Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jose posted:

The problem I have with ippo getting back into the ring is that he still has brain damage

i can't fault him for wanting to take that risk. i cheered joe yabuki on in his last fight and he was unable to see straight even before starting lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jose posted:

The problem I have with ippo getting back into the ring is that he still has brain damage

Ippo doesn't have CTE, in fact the doctor said he DIDN'T have CTE. In fact when George spoke about Ippo's retirement.

quote:

Q - But was it expected that Ippo would retire?

M - I also run a boxing gym alongside the manga, and I'm actually doing a 2nd's job..if Ippo actually existed, he would want to rest. If I were Ippo's corner man, I would be worried because he was too damaged. In fact, some boxers recover by resting. Due to the accumulation of damage, the sense of distance becomes strange. As a result, they receive unnecessary punches. However, taking a rest brings back the intuition. There have been many such boxer so far. I want to rest Ippo, I felt like that at the time.

He's talked about basically exactly what Ippo is going through in his retirement arc. I.E. that distance from boxing in the ring and living a normal life is giving him rest to bring back his intuition and help him to develop. And that Ippo was too damaged to continue in the ring as he was. Which doesn't mean "Oh he has brain damage."

And if you wonder why he struggled with drawing the straight line, he likely DID have a concussion then, but having a concussion does not mean you have CTE.

In short, he's not punch drunk. And his time away from the ring has probably helped him learn and recover more than the meat grinder ever would.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

They were explicit he wasn't brain damaged, but none the less should not box due to his stated symptoms. Ippo is dense and basic and took that as "never again" when it really was "not for a long while". It's why there was always the "he's going to return isn't he" thread hanging here. Ippo was definitive, but the story wasn't.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Break your brain for content, Ippo!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

They were explicit he wasn't brain damaged, but none the less should not box due to his stated symptoms. Ippo is dense and basic and took that as "never again" when it really was "not for a long while". It's why there was always the "he's going to return isn't he" thread hanging here. Ippo was definitive, but the story wasn't.

Yeah, he was basically told he needed to Step Back and Ippo took that as "If I can't win fights anymore I need to retire permanently." Rather than what it is, which is Ippo had taken too much damage from focusing on fighting stupid and he needed to step out of the ring and the spot to recuperate in more than "Working towards the next fight" which is how he used to rest.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Where's the drat chapter??!!!! :flaccid:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Onmi posted:

Yeah, he was basically told he needed to Step Back and Ippo took that as "If I can't win fights anymore I need to retire permanently." Rather than what it is, which is Ippo had taken too much damage from focusing on fighting stupid and he needed to step out of the ring and the spot to recuperate in more than "Working towards the next fight" which is how he used to rest.

It's good that the manga legitimately had him rest for a while (in the actual manga) and not just doing a time skip or something.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I feel like the biggest strength that HNI has is the chapters where the characters are just hanging out and shooting the poo poo while training in between fights, so it's been nice having an extended run of that, TBH.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

edogawa rando posted:

I feel like the biggest strength that HNI has is the chapters where the characters are just hanging out and shooting the poo poo while training in between fights, so it's been nice having an extended run of that, TBH.

its like 80% of the reason i read the manga. the boxing bits can be really good for sure but HnI is a masterpiece of a slice of life story imo, it's so funny and endearing

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

new chapter
it's good

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Audibly laughed at "Kamogawa what are you cooking up?" when he's hardly talked to Ippo in the last 100 chapters

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Top 10 chapter in the entire series

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

One of the best chapter in hundreds of them. Sublime. This arc has gotten me so insanely hyped for Ippo's return, and it's also such a lovably dumb character trait that Ippo has such low self esteem that of course he thinks he needs to go 100% to even make it worth Volg's while. him gearing up for the dempsey and sendo calling him a loving idiot got a genuine irl laugh out of me

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:gizz: He still blocked with his face way too much.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I can't beliieve how happy I am to see Ippo doing new stuff, even if he's still getting his head hit.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he didnt get his head hit, volg hit him in the head. there's a difference

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't mind Ippo getting a couple of punches to his head when he's fighting a world champion and he's not doing dumb poo poo that directly leads to him getting punched in the face.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Patware posted:

he didnt get his head hit, volg hit him in the head. there's a difference

Yeah, he didn't say "I just have to take this head on." He was "volg is going for a low blow i'll... SMACK" Ippo was thinking about his guard and dodging.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
We're also almost certainly going to get an upcoming chapter where Ippo gets himself checked out because he got hit, which opens the door for whatever "your damage isn't as bad as it was, you can probably get in the ring safely as long as you're careful" explanation Mori is going to use to pave the way for Ippo's return.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah, he didn't say "I just have to take this head on." He was "volg is going for a low blow i'll... SMACK" Ippo was thinking about his guard and dodging.

Yeah, it's not a problem if it's just a mistake (and it didn't seem to be a horrible hit). It would have been kind of unrealistic if Ippo just owned Vorg without even taking a hit.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Hahaha Volg going ah drat, I'm too good at hitting him in the head

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Yes! Yes!!!!!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well he was able to avoid blows he most certainly would not have been able to prior to his retirement. Plus Volg is a very good technical boxer, a world champion, and a higher weight class than him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This chaaaapter was so gooood. Loved it loved it. i marked out when Ippo parried the blows instead. I think this is “the monster” Takamaura was eluding to what he had to become. Good showing on both, Volg showing hes champ for a reason.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

CaptainRat posted:

We're also almost certainly going to get an upcoming chapter where Ippo gets himself checked out because he got hit, which opens the door for whatever "your damage isn't as bad as it was, you can probably get in the ring safely as long as you're careful" explanation Mori is going to use to pave the way for Ippo's return.

He actually was already medically cleared to return to boxing. Ippo chose to retire despite that.

Edit: Looking back, medically cleared to return to boxing isn't right. He was given a clean bill of health. Whoops.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 22, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

god the dempsey roll spread after so long

i could hear the jet engines

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

God I can't believe how hype I got for someone dodging, blocking and parrying in a loving boxing manga, but it was so good.

That parry counter must become part of Ippo's regular arsenal, and more use of the gazelle punch and liver punch.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
seeing how small those wrist weights are in Dankichi's hands, Ippo must have wrists like chopsticks.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SwissArmyDruid posted:

seeing how small those wrist weights are in Dankichi's hands, Ippo must have wrists like chopsticks.

He's not a very big guy. Remember he's a feather weight.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

that chapter was so loving good.

ippo getting hit is fine because he knew it was coming. he actively thought he's going low and i have to do something that's not face tank. volg is a world champ so ippo got hit but i think that shows the evolution ippo has gone through where before he wouldn't even know what was coming or just try to eat it.

whoever said they heard the jet engines I DID TOO!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

KidDynamite posted:

that chapter was so loving good.

ippo getting hit is fine because he knew it was coming. he actively thought he's going low and i have to do something that's not face tank. volg is a world champ so ippo got hit but i think that shows the evolution ippo has gone through where before he wouldn't even know what was coming or just try to eat it.

Right, I reread it a couple of time, Ippo was moving his arms to block a body blow and Volg slipped in the punch to the jawline between, absolutely beautiful

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

KidDynamite posted:

Thats just how iconic it is, I think we probably all heard it.

I think expecting Ippo not to take a hit from the world champion is crazy, the fact that he's literally able to step into the ring and terrify him is also crazy, If this is what Ippo can do when he's not actively preparing for a fight, then imagine how insane he's going to be when he's actually prepared and conditioned for a fight!

Honestly, I have not been this hyped for Ippo in years. When this manga is on form, its just so loving good.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

So good! now I'm totally sold on he's gotta come back (not that I wasn't basically there already but drat nail in that coffin)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Imagine the speed of his instep if he weren't wearing jeans

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol at sendo jumping in, that ruled

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shindragon posted:

This chaaaapter was so gooood. Loved it loved it. i marked out when Ippo parried the blows instead. I think this is “the monster” Takamaura was eluding to what he had to become. Good showing on both, Volg showing hes champ for a reason.

the monster thing from takamura is more mental than anything. he's absolutely not saying to ippo "you need to get good enough to avoid taking damage", he's explicilty going "you need to get to a point where you don't loving care if you break or die for the fight". takamura is at that point, he's been building up life altering injuries for a while (his leg, the eye) but that is fundamentally meaningless to him when compared to the severity of his desire for his goal. he thinks of ippo as treating boxing as a "hobby", and nowhere near that same level of dedication.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Boco_T posted:

Top 10 chapter in the entire series

loving :same: Some of those layouts were giving me heavy Miura vibes...

everybody in the thread posted:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

he thinks of ippo as treating boxing as a "hobby", and nowhere near that same level of dedication.
drat now i want ippo to show up bald for the world title fight, and his victory speech to be ”*nosepick* It’s a hobby.”

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Bisse posted:

drat now i want ippo to show up bald for the world title fight, and his victory speech to be ”*nosepick* It’s a hobby.”

lmfao on two counts

i cant believe ippo went bald like four times over the last 200 chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

When Ippo finally does land a Dempsy again it's going to be orgasmic.