Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Heath posted:

I am shocked at how few people have the Torque Dork achievement. Don't you wanna chat with your bro about carsmotor carriages??

At least when I was playing, you couldn't get it unless you were very slow at finding a name for yourself. Got it like, first run, never since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Finished the game after it sat in my steam library for 2 years. Numerous restarts and loving around, purposely picking responses that I knew would screw me before I said enough, I want to actually solve the case instead of larping as Revachol's Biggest Fuckup (I was still the biggest fuckup but at least I closed the case. And Kim took my offer up).

I went with 5/5/2/2, inland empire owns. I also pumped Encyclopedia because I got the Wompty domp thought. I was wondering why people kept saying that Encyclopedia was a worthless skill cause I was swimming in money but then I realized I didn't need money at all at this point. It was nice to be able to buy everything I saw though.

I got the achievement for not looking at the body at all because I thought I could come back once I found my gun (I never found it). Got most of the Hardie Boys + lawyer killed at the Tribunal. I also didn't listen to my tie beforehand because I thought it wanted me to drink the blue spirit. Doesn't it know I'm trying to play Sober unfuck-up cop Harry, big regret now after I found out what happens when you listen to it.

The cryptid and I had a beautiful moment together.

What an amazing game. I ended up watching the vision quest outcomes on youtube but I'll definitely do a replay later as well. Going to take the body down next time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Alchenar posted:

She feels bad enough about the situtation that she has shown up personally to try to unfuck it.

And how does that go?

gently caress Joyce and gently caress her feelings.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
On my most recent play I've been doing Boring Cop, staying mostly neutral on the politics and focused on the case with a focus in Rhetoric, and trying to take Harry seriously when he said he "doesn't want to be like this anymore" and make him remember being a good cop. Surprisingly satisfying since I feel like this path runs counter to so much of what the game allows you to do. I've been sober except for cigarettes (I figure that would be the hardest thing to give up realistically) and it's amazing how efficiently you can blow through people with Rhetoric checks. By the end of day 2 I've managed to piece together a great deal of the details surrounding the case and I've gotten the relevant parties to own up to certain aspects, and I've only just now crossed the water lock to the coast.

Something I've found that has helped tremendously is not immediately spending my skill points. I've almost always got one or two unspent in reserve just in case I unlock a thought I'd like to get or want to retry a white check right away. It keeps me from getting sidetracked and usually I'm not far from my next point anyway. It feels a little more organic too since my point distribution kind of follows what I'm doing rather than a preconceived role-playing build I'm trying to do.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Orange Devil posted:

And how does that go?

gently caress Joyce and gently caress her feelings.

TBF it's hard to negotiate when Evrart won't even meet with you.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Negotiate?
Demand nothing. Take everything.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Orange Devil posted:

Negotiate?
Demand nothing. Take everything.

Which is why Evrart escalates things and the tribunal is praxis

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Heath posted:

I am shocked at how few people have the Torque Dork achievement. Don't you wanna chat with your bro about carsmotor carriages??

It requires 3 or less Encyclopedia combined with 2 or more Logic, so neglecting or favoring intellect skills will lock you out of it. I've always gone for relatively high-INT Harrys, so I've never gotten it despite 4+ playthroughs.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

It requires 3 or less Encyclopedia combined with 2 or more Logic, so neglecting or favoring intellect skills will lock you out of it. I've always gone for relatively high-INT Harrys, so I've never gotten it despite 4+ playthroughs.

IIRC you need to hit four conversation triggers out of a possible like eight or so (with two being mutually exclusive). You need decent Logic, and Interfacing. I believe one of them requires a line of text that only comes up if you started the game with less than three Encylopedia, and then another one requires more than four. I think one of them requires a decent Inland Empire, though that might just be flavor.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

This is for the thought, not the achievement

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Alchenar posted:

She feels bad enough about the situtation that she has shown up personally to try to unfuck it.

That's so nice and endearing of her! That makes up for everything!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hobo Clown posted:

Oh no, does he change out of it after the Tribunal? I put mine on immediately because that's what Suggestion uh, suggested

Trophy didn't pop for it yet, reading online I have to finish this playthrough and start another one first to get it for some reason?

As someone who just got this achievement, I can help you out here. Kim does indeed take the jacket off after the Tribunal, but just keep playing. Finish the hardcore run you're currently on, and then start a new game on hardcore. If Kim is wearing a black bomber jacket when you first meet him then you're good. Save there, and then reload that save and the achievement should pop.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I started playing this for the first time, and I have a skills question. I picked the Thinker build, but I'm unsure how to allocate earned points. Is it worthwhile to try to boost skills I'm low in, or should I just focus on my strong skills?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Don't worry about it too much. The important thing to know is that putting a point in a skill will allow you to retry white checks you have failed previously pertaining to that skill.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My all physical harry is now at negative logic, so I think I might be too stupid to realize I should punch measurehead.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Barudak posted:

My all physical harry is now at negative logic, so I think I might be too stupid to realize I should punch measurehead.

It's true, that is stupid. because you should be executing a perfect roundhouse kick

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
In my last playthrough I learnt that it is possible to have your perception so low that you can't even see the cryptozoologist's traps.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Just take the skills you find entertaining.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

christmas boots posted:

Which is why Evrart escalates things and the tribunal is praxis

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

UnknownMercenary posted:

As someone who just got this achievement, I can help you out here. Kim does indeed take the jacket off after the Tribunal, but just keep playing. Finish the hardcore run you're currently on, and then start a new game on hardcore. If Kim is wearing a black bomber jacket when you first meet him then you're good. Save there, and then reload that save and the achievement should pop.

Thanks for this, finally got it working. Just saving and reloading didn't work but quitting out of the game and then reloading got it to pop. Is that how it's supposed to go or is it bugged? It's really non-intuituve, especially considering the trophy icon is the Pissf****t jacket.

Also new game black jacket Kim looks weeeeird

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think you're not supposed to have to exit out completely, but it is one of the really buggy achievements and like you said pretty counter intuitive.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
On playthrough 2:

I missed the abandoned church anodic rave the first time and this time I am determined to get it but I keep on failing Soona's white check for the headphones. Sadly, I've hit my maximum level for perception. Is there any way to raise it? :ohdear:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Propaganda Machine posted:

On playthrough 2:

I missed the abandoned church anodic rave the first time and this time I am determined to get it but I keep on failing Soona's white check for the headphones. Sadly, I've hit my maximum level for perception. Is there any way to raise it? :ohdear:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you find the special speed bottle in Klaasje's drugs cabinet you can combine it with regular speed and take both at the same time. :drugnerd:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm getting a softlock bug when my morale gets low, where everything except Harry fades to black. I get the feeling a scene or some dialogue is meant to play, but it doesn't. I can keep walking around, and interact with stuff (although I can't see anything so I'm clicking in the dark), but can't save. Loading a different area clears the black-out and I can see again. However all the dialogue options are no longer visible when I interact with stuff. They're still there, I can use the number keys and enter to select them, but I can't see what they are. The only fix I've found is to reload.

Is this a known bug or, much like Harry, am just an unlucky bastard? It's not game breaking, but I have to save frequently and save scum any choices that have morale drops or the game softlocks, which a bit immersion breaking and ruins my ability to play Harry as a total gently caress-up.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Sounds to me like it's triggering the 0-morale sequence except you don't die at the end. Can you click your morale boosting button to use an item, get out of low morale, and resolve the issue?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

No, I can click a morale boosting item and restore my morale, but the problem remains. If I'm fast enough to restore the morale then it doesn't all fade to black and I'm fine.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Propaganda Machine posted:

On playthrough 2:

Col Do Ma Ma Daqua

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I've been listening to a lot of reggae for the first time ever and stumbled across

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djWm-5fjyWA

and also this, which didn't teach me anything new about the game but which does have a horn section that sort of reminds me of the main theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbfvN5H1J_E

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
So there's a highlighted guy in the Whirling-In-Rags that you can't actually interact with. It looks like he's keeping an eye on the Hardies- that's got to be the fully masked / very racist merc at the Tribunal, right?

Cheston fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 21, 2022

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I don't know who you're talking about without a screenshot but Joyce mentions one of them is holed up in a building overlooking the roundabout and after she tells you there's an orb that can pop up in that area near the scab leader that says something like you feel you're being watched. Pretty sure the fully masked dude with the rifle was holed up in a building to the right on the screen you can't enter.

thewizardofshoe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 21, 2022

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Cheston posted:

So there's a highlighted guy in the Whirling-In-Rags that you can't actually interact with. It looks like he's keeping an eye on the Hardies- that's got to be the fully masked / very racist merc at the Tribunal, right?

Ruud? I believe the mercs say he only arrived in Martinaise just before the tribunal as backup. Joyce doesn't know about him at all.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Sierra Madre posted:

Ruud? I believe the mercs say he only arrived in Martinaise just before the tribunal as backup. Joyce doesn't know about him at all.

Ruud doesn't seem like the kind of person who could pass with any believable cover story in public. Doesn't Phillis serve as the lookout? I thought she was the source of the 'you feel like you're being watched' line.

I also keep wondering about that guy in the Whirling-in-Rags who has bark lines and nothing else, there are so few characters like that in the game that he really stands out.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
That guy was Deus Ex as gently caress. There should have been more randoms like that. "It's all about the money, man"

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
A Nasty Ruud Boy

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

UP AND ADAM posted:

That guy was Deus Ex as gently caress. There should have been more randoms like that. "It's all about the money, man"

spoiler alert!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Saved as phone background :cop::mmmhmm:

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
new update out that adds Dyslexia friendly fonts to the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU