Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Terrible advice, buy all of the green things.

https://youtu.be/sLbasu-bDQA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Toe Rag posted:

It amazes me how many “mods” people will do to bikes before having even ridden them.

If that was aimed at me, the bike isn't new and the PO did all the mods.

Full list of what's been done: datatag, tail tidy, meter cover, heated grips, exhaust, frame and bar end plugs and top yoke cover, clear tank protector, radiator guard, shorty levers, decal removal, pro taper handlebar. Most of it seems reasonable, although stock tail is fine on the Z400 imo. Not ridden a stock Z400 to see if the handlebar alteration was needed or not.

Shorty lever pics, chinesium death trap or ok?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 20, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lungboy posted:

Not you, the PO :)

In my non expert opinion, those levers are bad.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Best aftermarket purchase for a motorcycle is gasoline

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Full list of what's been done: datatag, tail tidy, meter cover, heated grips, exhaust, frame and bar end plugs and top yoke cover, clear tank protector, radiator guard, shorty levers, decal removal, pro taper handlebar. Most of it seems reasonable, although stock tail is fine on the Z400 imo. Not ridden a stock Z400 to see if the handlebar alteration was needed or not.

Shorty lever pics, chinesium death trap or ok?

These aren't the ebay specials or even close, so they're likely fine. But they've also innovated away the oldest safety device on the bike by taking away the ball on the end for no gain.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, the ball ends are on like all bicycles, so they probably should be on your motorcycle too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Go the other way and sharpen the ends to a point :black101:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can you get ones with little skulls on the ends?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Can you get ones with little skulls on the ends?

Definitely do this

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
What if they were knives

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Somewhere out there is a combination color anodized/blade/skull lever

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Here you go, why settle for just the skull, have a whole skeleton

https://www.etsy.com/listing/638553065/skeleton-pencil-with-skeleton-eraser

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Slavvy posted:

These aren't the ebay specials or even close, so they're likely fine. But they've also innovated away the oldest safety device on the bike by taking away the ball on the end for no gain.

Yeah it's the lack of ball ends that I hate about then, so I'll be swapping them out asap. What are the eBay specials to stay away from and why are they so bad?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
hehehe wow

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

You know who else was obsessed with skull imagery? Yeah, that's right, you know who.

The Thuggee Cult

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I cut the balls off mine so they’d fit behind the brush guards, come at me

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

That's a eunuch solution

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

You know who else was obsessed with skull imagery? Yeah, that's right, you know who.

The Thuggee Cult

kali maaaaaaaaaaaa

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Since we’re talking stupid brake levers, my father in law had these on his softail deuce:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

moxieman posted:

Since we’re talking stupid brake levers, my father in law had these on his softail deuce:

He removed the brake levers!?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I cut the balls off mine so they’d fit behind the brush guards, come at me

loving hell, in my day we just ripped the still-beating heart out and called it a day!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Did a Yamaha demo day today but the jerks only let us have three rides apiece. :arghfist:

MT-10 - Rode this first. The engine lived up to its reputation, it was enormously fast from like 4.5k and up and sounded great. It was surprisingly quiet and muted below that though, and I caught some hints of snatchy throttle at low speed. The brakes felt great. I liked the ergos a lot, very comfortable and not too upright. Overall I liked it but I think I need more experience before I'd buy one, I don't think I can ride at the pace that motor deserves and I'd just get myself in trouble.

MT-09 - Loved the engine. The chassis felt very wheelie-prone and that combined with the flat seat made me feel like I was going to fall off the back. I never got a hint of that on the MT-10 (admittedly I don't know what wheelie control setting it was on). The ergos were fine. Other than the light front end this mostly felt like an incremental improvement on my MT-07, which is fine, it's a good bike, but they're a bit too close together for me to really desire one. It was slightly less hideous in person but still very ugly, and the TFT dash was annoyingly small and cheap-looking.

R3 - This thing was hilarious. It was tons of fun but it is quite simply too tiny, almost toylike. Unlike the MT-03 my legs fit the tank cutouts pretty well, but my wrists were almost resting on top of my knees and I dragged my toes on the ground mid-turn trying to reach the shifter. If it were a track-only toy or if I lived *in* the twisties it would be big fun but as a vehicle to actually go places on it's a non-starter. Also I've been taking dual disks for granted, I had a brief moment of alarm when I grabbed a bunch of lever and it only sort of slowed down. This would be a fantastic bike if I were 5'7".

My MT-07 felt like a god damned ADV bike after climbing off that R3, but man after this demo I can really appreciate what a well-balanced street bike it is. I have been toying with the idea of selling it this fall, but now I think I'll hold onto it until I can buy a proper sport-tourer.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
My step father is going to get an fj-09. Is it an OK bike? It looks good. He's a retiring motocross racer.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yes

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Bike is good. Did ~70 miles home from the dealership. Mostly highway. Bike was very well behaved. I can’t believe everything that came flooding back after being off a bike for 11 years. I really missed this. Now to order some pants and a summer jacket.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

R3 - This thing was hilarious. It was tons of fun but it is quite simply too tiny, almost toylike. Unlike the MT-03 my legs fit the tank cutouts pretty well, but my wrists were almost resting on top of my knees and I dragged my toes on the ground mid-turn trying to reach the shifter. If it were a track-only toy or if I lived *in* the twisties it would be big fun but as a vehicle to actually go places on it's a non-starter. Also I've been taking dual disks for granted, I had a brief moment of alarm when I grabbed a bunch of lever and it only sort of slowed down. This would be a fantastic bike if I were 5'7".

Yeah I'm 5'8" and even then I found the R3 to be cramped. It's like a 7/8th scale bike. Mine is too (CB300R), but the seating position is more upright so it hasn't ever mattered. With the R3 my knees and elbows crashed together which I didn't expect at all. I'd like to get more time on one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah I'm 5'8" and even then I found the R3 to be cramped. It's like a 7/8th scale bike. Mine is too (CB300R), but the seating position is more upright so it hasn't ever mattered. With the R3 my knees and elbows crashed together which I didn't expect at all. I'd like to get more time on one.

Cramped knees and short reach to the bars is Yamaha's thing, the r1 feels exactly the same just wider.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Hello. I put a deposit down on the Tuono 660 Factory but might not pull the trigger once it arives. Was thinking maybe getting a Scrambler. How good an idea are these for leisure street riding?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

very

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I rode an RS660 for 20 minutes and on that basis would strongly consider buying one. The Tuono 660 Factory is essentially the same with a better shock and handle bars, so yes. Maybe some reliability issues but I guess you can look into and decide for yourself.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

The latest issue of Roadrunner has a review/ride with both of those bikes.

Yeah, I know, magazine review, but they're nowhere near as much of a shill as other magazines.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Would I be an idiot for looking at a 2011 Multistrada w/36k miles?
Searches seem to say it's fairly reliable other than a few recalls and the usual 'ethanol is destroying our gas tanks' talk on other forums but I wanted to avoid as much :italy: as possible.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Springfield Fatts posted:

but I wanted to avoid as much :italy: as possible.

Then buy its lowly Honda counterpart, the Africa-Twin.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Springfield Fatts posted:

Would I be an idiot for looking at a 2011 Multistrada w/36k miles?
Searches seem to say it's fairly reliable other than a few recalls and the usual 'ethanol is destroying our gas tanks' talk on other forums but I wanted to avoid as much :italy: as possible.

I want to stick my dick in a meat grinder but I want it to not hurt as much as possible

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I want to stick my dick in a meat grinder but I want it to not hurt as much as possible

Just the tip. :heysexy:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What's the SA hive mind's opinion on the VFR800X Crossrunner?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine a really well built bike that's good for literally nothing and you're halfway there.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Your first bike is to teach you what your second bike should be, right?

Well, as much as I like the idea of going across the country and into the hinterlands and all that, my income and my available vacation time means I'm never going to be more than maybe 3 days from home. That won't change for years unless I have a serious career change and I'm too old to want to change careers (again).

So I think that whenever it's time to trade in my Roadster, it's going to be for a Bonneville. I keep debating between the T100 and the T120, but one of those.

I keep looking down when I'm out and expecting that to be what I'm riding, so that seems like a sign it's what I should be on.

Keeping in mind that I'm months or even a year out from paying things down enough for it to make sense, what am I not seeing? What am I going to be sad about on that bike? Lack of locking storage is the main thing I'm seeing (though it's easier on a Bonne than on a Roadster).

Maybe something like an NC750X or a V-Strom is in my future too, but the Bonne has been loving calling to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Your first bike is to teach you what your second bike should be, right?

Well, as much as I like the idea of going across the country and into the hinterlands and all that, my income and my available vacation time means I'm never going to be more than maybe 3 days from home. That won't change for years unless I have a serious career change and I'm too old to want to change careers (again).

So I think that whenever it's time to trade in my Roadster, it's going to be for a Bonneville. I keep debating between the T100 and the T120, but one of those.

I keep looking down when I'm out and expecting that to be what I'm riding, so that seems like a sign it's what I should be on.

Keeping in mind that I'm months or even a year out from paying things down enough for it to make sense, what am I not seeing? What am I going to be sad about on that bike? Lack of locking storage is the main thing I'm seeing (though it's easier on a Bonne than on a Roadster).

Maybe something like an NC750X or a V-Strom is in my future too, but the Bonne has been loving calling to me.

Get the bonny, put a givi rack and top box on it. Problem solved.