Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I absolutely love dickbutt edits and I'm only mildly ashamed to admit it! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne:

L-Innsikt:

Pondus:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

[loudly tilts my head as I look at this]

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

The_Other posted:

One thing to keep in mind with Charlie Brown’s various misfortunes is that we’re meant sympathize with the character of Charlie Brown, as opposed to Dustin where we are supposed to be scornful of the title character.

Hey uhhhh remember when I said the editorial reading of Dustin was completely different than what we thought it read as?

ANYWAY

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

"...and why don't they pull up their pants, too?!"

What THE gently caress

Vargo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 20, 2022

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it bears repeating that Wallace The Brave is incredibly good

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:3: That is the sweetest, nicest profanity I've ever seen.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I have several questions

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hostile V posted:

[loudly tilts my head as I look at this]

Vargo posted:

What THE gently caress

The Pondusman has always been the straightest, whitest dude, so it would not at all surprise me if he thinks trans is just what you call crossdressing now.
That or it's the world's speediest transition.

I've genuinely always loathed Pondus, it never does anything except punch down on others.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah. Řverli, who writes and draws Pondus, has a lot of outdated views about LGBTQ issues.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Poil posted:

I absolutely love dickbutt edits and I'm only mildly ashamed to admit it! :allears:
:same:

Vargo posted:

Hey uhhhh remember when I said the editorial reading of Dustin was completely different than what we thought it read as?

ANYWAY
I always figured it was. We read way too much into a lot of stuff in this thread. I'm a little surprised anyone is just discovering this is true.

I am sure that Dustin to them is just an ordinary family strip with snarky humor. Just like to most people foob is a slice-of-life strip depicting a Canadian family in the 80s-90s.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 20, 2022

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I thought "supporting the other team" was supposed to be a stupid euphemism for sexual orientation, not gender identity. Geez Řverli, get it right

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He thinks being trans means a person swaps back and forth at the drop of a hat depending on which suits their current needs.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Aw, Amelia. :kimchi:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

jesus christ mozz just flash him the morrowind "you killed a character you shouldn't" message and go home

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

every interaction with this boss just sends up more red flags

some shoe gonna drop somewhere

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Q-Rais is Angry About the Example Miss Haru's Friend is Using to Talk About Perspective

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

KazmeyerTLOC
Aug 13, 2007
Someone is selling over 17 years of Sunday comics from the Missoula MT newspaper. $550 seems pretty steep to me but maybe others will think it's a deal.

https://missoula.craigslist.org/clt/d/missoula-17-years-of-vintage-sunday/7497673416.html

I live nearby so I could pick them up but I can't even imagine how heavy they would be to ship to someone.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"Blank books", a completely normal and hinged thing to call a notebook.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

The joke actually makes some amount of sense if he's talking about actual blank books? But the artist clearly assumed it meant notebooks.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Safety Dance posted:

NRVNQSR posted:

The joke actually makes some amount of sense if he's talking about actual blank books? But the artist clearly assumed it meant notebooks.

Except if they have a proper hardcover book binding, they're usually called "blank books" instead of "notebooks". Google or Amazon will back me up here, even if Wikipedia doesn't. What the wiki article is talking about, where the pages are left blank as a punchline, haven't ever really been a common enough thing to have their own name. And they certainly wouldn't all be in their own section at a bookstore.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

"I mean, it's not really a war crime if you get away with it..."

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

That Father’s Day Wallace made me do a 🥲

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Except if they have a proper hardcover book binding, they're usually called "blank books" instead of "notebooks". Google or Amazon will back me up here, even if Wikipedia doesn't. What the wiki article is talking about, where the pages are left blank as a punchline, haven't ever really been a common enough thing to have their own name. And they certainly wouldn't all be in their own section at a bookstore.

I'm sorry to put more thought into Dustin than the author does, but that's clearly a Moleskine notebook or similar. You're saying that Moleskine, noted manufacturer of "Notebooks, diaries, journals and planners" secretly makes "blank books"?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm sorry to put more thought into Dustin than the author does, but that's clearly a Moleskine notebook or similar. You're saying that Moleskine, noted manufacturer of "Notebooks, diaries, journals and planners" secretly makes "blank books"?

...It's a line drawing of a book. Where on Earth are you getting a specific brand name from?

e: Quoting the strip we're talking about for reference:

I admit that the line between a notebook and a blank book is more than a little blurry, but this is not some obscure phraseology that only Steve Kelley and I have heard of. Search for "blank book" on Amazon and you'll find a million of them. Ask at your local bookstore and they'll point you to the shelf of them.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Safety Dance posted:

It's a category of merchandise at Barnes & Noble. There's a brand called "Paperblanks." This isn't as obscure as you think

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Oh that's guy's fuckin dead. Elon Musk takes another victim.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Yeah, exactly--the show is great, fun, pleasant to watch or have on, etc. It's not popular because everyone decided he's painting masterpieces.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Speaking of artists who will never be accused of creating masterpieces...

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

This is the best strip.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

oh how polite :kimchi:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

RoboRodent posted:

You're a MONGOOSE, and also a predator of small mammals! You're in exactly the same situation! You were also, as far as you knew, secretly a predator of the person you were dating! You're upset because he didn't tell you he was actually a snake, but you didn't tell him you were actually a mongoose so I have no idea how you can still be on this level of moral outrage!

I am so annoyed about this!!!
Not to mention that she literally started *drooling* every time she thought she smelled a snake around, including one time he was just about to tell her! Of loving course he's not gonna tell you, you won't stop talking about how much you love eating snakes!
I'm glad I'm not the only person being pissed off by the mongoose acting the victim here, jfc Holbrook

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 19, 1919

And He Did! July 2, 1919

Cat Tales June 3, 1925

Oaky Doaks November 27, 1936

Mopsy February 5, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out June 11, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 18, 1952

Those Were the Days April 20, 1961

Wee Pals August 20, 1966

Dogbert June 7, 1967

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

...It's a line drawing of a book. Where on Earth are you getting a specific brand name from?

The little strappy dealy. It's not exactly on model, but it looks about right if the artist was drawing a Moleskine from a written description.

I believe you that blank books are a thing. I've been buying them for years and I've never heard that term before.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt:

Isn't the jaded and world-weary child who writes this like 16 or something?

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days April 20, 1961

Eat poo poo, Beeman, you dead old gently caress.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (April 13-15, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (June 30-July 2, 1919; timg'd for the usual reasons.)

Dok's "Worst 'Hamilton' Touring Company Ever" Duck (March 19, 1914)

Little Lefty (November 16-18, 1936)

Blondie From Zero (May 9-11, 1932)

Well, that issue was swept off the table in a whiplash-inducing hurry. Again.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Slammy posted:

Sweatin’ It Out June 11, 1945

woah, neat! i didn't know the strip continued post-service

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics
These two are the worst. Each day, if it's not one of them being absolutely terrible it's the other.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

NRVNQSR posted:

:drat: " The Wit and Wisdom of Nigel Farage. Ebury Press. 1 June 2014. ISBN 978-0091960094. Angered UKIP supporters who bought it in the belief that it contained actual pronouncements by Nigel Farage.[6] "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ukonvasara posted:

Yeah, exactly--the show is great, fun, pleasant to watch or have on, etc. It's not popular because everyone decided he's painting masterpieces.

The only criticism I remember hearing first-hand about Bob Ross is that my mother snarked about how he suggested detail rather than actually painting it, and my artist granddad (politely, he was that sort of guy) told her to shove it. If you didn't want to see his show there's nothing in it that would attract viewers, but it was wonderful chill background noise and seeing what he could do in half an hour.