Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Volguus posted:

Ah, so people without Macs basically do not connect their phones to the computer then at all?

Right, same as people with macs do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hold up, are you the one from the iPhone thread a few months ago that had this exact same conversation? And caused many of us to not understand why you didn’t understand cloud services?

Since I don't use an iPhone I do not frequent iphone threads. So no. I understand cloud services, but I prefer to store the files from the phone on the computer. Just because google offers to back them up in its cloud doesn't mean that I don't want them on my computer too. They can rescind that offer any time they wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I do back them up on B2 though, so no, there not just on my computer (in addition to google's service).

But if you people say that you don't (and nobody does) well ... that's that I guess. Good for you. For me is an important function of a smart phone, the computer connectivity. I guess since nobody else wants it is why Apple never bothered with it, and that's fine for them.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 21, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cage-free egghead posted:

Is there an SD card in it that could be taken out and put into a PC? You could also try just plugging in the phone to a PC to see if it'll show up as removable storage.

Generally a factory reset will wipe the device and put it back to, well, factory settings. That seems like a much worse fate than just a screen breaking from a fall though.
There's no reverting it? I have not completed setup or anything again, in case it's possible to rescind the factory reset. I'll have to check if there's an SD card, I don't think I'm able to open it myself.

Guess I'll try to talk to the store about it, see if they can recover anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just periodically download a Google Takeout.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Usually a factory reset nukes the encryption keys so the data that was on there (encrypted with the old key) is GONE gone

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For the record, if I connect my work iPhone to a computer I can transfer files, too, so AFAICT it's not a problem there, either.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I cannot get my Nest Audio to change rooms. I can see it in the settings in the Google Home app. It lets me choose a new room and prompts me to type a name. I do all that, hit next and... nothing has changed.

Before I do a factory reset and go through all that crap, is this a known problem someone has a solution for? It's only a mild inconvenience, but I'd like to fix it eventually (if nothing else, it's nice saying "turn off the lights" without specifying a room).

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

For the record, if I connect my work iPhone to a computer I can transfer files, too, so AFAICT it's not a problem there, either.

So why did people say that you can't? Can you connect it to a linux machine and copy files to and from? If it's possible then my understanding was wrong.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volguus posted:

So why did people say that you can't? Can you connect it to a linux machine and copy files to and from? If it's possible then my understanding was wrong.

Well, it works on Windows, but I just tried connecting it to my Linux desktop and the iPhone just shows up as a camera and I can't do anything with it. I'm not going to troubleshoot any farther, though, because I have no reason to transfer files to or from my work iPhone, and if for some reason I did then I'd just use Windows. The only reason I use an iPhone at all is because that's what I was supplied with from work. My own phones are Android for a reason.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, it works on Windows, but I just tried connecting it to my Linux desktop and the iPhone just shows up as a camera and I can't do anything with it. I'm not going to troubleshoot any farther, though, because I have no reason to transfer files to or from my work iPhone, and if for some reason I did then I'd just use Windows. The only reason I use an iPhone at all is because that's what I was supplied with from work. My own phones are Android for a reason.

Oh, still an advancement. Many years ago they had that stupid software that one had to use even on Windows to access files. That was quite a terrible program.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Why does anyone still need to transfer files to and from their phone? Photos and videos are on Google photos. Documents on Google drive. Music on Spotify. I'm ready for phones with no holes at all.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BabyFur Denny posted:

Why does anyone still need to transfer files to and from their phone? Photos and videos are on Google photos. Documents on Google drive. Music on Spotify. I'm ready for phones with no holes at all.

The most common thing I do is send pictures from my phone to my computer so I can post them easier. That's wireless, but the quickest and easiest file sharing method. There are a few files I like to have on my phone for easy access regardless of signal issues. If I'm transferring music I'll usually use USB because it's faster. I prefer having my music local, for various reasons beyond just habit.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The most common thing I do is send pictures from my phone to my computer so I can post them easier.

This is what the awful app is for

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

people talking about iphones as status symbols are not necessarily claiming that bc of the cost/price of the phone.

green bubbles has something to do with it, but it's not just bc it's a different color from the imessage blue, it's what that green color represents from a user experience perspective, even if the common smartphone owner doesn't actually realize it.

green bubble = hosed up text messaging, especially in group threads. if my friends want to start a group chat with me, it's potentially a crapshoot whether the conversation stays in a single thread or gets broken up into multiple threads. even in one-to-one message threads, sending a photo usually results in extreme compression where it looks like it was sent via an original motorola razr. absolutely forget about trying to send a video file. other imessage-only functionality breaks, as well, when you include someone with an android phone.

couple that with the fact that popular social media apps like snapchat, instagram, and whatsapp don't use the native camera on android phones to capite photos and videos. so, when you post a photo or story that you captured in-app from an android phone, it looks like poo poo.

all of the above is why it doesn't matter if you have a $1000+ samsung with 8 cameras that go up to 100MP or whatever. i have an iphone and i tried to send you a photo and it didn't work so your phone is a weird, low-quality piece of crap.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Which is entirely deliberate by apple. Why even make it a different colour?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Skarsnik posted:

Which is entirely deliberate by apple. Why even make it a different colour?

they could mitigate the issue by adopting RCS, but i seriously doubt they'll do that for the exact same reason they make android texts an ugly shade of puke/lime green: they know it will reduce their competitive advantage and cut into their profits.

also, again, it doesn't actually matter what color the texts are. it matters that texting between platforms is a fuckin mess.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
People in modern advanced society use WhatsApp or telegram or signal or other messengers. So it's not an issue unless you're a barbarian that still uses text/sms

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

BabyFur Denny posted:

People in modern advanced society use WhatsApp or telegram or signal or other messengers. So it's not an issue unless you're a barbarian that still uses text/sms

you clearly don't understand the general population (in america) and are applying your own bias to the topic.

my evidence is also anecdotal, but i've worked at a number of tech companies over the last decade where most people are at the very least slightly above average in tech literacy ranging to much more advanced. most people just text their friends in the default messaging app without worrying about other services or handles or whatever.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Volguus posted:

Since I don't use an iPhone I do not frequent iphone threads. So no. I understand cloud services, but I prefer to store the files from the phone on the computer. Just because google offers to back them up in its cloud doesn't mean that I don't want them on my computer too. They can rescind that offer any time they wake up on the wrong side of the bed. I do back them up on B2 though, so no, there not just on my computer (in addition to google's service).

But if you people say that you don't (and nobody does) well ... that's that I guess. Good for you. For me is an important function of a smart phone, the computer connectivity. I guess since nobody else wants it is why Apple never bothered with it, and that's fine for them.

Just because you use cloud doesn't require completely relying on the companies. For ages my method for the phone pictures has been to let Dropbox sync them from the phone to the cloud and then have the Dropbox app sync them from the cloud to my computer. It causes some delay from the syncs, but unless I need the picture immediately they are already on my computer.

Some of these days I'll setup a Nextcloud service on my home server and skip the middle man. Any day now. I promise.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

BabyFur Denny posted:

People in modern advanced society use WhatsApp

This is a really funny statement.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Family seem to use WhatsApp, friends all moved to telegram. The only SMS I get are from 2fa services and spam. I haven't had an iPhone in more than 6 years and I don't miss anything about it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I managed to convince the majority of my iPhone using family and friends to get on Signal and now I no longer need to suffer as a plebian green bubble.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I previously had a S20+ and upgraded to the 22 Ultra.

On a phonecall yesterday with my sister, she commented how it sounded like I was in a quiet room and asked if I was working from home.

I was outside next to a highway, train line, with planes coming in for landing overhead, and somehow she couldn't hear any of it

On the 20+, people regularly complained about hearing an echo of their voice, which is also completely gone on the 22.

Big upgrades for whoever I'm talking with!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ShoogaSlim posted:

you clearly don't understand the general population (in america) and are applying your own bias to the topic.

my evidence is also anecdotal, but i've worked at a number of tech companies over the last decade where most people are at the very least slightly above average in tech literacy ranging to much more advanced. most people just text their friends in the default messaging app without worrying about other services or handles or whatever.

This is about as true as it gets. If it's a Verizon Samsung phone, I guarantee you that you'll see that lovely red-themed piece of garbage messaging app they preload on there (unless they have friends/family like me who get them away from that poo poo immediately).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

withoutclass posted:

I managed to convince the majority of my iPhone using family and friends to get on Signal and now I no longer need to suffer as a plebian green bubble.

My friends chat in a private forum they set up like ten years ago, so I need a browser to talk to them. And it looks awful in "mobile" mode, so I have my phone generate the desktop version and spend a lot of time pinch zooming to read what they wrote.

It's perfect.

(we are kinda moving to Discord and I have to ignore so many phone notifications during baseball season)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I had a fun texting experience the other day!

I made a group chat, using signal as texting app, but as a regular text group, no signal features since not everyone had it, to text four people at the same time. For me, a group was made, and a message was sent.

For the four members of the group, the following happened.

One (pixel 6, stock messages app) received one copy of my message for each other person in the group. He saw it as a group with the people in it. He could answer, and i got his answers as messages from just him, and the rest of the group saw nothing.

Another (Nokia 7.1, android one, stock app) got my text, did not see a group, and when he answered, I got the text separately.

One more (pixel 5, stock app) worked as expected, saw a group, responses were sent to the group, etc, except the person above did not get his answers, but the first person did, in the group.

Last was on an iPhone with signal and could see the group, but if she answered, it was sent to just me outside the group.

Fun was had by all.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Because I download a file. It's on my computer. 2GB in size. And I need it on my phone (to watch it later, maybe when I'm in a place that doesn't have wifi and because I'm not willing to consume my data plan for that). Now, I have two options:

1. Open up the browser, sign in into google, go to google drive and upload said file there only to download it again on my phone
2. Plug the usb cable into the phone and copy it over. 5 seconds flat.

I mean, even if option #2 wouldn't be faster (which it is), it's the freaking principle of it. To send it to all the way to google's servers just to get it back only to delete it from google's servers afterwards it's just silly. To put it mildly.
So yes, that's why some people (there's dozens of us) need to transfer files between their phones and their computer. If you don't ... more power to you. For me that's a dealbreaker when it comes to a phone brand. I need it to be quick, painless and to work with my existing computers.

Saukkis posted:

Just because you use cloud doesn't require completely relying on the companies. For ages my method for the phone pictures has been to let Dropbox sync them from the phone to the cloud and then have the Dropbox app sync them from the cloud to my computer. It causes some delay from the syncs, but unless I need the picture immediately they are already on my computer.

Some of these days I'll setup a Nextcloud service on my home server and skip the middle man. Any day now. I promise.

For ages my method was to copy the images/videos from the phone to the computer, to the NAS and from there a cron job copies them to B2. Why? Because they're easily accessible from the NAS and my wife wants to look at them every now and then.
Now, you may ask: But why didn't you install tool X or Y or Z and then have who knows what benefit? Because opening up a file manager in Windows or Linux and navigating to a folder to look at some pictures it's as easy as it gets and I have no interest in making it any more complicated. To put it simply: It works for me and my family and I have no desire to change that. B2 costs cents per month.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 22, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I remember that happening if you sent a group text via SMS instead of MMS, but no idea how you could do it for some members of the group and not all.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I remember that happening if you sent a group text via SMS instead of MMS, but no idea how you could do it for some members of the group and not all.

Yeah, Signal as SMS client has come to bite that project in the rear end. It was supposed to encourage uptake, but there are so many poo poo-rear end edge cases to legacy SMS and that ultimately tarnishes Signal. Its a great platform and I'd love to push Signal, but it still lacks things like text decorators.

I burned my political capital on WhatsApp years ago, and even some of the more begrudging converts have come around after saying how much easier it was to setup some other group on WA instead of text.

The defacto iMessage thing is very group dependent. I see that bullshit at my kids school, but my friends group who travel all have WA for their global buddies. Then still other groups are all FB Messenger, which I don't have since I lack a FB account.

Luckily, as an asocial curmudgeon I can be picky about how I communicate.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

FunOne posted:

Then still other groups are all FB Messenger, which I don't have since I lack a FB account.
Not that anyone who doesn't have one should get one, but they've made it possible to use just messenger without a full FB account a while back. I love Instant Messengers as how I chat with people and don't like text so I use FB chat as AIM died and along with it things like the concept of signing off and away messages sigh. I feel like a lot of things would be better if we could have those vs "this will always get to them and they should reply right now".

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I store all my music locally on the phone so I regularly connect to PC to copy over, especially when setting up new/factory resetting or whatever. Sometimes I just wanna haul off a bunch of photos or video, and its easier that way and you get the original file compared to watered down versions through Gphotos.

Microsoft missed out big by not developing a MSN Messenger themed sms app. It might have even saved Windows phone. I know plenty of people who stuck with blackberry for far too long solely for BBM. They still ought to go ahead and make it for Android. Can you even have an alternative SMS solution on ios?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My friends and I standardized on Google Talk back in the day so we're all pretty much on Google Chat now.

But we don't really have much for iPhones to deal with. In our 7 person immediate friend group chat, there are.

2 Pixel 6 Pros
1 Pixel 6
1 OnePlus 8 Pro
1 OnePlus 7t
1 Galaxy Fold 3
1 iPhone 11

My parents are both on Android (Nokia 6.1 and Pixel 4a5g) so I just use RCS with them.

My sister's family is the outlier in that they are all on iPhones.

The other thing that isn't mentioned here that's lockin for iMessage for especially the younger groups is games. That's one of the things my nephew was very vocal about before getting my sister's hand me down iPhone, he couldn't play iMessage games with friends so he felt left out.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress Facebook Messenger, they had a perfectly working mobile browser interface for it and deliberately disabled it to force you to use their lovely maximum data mining app instead. Well nuts to you, I'm going to use the site on desktop mode for the three times a year I need to.

I also copy photos via USB so look at me, average android user.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

After all the hype, especially in US outlets, Nothing phone isn't actually being released in the US.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/22/23178221/nothings-phone-1-usa-release-date

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ShoogaSlim posted:

couple that with the fact that popular social media apps like snapchat, instagram, and whatsapp don't use the native camera on android phones to capite photos and videos. so, when you post a photo or story that you captured in-app from an android phone, it looks like poo poo.

This is incorrect and hasn't been true in a long time. Apps like WhatsApp etc use the Android OS camera API, which is the same photo taking code as the native camera.

You seem to have a very outdated view of Android, also lmao at the green bubble thing, who the hell cares. Most people in the world use WhatsApp anyways.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is incorrect and hasn't been true in a long time. Apps like WhatsApp etc use the Android OS camera API, which is the same photo taking code as the native camera.

You seem to have a very outdated view of Android, also lmao at the green bubble thing, who the hell cares. Most people in the world use WhatsApp anyways.

disingenuous argumentation on your end, as usual. i didn't mention whatsapp in my post at all. i said social media apps, specifically, which lots of people care about, or hadn't you noticed?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-android-13-camerax-jetpack-snapchat-instagram/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ShoogaSlim posted:

disingenuous argumentation on your end, as usual. i didn't mention whatsapp in my post at all. i said social media apps, specifically, which lots of people care about, or hadn't you noticed?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-android-13-camerax-jetpack-snapchat-instagram/

What??? The post of yours I quoted you literally said "WhatsApp". Like, it's in the quote.

I'm so tired of your lovely idiotic posting. Every single time. You contribute absolutely nothing to this thread.

e: seriously, it's even in your link. The Google Camera2 API. What is wrong with your brain?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

lmao at the green bubble thing, who the hell cares. Most people in the world use WhatsApp anyways.

A LOT of people, especially the younger crowd. That's the key. People usually stick to the platform they start with and there's a lot of social pressure as a teenager to be on iPhone due to iMessage.

Your second sentence is one of the big reasons why Apple doesn't have as large a market share outside of the US. That lock in doesn't exist because the social pressure doesn't exist since everyone is using a 3rd party app.

It's no mistake that the iPhone has grown in market share as the population has aged up as you have all of these teens becoming adults and sticking with the platform as new teens view iPhone as the only choice because otherwise they can't play some dumb iMessage game with their friends between class periods.

This is also why iMessage will never come to Android as it removes a big reason to stick with iPhone hardware and they know it.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

What??? The post of yours I quoted you literally said "WhatsApp". Like, it's in the quote.

poo poo. i'll take the L on that one. not sure why i included whatsapp in my op when that wasn't part of the argument i was trying to make.

but yeah i still think you're wrong to dismiss messaging as a thing people don't care about when there's loads of evidence for the opposite.

over half the posts you make itt are just responses to people talking poorly about a pixel phone with something like "I LIKE MY PIXEL AND HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH IT SO YOU'RE WRONG" which is just as unhelpful as you think my posting is. i like my pixel, but i can identify with why actual, regular, non tech enthusiast people in the world have problems with android phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: seriously, it's even in your link. The Google Camera2 API. What is wrong with your brain?

It's important to note that Camera2 API implementation and support across devices is... spotty. It's not a binary works or doesn't thing. There are like 4 different levels of support with varying capabilities.

Also, Camera2 API will only provide access to HAL post processing. If there's significant processing in the camera app to get the final image for a particular device, that processing isn't done when using Camera2.