Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also got Ryu Ando as a co-director, who I've been told did really good work on 86.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also got Ryu Ando as a co-director, who I've been told did really good work on 86.

That series does have a lot of visually interesting directorial gimmicks, yes. Pretty nice potential.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

"____ but in a school" is so cliche anime it makes me nervous, but it doesn't look too bad at first glance.

I'll take having Gundam named designs that don't look like they're Gundams any day, but I really wish they'd leave the tricolor scheme for the protagonists one behind already.

Are the mecha designers listed anywhere yet? The Dilanza has to be a Gyobu joint. The lines on the Michaelis say Ebikawa to me.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 17, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"____ but in a school" is so cliche anime it makes me nervous, but it doesn't look too bad at first glance.

I'll take having Gundam named designs that don't look like they're Gundams any day, but I really wish they'd leave the tricolor scheme for the protagonists one behind already.

Are the mecha designers listed anywhere yet? The Dilanza has to be a Gyobu joint. The lines on the Michaelis say Ebikawa to me.

The staff list is on the website.

MECHANICAL DESIGN

JNTHED
KANETAKE EBIKAWA
WATARU INATA
IPPEI GYOBU
KENJI TERAOKA
TAKAYUKI YANASE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

JNTHED did the Aerial, and he's worked on almost every Metal Gear game after Solid.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thanks now I'm imagining a Gundam designed by Shinkawa and I'm sad it hasn't happened yet.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
"This witch... rides a Gundam" is dope.

I've liked the Aerial Gundams design since we first saw it and I'm pretty certain that shield transforms into wings or something. And the colony looks to be a toroid type.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

ManSedan posted:

"This witch... rides a Gundam" is dope.

I've liked the Aerial Gundams design since we first saw it and I'm pretty certain that shield transforms into wings or something. And the colony looks to be a toroid type.

Is the guy who did the Gundam Wing Toonami trailers still alive? Is he on Cameo?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Optimus Prime is still alive, yes. Despite every death he's had pointing to the contrary.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

this guy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A glimpse inside the cockpit

https://twitter.com/G_Witch_M/status/1537674948621529088?s=20&t=-1-LiEKApYjvOxiCW2A5-Q

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Tomino has made a fair amount of crap but some posters here blindly worship him.

Unicorn is good outside the last episode, IBO is the best main Gundam series since Turn A.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm not really feeling the Aerial Gundam as a good protagonist MS. I'm sure it'll have something cool with the teased glowing red bits once we get to see it in the show, but just at an initial glance it's a little too "generic" for an RX-78-02 derivative for me, if that makes sense?

I think I'm just spoiled after the Exia and Barbatos Gundams.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RevolverDivider posted:

Tomino has made a fair amount of crap but some posters here blindly worship him.

Unicorn is good outside the last episode, IBO is the best main Gundam series since Turn A.

I assure you my worship is anything but blind!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

???
People pretty freely criticize everything Tomino does here.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

his crap is simply better than most

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

his crap is simply better than most

I mean jokes aside most of Tomino's awful stuff is at least unusual or weird rather than plain awful. It is still bad but at least in a 'what the gently caress' way instead of like AGE tier 'boring as poo poo'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On one hand you've got Quattro being a Char and the duty of humanity to protect the Earth and on the other hand you've got Reccoa and the way Char feels about Nanai's vagina.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean jokes aside most of Tomino's awful stuff is at least unusual or weird rather than plain awful. It is still bad but at least in a 'what the gently caress' way instead of like AGE tier 'boring as poo poo'

i thought about making a more serious post along those lines but at this point just consider my enjoyment of victory, brain powerd etc irreconcilable differences for the thread lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, now I really wanna know who's doing the OP for G-Witch. Hearing Ado's new song for the One Piece movie really makes me think she could do a great one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I unironically love Garzey's Wing. It is an incredible trashfire but it is peak Tomino weirdness for the sake of weird.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

If the series doesn't have Suletta piloting her Gundam on the way to school, while the Gundam chews on a giant piece of toast, and then crashing into the CHAR of the show then I'd be very disappointed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

amigolupus posted:

If the series doesn't have Suletta piloting her Gundam on the way to school, while the Gundam chews on a giant piece of toast, and then crashing into the CHAR of the show then I'd be very disappointed.

I'd settle for cutting a giant pizza like in Code Geas.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's actually cool that the summary mentions that corporations are the ones in charge in space, which is unique in Gundam. There's always so much focus on governments in gundam that actually having businesses running poo poo would be cool and depressingly more realistic.

Here's hoping for "SPACE COMMUNISM NOW" the series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wdarkk posted:

I'd settle for cutting a giant pizza like in Code Geas.

Gundam: brought to you by Pizza Hut.

As far as class warfrare goes, IBO has the beginnings of a social revolution during the Dort Colony uprising but by Season 2 it had settled back into PMC warfare and political factions.

A corporate war would be sick. Bring out the Zaku to use a Union Buster Bazooka.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Do you have to come to piloting school with your own Mobile Suit? I have a lot of questions about that, especially since every kid so far also comes with a different backing company.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Do you have to come to piloting school with your own Mobile Suit? I have a lot of questions about that, especially since every kid so far also comes with a different backing company.

They're all from different branches of the same company, so I figure their patron subsidiaries use the school for testing and competition of new weaponry, with the kids working as test pilots in addition to being raised as corporate royalty.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Judging from just one episode, Victory Gundam is cool and good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

War and Pieces posted:

Judging from just one episode, Victory Gundam is cool and good

correct

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Victory is worse then Age.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The impulse gundam is really cool but it's so funny that there's no reason for it to combine and there must be so much money they lose just from launching with the backpack booster thing and shinn throwing away missiles

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

muike posted:

The impulse gundam is really cool but it's so funny that there's no reason for it to combine and there must be so much money they lose just from launching with the backpack booster thing and shinn throwing away missiles

There's literally no reason for it to launch uncombined except in very, very specific circumstances(like the canyon run Shinn did that one time), yeah. The modular parts that can be hot-swapped mid-combat are incredibly cool and good.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb

amigolupus posted:

Like so?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I guess making it a combiner would allow a more compact launch system? Not that the Minerva has that problem.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Gundam: brought to you by Pizza Hut.

As far as class warfrare goes, IBO has the beginnings of a social revolution during the Dort Colony uprising but by Season 2 it had settled back into PMC warfare and political factions.

A corporate war would be sick. Bring out the Zaku to use a Union Buster Bazooka.

Dort was pretty much corporate power plays itself. It was all being sponsored by Nobliss to create an environment where his company could move more weapons, creating endless brushfire wars where he could sell to both sides and feign ignorance after.

From interviews, the basis for IBO's setting was basically solar-system wide yakuza conflicts, which is halfway between corporate wars and mob wars. This going full corporate conflicts would be a step further, but nothing unprecedented.

Of course, I'm curious how wartorn the setting is going to be. Is this a UC style thing with major war going on during the series, a 00 style setting with frequent conflicts that don't hit most people most of the time, or a PD style "No wars, things still suck".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

The Impulse being a combiner is actually fairly sensible for the role it is supposed to have. As long as it has carrier support it can functional basically forever without breaking any treaties and as long as your pilot can avoid getting cockpit shot you can just keep coming back from the fight. EU stuff also points towards different leg/body configurations for different environments as well.

Darth Walrus posted:

I guess making it a combiner would allow a more compact launch system? Not that the Minerva has that problem.

The Minerva isn't necessarily a full-fledged carrier. Like the Archangel it was supposed to be a self-sufficient ship designed specifically to support specialized mobile suits. It can carry up to 11 suits but that's at max capacity and in theory it was supposed to have a team of about 4. (The stolen Gundams + Impulse). Short of having to resupply a "Shin fights Kira" amount of times it can effectively keep 4 top-grade MS on the battlefield far longer than anything else that isn't nuclear.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Impulse being a combiner is actually fairly sensible for the role it is supposed to have. As long as it has carrier support it can functional basically forever without breaking any treaties and as long as your pilot can avoid getting cockpit shot you can just keep coming back from the fight. EU stuff also points towards different leg/body configurations for different environments as well.

Even then, you'd be better off with Strike style striker packs. You'd be at basic levels of functionality as long as the battery holds out, instead of having to risk losing your legs and arms at any time. Ignoring the possibility of wireless power from the main ship (because SEED's techbase is incoherent) you'd still get the same flexibility and refueling, but with less space used up on the transport, and less money spent on the one prototype. (Bonus: You'd be able to use the packs with the ZAKUs.)

As for the "unless you get cockpit shot", if MS couldn't tag fighters, then fighters would be the dominant force on the battlefield. Generally, getting stuck in a core fighter is a sign to bail or die, not some leap to invincibility.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Core Fighters were basically just escape pods in the original series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Even then, you'd be better off with Strike style striker packs. You'd be at basic levels of functionality as long as the battery holds out, instead of having to risk losing your legs and arms at any time. Ignoring the possibility of wireless power from the main ship (because SEED's techbase is incoherent) you'd still get the same flexibility and refueling, but with less space used up on the transport, and less money spent on the one prototype. (Bonus: You'd be able to use the packs with the ZAKUs.)

As for the "unless you get cockpit shot", if MS couldn't tag fighters, then fighters would be the dominant force on the battlefield. Generally, getting stuck in a core fighter is a sign to bail or die, not some leap to invincibility.

The entire point of the Gundams is that they were specifically designed for ace pilots who can take advantage of them, not for the average pilot. The average dude isn't going to make full use out of it but that also isn't the intended purpose. SEED has made it blunt enough that extremely skilled pilots can make do with fighters (Ed the Ripper got his name from a fighter jet kill and Mu spends the bulk of the series in a tricked-out jet) and in the Impulse's case it is just necessary to back off enough to get a resupply in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Space planes were plenty effective in the shows where main characters use them.