Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Random unreliable bikes with no character:
[...]
Street triple

Now you're just being an Internet troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dema posted:

Now you're just being an Internet troll.

Yeah not sure I follow that one, mine was a blast and never gave me any issues.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Toe Rag posted:

:hellyeah: Looks like a good one. I love tracks with lots of elevation change. One thing I'll say, not that you ask, is don't follow anyone too closely. People in the beginners group brake way too early, and if you're slow to react, you'll collect them in a hurry.

Good to know. I try to give a 4 second lead on the road. No idea what to expect at a track.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Well by closely I mean don’t tuck in right behind someone. That’s fine if you’re both fast riders, but it’s a recipe for disaster with new and even intermediate track riders. Being half a second behind someone is fine as long as you’re offset like 3-6 feet.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

what days are you at NYST?

I’m there with tony’s track days on june 25-26.

youll have a good time even on a small bike. there are some turns that that are so tight they force the big bikes down to almost 25mph. on a much lighter bike they would be a lot of fun.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Will I have fun on my Versys X 300 at a track day? The bike is tall, can it handle it if I learn or should I rent a ninja 400 on site?
I think that would be a pretty good bike for it. Also NYST is a great track. At least in comparison to everywhere else I've been which is just NHMS and NJMP and Canaan.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

yummycheese posted:

what days are you at NYST?

I’m there with tony’s track days on june 25-26.

youll have a good time even on a small bike. there are some turns that that are so tight they force the big bikes down to almost 25mph. on a much lighter bike they would be a lot of fun.

I am doing the rookie day on 7/23. I am still a new rider. 2800 miles on my versys, 2000 on the little 125cc chinabike.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Anyone put anything on their seat to help with circulation in the, er, nether regions? My versys x 300 is like supposed to be comfortable but I went on a 2 hour ride and it felt like a bike, cutting off some circulation.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Anyone put anything on their seat to help with circulation in the, er, nether regions? My versys x 300 is like supposed to be comfortable but I went on a 2 hour ride and it felt like a bike, cutting off some circulation.

couple of options you can try from $ to $$$:

- bead seat
- 3D mesh seat cover if you can find one made for your bike (check eBay)
- airhawk cushion
- recover the seat with new foam + vinyl (a la Seat Concepts)
- aftermarket seat (a la Sargent or Corbin)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

before anything id just be mindful of where you plant your rear end on the seat and how long its been in that same spot. im always moving myself back from the tank because the ergos on my er6 are a bit tight for my knees, but it keeps my butt moving around.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bead seats are dorky as hell and look dumb but man do they work wonders.

The only reason I don’t have one on my new wing is my wooden bead seat stained my old wings seat, so now I have to find one with synthetic beads

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I bought an Indian Scout Bobber as my first bike.

I don't have a licence yet.

I'm a moron, but I couldn't stop myself.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TescoBag posted:

But a GoPro next.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

TescoBag posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810736&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Genuinely I bought it because I have been looking at them for 2 years and this one popped up down the street from me for an incredible price.

I'll be doing a bunch of courses and getting the right gear before I consider riding it.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

you might be doin things a bit out of order there. it's not too late to buy a gopro though!!

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Is it at least the Scout 60 motor? I’ve put about 4000km on an Indian Scout Bobber and I don’t think it’s a great first bike.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Jcam posted:

Is it at least the Scout 60 motor? I’ve put about 4000km on an Indian Scout Bobber and I don’t think it’s a great first bike.

It is not!

The power doesn't scare me, I'm a more relaxed rider (I have ridden bikes in the past a fair amount, but only 125cc on the road, 400cc off) so I won't be using the vast majority of it and generally have good throttle control. The weight of the bike is what I'm more worried about, especially lower speed manoeuvring etc but I will be doing probably 5-10 days of training before I get on it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Good that you have some previous dirt experience, but also remember the training doesn’t stop after your 5 to 10 days. Low speed maneuvers and ESPECIALLY emergency braking need to be practiced consistently (like once a week at least).

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Russian Bear posted:

Good that you have some previous dirt experience, but also remember the training doesn’t stop after your 5 to 10 days. Low speed maneuvers and ESPECIALLY emergency braking need to be practiced consistently (like once a week at least).

Definitely. I am taking a very cautious approach to riding and I'll be getting as much practice as I can in. I might even buy a cheap intermediate bike in the meantime for a few months before I ride the scout. We'll see!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I tested a Scrambler today, there's a 2017 Icon model with 14k km on it at one of the dealers. In general I really liked it, it's perfect for puttering around and my girlfriend was happy on the back.

The only thing I didn't like is the raised bars. The dealer has a new Nightshift model which I absolutely loved but I really wanted a cheapish used bike. The used Icon is 7k CHF and the new Nightshift is 13k, big difference.

I'm going to check for used Nightshift models around the place but if not maybe I'll get that Icon and stick flat bars on it.

They have a desmoseidici in the showroom, beautiful thing:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

knox_harrington posted:

I tested a Scrambler today, there's a 2017 Icon model with 14k km on it at one of the dealers. In general I really liked it, it's perfect for puttering around and my girlfriend was happy on the back.

The only thing I didn't like is the raised bars. The dealer has a new Nightshift model which I absolutely loved but I really wanted a cheapish used bike. The used Icon is 7k CHF and the new Nightshift is 13k, big difference.

I'm going to check for used Nightshift models around the place but if not maybe I'll get that Icon and stick flat bars on it.

That's basically what I did. The Icon came out before the Nightshift, but I liked the look of the Nightshift better, so I bought aftermarket bars and the OEM lights from the Nightshift.

The bars are from Woodcraft and you can buy them in varying sizes. I got the 1.5" ones.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Strife posted:

That's basically what I did. The Icon came out before the Nightshift, but I liked the look of the Nightshift better, so I bought aftermarket bars and the OEM lights from the Nightshift.

The bars are from Woodcraft and you can buy them in varying sizes. I got the 1.5" ones.

Aah awesome, thanks. Can I ask if you had to replace any of the lines or cables? Does yours have the hydraulic brake (e: lol I meant clutch)? The guy at the dealer said he thought I'd need a new brake line but I don't see other people doing that on forums / Youtube.

I saw there's a different bike in geneva that's black and also newer, I was thinking I could ask them to stick on the bar from a full throttle version before I pick it up. Looks like it's €140ish including different mounts which I don't mind paying... even better if they can chuck it in for the asking price.

https://www.autopubli.ch/webkit/userdata/756026/fr/occasions-ms.html

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 19, 2022

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

knox_harrington posted:

Aah awesome, thanks. Can I ask if you had to replace any of the lines or cables? Does yours have the hydraulic brake (e: lol I meant clutch)? The guy at the dealer said he thought I'd need a new brake line but I don't see other people doing that on forums / Youtube.

I saw there's a different bike in geneva that's black and also newer, I was thinking I could ask them to stick on the bar from a full throttle version before I pick it up. Looks like it's €140ish including different mounts which I don't mind paying... even better if they can chuck it in for the asking price.

https://www.autopubli.ch/webkit/userdata/756026/fr/occasions-ms.html

Clutch is hydraulic, yeah. I didn't have to change any of the lines, and the only cables I had to fiddle with were for routing the smaller lights. For that I actually had to take the tank off to get at them properly, but that's more a matter of routing the existing indicator cables than lengthening anything. If you go non-OEM, you'll probably have to drill a small hole into the bar for the switch housing that keeps it from rotating, but there's so much extra cabling I can't imagine you'd need extra slack for either (reasonable) aftermarket or another set of OEM bars. You can see on mine how much the cables/lines come up around the speedometer.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I have the Woodcraft bars on my er6 to also ditch the ridiculous risers. Nice peice of kit, easy install.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Jazzzzz posted:

couple of options you can try from $ to $$$:

- bead seat
- 3D mesh seat cover if you can find one made for your bike (check eBay)
- airhawk cushion
- recover the seat with new foam + vinyl (a la Seat Concepts)
- aftermarket seat (a la Sargent or Corbin)

The seat concepts seat looks really nice and keeps the profile of the bike. The carbon fiber seat should be less grippy which is bothering me.

I am going to hold off just a bit longer. I had it in my cart, was just about to order. I think I am sitting too close to the gas tank, need to sit back on the wider part of the stock seat. Going to try that a bit.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
My friend is looking at a yamaha r7. It looks like a real nice bike. Sort of aggressive ergos but the drivetrain is only somewhat aggressive. It's not an r6 or cbr600rr but way more than a cbr500r.

The way I ride I think i would love the standard version of the r7, the mt-07.

The gas mileage is surprisingly good on both bikes. Sheesh.

The price of used bikes right now....I am struggling against the temptation to trade in for an MT-07. But I do love the bike I have.

My friend lets me on his cbr1000rr all the time. I am not sure I understand why skinny tires are easier to learn on. I've only taken his bike to like 70mph, it seems it turns lighter at higher speeds than mine. Not sure if it is a function of the bike geometry or tire width or both.

The price of new bikes is still lagging on actual inflation based on the price of used bikes - when you can actually find a new bike you want.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 20, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Mostly yeah, the ergos are a bit different (gladys puts your rear end closer to the ground and the seat sucks) but the engine is the same, chassis parts very very similar but slightly improved on the current bike, efi fueling is improved on the newer bikes.

Bro and I went on a multi-hour ride taking turns on the rented gladius yesterday. The seat sure sucks but there was a whole lot we both liked about the bike. Remarkably tippy at low speeds but in a fun way, and though it has more power than I know what to do with that engine is really nice. I've promised myself to put around 10.000km on the learner bike before I trade and that's what I'll do but yesterday did nothing to dissuade me from dreaming about an SV for my next ride.

Hard to say which is uglier.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The gladius is an SV in terrible melted candle wax clothing.

But it’s still an SV underneath, so it’s good.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

detailed my bike yesterday and it looks great but now my mirrors are all out of place <:mad:>

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

The price of new bikes is still lagging on actual inflation based on the price of used bikes - when you can actually find a new bike you want.

This is the big issue, besides show models (which most dealers here arent carrying) everyone in my area is just selling used and orders new bikes per customer requast. When I bought the valkyrie I asked them how busy its been, and they said usually they are steady but this year at that point of the month they were already at 400 bike sales. And had another 3 people come in when I picked mine up to buy. poo poo is nuts and decent bikes ae not sitting at all.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

went to my moms to pick up my old jacket because i don't want to buy a new one right now while trying to lose some weight.

it's leather joe rocket kawasaki road racing jacket in white. the armor in it disintegrated into some oil-y charcoal-y mess. i cleaned most of it out but it's left behind an oily film that i have no idea how to get out of there. anyone have a good idea? i'm going to try some simple green but i don't think that will cut it.

i also was an idiot when i bought this thing. i was about 70lbs lighter and while this thing is tight now it fits which means i must have been swimming in it back then.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I had a ninja 500… I guess I thought I would move up to a ZX-6. oh young me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally got my helmet after it was back ordered for like a month. I went with white to match my jacket and have already had to pick a ton of lint and dog hair off it, really enjoying this choice I've made

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

it's leather joe rocket kawasaki road racing jacket in white. the armor in it disintegrated into some oil-y charcoal-y mess. i cleaned most of it out but it's left behind an oily film that i have no idea how to get out of there. anyone have a good idea? i'm going to try some simple green but i don't think that will cut it.

Goof off will probably remove that loathsome slime but it may damage the material of the jacket. Don't let it sit any longer than you have to and give it a good wipe with a wet paper towel afterwards.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I'd try dishwashing liquid (e.g. Dawn) and water first, just wet a rag with it and wipe. Won't hurt the leather.

Failing that, try rubbing alcohol, which will dry the leather out a bit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I have saddle soap for the leather. The goop is in the interior where the armor was being held. It’s mesh so already fragile and who knows what the broken down chemicals did to it.

I feel like I always knew you should take out armor before storage but undiagnosed adhd makes remembering things like that difficult in the moment.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

drat, I noticed Bikebandit has been down for a couple weeks now. Looked into it and apparently they filed for bankruptcy in Febuary, but have been collecting orders all along with no intent to ship. That sucks for anyone who ordered, but they had the best diagrams and I'm really going to miss those.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdo8hKKU/

This was interesting on TikTok, a shade tree mechanic vlogged the experience of getting a 1980s goldwing going after like 3 used engine swaps and a ton of work on each engine before they kicked the can. Like one had a valve stuck open and it smashed the piston and bent the crank connecting rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The local biggest HD shop know who they cater to.

From a bike ad.

"We will customize your HD exactly how you want it. Visit us and talk to our "Chrome consultant ".

I like that title.