Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

XB2 and 1 are functionally the same story wise so if you can handle one the other should be fine

Character design does a looooot of heavy lifting there. Even if it was identical in every way Xenoblade 1 would feel entirely different if you replaced Shulk with Rex and Fiora with Mythra or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"functionally" is doing a lot of heavy lifting. Rex/Pyro/Mythra and Shulk ultimately have different goals and motivations for why they want to save the world and how they got started.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean at first I guess but the armors of one get progressively more horny until by the end of one your female characters are wearing mecha bikinis

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Tae posted:

"functionally" is doing a lot of heavy lifting. Rex/Pyro/Mythra and Shulk ultimately have different goals and motivations for why they want to save the world and how they got started.

It’s the standard revenge/friendship. Because they are both pretty standard shonen stories

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean at first I guess but the armors of one get progressively more horny until by the end of one your female characters are wearing mecha bikinis

I mean Xenoblade absolutely had horney as poo poo armors (though DE let you glam over it so that's a plus) and a couple of "Yeah sure guys you drew this one with one hand" characters but XB2 goes all in on the horny and the character designs by the nature of the art style all look far more exaggerated.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

XC2 just left me cold with all of the "you thought you beat me in gameplay, but you actually didn't in the cutscene!" story turns, which were common enough to be noticeable in a genre infamous for the overuse of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Runa posted:

XC2 just left me cold with all of the "you thought you beat me in gameplay, but you actually didn't in the cutscene!" story turns, which were common enough to be noticeable in a genre infamous for the overuse of them.

I didn't really notice it but after Trails of Cold Steel it would take an entire game made up of literally nothing but those kinds of battles for me to even take notice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't really notice it but after Trails of Cold Steel it would take an entire game made up of literally nothing but those kinds of battles for me to even take notice.

Oh.

That's chilling.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

XB2 and 1 are functionally the same story wise so if you can handle one the other should be fine
this is a wild take lmao, do you just not understand tone in storytelling??

the only way you would think this is if you consume video game stories like they were plot summaries on a wikipedia article

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

For what I could tell from what I played XB2 is just more direct and early on its animeness, the whole Poppi introduction being the biggest thing I remember. Also the beggining of XB2 is overall more whacky anime than XB1's dramatic anime.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

XB1 is a mecha anime and XB2 is a battle anime. They are related, but somewhat different genres.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Oh gods, that would drive me insane.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

XB1 is a mecha anime and XB2 is a battle anime. They are related, but somewhat different genres.

and XBX is a Man's Mecha Anime that they have cockblocked me on the ending for years

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Oh gods, that would drive me insane.

Sorry I'd tell you more but I was only using 1% of my REAL power, heh.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GreenBuckanneer posted:

and XBX is a Man's Mecha Anime that they have cockblocked me on the ending for years

Even in the event of a remaster they'll probably never elaborate on the cliffhanger because they just aren't prepared to handle the implications.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Even in the event of a remaster they'll probably never elaborate on the cliffhanger because they just aren't prepared to handle the implications.

I think honestly it's literally xenoblade ten and not just 'x is a cool name' which would make some of the stuff we see in the XC3 trailers start to make sense. But takahashi never gets the chance to actually complete his friggin series.

Or maybe Mira is earth ala Planet of the Apes or something.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I have to wonder what would happen if Square Enix remade Xenogears. I mean, I dunno if that's feasible or even worth it to do, but Xenogears and Xeno games in general tend to have a very specific feel tied to the people who wrote and planned them out and I'm curious how a remake would work, where they'd make changes, where they'd leave it the same, or if they'd just say gently caress it and let Monolith Soft make it as long as Square Enix gets a sizable cut of Nintendo's portion.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Xenogears remake but it’s all people sitting in chairs talking instead of just half of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I have to wonder what would happen if Square Enix remade Xenogears. I mean, I dunno if that's feasible or even worth it to do, but Xenogears and Xeno games in general tend to have a very specific feel tied to the people who wrote and planned them out and I'm curious how a remake would work, where they'd make changes, where they'd leave it the same, or if they'd just say gently caress it and let Monolith Soft make it as long as Square Enix gets a sizable cut of Nintendo's portion.

I think the biggest issue there is that Xenogears is a staggeringly large game in scope. Even if you don't go full FFVIIR on it it's still going to require an absolutely insane amount of development time and it is for a game that just isn't likely to sell well enough to justify it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Xenogears remake but it’s all people sitting in chairs talking instead of just half of it.

Our Gears

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Just remake it as a waiting room magazine for the most immersive experience

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xenogears doesnt need a remake. disc 2 is a meme but it's also just. at this point it's honestly a defining part of xenogears' cultural identity. it would almost feel wrong to fill that stuff in any other way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remake disc 1 and keep disc 2 exactly the same

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Xenogears but instead of the narrated bits being a character sitting in a chair, it's framed like a vtuber streaming a game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Xenogears but instead of the narrated bits being a character sitting in a chair, it's framed like a vtuber streaming a game.

Bart would absolutely stream all his mecha battles if he could.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Bart would absolutely stream all his mecha battles if he could.

Thanks for the superchat, LambLover69!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ImpAtom posted:

Insert Suikoden joke here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

xenogears doesnt need a remake. disc 2 is a meme but it's also just. at this point it's honestly a defining part of xenogears' cultural identity. it would almost feel wrong to fill that stuff in any other way.

Wrong it absolutely does. A remake would fix all the problems the games have.

Skipping cutscenes
Pausing cutscenes
A cutscene viewer

10/10 remake.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It should also keep the random encounters that can happen mid jump causing you to fall when the battle is over.

Also keep the battle music that somehow, someway, sampled the courtroom sentencing of Marlon Brando's son.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

It should also keep the random encounters that can happen mid jump causing you to fall when the battle is over.

Also keep the battle music that somehow, someway, sampled the courtroom sentencing of Marlon Brando's son.

Wait what?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FirstAidKite posted:

Somehow not the first time Square did something like that

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Wait what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C98FekziprI

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought the deal was you very specifically couldn't jump when a random encounter was being spooled up, which led to the whole thing which could lead to falling off when trying to jump?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I thought the deal was you very specifically couldn't jump when a random encounter was being spooled up, which led to the whole thing which could lead to falling off when trying to jump?

However it worked that resulted in Babel Tower's BS

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As I recall, you can't get into random encounters while jumping and can't jump if a random encounter is loading. But the only way to use this behavior to avoid random encounters is to do standing jumps because any motion on the ground increments the step RNG, and you just can't get the same distance on a jump in this manner as a running jump. But of course going for a running jump means you're moving on the ground which can trigger a random encounter.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Just finished StarCrawlers on Challenging difficulty, in just over 40 hours total playtime. Pretty fun once my builds came together and I could do things other than spam one attack and hope to not die: I got some game overs here and there, but the dungeons aren't super long so it's not that bad. (The hardest bosses usually have the shortest dungeons to go with them, too.) Things went more smoothly once I realized that it's usually better to complete the mission objective first and then worry about looting if I've still got anything left in the tank after.

The writing felt a little amateurish, but it basically does its job of being a fun goofy space opera thing. One optional party member is a killer robot who talks entirely in haiku, and how you feel about that will probably be a decent barometer for how you feel about the writing as a whole. The UI issues were a bit more annoying: the combination of grid-based movement, free look, and little treasures scattered all over the place sometimes made it sort of hard to figure out where exactly I actually had to stand so I could both see a treasure and be close enough to pick it up. I'd have preferred to just have free real-time movement outside of battle, since there's already a real-time element to the traps and security cameras on missions.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I had to take a break on OG Metal Max Xeno because I'm stalled at a bounty I can't skip and can't really find any real info on the game. I enjoy the customization but am not really sure how to get the most out of it (I'm at the special defense zone). Not really sure what "paths" I should be pursusing on the chassis remodel thing and money is so tight it's just hard to experiment.

So I decided to pick up MS Saga since I'm still feeling some customization. What a cool little nugget that game is. Definitely screams 2000's gameplay but they really did just make Final Fantasy with Gundams. The setting is really ripe for a lot of different series (where's X?) and they really, really like the Zeon suits. But the whole experience is just really fun. It's a straight up JRPG with pretty decent production values, weird character designs and in depth customization. I hate knowing we will never get another one in the modern age.

It definitely has its issues like diametrically opposed camera angles when switching screens. I still love it though.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 19, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looking at the RPG section of PSNow2 is a "what the hell are these" gallery. These exist and got made? Who js buying these???

Edit: Ys IX is exactly what Im vibing with. A ton of progression systems that take no mental investment whatsoever but make number go up in a casually easy game with a smallish open world map. Don't know what the story is, don't care, gonna find some grafitti.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 19, 2022

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Levantine posted:

I had to take a break on OG Metal Max Xeno because I'm stalled at a bounty I can't skip and can't really find any real info on the game. I enjoy the customization but am not really sure how to get the most out of it (I'm at the special defense zone). Not really sure what "paths" I should be pursusing on the chassis remodel thing and money is so tight it's just hard to experiment.

I've been getting back into this over the weekend after being bored by Reborn and wanting to refresh my memory of the original - Reborn may initially play smoother, but besides losing the story they really dropped the ball on the tank customization as well. Having a way better time with the old version.

The only thing that you may want to pay attention to is boss drops - you can only fight them once per playthrough, and loot tables change in New Game+ if you bump up the difficulty. So if you're a completionist you'll want to savescum them until they cough up their special drops. You should make it a habit to use the Hunter's Scent of Prey and Decoy skills to check what enemies are in each area and to lure out the ones you want. But nothing is permanently missable, you can freely change difficulty on every New Game+.

As for money, there's a great grinding area in the crater near the Roppongi Babel waypoint. The cannons dropped by the Ghost Tanks sell for a lot, and you can kill them by the dozen with a few flame machine guns. Works better at night as you'll only get the more profitable Ghost Tanks, during daytime there will be another type mixed in which also drops cannons but can't be shield broken for the extra drop rate.

But MS Saga is certainly the better game, so maybe just stick with that for now ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

fezball posted:

I've been getting back into this over the weekend after being bored by Reborn and wanting to refresh my memory of the original - Reborn may initially play smoother, but besides losing the story they really dropped the ball on the tank customization as well. Having a way better time with the old version.

The only thing that you may want to pay attention to is boss drops - you can only fight them once per playthrough, and loot tables change in New Game+ if you bump up the difficulty. So if you're a completionist you'll want to savescum them until they cough up their special drops. You should make it a habit to use the Hunter's Scent of Prey and Decoy skills to check what enemies are in each area and to lure out the ones you want. But nothing is permanently missable, you can freely change difficulty on every New Game+.

As for money, there's a great grinding area in the crater near the Roppongi Babel waypoint. The cannons dropped by the Ghost Tanks sell for a lot, and you can kill them by the dozen with a few flame machine guns. Works better at night as you'll only get the more profitable Ghost Tanks, during daytime there will be another type mixed in which also drops cannons but can't be shield broken for the extra drop rate.

But MS Saga is certainly the better game, so maybe just stick with that for now ;)

That's helpful, thanks! I'm not quite there yet but I'll keep an eye out.

Do you have any tips for maximizing damage? I don't really know what I should be doing with my tanks. I've upgraded my main 3 but are some upgrade paths better than others?