Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I haven't done this, but I've worked a couple lovely jobs where people would quit, come back within a few weeks, then quit again for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The courier company I worked was like that. Not because the company itself was bad (one of the best I've worked for, actually), but because of the nature of the job. It paid pretty good for a job that required zero education and experience, but it's also dangerous as hell and most people don't actually want to be cycling around for 8 hours a day. Even our orientation was upfront about that, stating outright that it was likely everyone attending was going to be gone in a month. I ended up working there for a couple years and it was basically a core group of about ten hypercompetent people who could do anything, another 40 who were soundly reliable, and dozens of people who came and went

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kellogg is breaking itself up

https://twitter.com/ap/status/1539211868581109760?s=21&t=LRNppDUmM7SzWAPY2KHLLw

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Which division is in charge of stopping masturbation?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Which division is in charge of stopping masturbation?

Divisin of Onan

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is the idea there that one company can go bankrupt without taking the other two out, or what?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

I always thought cereals were plant-based food?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Xlorp posted:

If only. You know how most cereals in the US are fortified with calcium?

Mouse bones. That's also how they stay crunchy so long in milk.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gort posted:

Is the idea there that one company can go bankrupt without taking the other two out, or what?

quote:

Kellogg’s had net sales of $14.2 billion in 2021, with $11.4 billion generated by its snack division, which makes Cheez-Its, Pringles and Pop-Tarts, among other brands. Cereal accounted for another $2.4 billion in sales last year while plant-based sales totaled around $340 million.
“These businesses all have significant standalone potential, and an enhanced focus will enable them to better direct their resources toward their distinct strategic priorities,” said CEO Steve Cahillane.
I can only assume that they're worried about the plant-based stuff? I didn't know snacks were so much larger than their cereal sales, cause I feel like I can name an equal number of both brands honestly. It's either plants are gonna tank or the cereal workers strikes got them worried?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I can only assume that they're worried about the plant-based stuff? I didn't know snacks were so much larger than their cereal sales, cause I feel like I can name an equal number of both brands honestly. It's either plants are gonna tank or the cereal workers strikes got them worried?

i would have thought that it's because the kellogg's brand is super toxic to anyone who cares due to their aggressive union busting and subpar-to-outright-unsafe production when their workers were on strike

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

A split like this doesn't necessarily indicate anything wrong with the health of either part of the business, just that they don't make much sense together. The plant-based stuff is tiny compared to the rest of the business and is much newer and more experimental, so its business needs are going to look very different than the rest of Kellogg's business--spinning it off is probably going to be a win-win.

On the other hand, the packaged cereal business is going to be very similar to the packaged snack business and there are going to be a lot of benefits to operating them together in terms of shared overhead and connections, product crossover, etc. So they are 100% afraid that the cereal business is going to be a drag on the larger and more successful snack business; it's not necessarily circling the drain, but it's got much less growth potential and as the most recognizable part of their portfolio it's going to be a lightning rod for the PR fallout from the strikes.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Plant based isn't even remotely new for Kellogg's. They've owned Morningstar Farms since 1999.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think a lot of this is just to goose stock prices

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Xlorp posted:

Many cereals are fortified with non-vegan vitamins. D3 is the usual one. So they're primarily plant ingredients, and they can say plant based if they want (as it's not a regulated term), but a portion of the market buying those foods looks elsewhere for cereal.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Xlorp posted:

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Many cereals are fortified with non-vegan vitamins. D3 is the usual one. So they're primarily plant ingredients, and they can say plant based if they want (as it's not a regulated term), but a portion of the market buying those foods looks elsewhere for cereal.

Plant-based in that they are produced in factories, yes.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

If only. You know how most cereals in the US are fortified with calcium?

Mouse bones. That's also how they stay crunchy so long in milk.

I just make sure my cereal uses freerange mice

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

Oh, sure, I assume most of us were in the fieldmouse procurement business before we got accounts here

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

PhazonLink posted:

Nintendo somehow patch the Gen 3 pokemon games with the GC's GBA link thing. Something called The Berries Glitch that was a time based thing even though Ruby/Sap didnt have a dayday cycle.

Some goon can probably give deets or you can read the wiki.

e: hell I think all those Nintendo events / their Nintendo store also gave out stealth patches??

ruby/sapphire had a day/night cycle that's why they had you set the clock in the beginning. its just only used for umbreon and espeon evolution and eevee doesn't show up in the game without trading from fire red/leaf green. fire red/leaf green do not have a day/night cycle at all so trading eevee to hoenn is necessary to complete the national dex that gen.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

ruby/sapphire had a day/night cycle that's why they had you set the clock in the beginning. its just only used for umbreon and espeon evolution and eevee doesn't show up in the game without trading from fire red/leaf green. fire red/leaf green do not have a day/night cycle at all so trading eevee to hoenn is necessary to complete the national dex that gen.
the clock is also used for berries maturing, thus the berry glitch :goonsay:

(they were actually pretty ingenious about fixing it, adding the patch to Colosseum and such)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the clock is also used for berries maturing, thus the berry glitch :goonsay:

(they were actually pretty ingenious about fixing it, adding the patch to Colosseum and such)

that's a calendar system not a day/night cycle. :goonsay:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

vyst posted:

This was largely supplanted by a revolutionary new non-nutritive varnish coating that was invented by a clear genius in the late 80s. Some company in Chicago I think. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Analysts at Bank of America are accusing Bed Bath and Beyond of having their stores turn off A/C to save costs, although the company is denying this. The company seems to be in serious trouble due to supply chain issues. It is estimated that the company lost $175 million in sales due to supply chain issues.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/investing/bed-bath--beyond-sales-decline/index.html

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I live near a KDC plant that primarily does Bed Bath and Beyond stuff, and it's closing down as of the end of this year due to a combination of lack of sales meaning low orders and supply chain issues. So I can fully believe they're in trouble.

Of course, they're still running Job Fairs without disclosing that, so extra bonus.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

FlamingLiberal posted:

Analysts at Bank of America are accusing Bed Bath and Beyond of having their stores turn off A/C to save costs, although the company is denying this. The company seems to be in serious trouble due to supply chain issues. It is estimated that the company lost $175 million in sales due to supply chain issues.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/investing/bed-bath--beyond-sales-decline/index.html

It's gotten so bad I only get 20% coupons from them every other day now.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Silly Burrito posted:

It's gotten so bad I only get 20% coupons from them every other day now.

They're easily the worst of anyone outside the Nigerian Prince category:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Bed Bath and the Great Beyond

I thought they already went out of business years ago, I guess that was Linens n Things.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Knormal posted:

I thought they already went out of business years ago, I guess that was Linens n Things.

Apparently this is how I find out Linens n Things was an actual store and not just a throwaway name for a Death Grips line.

It looks like the nearest one was a good 50 miles away from me in a place I never traveled to before they shut down, which would explain it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Bed Bath and Beyond I knew took over a movie theater which is too bad because I liked that theater. But then it closed and became a Peter Pipers Pizza which is somehow successful even though its parent company, Chuck E Cheese, no longer is in town.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

They were teetering on the brink before 2020, then had a bit of a pandemic boom and bounced back for a bit, now they're super deep in the poo poo because the pandemic trends that kept them afloat have largely reversed.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Knormal posted:

Shoulda been more specific!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

In case you hadn’t already heard

https://twitter.com/people/status/1551688891488522241?s=21&t=znIu8-8m0gSOtcLzmid5DA

This essentially went viral yesterday

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Knormal posted:

Bed, Bath, and Beyond the Infinite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imbxqv_5TJU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

In case you hadn’t already heard

https://twitter.com/people/status/1551688891488522241?s=21&t=znIu8-8m0gSOtcLzmid5DA

This essentially went viral yesterday

This is 100% to drum up interest, have people buy a ton, then have them go "ah man we didn't know you guys cared so much ok we'll keep it around" or some bs like that

Also in the 40 year history not one Choco Taco has looked like that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
It works as a marketing ploy for me; I've never even heard of this thing, and now that it's going away, I feel I've missed my chance and want one.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I mean Taco Bell and McD's have mastered this play

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I feel like there's going to come a scenario where a smaller company cancels a popular product expecting that kind of outrage, and the general public is going to call their bluff and not give a poo poo, resulting in the company tanking their profits and going under before they can bring it back. Like I'm aware of the Choco Taco but I don't think I've ever had one, are they really that beloved?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Knormal posted:

I feel like there's going to come a scenario where a smaller company cancels a popular product expecting that kind of outrage, and the general public is going to call their bluff and not give a poo poo, resulting in the company tanking their profits and going under before they can bring it back. Like I'm aware of the Choco Taco but I don't think I've ever had one, are they really that beloved?

I've definitely had one but I don't really remember anything about it other than "yep, that's ice cream, which I certainly enjoy in any form including this one"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Knormal posted:

They aren't. I'm guessing the avg person getting angry/sad online about it hasn't eaten one in 15-20 years. This is the millennial version of being nostalgic for baseball cards in the spokes and catching frogs by the creek.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Remember when Twinkies went away and people spent thousands of dollars on eBay buying them up as an investment then Twinkies came back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Remember when Twinkies went away and people spent thousands of dollars on eBay buying them up as an investment then Twinkies came back.

Also, Twinkies "went away" because they didn't want to agree to unreasonable union demands like "do not cut our pay further" if I recall