Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Homelander has his tinitus zoning out everything else is muffled sound effect going on while watching the video, he's definitely not amused, he's struggling not to lose his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

Some terminally online people are melting down that their politics are coming across as the bad guys in the show.

I was more surprised at the Homelander thing, but I went to the subReddit and couldn’t really find anyone who thought Homelander was cool or whatever the tweet claimed. I did however find a lot of “Blue Hawk was right” posts which is both more depressing and less surprising.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

the look he gave the gay guys was absolutely "oh man, if only I had some free time!"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

At first glance soldier boy looked like a stand in for right-wing terror. That random, pointless attack on down-town definitely felt like it could have been a mass shooting. Now, Butcher and crew will be using terrorism to take down Homelander which will probably end up killing more innocent people. Maybe the events in Uvalde are getting to me, I'm mostly just spitballing here.

Also, I get the feeling that Homelander isn't particularly smart, he just has super senses which give him access to information that nobody else has. This makes him seems smart because he knows all sorts of poo poo that would require a lot of brains to figure out without his powers.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Starks posted:

I was more surprised at the Homelander thing, but I went to the subReddit and couldn’t really find anyone who thought Homelander was cool or whatever the tweet claimed. I did however find a lot of “Blue Hawk was right” posts which is both more depressing and less surprising.

Nothing more accurate in the series than Homelander's speech about never apologizing boosting his approval ratings.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

With how un-subtle the Trump parallels are I kinda wonder if Homelander / Soldier Boy is gonna end up being a New Right / GOP type of conflict,

Y'all, no. Hear me out. Homelander is Trump. And Soldier Boy...

• is a million years old
  • has outdated societal/cultural views but is willing to humor new shenanigans
  • loves the younger ladies
  • may generally mean well but often says dumb things
  • Is super unhappy with Russia
  • makes awkward media appearances
  • still doesn't realize the danger Homelander poses
  • has a tendency to blow up at people when emotional
  • is not the progressive hero we need

...is Joe Biden.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 18, 2022

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016

Habibi posted:

• is a million years old

...is Joe Biden.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Habibi posted:

• is a million years old

...is Joe Biden.

Are the boys the Obama/Bush admins?

Claiming to have the moral high ground while starting a bunch of new wars and killing a majority of innocent people for every "bad guy"?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Is there something going on with the temp V? It was a little thing, and maybe I got the timeline wrong but Hughie just popped open the peanut butter jar when he was talking to Starlight like it was nothing. Did he still have the temp V, or is a side effect that it carries over or can become permanent?

Comics spoilers The Boy's had a watered down version that just gave them low level super strength and durability, maybe the temp V can do the same after a dose or two but they lose the flashy powers?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

How the gently caress could any of these people have made it through both seasons of this show and not gotten the message by now? Was lasering a Nazi in half until they forced her to kill herself in shame not enough of a blunt instrument for these freaks?

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022

seaborgium posted:

Is there something going on with the temp V? It was a little thing, and maybe I got the timeline wrong but Hughie just popped open the peanut butter jar when he was talking to Starlight like it was nothing. Did he still have the temp V, or is a side effect that it carries over or can become permanent?

Comics spoilers The Boy's had a watered down version that just gave them low level super strength and durability, maybe the temp V can do the same after a dose or two but they lose the flashy powers?

His experience with V gave him the confidence to confront stubborn jars all his own.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I don't think it's meant to mean anything other than hughie not feeling emasculated anymore.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GreatGreen posted:

Note to self: next time I see a gay couple walking by on the sidewalk, I am to immediately stop what I'm doing, pop some party confetti poppers, and lavish praise onto them while tearing up about how brave and wonderful they are, or else I'm a homophobic bigot according to the something awful dot com forums. Nevermind the fact that I've been locked up in an evil experimental lab without having been able to see the light of day a single time in the last 40 years and am just now getting my bearings on being in a totally different world.

Go back to the lab op

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 18, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Habibi posted:

• is a million years old
  • has outdated societal/cultural views
  • Is a sex criminal
  • says dumb things

...is Joe Biden.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

then whos hillary

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Ashley

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Ashley

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

drunken officeparty posted:

then whos hillary

the jar that didn't get opened, just broken and discarded.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

drunken officeparty posted:

then whos hillary

mallory

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mat Cauthon posted:

He is fast enough to save Butcher and Stillwell's baby in S1 without a scratch. He gets a city block and a train dropped on him in S2. People like Maeve (hit by a truck) Starlight (took a .50 cal to the chest) and Noir (lived through a supe explosion) are terrified of him.

Short of a sequence of him tearing through a battlefield full of tanks or something I don't know how much more they can convey his invincibility.

Going back to the 'let's see more Homelander tearing poo poo up' for a sec, his one display of super-speed (saving Butcher and the baby) keeps bugging me as really incongruous. To get them both out he'd need easily A-train levels of speed, but he just... never uses it except then? Maybe he's been told not to so he doesn't make A-train irrelevant, but still.

Super-speed is one of the most overpowered, plot-breaking abilities too, which probably explains why they had to saddle A-train with a heart problem. Confirming that Homelander can do it too would be a good way of making him seem truly invincible, but then you need to come up with a convincing way to beat him when he can virtually freeze time at will.

Side note: the comic version of A-train was actually a lot less powerful than the TV version. All he could do at super-speed was run, and he openly said he could barely even see where he was going or change direction. If he tried to do actually do anything with his powers he'd just knock stuff flying everywhere as it reacted to being hit by something going Mach 1.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

jabby posted:

Going back to the 'let's see more Homelander tearing poo poo up' for a sec, his one display of super-speed (saving Butcher and the baby) keeps bugging me as really incongruous. To get them both out he'd need easily A-train levels of speed, but he just... never uses it except then? Maybe he's been told not to so he doesn't make A-train irrelevant, but still.

It was in the X-ray thing, but Homelander didn't save the baby. The baby can teleport, and that was the first time his powers manifested.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

seaborgium posted:

It was in the X-ray thing, but Homelander didn't save the baby. The baby can teleport, and that was the first time his powers manifested.

True, but getting himself and Butcher out still puts A-train to shame

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Crespolini posted:

Being honest, I think maybe tv isn't for you, and what you're looking for is...a book? There'd be no visual to get in the way.

I think what you dont understand about TV, is there is limited runtime. They cant start a bunch of stupid useless plots just cuz some guy wants to know more about the loving board of directors or more about Boss lady.

Whats next, you wont buy how the dishwasher does his job and want a plot line about palmolive?

Dalael fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 18, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Dalael posted:

Gonna be honest, this kind of attitude kinda bugs me. LIke, what do you guys want/ a complete backstory of every character to show exactly who they are or what they can do? She's russian mob. Tell me, in real life, would you need an introduction and a bunch of cliparts before you take a mob boss seriously?

Its like the other guy upthread who wants more of The board of loving director of Vought. Jesus loving christ. Stop watching TV, its clearly not meant for you.

Crespolini posted:

Being honest, I think maybe tv isn't for you, and what you're looking for is...a book? There'd be no visual to get in the way.

Dalael posted:

I think what you dont understand about TV, is there is limited runtime. They cant start a bunch of stupid useless plots just cuz some guy wamts to knpw more about the loving board of dire tirs or more aboit Boss lady.

Whats next, you wont buy how the dishwasher does his job and want a plot line about palmolive?

:munch:

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
I hate the way they pronounce Almond Joy with the emphasis on Almond. It is wrong.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

2nd level spells posted:

I hate the way they pronounce Almond Joy with the emphasis on Almond. It is wrong.

Ha! This bugs me too! The Joy is the best part!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

2nd level spells posted:

You’re a real sicko imo

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Dalael posted:

I think what you dont understand about TV, is there is limited runtime. They cant start a bunch of stupid useless plots just cuz some guy wamts to knpw more about the loving board of dire tirs or more aboit Boss lady.

Little drunk right now?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Crespolini posted:

Little drunk right now?

No im just an iredeemable bad poster. Was phone posting and didnt bother with typos.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Well, anyway. This all started because you said there was no point in showing Homelander being invincible, when you could just have characters state it...but there is. It's cool. And a picture is worth a thousand words and so forth.

It doesn't take a million dollars to have him walk out of a cgi explosion either. I have absolute faith they can convey this visually if they really wanted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bust Rodd posted:

Uuuuuuuh I really love this show but the Social Issue Sound Bite style writing has been completely inorganic. As soon as someone becomes a SOCIAL ISSUE they just immediately devolve into a series of terminally online catch phrases and it 100% breaks my immersion every time. It happens every single time, and it happens multiple times in this past episode alone.

It’s really good because it’s telling these weirdo fans to gently caress off

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Habibi posted:

• is a million years old

...is Joe Biden.
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah, Joe Biden is unable to do that cool Solid Gold appearance, singing Blondie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li2WDMgHxD0

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Crespolini posted:

Well, anyway. This all started because you said there was no point in showing Homelander being invincible, when you could just have characters state it...but there is. It's cool. And a picture is worth a thousand words and so forth.

It doesn't take a million dollars to have him walk out of a cgi explosion either. I have absolute faith they can convey this visually if they really wanted.

I think they dont need to, but you're right that it wouldnt hurt. Im mostly bitching about ppl who want backstories for literally everyone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I have no trouble believing Homelander is as strong as they say. If they want to spend time showing ok I guess but imo it’s not the most important thing for them to be focused on

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Homelander walking down the hallway towards a-train is scarier than most horror movies because they already set up him up as being unstoppable.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

Lol this loving thread is so bad at watching TV

It was clearly meant as gay panic, and the giant pink washing ad with mauve was meant to reinforce that

he freaks out when he hears the radio playing a russian song. the way it's cut is meant to heavily imply (and by heavily imply i mean outright state) that it was the same russian song he heard when he was getting repeatedly tortured. he is experiencing ptsd

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

seaborgium posted:

drat I completely missed that.

jabby posted:

Super-speed is one of the most overpowered, plot-breaking abilities too, which probably explains why they had to saddle A-train with a heart problem. Confirming that Homelander can do it too would be a good way of making him seem truly invincible, but then you need to come up with a convincing way to beat him when he can virtually freeze time at will.

Side note: the comic version of A-train was actually a lot less powerful than the TV version. All he could do at super-speed was run, and he openly said he could barely even see where he was going or change direction. If he tried to do actually do anything with his powers he'd just knock stuff flying everywhere as it reacted to being hit by something going Mach 1.

It seems like he mostly uses it when he is flying or to just suddenly "appear" in a room and freak people out. He has to be super fast, otherwise how did he catch up with that hijacked plane in S1?

It might be an exertion thing, or some other limitation. There are obviously some limits to his powers (or his understanding of how to use them effectively) since he also couldn't just fly under the plane to keep it in the air.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the palpable dread of everyone around him, even the strongest supes, is more effective than a scene showing him tearing some guy in half or whatever

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think Homelander just doesn't use the super speed often because he doesn't care. A train has to, it's his only power. Here's gotta get there, save people, etc. Homelander uses it for Batman style goodbyes. He doesn't give half a gently caress about people, why should he hurry over to them to save them from some dumb poo poo he thinks they did to themselves?

I took the news report as more of a "can't I just have one loving day where nothing goes weird?" moreso than him being afraid or whatever. Here's just pissed cause he's just been called out for not knowing how to do his job by the board lady, and then some random supe blows up part of the city. He just goes into pr mode as usual because he doesn't care about actually being a hero or helping people, he just wants the worship. Hell, he put the deep in charge of the whole "find crime and stop it" dept.

Don't forget, last season this was a guy who threw a kid off a roof because he was pretty sure the kid would be ok. He wasn't positive, he was just kinda sure. I mean, after all, it was HIS kid so OBVIOUSLY he'd have to be amazing, but yes, traumatizing a 12 year old who might have died didn't even cause him to hesitate flinging him off the roof.

He cares about himself, the supe community as a distant second, and the rest of humanity somewhere right above vermin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Crespolini posted:

They have depicted his strength visibly, several times. I think they're just trusting the audience to take it as read at this point that he is still as strong as previously shown, which going by this thread was evidently a mistake