Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't really get the Torts hire. I like Torts, but what is the Flyers goal here? They're in rebuild mode, and Torts doesn't strike me as a rebuild coach.

Then again being it's the Flyers and they *hate* rebuilding with a fiery passion I'm guessing they think they can somehow make a contender out of that roster. I think they'll be sorely disappointed if that's what they're thinking.

According to Fletcher what they're lacking is gumption apparently and not you know three top line forwards, a top defensive pairing, and most of their bottom six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

dogshit loser franchise, I hate them

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it feels inevitable that Torts will drag them to a wildcard or even just not bottom 6-8 in the league and completely gently caress up their pick

Kale
May 14, 2010

Flyers get the most hilarious coaching picks bar none.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

So the external group they hired to find a coach shortlisted two of the most experienced coaches in history who have a reputation for alienating their players? Really thinking outside the box

The Flyers have bad players. Alienating them is probably a good strategy.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Lol getting absolutely fleeced by Deloitte or Accenture lmao.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Aphrodite posted:

The Flyers have bad players. Alienating them is probably a good strategy.

Lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
well if it's true that DeBoer was a finalist for the Philly job maybe that was what was holding him back from committing to Dallas and that domino might drop fairly quickly if that's the case.. Still holding out hope for news that the Stars are going a different direction, but the word from local media is not exactly encouraging on this point.

Tortorella can't do much worse in Philadelphia than Vigneault I guess..

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

loving piece of poo poo loving hockey club, what the gently caress lmao

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Can't believe I'm saying this but the Flyers dodged two bullets in hiring Torts.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

According to Fletcher what they're lacking is gumption apparently and not you know three top line forwards, a top defensive pairing, and most of their bottom six.

Gumption will take a bad team out of lottery contention.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I think maybe Fletcher is bad, but so is Clarke and seemingly the rest of the executive team that haven't left the 70s.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I think maybe Fletcher is bad, but so is Clarke and seemingly the rest of the executive team that haven't left the 70s.

nothing will be fixed until they all die and even then that may not help

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Capuano is back? Man hockey is so loving good

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
picking between Capuano and Torts the Flyers are loving back baby

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good soup! posted:

NHL Offseason: loving piece of poo poo loving hockey club, what the gently caress lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't really get the Torts hire. I like Torts, but what is the Flyers goal here? They're in rebuild mode, and Torts doesn't strike me as a rebuild coach.

Then again being it's the Flyers and they *hate* rebuilding with a fiery passion I'm guessing they think they can somehow make a contender out of that roster. I think they'll be sorely disappointed if that's what they're thinking.

Torts is Therrien 2.0, he's great for the first half of a rebuild, quickly turning a terrible team into an averageish team, by which point the players hate him and tune him out. Then you need to fire him and get a different coach to go the rest of the way.

It kinda makes sense. Either they'll get Jackets Torts and be back to losing in the first round of the playoffs within a year or two, or they'll get Canucks Torts and they'll be serious contenders in the Bedard Derby. If I were a Flyers fan I'd be afraid of the former outcome.

I like Torts way better than DeBoer for their situation anyway.

e: all that said, this works better if your team is mostly young unproven players, not if it's mostly overpaid underachieving veterans

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'd rather have Torts than Ruff right now tho, not even close

although maybe the Devils get another top 5 pick out of it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Torts is Therrien 2.0, he's great for the first half of a rebuild, quickly turning a terrible team into an averageish team, by which point the players hate him and tune him out. Then you need to fire him and get a different coach to go the rest of the way.

It kinda makes sense. Either they'll get Jackets Torts and be back to losing in the first round of the playoffs within a year or two, or they'll get Canucks Torts and they'll be serious contenders in the Bedard Derby. If I were a Flyers fan I'd be afraid of the former outcome.

I like Torts way better than DeBoer for their situation anyway.

it's bad because i'm and probably a lot of other flyers fans are sick and loving tired of yoyoing between being first round fodder and near the bottom of the league. torts isn't what you want for an actual rebuild if you want to stay terrible and ideally get a really high draft pick, never mind when someone like bedard (who based on my understanding is extremely good) is coming up in the next draft

could dig up my old post but they have too much of a mix of players and couturier's contract is horrible and going to gently caress them

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

triple sulk posted:

it's bad because i'm and probably a lot of other flyers fans are sick and loving tired of yoyoing between being first round fodder and near the bottom of the league. torts isn't what you want for an actual rebuild if you want to stay terrible and ideally get a really high draft pick, never mind when someone like bedard (who based on my understanding is extremely good) is coming up in the next draft

could dig up my old post but they have too much of a mix of players and couturier's contract is horrible and going to gently caress them

Yeah can't argue with the painfully clear fact that at no point in memory have the Flyers had a plan for roster construction and what they now have is a random mishmash of modestly talented players that don't fit together in any discernible way. There is no coach that's going to get this team past the first round. Like the Leafs, they're stuck where they are until the entire front office is blown up and rebooted from scratch.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lmao x2

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

if he hadn't destroyed his back, he would be top 5 in all time games played for the team already and 4th by halfway through this coming season

locked up at 7.5 million dollars a year through 2030. lmao

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

drat, locked up longer than the rest of Bryzgalov's buyout

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Habibi posted:

Can't believe I'm saying this but the Flyers dodged two bullets in hiring Torts.

agreed

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Jack Capuano was a name I thought I’d never hear again but this is the NHL and I should know better!

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

I'd rather have Torts than Ruff right now tho, not even close

although maybe the Devils get another top 5 pick out of it

It feels like the Devils haven't had an actual system in a decade

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Flyers might be the one team in this league who have a more hosed up cap situation than Dallas.. god drat

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

Flyers might be the one team in this league who have a more hosed up cap situation than Dallas.. god drat

And this is why I don't mind that Guerin bought out Parise and Suter. It's better than the alternative cap and roster problem.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Poor Gritty. I feel sorry for him.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Should've been Coach Gritty

Also GM Gritty, and possibly President of Hockey Operations Gritty

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

grack posted:

Should've been Coach Gritty

Also GM Gritty, and possibly President of Hockey Operations Gritty

The Panel that voted on the new coach also came this close to euthanizing Gritty

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

drat, locked up longer than the rest of Bryzgalov's buyout

Lol, forgot that's still a thing

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is about basketball but feel free to search and replace Celtics with Bruins as you feel appropriate

https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/The-best-part-of-the-Warriors-title-is-that-the-17248583.php

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

lmao flyers fans should be loving horrified that Jack Capuano made their top 3

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Are we sure that the "consulting firm" wasn't just Pittsburgh players in moustaches?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It is interesting that Mike Sullivan's mentor is coaching the Flyers now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Capuano has been an assistant coach with the Senators for 4 years now. It would be really funny if that were the springboard back to Head Coaching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1537918002489831426?s=21&t=qXsLxpMbbGnFq3sgpue-hw

Don’t disagree with them moving on from Brunnette, but I do disagree with pretty much every single interview candidate besides Barry