Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Another SH/SC success story!

The goonjob pipeline:
[GWS] Restaurant industry thread > [SH/SC] IT industry thread > ?????

not sure where DPPH fits here but it's probably lateral to GWS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

devmd01 posted:

Hell yeah it is! Some days I’d love to get out of IT and maybe I’m lacking in imagination but why go to a different career when this one pays incredibly well and most days is generally really easy?

Thanks Ants posted:

I can’t think of other career paths (other than CEO I guess) where you can work from home and sometimes do nothing for an entire day if nobody needs you for anything. Even most C-levels have to keep up the act by having meetings.

:hfive:

I've had enough lovely jobs in various industries to know that I currently have it good in IT.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Thanks Ants posted:

I can’t think of other career paths (other than CEO I guess) where you can work from home and sometimes do nothing for an entire day if nobody needs you for anything. Even most C-levels have to keep up the act by having meetings.

Yeah I have been eyeing some things, but then you realize how you'd just get payed way less and just stick with IT. I might give up some salary at some point to make it a bit more cushy or reduce hours or something.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah I have been eyeing some things, but then you realize how you'd just get payed way less and just stick with IT. I might give up some salary at some point to make it a bit more cushy or reduce hours or something.

My experience has been the more I get paid, the less work I actually have do. There's a moderate level of meetings I have to attend, but it's currently below my bullshit threshold.

It beats the gently caress out of destroying my body with physical labor. Genetics did a good enough job of that already.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Wizard of the Deep posted:

My experience has been the more I get paid, the less work I actually have do. There's a moderate level of meetings I have to attend, but it's currently below my bullshit threshold.

It beats the gently caress out of destroying my body with physical labor. Genetics did a good enough job of that already.

While I tend to agree, the only way up for me would be management and I don't want that. It woulf probably be less actual work, but I hate the versions I have seen so far. I don't want to be responsible for everyone's failings, I'll own my own and that's it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lot's of orgs offer staff+ IC advancement now, but its not everywhere

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SEKCobra posted:

While I tend to agree, the only way up for me would be management and I don't want that. It woulf probably be less actual work, but I hate the versions I have seen so far. I don't want to be responsible for everyone's failings, I'll own my own and that's it.
That's not how management works. You just blame a peon and fire them if they don't make you look good.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

SEKCobra posted:

That might make you a good manager... Maybe.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Canuck-Errant posted:

The goonjob pipeline:
[GWS] Restaurant industry thread > [SH/SC] IT industry thread > ?????

not sure where DPPH fits here but it's probably lateral to GWS

On top, of course.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Email from database vendor (99% of my job is running the servers for this database):

Database product <next LTS> will not be supported on <platform we run>. <current LTS> version will be supported into 2028.

Still got the number for that truck driving school?

6 years seems like a long time, but for an architectural or database backend change, that's about 13sec, give or take 11 sec.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Driving truck is not looking so hot as a career option right now either.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Winifred Madgers posted:

Driving truck is not looking so hot as a career option right now either.

True. But that was a reference to something else 😂

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Travelling through life, there's a lot of bumps and dips I always seem to fall I into,
Climbing out, only to get hit by some supermarket-produce-carrying, diesel, eighteen-wheeler.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Still got the number for that truck driving school?

Thanks Mav.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Buddy that got my old job got yelled at by the owner for kicking his feet up on his desk and releasing the other day

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What did they release?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

My wife once freaked out because her tablet screen wouldn't come on. She was wearing polarized sunglasses and had the tablet turned exactly to the angle that matched the screen was blacked out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

n0tqu1tesane posted:

My wife once freaked out because her tablet screen wouldn't come on. She was wearing polarized sunglasses and had the tablet turned exactly to the angle that matched the screen was blacked out.
This happened with my wife looking at my cell phone and it was hilarious. She thought I was loving with her when I told her that yes, in fact the screen is on.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For me, it happens when I turn the phone to landscape mode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

poo poo, I knew I shouldn't have paid my Lasik guy for that "polarization upgrade"

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You can get surgery to never be able to see a screen ever again? Where do I sign up?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jeoh posted:

You can get surgery to never be able to see a screen ever again? Where do I sign up?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

What's the Latin translation for "Save yourself from helpdesk"?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

What's the Latin translation for "Save yourself from helpdesk"?

Libera te tutemet ex inferis.

Same as in the film.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I was just forwarded Copy of Copy of PASS DOWN JAG 06_20_22 (version 1) (version 1).xlsx this afternoon.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
At a project meeting just now:

Project Tech: "We really need make sure that we're asking about size preferences when quoting equipment to customers. We had a huge problem with a printer we ordered for %client% not fitting where the old printer was."

Me: "We already have a process for this. There's a checklist of questions we're supposed to run through with every customer that wants new equipment that asks all of this. I made it myself and technicians are supposed to be following this process."

Project Manager: "Yeah we really need to nail down a process for this. Let's schedule a meeting with [everyone except larches] and come up with something."

Me: "We already have a process for this. Everyone should follow the established process."

Technology Director: "Well we aren't doing a lot of stuff we should be doing."

Me: "Not helpful, we need to retrain on the established process with technicians at the next helpdesk huddle. This is a concrete action item that can be scheduled for next week."

Project Manager: "Yeah, let's schedule a meeting with [everyone except larches] and come up with something."

Me: :suicide:

EDIT: I just outlined the whole process in Teams in a very self-serving and petulant way and I'm about to Rip and Tear™ these fools when this promotion goes through.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 23, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

undocumented processes, no processes, I get that kind of poo poo

deliberately overlooking them, even when someone is pointing to it right there? fuuuuuuuuuuck

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

undocumented processes, no processes, I get that kind of poo poo

deliberately overlooking them, even when someone is pointing to it right there? fuuuuuuuuuuck

I bet the "problem" with the existing process is that the project manager wouldn't get the credit for it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I had the same thing happen with multiple managers, where I would point at an already established solution people weren't following and they just wouldn't acknowledge it but rather let the problem fester.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ponzicar posted:

I bet the "problem" with the existing process is that the project manager wouldn't get the credit for it.

And they're on the hook for every case where it wasn't followed.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I had a meeting with multiple directors and a vendor who is getting us improve the ticketing system and brought up how bad it is people try to bypass using it as the source of truth with the status of work and just do everything in email chains, the vendors agreed how important fixing that is.

Two Directors who were there (including mine) were in an email chain asking for an update about a ticket (which was resolved for hours but they had not bothered to look).

People talk about how important process is and then think it doesn't apply to them because they want answers.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our ticket system is such a mess to use that every department started making their own tools to start interfacing with remedy to avoid having to have the users use it directly.

You can imagine the end result.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I try to do the knowledge share stuff with our helpdesk team which includes SharePoint pages to document things clearly, and Teams meetings to introduce new concepts, and ultimately when all of that is ignored or forgotten I just remind myself that it's not affecting me in any way - it's only making things harder for the team that are meant to be supporting things, and getting worked up about it is unhelpful. Just make sure that my rear end is covered.

Someone buying a PoE switch that doesn't have a high enough power budget? Well you were provided with single page overview of the models of switch we supply, their port count and PoE budgets listed, and pointers provided instructing you to check the PoE budget if you're intending on loading the thing up with access points. If you still quoted the wrong one then that sucks to be you.

Didn't bother labelling the ports when you deployed the switch like you were told to do? I know how to get the LLDP/CDP data out of it to figure out what is plugged in where if necessary, you don't, so you're going to have to drive out to the location to check, not my issue.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I try to do the knowledge share stuff with our helpdesk team which includes SharePoint pages to document things clearly, and Teams meetings to introduce new concepts, and ultimately when all of that is ignored or forgotten I just remind myself that it's not affecting me in any way - it's only making things harder for the team that are meant to be supporting things, and getting worked up about it is unhelpful. Just make sure that my rear end is covered.

Someone buying a PoE switch that doesn't have a high enough power budget? Well you were provided with single page overview of the models of switch we supply, their port count and PoE budgets listed, and pointers provided instructing you to check the PoE budget if you're intending on loading the thing up with access points. If you still quoted the wrong one then that sucks to be you.

Didn't bother labelling the ports when you deployed the switch like you were told to do? I know how to get the LLDP/CDP data out of it to figure out what is plugged in where if necessary, you don't, so you're going to have to drive out to the location to check, not my issue.

Even after double-digit years in IT this is still a lesson I have to work on ingraining, because the job is so very much about helping people that it is really difficult to set the boundary and say "no, I already helped you, I solved your problem, I even made sure you wouldn't develop a new problem if you followed my instructions, but you did not follow my instructions, created said new problem, and now are trying to make it my problem. It is, in fact, not my problem - you need to fix it yourself and whether or not this successfully teaches you to follow the instructions next time is, once again, entirely up to you."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

minusX posted:

I had a meeting with multiple directors and a vendor who is getting us improve the ticketing system and brought up how bad it is people try to bypass using it as the source of truth with the status of work and just do everything in email chains, the vendors agreed how important fixing that is.

Two Directors who were there (including mine) were in an email chain asking for an update about a ticket (which was resolved for hours but they had not bothered to look).

People talk about how important process is and then think it doesn't apply to them because they want answers.

This happens so often it's maddening. And then "brilliant" people propose stupidly convoluted technology "solutions" for obvious policy problems instead of, oh I don't know, enforcing the loving policy.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

Project Tech: "We really need make sure that we're asking about size preferences when quoting equipment to customers. We had a huge problem with a printer we ordered for %client% not fitting where the old printer was."

Me: "We already have a process for this. There's a checklist of questions we're supposed to run through with every customer that wants new equipment that asks all of this. I made it myself and technicians are supposed to be following this process."

Project Manager: "Yeah we really need to nail down a process for this. Let's schedule a meeting with [everyone except larches] and come up with something."

Me: "We already have a process for this. Everyone should follow the established process."

Me: "Not helpful, we need to retrain on the established process with technicians at the next helpdesk huddle. This is a concrete action item that can be scheduled for next week."

Project Manager: "Yeah, let's schedule a meeting with [everyone except larches] and come up with something."

EDIT: I just outlined the whole process in Teams in a very self-serving and petulant way and I'm about to Rip and Tear™ these fools when this promotion goes through.
"Oh that process is too complicated" and/or "has too many steps".

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

It just means they don't actually want it fixed, they just want to talk about it being fixed.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Even after double-digit years in IT this is still a lesson I have to work on ingraining, because the job is so very much about helping people that it is really difficult to set the boundary and say "no, I already helped you, I solved your problem, I even made sure you wouldn't develop a new problem if you followed my instructions, but you did not follow my instructions, created said new problem, and now are trying to make it my problem. It is, in fact, not my problem - you need to fix it yourself and whether or not this successfully teaches you to follow the instructions next time is, once again, entirely up to you."

Doesn’t this inevitably lead to one’s manager asking them to be a team player/blaming the process somehow/promising the user it will be made right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can’t really do much about poo poo management other than change jobs. I would be approaching burning myself out by the end of Monday when I cared about whether other people in the team were doing things according to the company SOPs and it was getting unhealthy. It takes effort not to care but it’s possible to do it while looking outwardly helpful and avoiding accusations of being awkward (writing documentation, sending people links to documents when they ask questions rather than answering them for the 5th time).