Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

I didn’t even know there was a first season blu-ray of Kaguya…

https://kaguyasama-anime.com/1st/bd/ yours for only $99...

Are anime blu-ray sets region locked nowdays? Last time I bought one (physical DVD boxset) was a good decade ago, and back then region unlocking your DVD-player was super simple, so it didn't matter if I got NZ, UK or US version.

Coincidentally I'm asking as I really want a physical of Kaguya-sama S3; or even better hoping they do a complete boxset later in the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

awesome. the sequel-ish series currently getting an official tl released on comickey but id rather just pay dollars instead of use an intentionally obfuscated payment system (looking at you, every official korean tl)

Space Flower posted:

if anyone had just posted art like this i would have read helck ages ago

Ardeem posted:

Helck starts like fantasy One Punch Man, but then it develops a second joke and eventually turns serious.

yeah. I still liked the serious story, though. Helck was a really interesting ride

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1538095294545633280?t=zbyxLETKY_TLoZeNLxGYfw&s=19

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jomo posted:

https://kaguyasama-anime.com/1st/bd/ yours for only $99...

Are anime blu-ray sets region locked nowdays? Last time I bought one (physical DVD boxset) was a good decade ago, and back then region unlocking your DVD-player was super simple, so it didn't matter if I got NZ, UK or US version.

Coincidentally I'm asking as I really want a physical of Kaguya-sama S3; or even better hoping they do a complete boxset later in the year.

Ahh season 1 was an Aniplex of America release...that's probably why season 2 isn't out yet as that was released before Sony bought Funi and Crunchy and it feels like they're sorta of deciding what to do with the brand (leave it as a high end label for stuff like Kaguya or Madoka or just have everything be released by Funi/CR)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Ahh season 1 was an Aniplex of America release...that's probably why season 2 isn't out yet as that was released before Sony bought Funi and Crunchy and it feels like they're sorta of deciding what to do with the brand (leave it as a high end label for stuff like Kaguya or Madoka or just have everything be released by Funi/CR)

Wait, that poo poo’s not the Japanese site with an English translation? That’s the real price? They’re charging $100 for a show with 12 episodes and only subs? I heard some stuff about aniplex but wow…

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Aniplex releases are kinda embracing the Japanese culture of anime BDs, where it's more of a collector's piece.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last Celebration posted:

Wait, that poo poo’s not the Japanese site with an English translation? That’s the real price? They’re charging $100 for a show with 12 episodes and only subs? I heard some stuff about aniplex but wow…

Lmao this is standard Aniplex:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Aniplex of America charges Japanese level prices and tries to sell them as a higher level quality. I only own Madoka TV and Madoka movie 3 from them and while good releases I'm not sure its worth the extra cost. But also physical media does seem to be trending to be more on the collectable side...

I can see them really rethinking the brand now and it could b2 noteable that Kaguya season 3 doesn't have the aniplex logo when streaming when season 1 and 2 did

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

their subs regularly suck rear end so it's definitely not worth it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Aniplex releases are kinda embracing the Japanese culture of anime BDs, where it's more of a collector's piece.

Fuuuuuuuck that. That practice always sounded gross to me when I first heard it years ago and I shudder to see it adopted over here.*

*me still being in denial that it isn't already here and corporations are intent on destroying physical media and consumer ownership.*

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I just assume that these days the high-priced collector's sets are because the casual way to see those shows is to just, well, stream 'em.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

My seasonal ranking is probably pretty solidified at
1. Machikado
2. Kaguya
3. Dance Dance Danseur
4. SpyFam
5. Birdie Wing or Kongming
(#0 is Anne of Green Gables which I have also been watching over the season)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I can see them really rethinking the brand now and it could b2 noteable that Kaguya season 3 doesn't have the aniplex logo when streaming when season 1 and 2 did

bisque doll didnt have the aniplex logo on the videos either, i think they just stopped caring about adding it now that they own the streaming services. which is good because we no longer have to hear the worst-sounding voice in the world say "aniplex" 12/24/36 times a season

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Jomo posted:

Japan and North America are on the same BD region, unlike DVD.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Good times at the Pride event in my little red town

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

Japan and North America are on the same BD region, unlike DVD.

Ya, sadly I'm region "B" (NZ,AU,EU,UK) so I have to order from Amazon UK (I live in NZ) or figure out how to get a region-free player so I can purchase Region "A" (US,JP) discs. Between this, and the ridiculous pricing for boxsets, I can see why a lot of people have just given up and moved to PLEX or other digital-only platforms.

Like, I want to support the production of this show, but in a lot of ways I feel it's stayed just as difficult as it was in the 2000's for those not in Japan.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The Vans x Sailor Moon collab is loving righteous

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

The Vans x Sailor Moon collab is loving righteous

The very definition of "don't need, but drat I'm tempted" on some of the shoes.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Science Fell in Love, so I Tried to Prove It took a hard left with this week's episode :stare:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
god drat Dandadan is so loving good

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The big companies don't have to do anything about physical ownership (except console makers, who mostly get their cut nowadays out of having to subscribe for only features, so the resale market doesn't hurt them as much, and also making digital purchase as convenient as possible). Cuz they're still printing physical discs on the shittiest presses possible, they're not going to last much longer than VHS tapes would. Hell I already have some old DVDs from when I was a kid that are peeling apart. My dad doesn't have any of his original CDs from the early 90s anymore, partially because they always slowly get scratched up when you actually use discs but some of them were warped before we tossed them lol. A file on a hard disk is straight up going to last longer, and if you pay above the normal rate for a tv show or movie on disc like loving Aniplex wants, you're objectively a sucker.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My main concern is media preservation. A move to streaming makes it harder and harder to preserve shows or films in their original form.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I could also see some companies pulling limited time licenses without renewals, causing shows to disappear entirely.

We've already seen it happen with some TV.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that's why you should still buy if you care about that. Just, buy from people that let you download it. Or buy disks and rip them instead of leaving them on a shelf till the plastic starts to offgas and bricks the disc. They've both got equally good shelf lives in the short term, but discs break down and I'll be loving shocked if a single streaming library remains unchanged for even a year.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's tons of anime in expired streaming limbo already, even some noteworthy shows from the 2010s, not just old or obscure stuff.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's why I feel absolutely zero guilt using one of the piracy sites because often it's not streamable and even then it's a coin flip whether I can even buy it on Amazon or not. and usually it's way too expensive lol. or they don't have the dub. etc etc. if they want me to pay for it they should make it available and at a reasonable price and if they don't I just won't pay for it. although I watch like literally 3 shows a year so I guess it's a wash.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

it's why I feel absolutely zero guilt using one of the piracy sites because often it's not streamable and even then it's a coin flip whether I can even buy it on Amazon or not. and usually it's way too expensive lol. or they don't have the dub. etc etc. if they want me to pay for it they should make it available and at a reasonable price and if they don't I just won't pay for it. although I watch like literally 3 shows a year so I guess it's a wash.

The other issue with trying to support series thru other avenues is that... 99.9% of show merch is landfill clutter. Yuru Camp did a cool watch collab, and Birdie Wing has teamed up with JackBunny for some tie-in golf apparel that appears in the show, but otherwise it's the same keychain/wall-scroll/waifu-doll rubbish.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jomo posted:

The other issue with trying to support series thru other avenues is that... 99.9% of show merch is landfill clutter. Yuru Camp did a cool watch collab, and Birdie Wing has teamed up with JackBunny for some tie-in golf apparel that appears in the show, but otherwise it's the same keychain/wall-scroll/waifu-doll rubbish.

The Japanese have awful merch game. I wanted to buy an Elden Ring t shirt but they were absolutely awful so I spent the money on Longmont potion castle shirts instead. Which haven't shown up yet which makes me sad.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

The Japanese have awful merch game. I wanted to buy an Elden Ring t shirt but they were absolutely awful so I spent the money on Longmont potion castle shirts instead. Which haven't shown up yet which makes me sad.

while a good elden ring shirt would be sick I'd say you probably made the better choice. lpc ftw

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I checked the mail as soon as I said that and they were there ftw. I got the lpc 8 and the 18 shirts and the 8 one is purple with golden sparkly print and it's epic.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

jealous as hell!!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

incredibly lovely pic where it looks blue for some reason but behold.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Larry Parrish posted:

The big companies don't have to do anything about physical ownership (except console makers, who mostly get their cut nowadays out of having to subscribe for only features, so the resale market doesn't hurt them as much, and also making digital purchase as convenient as possible). Cuz they're still printing physical discs on the shittiest presses possible, they're not going to last much longer than VHS tapes would. Hell I already have some old DVDs from when I was a kid that are peeling apart. My dad doesn't have any of his original CDs from the early 90s anymore, partially because they always slowly get scratched up when you actually use discs but some of them were warped before we tossed them lol. A file on a hard disk is straight up going to last longer, and if you pay above the normal rate for a tv show or movie on disc like loving Aniplex wants, you're objectively a sucker.

While DVD rot is definitely a thing, a part of it is also proper storage. I have DVD’s I bought when I was 18 that are almost 20 years old now and work just fine. They might not play (or be obsolete) later on but if you’re storing them in areas where the temperature fluctuates wildly, or it gets incredibly humid that will greatly increase the chance of your discs going to poo poo. I’ve pretty much had my discs in basement rooms my entire life where I live where it’s always fairly cool and they play just fine.

Also, a file on a hard drive actually would last less longer in the earlier days unless you had backups. With SSD drives this isn’t as true anymore, but guess what old hard drives used to store information? Discs. I worked selling computers for a while and it pretty much wasn’t a question if those hard drives would fail, it was when, as they pretty much had a shelf life from being used to much.

Digital is great! It definitely offers a lot of conveniences over physical media and it is definitely worth creating lots of online backups for longterm preservation of things. However, it really bugs me when people act like digital storage of things does not come with its own set of limitations and downsides just like physical media does.

As far as people being suckers for buying Aniplex stuff, one of the best ways to support the anime company that made the show, is to purchase the discs. That is where they are going to get a cut of the profits. “Buy the merch if you wanna support them.” lol then you don’t know how anime production works. The anime company, unless they were in the production company and the show was an original production on their end, will not see a dime of that poo poo. If you buy Jujutsu Kaisen merch, Shueisha (and others on the production company) is getting all that money because they are the ones that own the property and paid for the show to be made. The simple fact is, if you really really like the show and want the people who made the show to get kickbacks, you need to buy the show.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

yesssssssssssssss

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

god drat Dandadan is so loving good

:yeah:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

While DVD rot is definitely a thing, a part of it is also proper storage. I have DVD’s I bought when I was 18 that are almost 20 years old now and work just fine. They might not play (or be obsolete) later on but if you’re storing them in areas where the temperature fluctuates wildly, or it gets incredibly humid that will greatly increase the chance of your discs going to poo poo. I’ve pretty much had my discs in basement rooms my entire life where I live where it’s always fairly cool and they play just fine.

Also, a file on a hard drive actually would last less longer in the earlier days unless you had backups. With SSD drives this isn’t as true anymore, but guess what old hard drives used to store information? Discs. I worked selling computers for a while and it pretty much wasn’t a question if those hard drives would fail, it was when, as they pretty much had a shelf life from being used to much.

Digital is great! It definitely offers a lot of conveniences over physical media and it is definitely worth creating lots of online backups for longterm preservation of things. However, it really bugs me when people act like digital storage of things does not come with its own set of limitations and downsides just like physical media does.

As far as people being suckers for buying Aniplex stuff, one of the best ways to support the anime company that made the show, is to purchase the discs. That is where they are going to get a cut of the profits. “Buy the merch if you wanna support them.” lol then you don’t know how anime production works. The anime company, unless they were in the production company and the show was an original production on their end, will not see a dime of that poo poo. If you buy Jujutsu Kaisen merch, Shueisha (and others on the production company) is getting all that money because they are the ones that own the property and paid for the show to be made. The simple fact is, if you really really like the show and want the people who made the show to get kickbacks, you need to buy the show.

While HDDs are subject to mechanical wear, they aren't the same kind of discs as optical media. They are made out of glass and store data magnetically in a hermetically sealed case. They hold up much better than plastic discs stuck together with adhesive and the reflective coating right beneath the label. An unplugged HDD will last a looooong time. SATA being replaced is of higher concern.
As with any backup, don't keep a single copy in one location, spread copies around.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Lurking Haro posted:

While HDDs are subject to mechanical wear, they aren't the same kind of discs as optical media. They are made out of glass and store data magnetically in a hermetically sealed case. They hold up much better than plastic discs stuck together with adhesive and the reflective coating right beneath the label. An unplugged HDD will last a looooong time. SATA being replaced is of higher concern.
As with any backup, don't keep a single copy in one location, spread copies around.

Yeah, there’s more nuance to what I posted but the general point was still “yes digital is great but it’s not the be all end all solution”

This actually makes me curious about Blu-Ray discs because I know they’ve been made differently from DVD where they’re harder to scratch but I haven’t heard how they’ll last long term. Gonna go look into it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Manga Plus is doing a user survey and this is literally one of the questions lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Manga Plus is doing a user survey and this is literally one of the questions lol

lol