Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CareyB posted:

believe me, the endless comedy is coming from your side not mine :angel:

technically true, millions of preventable deaths is nothing to laugh at. Very non-comedic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
ah ok. china’s top infectious disease expert agrees with me anyway.

https://twitter.com/yicaichina/status/1538708556710649858?s=21

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I do not think you understand the point of a quarantine. the people in quarantine already have it!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Further to that China is extremely densely populated and considerably more vulnerable to a lethal airborne pathogen than any of the western states. The lockdowns and quarantines are necessary to prevent mass death. The west on the other hand sacrifices its young and old on the altar of mammon on a regular basis.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

CareyB posted:

ah ok. china’s top infectious disease expert agrees with me anyway.
https://twitter.com/yicaichina/status/1538708556710649858?s=21

Dynamic Disease Manifestations Among Non-Severe COVID-19 Patients Without Unstable Medical Conditions posted:

Our study had at least three limitations. First, we only enrolled non-severe, stabilized Omicron patients and therefore could not describe the overall clinical spectrum of Omicron infections, especially severe Omicron infections. Second, not all patients received CT scan and laboratory tests. Third, all symptoms were self-reported, potentially introducing bias.

SorePotato posted:

Who cares loser, your spinning bowtie cannot lead me astray from Xi Jinping Thought. I live eternal in the people's heavenly army, while you, a CIA brain floating in a jar, are set to be replaced in two weeks

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
I get it, ideology over all and all that. also not suggesting lockdown is bad. maybe your attachment to idealogy is clouding your ability to analyse and think outside your little box but don’t worry that’s a trend across the forums where ideology is involved, it’s not limited to this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

:gb2gbs:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CareyB posted:

I get it, ideology over all and all that. also not suggesting lockdown is bad. maybe your attachment to idealogy is clouding your ability to analyse and think outside your little box but don’t worry that’s a trend across the forums where ideology is involved, it’s not limited to this thread

sounds like you don't actually have anything to say, but don't want to admit you're wrong so you're trying to change the subject to some vague nonsense accusation that could apply to everyone for all of human history

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I do not think you understand the point of a quarantine. the people in quarantine already have it!

Best line in the quarantine catastrophe is, to her husband, “Thank you for being here. I’m glad you’re here” He has COVID, he’s supposed to be there!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

CareyB posted:

what

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

CareyB posted:

lmao

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
imagine looking at america needlessly murdering a million of its own citizens in a crime of negligence and callous inhumanity and then pretending like you’re not the inferior country that’s brainwashed by an ideology of Applebees.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CareyB posted:

Would you describe yourself as non-ideological?

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

Cerebral Bore posted:

the inscrutable occidental simply lacks a basic respect for life

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

the inscrutable occidental simply lacks a basic respect for life

C0N5T1P4T3D
Jun 19, 2022

by Pragmatica
I love ideology you dumb rear end bitch

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

CareyB posted:

people who believe themselves not attached to ideology are those most caught in the thick of ideology - to the point they don’t recognize their own assumptions and framework of ideas. the most pathetic of these self proclaimed “non-ideological” actors are those who believe themselves to be motivated mainly by reason or some form of objectivity. this is how you get ayn rand

in conclusion, pee pee poo poo your brain is full of piss, your mother was binge drinking the whole pregnancy, please go to
d&d to post with the rest of the Rational, Serious folks

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CareyB posted:

how many times have you caught covid

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol :britain:

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/hongkong-textbooks-06152022112327.html posted:

New Hong Kong school history textbooks say the city 'never was a British colony'

The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) says it won't recognize 'unequal treaties' signed by the Qing Dynasty.

New Hong Kong school history textbooks say the city 'never was a British colony'

A nationalistic program of Moral, Civic and National Education brought in to replace Liberal Studies in Hong Kong's primary and secondary schools has removed references to the city's status as a former British colony, local media reported.

Four textbooks recently released online from three publishing houses contain the sentence "Hong Kong was not a colony," the Ming Pao and other newspapers reported.

The move comes after articles in media controlled by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) expressed the same idea.

"Before 1997, the United Kingdom regarded Hong Kong as a colony, and its use of the term "overseas dependent territory" was just another term for a colony," a 2021 opinion piece in the CCP-backed Ta Kung Pao said in an op-ed piece dated April 10, 2020.

"But Hong Kong was never actually a colony; it's just that the British practiced colonial rule here."

The article dismissed British sovereignty over Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, ceded by the Qing Dynasty in perpetuity, or the New Territories, which were governed by Britain under a 99-year lease that expired in 1997.

The colonial status of Hong Kong was "wishful thinking" on the part of the British, the article, signed by Xiao Ping, said.

"The Chinese government after the Qing Dynasty did not recognize the unequal treaty that 'ceded' Hong Kong, and never gave up its territorial sovereignty over Hong Kong," it said, adding that China had successfully had Hong Kong removed from a United Nations list of colonies in 1972.

It said the removal of Hong Kong from that list meant that the city wasn't eligible for independence under post-war, post-colonial settlements like other former colonies.

CCP arguments taught as fact

Now, this CCP-endorsed argument has made it into Hong Kong schools, to be taught as fact, as part of the new nationalistic education program in the city.

Students are required to absorb, and find arguments to support, the political points made in the program, without considering arguments for and against, the Ming Pao reported.

The Liberal Studies critical thinking program, rolled out in Hong Kong schools in 2009, has been blamed by Chinese officials and media for several mass protests in recent years, from the 2011 campaign against patriotic education by secondary school students, to the 2014 youth-led Umbrella movement, to the 2019 protests that began as a campaign against extradition to mainland China and broadened to include demands for fully democratic elections.

Details of the new textbooks emerged after staff removed more than 200 titles from school libraries, including those written by pro-democracy advocates and former lawmakers.

Meanwhile, CCP leader Xi Jinping sent a congratulatory letter to the Ta Kung Pao on its 120th anniversary on Monday, commending the newspaper for its contribution to "maintaining social stability in Hong Kong" and "winning back hearts and minds".

The letter was read out by Luo Huining, director of Beijing's Central Liaison Office in Hong Kong, who also lauded the paper's patriotism.

"In a diverse society like Hong Kong, it is especially necessary for the patriotic media to uphold the truth ... and promote clarity," Luo said. "We especially need journalists who will uphold their mission and act responsibly."

Public opinion still appears to be lagging behind CCP propaganda, however.

The Ta Kung Pao has been bottom of the class in recent polls by public opinion researchers at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, according to Taiwan-based political commentator Sang Pu.

"They want to bring Hong Kong under complete subjugation to the CCP, and the Ta Kung Pao is a good tool for Xi Jinping to achieve this," Sang told RFA. "The Ta Kung Pao, along with Xinhua news agency, the People's Daily and CCTV, have played a key role in ... placing the CCP's press releases in Hong Kong [media]."

Party mouthpieces proliferate

He said the Ta Kung Pao had printed political denunciations of prominent, pro-democracy media organizations shortly before they were forced to close amid the threat of prosecution under the national security law, which ushered in an ongoing crackdown on public dissent and peaceful opposition in the wake of the 2019 protest movement.

"Xi Jinping is of the view that the media are the mouthpiece of the party, so the Ta Kung Pao counts as a media organizations, while all the rest are chaotic elements that don't count as media at all," Sang said. "In the view of the CCP, there is no such thing as freedom of the press."

Sang said the removal of certain books from primary and secondary schools shows that the entire publishing industry must be walking a fine line to avoid prosecution under the national security law.

Among those removed were books about the democratic processes that developed in Hong Kong between the 1990s and 2019, when the last democratic elections to the District Council following months of mass popular protest over vanishing freedoms resulted in a landslide for the pro-democracy camp.

An autobiography by Wang Lingyun, mother of 1989 student protest leader Wang Dan, and by late ousted liberal premier Zhao Ziyang, were also among those removed from schools.

Wang said the removal of the books showed that freedom of expression was being stifled in the city.

"There used to be no taboo around June 4, 1989-related or other politically sensitive books in Hong Kong, but now they're being removed by the education authorities," Wang told RFA.

"Under the national security law, the Hong Kong authorities must support the government in Beijing, which has made up its mind to stifle freedom of speech in Hong Kong, and have no choice but to take them off the shelves to protect themselves," he said.

He said the CCP's aim is to erase memories of mass protests, and to prevent younger people in Hong Kong from being influenced by ideas like freedom and democracy.

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

ideology! ideology! ideology! none of you are free from ideology!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

CareyB posted:

you are not immune from ideology dumbass, choose one or one will be chosen for you

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Al-Saqr posted:

imagine looking at america needlessly murdering a million of its own citizens in a crime of negligence and callous inhumanity and then pretending like you’re not the inferior country that’s brainwashed by an ideology of Applebees.

imagine seeing america murdering millions of its citizens while it did its stupid "lockdowns" and "mask mandates" and asking for more of that please, oh god give me the stupid lockdowns that won't work as long as I can feel good that something is being done

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

CareyB posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This jar is way past due for a fresh brain

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

imagine seeing america murdering millions of its citizens while it did its stupid "lockdowns" and "mask mandates" and asking for more of that please, oh god give me the stupid lockdowns that won't work as long as I can feel good that something is being done

uh huh you got it. we want more of america's lovely response instead of china's good response. that's us all right

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

uh huh you got it. we want more of america's lovely response instead of china's good response. that's us all right

do you live in china

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you are not immune from ideology dumbass, choose one or one will be chosen for you

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

do you live in china

the public health interventions in china seem to be working from over here, fwiw.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

the public health interventions in china seem to be working from over here, fwiw.

that's great, as a stupid american my opinions can't hurt them

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

do you live in china

god i wish

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mawarannahr posted:

god i wish that were me :smith:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Just a reminder this is what we were being told in March and April of 2020

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

the sensible take here is that America does not need quarantine camps, per se. rather, it needs reeducation camps that can be converted into quarantine camps as necessary. two birds, one stone

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Is there a reason that the PRC not recognising the unequal treaties would mean it's not a colony? I suppose this is being pedantic over what a colony means.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I get the argument but it basically implies there's such a thing as a legal colony which lol

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Not So Fast posted:

Is there a reason that the PRC not recognising the unequal treaties would mean it's not a colony? I suppose this is being pedantic over what a colony means.

It’s just hammering on the point that Hong Kong was always Chinese, the UK just administered it for a while through force of arms.

It’s a bit of a stretch tbh because political power grows from the barrel of a gun so that is generally how all governance works.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

It’s just hammering on the point that Hong Kong was always Chinese, the UK just administered it for a while through force of arms.

It’s a bit of a stretch tbh because political power grows from the barrel of a gun so that is generally how all governance works.

China can have a little jingoism, as a treat.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lol at claiming the West did literally any sort of quarantining. Especially after the multiple nursing home scandals.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American quarantine is called the morgue

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cpt_Obvious posted:

lol at claiming the West did literally any sort of quarantining. Especially after the multiple nursing home scandals.

how to tell a poster doesn’t live in america: they think there were lockdowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

if the lockdowns aren't real then why has every conservative i know been complaining about them for 2 years?