Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Gavin Verhey is a massive charlatan and what he has done at and for Wizards is deeply unethical even by the absurdly low standards of an American corporation.

Your branding of people in the past has been notoriously dangerously hyperbolic so maybe dial it down??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm sorry that you want to believe these wizards employees are your friends instead of people trying to sell you poo poo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Your branding of people in the past has been notoriously dangerously hyperbolic so maybe dial it down??

What on earth are you talking about lol

I'm just saying what is plainly obvious to anyone who has looked at the trend in commander products and watches some commander content: Gavin gets toted as the guy on the inside who wants what's best for players and tries really hard to make stuff better for us, both via his public facing presentation and by channels like The Command Zone who are paid advertisers for wizards, and then he doesn't actually do that at all and constantly pushes garbage product as good often by lying about how good cards are, overhyping future projects that aren't actually that great, etc.

His entire persona is a marketing tactic.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
lmao

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

I thought we had a Commander Containment Thread so these unhinged rants didn't seep out into public

Nah we actually discuss the game there, it's not the incessant smug slap fight this thread is

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

I'm sorry that you want to believe these wizards employees are your friends instead of people trying to sell you poo poo.

What on earth are you talking about lol

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gavin is on Twitter trying to convince people that karoo lands, which are being reprinted in the new set, are actually good. He is doing this like he always does in his role of the fun friendly commander guy at wizards who wants everyone to have a good time.

These cards are actually bad, and I am claiming that he's talking out his rear end to try to get people to spend money on overpriced garbage, something he has a history of doing since he started working at Wizards.

E: to clarify I am talking about this solely in the context of commander, which is also where Gavin was talking about them.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 18, 2022

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The bounce lands are good in pauper and crucial to amulet titan in modern, and the new art is cool

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silhouette posted:

The bounce lands are good in pauper and crucial to amulet titan in modern, and the new art is cool

I agree! I forgot about pauper but they are definitely important there, and the new art is great

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
is it possible that the guy likes the cards and just thinks they're better than you do, instead of being this malevolent entity hurting you personally by picking a moderate power level land to put into a precon

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

flatluigi posted:

is it possible that the guy likes the cards and just thinks they're better than you do, instead of being this malevolent entity hurting you personally by picking a moderate power level land to put into a precon

The problem isn't that they're an inclusion as an uncommon land in a set that needs fixing. They're fine there, and probably better than most other options that could realistically go there. The problem is him engaging with commander players and telling them they're really good in commander and they should play them more.

If this were the only instance of Gavin actively trying to convince commander players to play cards that are bad in commander, it would be perfectly reasonable to think that it was just him particularly liking them. But as I said, he has a long history of repeatedly doing things like this, in a way that extremely looks like him consistently overhyping trash to get people to spend more money.

Especially since these are fancy art special frame things that will likely be much harder to get than the normal ones and commander players are addicted to blinging our their decks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Cant believe this person disagrees with you about what cards are good and bad. Pretty hosed up, and definitely worth whining about for half a dozen posts

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Cant believe this person disagrees with you about what cards are good and bad. Pretty hosed up, and definitely worth whining about for half a dozen posts

I'm sorry but karoos are not good in commander even as a budget option. This is like if a wizards employee was ranting and raving about how good shocks are in legacy or something.

E: actually that's not even a good analogy because shocks are okay if you're trying to play legacy on a budget. Guildgates in modern? Hopefully you understand the point I'm trying to make.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 18, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm not too well versed in the nuance of Commander but isn't it the format where everyone agrees to wear Goku's weighted clothing to have a functioning game because picking all the good cards means you just wipe each other out of existence in a handful of turns. Why does it matter if people are putting bad cards in their deck?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry but karoos are not good in commander even as a budget option. This is like if a wizards employee was ranting and raving about how good shocks are in legacy or something.

This is my snake friend Aesi, he draws me cards

Say hi to Aesi, everyone

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
And as long as Commander allows Thassa’s Oracle and Demonic Consultation I don’t want to hear a loving peep from Commander players about what’s good or bad in their format

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as Commander allows Thassa’s Oracle and Demonic Consultation I don’t want to hear a peep from Commander players about what’s good or bad in their format

Most Commander players would actually be quite happy with an Oracle ban, and have repeatedly pushed for one. That's why the only person who's worse for Commander than Gavin Verhey is Sheldon Menery.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Eej posted:

I'm not too well versed in the nuance of Commander but isn't it the format where everyone agrees to wear Goku's weighted clothing to have a functioning game because picking all the good cards means you just wipe each other out of existence in a handful of turns. Why does it matter if people are putting bad cards in their deck?

Isn't Commander the format where you can say "pwease don't pway any land destwuction" and your opponents are bound by honour to comply? Seems like a great format to play some Karoos.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Yeah this is what Cultivator Colossus should have been.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Say hi to Aesi, everyone

Aesi is really cool. I personally wouldn't play Simic Growth Chamber in that deck though, because you draw so many cards through her and general UG stuff that I imagine you'd rarely have trouble hitting a bunch of land drops without needing it, and it's a really slow card in the earlygame when you can instead be playing ramp, draw engines, etc.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Say hi to Aesi, everyone

Hi Aesi! This is my friend Gitrog:

I bought them from a goon. They draw me cards, they taught me how to use my graveyard as a second hand that everyone can see.

If you play a Relic i will fite u.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Genuinely I wish Wizards would stop trying to cater to Commander players at all because they are by far the most bitchmade contingent of an already bitchmade playerbase

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Genuinely I wish Wizards would stop trying to cater to Commander players at all because they are by far the most bitchmade contingent of an already bitchmade playerbase

I am a basic bitch among basic bitches and I had more fun with EDH in 2010 when Wizards wasn't printing specifically for it.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Quite a lot of commander players also wish they'd stop "catering" to us because it's caused them to print a whole bunch of bullshit.

But also, commander is magic now. It's overwhelmingly the most popular constructed format that has ever existed. Partly because it's a cool and fun way to play the game, partly because Wizards has ruined most of the rest of them.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The best part of commander is that you can play with legacy equivalent decks and, unlike legacy, people actually play the format.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aranan posted:

The best part of commander is that you can play with legacy equivalent decks and, unlike legacy, people actually play the format.

:yeah:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Quite a lot of commander players also wish they'd stop "catering" to us because it's caused them to print a whole bunch of bullshit.

Modern Masters wrecks modern, Commander Masters wrecks commander... When do we get pauper masters that downshifts Oko to common?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Aranan posted:

Bingo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

But also, commander is magic now. It's overwhelmingly the most popular constructed format that has ever existed. Partly because it's a cool and fun way to play the game, partly because Wizards has ruined most of the rest of them.

Commander is immensely popular despite WotC designing for it and despite the RC/CAG's existence. It's simply the way of the future for the game.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Hell is other magic players

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"Commander is the most popular contructed format that has ever existed", says local goon, ignoring that MTGA plays through more games of Standard and Limited per week than has ever been played in Commander in that format's lifetime.

It is true however that Commander is currently the most selling format but apparently Commander players don't like being marketed to either?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Eej posted:

"Commander is the most popular contructed format that has ever existed", says local goon, ignoring that MTGA plays through more games of Standard and Limited per week than has ever been played in Commander in that format's lifetime.

[citation needed]

Also kind of a weird statement when you literally cannot play Commander on Arena, and even if you could, you still couldn't because of limited card selection, but whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

idk that just seems to be the shortest path, not commander players

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Eej posted:

It is true however that Commander is currently the most selling format but apparently Commander players don't like being marketed to either?

I would say that in a way that's true, as far as being marketed to. For me personally, waaaay back in the day of having only ONE precon set a year, it was really fun to go back through old sets/blocks and finding what could work with one another.

Cobbling poo poo together and having that sense of creativity and accomplishment in figuring out a new way for some cards to work.

Now it's just like heaps and heaps of stuff thrown at the format that feels very diluted/watered down with very few obvious cards that work. Those cards become the chase cards and then that cycle starts all over again.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Wizards doesn't understand what it is that people like about magic.

It's like games workshop and WH40k.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Aranan posted:

Dunno, I played a 58 person legacy tournament today

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Aranan posted:

Modern Masters wrecks modern, Commander Masters wrecks commander... When do we get pauper masters that downshifts Oko to common?

Pauper is the only format without planeswalkers making GBS threads it up, don't you put that evil on me aranan

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Silhouette posted:

Pauper is the only format without planeswalkers making GBS threads it up, don't you put that evil on me aranan

I haven't played pauper in over a year. I thought it was already pretty heavily shitted up with this:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aranan posted:

Given how hard even those masters sets accidently wrecked pauper with cards like astrolabe, I don't even wanna imagine how bad it'll get if they actually try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I'm so exciting about being able to get a foil Ghave. As a commander player, this makes me so happy.