Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

When I tried it I had to wait a moment after moving a piece before letting go or else it would go flying. I never want to throw pieces but there's no way to turn it off. Also I never want pieces I'm moving to bump other pieces but there's no way to turn that off either.

I'm at the point of my life where I accept that not everything is made for me and I just move on if it grates on me. If someone makes something that doesn't feel like everything needs to be a physics object at all times I'll give that a try.

There are a few ways for this - grid snapping (very very good), turning off physics interaction for pieces (individual and tedious, I grant you).
For me though, this sort of issue is most apparent on mods that have lots of love and attention. The officials vary in quality and scripting some community ones are absolutely insane. Outside of polished ones, it is very very painful to use for exactly those reasons.
For rapid prototyping and testing though, I can't imagine there's much better option out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, i vastly prefer VASSAL over TTS when i can use it because it is distinctly not trying to be a 3d space and that has some huge advantages.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i have been in more CCG friendly spaces lately as i have been trying to find more LCG stock and some wild poo poo is going on out there

there's new digimon, final fantasy and DBZ card games.....are we entering a new golden age

can we get more mlb showdown

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

BattleMaster posted:

I kind of hate Tabletop Simulator.

It's theoretically the perfect platform for playing traditional games with people online. It has pretty comprehensive mod support and good online capabilities.

But the core game never moved beyond "funny physics game" so you have to be very careful while moving stuff or it will go flying or send other things flying or toppling over. There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off the "hilarious" physics and have thing just snap together or stay where they were placed. I find very infuriating to actually interact with.

edit: I mean I get that you have to be careful not to knock stuff over or throw things in real life but it's a hell of a lot easier to do with hands than a mouse.

I don't think that TTS is flawless, it's definitely janky, but it's also basically what it says on the tin - a simulation of a table top - and if for whatever reason you want to do something that is like a tabletop set up but need to skip some element of the tabletop itself (e.g. playing with people over a vast distance, or making custom assets, or simply lacking space for something absurdly large, or you're just loving sick of shuffling some card deck every turn), it may not be the best solution but it's certainly a very straightforward one.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

John Romero posted:

i have been in more CCG friendly spaces lately as i have been trying to find more LCG stock and some wild poo poo is going on out there

there's new digimon, final fantasy and DBZ card games.....are we entering a new golden age

Finally it's time for Wing Commander CCG to make a comeback.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

My issue with TTS is that since it's an actual physics simulator, it can be pretty resource intensive and cause my old Macbook Air to get really hot and slow just to play some Root.

It's wonderfully versatile and there are a lot of board games I wouldn't get to enjoy without it, but of there's another option available, I'm gonna take that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

PeterWeller posted:

but of there's another option available, I'm gonna take that.

Yeah. It's called a PC.

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
I have a weird pet peeve with TTS in that I dislike it when games are overly scripted, but pretty much everyone I've ever played with have the exact opposite opinion. Some games I get it, sure, but to me it takes away some of the point of playing a board game if you just abstract away the entire setup (or other parts).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John Romero posted:

Personally I'm just waiting for WOTC to decide that it's time to give Duel Masters another try here in the West, though the Digimon card game is a pretty good substitute for the time being

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

drrockso20 posted:

Personally I'm just waiting for WOTC to decide that it's time to give Duel Masters another try here in the West, though the Digimon card game is a pretty good substitute for the time being

I would prefer the company running Duel Masters do it themselves. I don't trust WotC to not intentionally tank the game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Tulip posted:

I don't think that TTS is flawless, it's definitely janky, but it's also basically what it says on the tin - a simulation of a table top - and if for whatever reason you want to do something that is like a tabletop set up but need to skip some element of the tabletop itself (e.g. playing with people over a vast distance, or making custom assets, or simply lacking space for something absurdly large, or you're just loving sick of shuffling some card deck every turn), it may not be the best solution but it's certainly a very straightforward one.

No, it's a "hilarious" intentionally-janky physics game like Goat Simulator and all sorts of other games named like that. It's a game where you put in an attempt to play a game for a couple of minutes, the physics wig out or someone knocks over a bunch of stuff, then you throw the pieces at each other and flip the table.

This is how the game was originally marketed and shown in trailers like the original one that's still on Steam (the fourth one out of four, which nearly only shows poo poo flying around and being janky) and it never really moved on from that even with the huge number of serious mods it has gotten. And I think that it's a drat shame it doesn't have a "funny physics" mode and a "no really let me play a game without intrusive physics" mode. Or at least client side options for "I never want to throw things" and "I never want things I'm moving to bump other objects"

edit: I'm glad people get so much fun out of it but it is frustrating for me to work with it so it's clearly not for me

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 11, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

King of Solomon posted:

I would prefer the company running Duel Masters do it themselves. I don't trust WotC to not intentionally tank the game.

WOTC owns Duel Masters fully, it just was created by their Japanese branch rather than the original American one as they had started doing a manga with people playing MTG since Yugioh was white hot at the time but the American branch told them they couldn't do that(can't remember the exact reason why but I think it was because they just don't like the idea of the card game itself ever being depicted in fiction rather than the universes it portrays) so they went and made up their own new game to use in the manga and then turned it into a real one since due to being a WOTC branch themselves they could get away with making the game essentially "MTG but faster/simpler and with about a decade of understanding what works about MTG and what doesn't, plus just a bit of stealing from Yugioh in terms of style" and ever since it's been consistently holding a slot in the Top 3 most popular TCG's in Japan for the 20 or so years it's existed

Which is why I expect to see another attempt eventually

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

(can't remember the exact reason why but I think it was because they just don't like the idea of the card game itself ever being depicted in fiction rather than the universes it portrays)

Is "Destroy All Humanity It Can't Be Regenerated" by WOTC after they rescinded that policy?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

My issue with TTS is that since it's an actual physics simulator, it can be pretty resource intensive and cause my old Macbook Air to get really hot and slow just to play some Root.

It's wonderfully versatile and there are a lot of board games I wouldn't get to enjoy without it, but of there's another option available, I'm gonna take that.

root isn't on there but i enjoy using boardgamearena sometimes

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

EightFlyingCars posted:

root isn't on there but i enjoy using boardgamearena sometimes

Oh neat. Thanks for this. I'll keep it in mind for next time we have to cancel Sunday D&D and want to play a board game instead.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

"I never want things I'm moving to bump other objects"

Options > Physics > Semi Lock:
"Physics are slightly toned down. Objects that are at rest will no longer interact with other objects."

BattleMaster posted:

"I never want to throw things"

I'm not sure about this one but Snap Points might help. You can make them yourself with a button on the left but many mods come with them already installed. They show a preview of the object you are holding on the table below when you hover over the Snap Point and they drop the object straight down. There's also an option for automatically orienting the object to the Snap Point's orientation.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Baby T. Love posted:

Options > Physics > Semi Lock:
"Physics are slightly toned down. Objects that are at rest will no longer interact with other objects."

I don't recall that being there last time I tried it but it's enough to get me to try it again :eyepop:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is anyone on TG talking about the Blade Runner game anywhere? Early Access PDFs were sent out yesterday and I want to see how my thoughts line up with those of others. Not seeing much discussion anywhere online for what seemed to be a pretty big Kickstarter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Is anyone on TG talking about the Blade Runner game anywhere? Early Access PDFs were sent out yesterday and I want to see how my thoughts line up with those of others. Not seeing much discussion anywhere online for what seemed to be a pretty big Kickstarter.

There's a thread over on RPG.net but chatter has been mild to say the least. A lot of talk I've seen expressed frustration it's so wedded to, at the least, working with the police (because that's how it is in the franchise admittedly).

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

feedmyleg posted:

There's a Fria Ligan thread. The last post was me announcing the Kickstarter. So I guess nobody's really talking about it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903473&pagenumber=4#lastpost

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Dunno if this is the right place to ask but is there a Jackbox-esque solution for tabletop RPGs yet?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

feedmyleg posted:

Haven't had time to read my pdfs yet. Busy busy.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Dunno if this is the right place to ask but is there a Jackbox-esque solution for tabletop RPGs yet?

If you mean a set of minigames that are easy to pick up and play for any length of time, yes.

If you mean virtual tabletop tools for online play, also yes.

If you mean a thing that goes further than a virtual tabletop and has some sort of app integration that handles all the mechanics, then I think no (depending on what you need). But I remember a few years ago Robin Laws talking about working on something like that. I don't know if that's still in progress or what.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

There's a thread over on RPG.net but chatter has been mild to say the least. A lot of talk I've seen expressed frustration it's so wedded to, at the least, working with the police (because that's how it is in the franchise admittedly).
The core job duty of a Blade Runner is hunting down and killing people because of their immigration status. I don't think there's a way to finesse that into the sqeaky clean premise that the average RPGnet poster wants from a game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mellonbread posted:

The core job duty of a Blade Runner is hunting down and killing people because of their immigration status. I don't think there's a way to finesse that into the sqeaky clean premise that the average RPGnet poster wants from a game.
I would think most of the premise would be about 'how do you handle this and how (if?) do you break away from that system,' but that does suggest you start involved in that system, and I suppose the premise of 'probably breaking away from the system' would come off as exculpatory or something.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

mellonbread posted:

RPGnet isn't the only place where that premise won't fly. Look around TradGames - this place is also pretty drat hostile to the idea of portraying law enforcement in anything but an antagonist role. Delta Green was mostly deemed unplayable as a result :psyduck:

Jimbozig posted:

But I remember a few years ago Robin Laws talking about working on something like that. I don't know if that's still in progress or what.

It was implied on a recent KARTAS that the project collapsed under its own weight. It was a cool idea that I suppose just hasn't reached its time yet: a seriously crunchy game with detailed character creation and fiddly, "lots of modifiers" resolution of the sort that is pretty cumbersome to handle at the table, but with a software back-end to automagically handle a lot of that stuff while still exposing to the player that these elements from the fiction were making a difference. Lots of folks with the Champions bug would have been very happy to have something like that out in the ecosystem.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

If you mean a set of minigames that are easy to pick up and play for any length of time, yes.

If you mean virtual tabletop tools for online play, also yes.

If you mean a thing that goes further than a virtual tabletop and has some sort of app integration that handles all the mechanics, then I think no (depending on what you need). But I remember a few years ago Robin Laws talking about working on something like that. I don't know if that's still in progress or what.

What I'm largely looking for is something that would allow someone to host a tabletop game that other people could join easily and virtually without having to buy their own copy of the software the host is using. Jackbox is awesome for the website integration making joining a game require nothing more than what people already have on their devices by default, but I believe I can make do with something people have to get themselves if its free for them to use.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

What I'm largely looking for is something that would allow someone to host a tabletop game that other people could join easily and virtually without having to buy their own copy of the software the host is using. Jackbox is awesome for the website integration making joining a game require nothing more than what people already have on their devices by default, but I believe I can make do with something people have to get themselves if its free for them to use.

Yeah. Roll20 or Foundry.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nessus posted:

I would think most of the premise would be about 'how do you handle this and how (if?) do you break away from that system,' but that does suggest you start involved in that system, and I suppose the premise of 'probably breaking away from the system' would come off as exculpatory or something.

I was pretty disappointed when I heard the premise of the game, tbh. The fact that the first film centers around a party of characters being pursued by antagonistic forces hostile to their existence really feels like it's ready-built to be a TTRPG to be played from that perspective. To me it makes a lot more sense than forcing a group of players embody a bunch of lone-wolf morally-grey cops who are tasked with killing minorities who were born into slavery when they try to gain independence from a corrupt system, of which the player is a part.

The player is (presumably) starting from a place of being sympathetic to the replicants due to the nature of the films, and the mechanics of the game go out of their way to have the PC change to be more sympathetic over the course of the campaign. So why force the player to inhabit the mental space of a character who feels the opposite? It all feels so inorganic.

I get wanting to make a detective game because it's interesting and different from a mechanics standpoint—and from the half of the core rulebook I've gotten through so far it seems they've succeeded—but the fact that the whole thing is built around the players hunting for clues from existing material makes it feel like a better foundation for a solo game than a group game. But the core premise aside, it seems like a very polished and well-thought out set of mechanics.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Roll20 or Foundry.

Thank you! These look really good.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Kestral posted:

RPGnet isn't the only place where that premise won't fly. Look around TradGames - this place is also pretty drat hostile to the idea of portraying law enforcement in anything but an antagonist role. Delta Green was mostly deemed unplayable as a result :psyduck:

Do you mean a bit ago when like 2 people said they didn’t like how the latest edition of Delta Green reintegrated it into government agencies and said that kind of sucked because one of the agencies it suggested PCs were recruited from was ICE? Because that was not deeming it unplayable. I kind of agree it’s more interesting as a game premise when you’re all playing burned agents trying to deal with the government itself being infiltrated by elder cults to the highest level.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kestral posted:

Has it? I would say quite the contrary based on volume of posts. People adore Delta Green; most of the objections are to the presentation of a range of three letter agencies, often including things like ICE, presented as facially neutral 'here is a federal law enforcement organization you might be involved with, here are relevant factors' which do not discuss the historical and inherent problems with those agencies, and perhaps with the entire enterprise of law enforcement.

Fortunately the question of 'can you have good/neutral cops-or-coplike-organizations in a fictional setting without violating suspension of disbelief' would not apply to the Blade Runners! :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nessus posted:

I had made a post about the Blade Runner RPG book's layout and stuff like that in a different thread (guess I should have done it here whoops) but to me the book's focus on everyone being a Blade Runner is just 100% brazenly intentional so that they can do an expansion book about nothing but replicant and off-world stuff next. They even mention future expansions with more character types in the book.

Though I do think it's notable that the game is set in 2037 - replicants are second class citizens but are still allowed on earth at this point and there's a significant % of the human population that thinks they deserve the same human rights as everyone else. You can start the game as a replicant too (or opt to have the DM randomly have some/all the players be one without their knowing).

The book does try a bit hard to have it both ways, at one point saying overall people and replicants can get along fine, but the major powers that could smack down human supremacist groups and stuff like that, Wallace Corp, the LAPD, etc., have a bunch of entrenched bigoted assholes that make that very difficult. But later they mention how its typical for anyone to feel paranoid if they know a replicant is nearby. Intentional or not I found that interesting because it goes well with the players' job as a Blade Runner being less about just killing rogue replicants and more doing whatever's possible to keep the city from going to poo poo. There's a lot mentioned about illegal trafficking of replicants, cracking down on human supremacists, busting people for anti-replicant hate crimes. I almost admire the effort to toe the line and, hey, it's a fictional world so I can accept it being fantastical enough that the players can start out as cops and in some way still do good.

Kind of a letdown that the first book is so blatantly focused just on this so they can sell an expansion but I get it, and the title of the book is Blade Runner I wasn't expecting CY_BORG levels of gently caress the police.

THAT said, might have been interesting to set this first book in 2019 and then have the future one be in 2037 and add various replicant archetypes to play as.

So I would hope whenever the next book comes out, its layout isn't so relatively plain and, uh, by the book?

EDIT:

Here's what I had posted elsewhere about it.

Alien book was fitting all that setting stuff into one space coherently. With this there aren't as many video games/comics/etc. to pull from but like, there is stuff. I noticed they set it in 2037 so like just before the events of Black Lotus kick off.

The design and layout was a bit of a letdown for me too. It feels sort of first draft-esque like if they used this as a base they could eventually give the book a look that evokes the films more.

Like the black and gold art deco colors in some sections and then just called it a day. I know it fits for when the game takes place but the original movie's mix of 20s art deco stuff everywhere with future buildings and 40s and 80s outfits at the same time and 80s future tech but with chonky 70s typefaces and stuff really stands out as one of a kind even compared to all the stuff that ripped it off. It's so visually unique that I'm surprised it wasn't worked into the book's design more.

And it's a bit weird because among the PDF materials are some faux magazine covers that are like, DEAD ON something that would have been among the faux magazine covers they made for Blade Runner. So it's not like they weren't able to crack the look.

That said I'm looking forward to running this and the paintings are nice, though kind of uh, clean? Though again I guess that fits how this one takes place a little closer to the second movie which looks gorgeous but but is definitely less cluttered.

You might appreciate this, there's a couple of Japanese mega-fans of Blade Runner on Twitter that over the years do and recover insane-level deep dives into the movie's stuff that are fun. Like awhile ago someone did an entire booklet just detailing everything about the VIDPHON prop:

https://twitter.com/daichan_47la11/status/1533959379908980736

Every single ad and text on the blimp and what magazine covers they were taken from, seriously one of the most OD decal jobs ever for a model:

https://imgur.com/a/ndB8Lqg

A few days ago a sci-fi themed bar there called KandaFLUX had a themed menu based around the White Dragon and its Sushi Master (Bob Okazaki), fuckin' awesome!!!

https://twitter.com/_BladeRunner_/status/1536203015925149696

:3:

https://twitter.com/_BladeRunner_/status/1535587928285773824

Anyway, mechanically, the game seems quite rad so I'm looking forward to running it and I'm definitely mark for this stuff and am pretty happy with it overall, just, Blade Runner and its sequel are both absolutely designers' movies first and everything else second, so I will admit my expectations for the book were probably unrealistically high.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 18, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A quick dip into the core book turned this up

quote:

For the first time, there is a due process for the RDU,
where detectives must investigate if a Replicant deserves
to be retired. A case must be made to justify the bullet,
even after it’s been fired in the line of duty. We must
even defend Replicants now, both in the courts and
on the streets, should they be the victims of crimes or
conspiracies against them.

And there are many. After all, Replicants are the
most prized technology in the system, and when are
such toys not stolen, broken, or abused in the wrong
hands? Not to mention the unsanctioned technologies,
the illegal counterfeits, the underground traffickers and
chop shops... all the entrenched criminal enterprises
unchecked during Prohibition and now exposed. Plus,
let’s not forget good old-fashioned hatred. Fueled by
the old fears and bigotries of bygone Nexus-6 bogeymen,
along with the bullies all too eager to antagonize those
who can’t fight back.

You still play cops, but they've found a lot of gray areas and some light to operate in. It looks like you could get through a campaign without ever knowingly offering violence to a Replicant.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm not sure "the storyline takes place after successful police reform!" actually makes it thematically better, or just superficially less uncomfortable to play

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm not sure "the storyline takes place after successful police reform!" actually makes it thematically better, or just superficially less uncomfortable to play

It can make it mechanically uncomfortable in a good way. Since the Blade Runner unit started out as the LAPD basically officially contracting bounty hunters, they sort of keep that up in the current setting, if you gently caress up or don't follow due process correctly, unlike irl you actually get penalized by getting your pay cut, you can get cut off from various resources that don't won't work with you anymore, when you get suspended it is always withOUT pay, etc.

The conflict in the game looks like the decision making between how much you do stuff by the book or not and for what reason and if you can officially make that work or not. The interplay between the old guard and the players has potential because the Blade Runners are way overfunded in the setting to make people feel safe and make it seem like the LAPD is "doing something" but there's also a lot of new people in the unit since it's only relatively recently that replicants are fully allowed to live on earth again. So they did do a good job in that respect,

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

mllaneza posted:

And there are many. After all, Replicants are the
most prized technology in the system, and when are
such toys not stolen, broken, or abused in the wrong
hands? Not to mention the unsanctioned technologies,
the illegal counterfeits, the underground traffickers and
chop shops... all the entrenched criminal enterprises
unchecked during Prohibition and now exposed. Plus,
let’s not forget good old-fashioned hatred. Fueled by
the old fears and bigotries of bygone Nexus-6 bogeymen,
along with the bullies all too eager to antagonize those
who can’t fight back.

What does Prohibition refer to here in the Blade Runner universe?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Helical Nightmares posted:

What does Prohibition refer to here in the Blade Runner universe?

In the original film (at least, not sure about the PKD novel) Replicants are legal offworld but they're not permitted on Earth, so presumably it's talking about the ban.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I think that the sequel had a literal ban on distilling new replicants.replicates. Except for medicinal purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ego Trip posted:

I think that the sequel had a literal ban on distilling new replicants.replicates. Except for medicinal purposes.

All joking aside, it got pretty complicated when the prohibition was lifted in (20) 33 because some states still didn't allow individual consumers to purchase grain replicants until well into the (20) 40s. But there were also some positive regulations put into place like how you could no longer claim an android was a Nexus model if it wasn't manufactured in the Nexus region of France. If not it's just electric sheep.