Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Codependent Poster posted:

If they follow the comics for Bruno, he ends up going to ___________Wakanda____________ to study, which I think would be even better.

That whole arc is great, especially the Wakandans looking down on him and his scientific achievements with pity since he's from a less technologically developed nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Is there a reason why he's going to Caltech instead of MIT like every other smart person in the MCU? Or is it just because it's not in driving distance of Jersey City?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bribery, actually.

Disney is in the pocket of Big CalTech

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Is there a reason why he's going to Caltech instead of MIT like every other smart person in the MCU? Or is it just because it's not in driving distance of Jersey City?
With due respect to all the great tech schools outside the NE Corridor, CalTech is both the only one casual audiences might know (thanks Real Genius) and its name is literally a portmaneau of "California" + "Technology" making it hit a sweet spot as shorthand for "Not close to New Jersey + that's why the character wants to study there."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Wow, when a show is good we have nothing to talk about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

I like how the show is respectful of Islam, but also points out it has lovely aspects to it as well. Also it shows the diversity of it, you see a good variety of backgrounds, not everyone is Pakistani, but you see African muslims and some that are probably Persian/Iranian? I think Nakia's talk about being too white for some people but too ethnic for others may have set some people off because i certainly heard people saying they completely ruined her character. I figure she's just saying that one of her parents is ethnically muslim and the other is white, and she takes more after that white parent, but she identifies with her islamic culture more.

The showrunner is a British Pakistani and the producer/director group is almost entirely Moroccan, Pakistani, or Indian. Everybody making this is very aware of what they're doing and calling out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, fun thing I learned: the actor playing Kamala's dad is the Hindi dub voice for Dr. Strange.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, fun thing I learned: the actor playing Kamala's dad is the Hindi dub voice for Dr. Strange.

Big Hulk is truly awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

The showrunner is a British Pakistani and the producer/director group is almost entirely Moroccan, Pakistani, or Indian. Everybody making this is very aware of what they're doing and calling out.

Yea, so i don't really get some of the criticism I've seen of it being "made for white people" and "watered down the themes of the comics" and "not trying to scare the non Muslims". I bet if i looked into it all of those criticisms come from people just trying to get some hate clicks on the new cool thing everyone loves.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Ms Marvel is my favorite superhero and is the reason I got back into reading superhero comics again for a while (I got bored of it again after constant dumb events) and I'm really happy this show is so good. I was worried and was honestly expecting it to be just okay at best but I'm so pleased with Iman Vellani and all the side characters are great.

I get giddy whenever I watch this show, her energy is so infectious!

Edit: Also does anyone have recommendations for Bollywood stuff I should watch if I'm interested in that whole scene? Does Cinema Discussion have a thread for this?

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 17, 2022

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The cops feel very weird tonally compared to the rest of the show to me. Like in this show where the main character made a zany scheme to sneak out of home to go cosplaying I am suddenly terrified this child is about to be loving murdered or sent to Super Guantanamo Bay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah they are coming off as cartoon villains

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ya where's NYPD Sgt. Friendly in this show about a bunch of brown folk lmao

But really the omission is weird, Disney is normally wise to include a lady poc cop so that you're reminded how progressive policing is

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Needs an edit with their guns replaced by walkie-talkies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cartoon villains would be a breath of fresh air in the MCU over "if you don't stop this threat, the city/world/galaxy/multiverse is DOOMED!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FlamingLiberal posted:

So like cops, you mean :hmmyes:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

They weren't any better in No Way Home. Matt Murdock got the whole case against Peter and his friends easily thrown out. It seems to be an intentional character thing that the two agents we've spent time with hate superhumans and are really bad at their jobs because they keep engaging in scummy and legally dubious methods that aren't very successful. They try to pull a good cop/bad cop routine on Zoe but the "good cop" shifts his demeanor so aggressively after buttering her up that it just scares her and the "bad cop" opens her interrogation with random racism against someone not even in the room.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

chitoryu12 posted:

They weren't any better in No Way Home. Matt Murdock got the whole case against Peter and his friends easily thrown out. It seems to be an intentional character thing that the two agents we've spent time with hate superhumans and are really bad at their jobs because they keep engaging in scummy and legally dubious methods that aren't very successful. They try to pull a good cop/bad cop routine on Zoe but the "good cop" shifts his demeanor so aggressively after buttering her up that it just scares her and the "bad cop" opens her interrogation with random racism against someone not even in the room.
For NWH, they probably didn’t have enough actual evidence to hold Peter and figured it wasn’t worth pursuing. From what I remember about Far From Home, all they would really have on Peter would be Mysterio’s video.

Also I can’t remember…does Peter get detained by the NYPD or FBI? Because neither would have immediate jurisdiction for a death that occurred in the UK.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Viridiant posted:

Ms Marvel is my favorite superhero and is the reason I got back into reading superhero comics again for a while (I got bored of it again after constant dumb events) and I'm really happy this show is so good. I was worried and was honestly expecting it to be just okay at best but I'm so pleased with Iman Vellani and all the side characters are great.

I get giddy whenever I watch this show, her energy is so infectious!

Edit: Also does anyone have recommendations for Bollywood stuff I should watch if I'm interested in that whole scene? Does Cinema Discussion have a thread for this?

RRR is up on netflix is unironically amazing

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm kind of looking forward to the Damage Control folks eating a legal bitch-slap from Jennifer Walters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

For NWH, they probably didn’t have enough actual evidence to hold Peter and figured it wasn’t worth pursuing. From what I remember about Far From Home, all they would really have on Peter would be Mysterio’s video.

Also I can’t remember…does Peter get detained by the NYPD or FBI? Because neither would have immediate jurisdiction for a death that occurred in the UK.

I think he just gets detained by Damage Control, which is also federal. Ned is the only one dumb enough to get manipulated into admitting something, but the entire case and how they went about interrogating minors was so legally questionable that it was a complete wash once a good lawyer was involved. After everything that happened with the Sokovia Accords and the Blip, I'd imagine there's new legal standards for superpowered vigilantes that someone like Matt Murdock and Foggy Nelson know very well.

Also, I've been finally watching Daredevil with Natalie Gold's commentary each week. Goddamn, I love these characters.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully they keep Arian Moayed around to be a banal human villain once the X-Men show up because I love his fake friend/soulsucking demon schtick

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

The cops feel very weird tonally compared to the rest of the show to me. Like in this show where the main character made a zany scheme to sneak out of home to go cosplaying I am suddenly terrified this child is about to be loving murdered or sent to Super Guantanamo Bay.

like are you genuinely scared that kamala khan is going to be gunned down or deported? cops should be threatening, since they are, especially to the community being depicted in the show but there's no real sense of danger here

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

double negative posted:

like are you genuinely scared that kamala khan is going to be gunned down or deported? cops should be threatening, since they are, especially to the community being depicted in the show but there's no real sense of danger here

The cops were going extremely hard interrogating a child who didn't know what was happening and being overtly racist. Then when a different child (who is not white) is alone in a dark alley she is pursued by multiple drones, black vans surround her and dudes with guns are trying to detain her. I haven't seen Spider-Man(?) but I don't think these guys are going to give Kamala a warning and a $50 fine for illegally saving a kid's life.

To be clear I don't think she will be murdered or sent to a black site but that's 100% what those cops seem to be trying to do.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pwnstar posted:

The cops were going extremely hard interrogating a child who didn't know what was happening and being overtly racist. Then when a different child (who is not white) is alone in a dark alley she is pursued by multiple drones, black vans surround her and dudes with guns are trying to detain her. I haven't seen Spider-Man(?) but I don't think these guys are going to give Kamala a warning and a $50 fine for illegally saving a kid's life.

To be clear I don't think she will be murdered or sent to a black site but that's 100% what those cops seem to be trying to do.

Yep, they were. That said, they weren't going after Kamala for "illegally saving a kid's life" so much as for wrecking a good portion of Avengercon and injuring/scaring the poo poo out of people there. Yes, Kamala is a child (although the age of consent in New Jersey is 16, like the apparent majority of US states which is deeply hosed up but I digress) but she's a child with an at will cannon/gun. So there's going to be some level of cop/authority response to that. Though that response was poorly considered and also racist.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Pwnstar posted:

i didn’t think they went especially hard on zoe (not even an implied threat, just tricking her into offering up information), but i think their general threatening/racist posture is about right for the type of show, especially since they also touched on mosque surveillance.

it’s pretty in-line with how he was depicted in no way home. lol at the latinx line though, that was kinda goofy

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

double negative posted:

but i think their general threatening/racist posture is about right for the type of show, especially since they also touched on mosque surveillance
I wasn't clear how they jumped so quickly from "did you get a look at her? what race do you think she was?" to "RAID ALL THE MOSQUES" but it's hardly outside the realm of possibility.

seems more like a 2002 attitude than a 2022 one though

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

double negative posted:

i didn’t think they went especially hard on zoe (not even an implied threat, just tricking her into offering up information), but i think their general threatening/racist posture is about right for the type of show, especially since they also touched on mosque surveillance.

it’s pretty in-line with how he was depicted in no way home. lol at the latinx line though, that was kinda goofy

I can sort of get the latinx line. I'm a not quite 54 year old straight white cisgender male. A lot of these terms are new to me. It feels weird calling someone like Ezra Miller "they/them." I recently had a course at my job talking about using the right pronouns for people - which was something I hadn't really thought about before. And I get it. I apparently have a weirdly feminine voice over the speakers at McDonald's because I get called "Ma'am" a lot and it's annoying (and I will occasionally retaliate in kind: "Thank you, sir.")

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The thing with Zoe was mainly that they could have easily approached her in public, lied and just said they needed to get in contact with the other Captain Marvel for whatever thing she might believe. Instead took her to a creepy interrogation room without a parent or lawyer and purposely hosed with her I'm assuming just to make themselves feel big.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

I wasn't clear how they jumped so quickly from "did you get a look at her? what race do you think she was?" to "RAID ALL THE MOSQUES" but it's hardly outside the realm of possibility.

seems more like a 2002 attitude than a 2022 one though

lol do you not understand how that was a bluff to scare zoe? Did you actually watch that scene? The whole thing was intimidation tactics to get zoe to admit that she knew who Ms Marvel was or to implicate herself. Yeah they're actually portraying cops pretty accurately, they don't give a poo poo, they just want someone to pin the crime onto so their stats look good.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Everyone posted:

Yes, Kamala is a child (although the age of consent in New Jersey is 16, like the apparent majority of US states which is deeply hosed up but I digress)

you literally did not need to post this

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pwnstar posted:

The thing with Zoe was mainly that they could have easily approached her in public, lied and just said they needed to get in contact with the other Captain Marvel for whatever thing she might believe. Instead took her to a creepy interrogation room without a parent or lawyer and purposely hosed with her I'm assuming just to make themselves feel big.

Yeah, with Peter and friends and now Zoe and Kamala, they do seem to be less the Department of Damage Control than the Department of Damaging/Controlling Children.

kazil posted:

you literally did not need to post this

I know. Part of was "We're calling Kamala a child but it's not like she's eight or something." The larger part was that the age thing still kind of blows my mind. I'd been thinking it was mostly 18 with a few 17s, but no. It's like 30 states are 16. Which... Jesus gently caress what's wrong with those places?

Everyone fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 17, 2022

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like what is even supposed to be being argued here? Are folks upset that Damage Control aren't good guys? I'm honestly confused.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Soonmot posted:

like what is even supposed to be being argued here? Are folks upset that Damage Control aren't good guys? I'm honestly confused.

It turns out the show being good means the thread has to be bad, the balance must be maintained

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Soonmot posted:

Did you actually watch that scene?
yes, that's why I'm here on the internet talking about it. don't be mean.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Soonmot posted:

This is what's confused me as well.

Ms. Marvel is a show about an immigrant Muslim family from the Middle East, and people are surprised and upset that the cops are antagonistic towards the main characters?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The point I originally brought up was that the cop stuff is way more Real poo poo than the zany low stakes dramas that the show is currently dealing with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pwnstar posted:

The point I originally brought up was that the cop stuff is way more Real poo poo than the zany low stakes dramas that the show is currently dealing with.

She's a member of ethnic and religious minorities that get profiled and hassled by the cops, a lot.

It might be more Real poo poo, but it's Real poo poo that Muslim and immigrant teenagers have to deal with in real life with disturbing frequency.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Pwnstar posted:

There's a different version of this show about Kamala Khan, dorky Muslim girl of Pakistani heritage who wishes she were a superhero like her idol, Captain Marvel. It would be a goofy, slice-of-life sitcom.

But this isn't that show. In this show, Kamala is in the MCU and actually gets superpowers so poo poo gets a little more real and stakes get a little higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

the show is also touching on, among other things, the generational trauma of the partition of india so it’s not as though this is the only moment of semi-seriousness/realness