Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I'm guessing it will happen. They def had the set up by saying the guy she wanted for VP is far right/super religious. He will stab Ellen in the back and out her. Then slash NASA funding (possibly after the lose the Mars race to Ed's fart ship), creating a set back season.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Space dicks out for harambee.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

Man, gently caress Molly. She was way out of line and the reason you have committees is to prevent stupid poo poo like “the old geezers club” from forming or deciding that it’s a great idea to turn the first mission to Mars into a two year “take your daughter to work day”. poo poo is too serious now for cowboys and loose cannons.

She couldn’t loving wait a few days to talk to Margo about what was going on, no, she “knew” better and she reaped what she sowed.

Counter-point: Margo is a Nazi's apprentice who is, at the very least, compromised by the KGB (or their timeline equivalent) :colbert:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, still waiting for that shoe to drop where she gets outed.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Karen's property game continues to rise. Last season she sold a bar. This season she's sold a space hotel. She'll probably sell a planet next season.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Has there been any mention of what Wayne is up to that I missed? Are he and Molly still together?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I hate Kenyon Elon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No way does the utopian space flight collective work out in the long run.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

withak posted:

No way does the utopian space flight collective work out in the long run.

This motherfucker called it a "free enterprise zone" lol It's specesteading.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

stuart scott posted:

Has there been any mention of what Wayne is up to that I missed? Are he and Molly still together?

His absence is very pointed, two episodes in.

mcmagic posted:

I hate Kenyon Elon.

I'm pretty sure we're meant to. He's written like a finely-pureed slurry of all techbros. My wife has worked in Silicon Valley for twenty years, and predicted nearly every line of his dialogue he said. While wincing.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hmm...

GO :ussr:!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Negostrike posted:

Hmm...

GO :ussr:!

*nods in cspam*

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

stuart scott posted:

I think he shows up, would be pretty lovely of the show to lay that groundwork that Molly actually gave a poo poo about their relationship last season and showing them reconcile only for them to boot him in-between seasons.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Cojawfee posted:

I love that Molly has a service dog that is completely useless aside from growling at people she doesn't like.

Molly Cobb's dog Ollie Cobb the Doggy-dog

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Wow ed sucks even more rear end than usual

Hope he dies

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, still waiting for that shoe to drop where she gets outed.

"Let me be straight with you" the VP candidate said to the closeted lesbian on the top of the ticket.

On the other hand, the ERA passed and a Republican woman has just taken the top spot for the presidency. We're approaching the time of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which was a push forward for LGBTQ protection, more than the previous "We'll find out and then throw you out" policy the military had. Ellen's an astronaut hero and, possibly, president. Could be that she gets outed and overcomes it, doesn't get impeached. Bill Clinton wasn't, as far as rough parallel timelines go.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Madurai posted:

I'm pretty sure we're meant to. He's written like a finely-pureed slurry of all techbros. My wife has worked in Silicon Valley for twenty years, and predicted nearly every line of his dialogue he said. While wincing.

Yeah, he's all but an archetype after the last few years, in which we've had:

- The Mitchells vs. the Machines
- Don't Look Up
- Silicon Valley
- WeCrashed
- The Expanse
- even the fuggin MLP movie

And that's just off the top of my head, all focused on these charismatic utopian techbro types. If he ends up NOT being a pure mustache-twirling villain it'll be some kind of huge subversion at this point.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, he's all but an archetype after the last few years, in which we've had:

- The Mitchells vs. the Machines
- Don't Look Up
- Silicon Valley
- WeCrashed
- The Expanse
- even the fuggin MLP movie

And that's just off the top of my head, all focused on these charismatic utopian techbro types. If he ends up NOT being a pure mustache-twirling villain it'll be some kind of huge subversion at this point.

I also hope he dies

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Kloaked00 posted:

In case anyone wants to watch the episode that Dani's family was when she got the call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkB2X3lbnGc

This counts as a goon appearance on the show, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Wheeljack posted:

"Let me be straight with you" the VP candidate said to the closeted lesbian on the top of the ticket.

On the other hand, the ERA passed and a Republican woman has just taken the top spot for the presidency. We're approaching the time of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which was a push forward for LGBTQ protection, more than the previous "We'll find out and then throw you out" policy the military had. Ellen's an astronaut hero and, possibly, president. Could be that she gets outed and overcomes it, doesn't get impeached. Bill Clinton wasn't, as far as rough parallel timelines go.

My post was about Margo being outed as a spy, but this is a good line of thinking too. I don't think they could really impeach her for being gay. She is in a straight "relationship" and has a child. If she is outed as gay, the worst they can do is just not vote for her in the next primary. While people being outed against their will sucks, it would be an interesting plot. You end up with a big infight in the party, where the far right run a bigot candidate (probably trumpian/maga) in the primary to try to get rid of her. Maybe her VP runs against her too. The Log Cabin Republicans have been around since the 70s and apparently did some stuff in the 90s, so maybe they will come into play.

I guess they could just have everyone resign from her administration to try to force her resign, but even Trump was able to find enough dipshits to run things in his last days when everyone else was jumping ship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think her getting outed is going to happen, that's too clear a story to pass up. I can see the results going either way though. This is supposed to be a hopeful show in the end, it backfiring and helping to advance gay rights more and faster than the real world seems entirely possible.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

If there's one thing the fans seemed to love it was Danny and Karen, lets really crank it up this season!

The three-way race to Mars could be intriguing, especially if they pit characters the audience cares about on opposite teams. Nah, let's make Ed racist instead and team him up with a billionaire against a NASA team run by KGB agent Margo and fan-favorite Danny.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Personally, I can't wait for the radio chatter between Ed and Danny while in the transfer to Mars orbit. Ed starts saying racist poo poo for no loving reason, and Danny just hops on the radio and says "Ed, I hosed your ex wife" every few hours.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

If there's one thing the fans seemed to love it was Danny and Karen, lets really crank it up this season!

The three-way race to Mars could be intriguing, especially if they pit characters the audience cares about on opposite teams. Nah, let's make Ed racist instead and team him up with a billionaire against a NASA team run by KGB agent Margo and fan-favorite Danny.

Yeah they really didn't need to mention the Karen Danny thing ever again and no one would've been upset about it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cojawfee posted:

My post was about Margo being outed as a spy, but this is a good line of thinking too. I don't think they could really impeach her for being gay. She is in a straight "relationship" and has a child. If she is outed as gay, the worst they can do is just not vote for her in the next primary. While people being outed against their will sucks, it would be an interesting plot. You end up with a big infight in the party, where the far right run a bigot candidate (probably trumpian/maga) in the primary to try to get rid of her. Maybe her VP runs against her too. The Log Cabin Republicans have been around since the 70s and apparently did some stuff in the 90s, so maybe they will come into play.

I guess they could just have everyone resign from her administration to try to force her resign, but even Trump was able to find enough dipshits to run things in his last days when everyone else was jumping ship.

They won’t impeach her for being gay, but it will lead to a situation where she lies under oath like Clinton and gets impeached for that.

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018
I don't think Margo has too much of a leg to stand on here.

To start with, even if Danielle is the better choice (she is), the whole affair is clearly about her own power, not about which Astronaut is the better commander. To start with, without any consultation Margo is restructuring the entire way that the personnel program is managed, explicitly cutting out the subject matter experts. Beyond that, does anyone here really think that Margo would ever accept the committee's recommendations if they went against what she wanted? It is clearly just there to launder her own directions.

Plus everything that she (in show) and people saying she is in the right (out of the show) call out is something she herself has done in the past.

-Nepotism - Getting her kid friend a job without any interview, vetting or selection process.
-Breaking chain of command - blackmailing the administrator of NASA to get a promotion
-Acting rashly - Firing the head of the astronaut office with zero notice
-Betraying NASA - Serving as a literal Soviet spy

I think there is a real interesting tension here with Margo as someone who has gotten as high as she has through a combination of undeniable raw skill and political ruthlessness BUT fails to understand that this does not make her an expert in every field - in particular actually operating in space and personnel management. As in this whole affair was a massive own goal that could have been easily avoided with the most basic of effective communication skills.

(That being said, Helios will absolutely turn out to be a villain, Ed needs to apologise and Danielle remains the only upstanding main character)

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

All of that is true, so the big stink could be that she's having an affair outside of marriage, and with another woman to boot. (The Democrats might be sore about Ted Kennedy, or Clinton might project/want revenge if his campaign got sunk by his infidelities). I have a feeling she'll win the election and it'll come out during the Mars mission, or at some critical point for it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Space_Wizard posted:

I don't think Margo has too much of a leg to stand on here. :words:

Margo chat My post about her being a Nazi's apprentice was light-hearted, but let's look at her actions. She actually absorbed everything Wernher taught her: ambition, black-mail, egotistic accumulation of personal power. She may or may not have been genuinely upset about the slave labour camps in his past, but she certainly left her feelings on the way-side when it came to career guidance. Margo is a sort of sympathetic character, sure, she's an oddball survivor in a hostile world, and she played a (sort of) peaceful foil to the general in season 2, but at the same time she wasn't all that horrified at what the military-industrial complex was doing, just that it interfered with her own precious space launches. Even if she didn't realize she was used as a KGB asset, which come on, she's supposed to be smart, even her deliberate actions are morally dubious.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Margo is a space girlboss. We haven't seen much gaslighting and no gatekeeping but it's only a matter of time

Who has also been at nasa since the 60s

All the S1 characters should be retired but wygd you got all the big names in S1

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I'm all in on team Ed and the open floor plan non hierarchical space millennials*

*who aren't actual millennials

Does Margo's astronaut selection committee even exist? I bet it doesn't.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really loving weird that Danny is lusting after a woman in her 60s.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I think they haven’t aged up the characters from the first season enough. I keep forgetting that they’re supposed to be in their late 50’s.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I figured it was mid-50s but what do I know

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

tokin opposition posted:

All the S1 characters should be retired but wygd you got all the big names in S1
I low-key hated this episode and am worried how much more of this season is going to be long long long oh my god long scenes of Ed and Karen and any one else who's a hundred years old complaining about how the only way they could be happy is to go to mars

Any arguments about whether Margo or Molly were right are undermined by Margo choosing her 60 year old friend to go on an exhausting space trip because of his affinity with entry level space joysticks. If there's been this much progress in the 30 year timeframe we're seeing, there should be maybe ten thousand people you could pick to go on the trip that aren't Ed Baldwin.

I'm sure they'll pull it off by the end of the season but so far nothing in the show has changed my impression that traveling to mars would really suck poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought through it and Ed is, at absolute minimum, 57. He flew in the Korean War, so let's say he was only there for 1953 and that he was a pilot at 18. Which isn't possible but for the sake of argument. That puts him born in 1935, so 57 in 1992. Realistically we're talking early 60s at the youngest since being a combat pilot means he's been in for a few years at least. 65-ish is about right. Odds are Karen is younger than Ed but probably still 60.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

I figured it was mid-50s but what do I know

I guess it's possible that she's mid 50s if she's younger than Ed. But I assume that Ed is around the same age as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, who were both born in 1930. That would make Ed in his early 60s now, and I think he said that if he didn't get the first Mars mission, he'd be pushing 70 by the time another one rolled around. When you look at how old they are supposed to be, and not just how they look in the show, you realize how ridiculous it is that Ed is still going into space at all, much less considering future missions to Mars.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There has actually been NASA discussion about sending old astronauts on a Mars mission since the radiation would be less of a problem. Both because there is some evidence older people aren't as affected by it, and because if you're in your 60s the increased cancer risk/fertility issues aren't such a big deal.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Yea it's actually much better for 60ish year-olds to go to space for extended lengths of time because of the radiation exposure.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought through it and Ed is, at absolute minimum, 57. He flew in the Korean War, so let's say he was only there for 1953 and that he was a pilot at 18. Which isn't possible but for the sake of argument. That puts him born in 1935, so 57 in 1992. Realistically we're talking early 60s at the youngest since being a combat pilot means he's been in for a few years at least. 65-ish is about right. Odds are Karen is younger than Ed but probably still 60.

the wiki says he was born 1932, so literally 60

you'd think sometime in the last three decades he'd stop crashing cars and driving drunk but he's silent generation. wish he'd shut the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Yea it's actually much better for 60ish year-olds to go to space for extended lengths of time because of the radiation exposure.

nasa isn't returning your calls, grandpa