mean? If true, I know what I'm doing after work.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Yes, but they went out of their way to outline that it works great on deck

ALSO CRISIS CORE LATER THIS YEAR WOO

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dramicus posted:

Yes. Also includes the Intergrade DLC.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

sigher posted:

Does anyone else hate the Steam Keyboard while using the trackpads to type? I get random rear end double inputs (especially on the space bar) and enter inputs so when I'm entering something in it will hit "Enter" and start a search or remove my focus from wherever I was typing. It seems really finnicky or maybe something in my settings is screwed up?

I hate it too. it switches the input types for me too much so I'm pressing enter when i shouldn't and sending incomplete word messages.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

minusX posted:

Yes, but they went out of their way to outline that it works great on deck

ALSO CRISIS CORE LATER THIS YEAR WOO

Oh hell yeah

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

KakerMix posted:

The superior method is to use the joystick as the mouse and use R buttons as the mouse clicks, specifically to avoid exactly the push-down-to-click-whoops-selected-something-else issue.

I do use the triggers and it doesn't mitigate the problem, it looks like it still registers those extra inputs for some reason.

Also, I'm not seeing any way to change the default layout when you're out of a game and just navigating Steam and the OS. Am I missing something?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s interesting if FF7R runs great on the deck because the PC port when it was on EGS wasn’t in the greatest shape and afaik wasn’t really fixed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

It’s interesting if FF7R runs great on the deck because the PC port when it was on EGS wasn’t in the greatest shape and afaik wasn’t really fixed.

Why do you think it was on EGS lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have 62 games installed on my Steam Dreck. I like the Steam Dreck.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

- Set up the right thumbstick with the style of input as "directional pad"

- On the Up direction icon, hit A to pull up the binding dialog

- Hit the left option button to bring up the Activator dialog

- Set the first Activation Type to Long Press, set Binding to scroll up, Turbo on, Haptics to Low or None (probably, as desired)

- Hit Add Activator

- For the second activator set the Activation Type to Regular Press, binding to Up Arrow

- Repeat all of the above for scrolling down/down arrow

- Tweak the "Long Press Time" to taste on both- the shorter the bar, the quicker you'll need to be on press-and-release for the arrow keys to be recognized

- Tweak the turbo repeat rate for "how fast you want the scroll to scroll"
Just going to save this for when I have my Deck in my hands, sounds useful.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

I have 62 games installed on my Steam Dreck. I like the Steam Dreck.

You are like little babby.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Commander Keene posted:

Just going to save this for when I have my Deck in my hands, sounds useful.

Be sure to change the stick from regular press to start press so that it scrolls when the stick is pulled instead of when it returns to the center.

trust me on this

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got my email today

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Ocarina of Time PC port "Ship of Harkinian" has a Linux build. It's a real good port with a lot of togglable features. 60fps any resolution and boots on C buttons just to start.
https://github.com/HarbourMasters/Shipwright/blob/develop/BUILDING.md

Jak & Daxter's PC port also has a Linux build. They are still squashing some bugs, but the game is 100%able. There are Arch Linux instructions so I assume it's Deck compatible.
https://github.com/open-goal/jak-project

There are many Mario 64 port projects, curious which would be a best fit for Deck.

As for why native ports are exciting when emulation exists - it takes a fraction of the computation and battery power.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 17, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dramicus posted:

You are like little babby.

God drat son, that owns. I only have 33 games installed but I have 108 Non-Steam titles, all ROMs and poo poo, so we're even.

Also, I tried out MSFS2020 on the Deck and man, it's not a good time. I mean, it's really not meant for something like this but it just looks like total poo poo, the UI doesn't really like the Deck's resolution. It also gobbled up so much space I can't even download all of the free content updates in the In-Game Store, lmao. Oh well, was a fun test if anything.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
My deck just arrived yesterday and it's pretty great. Thanks for reading my post.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The new update for the Resident Evil 2 remake really hurt performance on Deck. Enough people complained that the old version is now available on a beta channel.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/883710/view/3344500154867780165

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

The new update for the Resident Evil 2 remake really hurt performance on Deck. Enough people complained that the old version is now available on a beta channel.

oh dang also doubled the size from 25 gb to 50 gb

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
TMNT Shredder's Revenge works great on the deck, fyi.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Holy poo poo FF14 runs perfectly, even through XIVLauncher.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Anyone tried FFVII yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmu4ra0f1I
There's this video, but it's at 30 and the dude doesn't touch settings an I'm really curious if 40 FPS is achievable.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

jokes posted:

Holy poo poo FF14 runs perfectly, even through XIVLauncher.
I haven't gotten XIVLauncher to work correctly, but I'm getting annoyed with the login process with normal login so I might spend time this weekend with it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I didn’t have any problems, did a LLDR and had no issues. Did you install the Steam Deck specific version of XIVLauncher?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

jokes posted:

I didn’t have any problems, did a LLDR and had no issues. Did you install the Steam Deck specific version of XIVLauncher?

Yeah, followed the website instructions too. Which version of Protron you launching it with? I had errors that it couldn't find the install each time. I'm sqex launcher generally vs normal steam which might be part of my fun

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
xivlauncher for deck is a native linux app, don't use proton to launch it

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

minusX posted:

Yeah, followed the website instructions too. Which version of Protron you launching it with? I had errors that it couldn't find the install each time. I'm sqex launcher generally vs normal steam which might be part of my fun

Uninstall it, reinstall it, remove it, readd it, and then don't set any compatibility things. It's a native Linux app, so you don't need any compatibility layers, and putting them on causes it to break: I went through the same thing, and the aforementioned fixed it right up.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Everything is updated to the most recent stable version, but it’s a native Linux app image so it shouldn’t be run through Proton.

Maybe the launch option stuff was pasted weird?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone having issues with the system time? I have my set to get the time automatically AND I have my right time zone (New York / EST) yet it currently shows the time being at 5:35 am (it’s 9:35)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

You're phrasing this like it was a problem exclusively for the Steam Deck, but Capcom unilaterally increased the system requirements for a released game rendering it unplayable for a subset of the game's owners which is really hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Thanks y'all, it's working but now it's trying to reinstall the whole game instead of just using my existing install. I'll work at that later but this is great progress