Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MorningMoon posted:

oh poo poo, that reminds me I haven't seen season 4 at all. I see it's all on Disney+, though.

Anyone have the handy episode order? and what specials to watch between seasons 3 and 4?
S4 episode list is higher up this page. [EDIT: god drat it! Of all the times to top a new page... Okay, on the previous page. :argh: ]

I'll have to rewatch the S4 finale to see if she does it there, but Natalie finally feeling close enough to Gabriel to call him by name rather than "Sir" only to promptly leave him when she finally realises his obsession with defeating Ladybug is stronger than his desire to save Emelie, and herself as well was a nice bit of irony.

Ladybug repeatedly punking Monarch by tying him up with her yoyo every time he appeared was fun as well. I would say it diminishes the threat of your show's main villain, but he's been defeated by teenagers on a daily basis ever since the show began.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Thanks for pointing out the list!

Girlfriend and I saw the New York and Shanghai specials. We forgot how cringe Marinette is, god the damage, i missed this silly show lmao. Specials were pretty good despite being kinda desperate attempts at getting spinoffs off the ground. I really liked that in this world's USA you see a supervillain fight like as soon as you're flying over US terrritory.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
This universe's USA also has missile silos concealed everywhere.

5x02 'Multiplication' - after 'Evolution', which was basically a time travel romp, this has Monarch slow down after his humiliating defeat and take the time (lots of it; I think it's the biggest time jump in the show so far, which remember has in its entirety taken place within a single school year) to plan things out. And even though he technically didn't accomplish anything... he still succeeded! (I guess Mrs Tsurugi is working with him now, because she had to have been lying about not having the Mouse Miraculous - unless the new Alexa/Siri rings link them somehow.)

I didn't really register until now that Marinette and Adrien were absent last time - they spent the whole episode in hero form - so it was good to see them back. With a relationship change! :aaa: Adrien's attempts to greet her with a kiss and her rebuffing him in a different embarrassing way each day were cute, even if these kids just can't catch a break.

Quite a big episode for 'things are changing' all round. Everyone knows about Alix (who is now out of the picture), Mrs Bustier is pregnant, Adrien is no longer a model, the Agreste/Tsurugi alliance keeps growing and gaining power, Lila is the other public face of Gabriel's company, Amelie lied to Ladybug to protect Felix, and Felix has finally used the Peacock Miraculous. The plot's a-thickening.

BTW, Astruc is back for season 6 and beyond, just in a new executive role as he's also in charge of the Astro Boy reboot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’ve decided to try out this franchise for the first time and as such I have two questions:

1: Do we know when Season 5 is starting up in the US (I think it’s already begun over in France)?

2: Is the first movie Miraculous World canon to the series? If so, when does it take place?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

I’ve decided to try out this franchise for the first time and as such I have two questions:

1: Do we know when Season 5 is starting up in the US (I think it’s already begun over in France)
It’ll be exclusively on Disney+ (you can also watch most recent eps on Disney Now as they’re released) starting sometime in July.

quote:

2: Is the first movie Miraculous World canon to the series? If so, when does it take place?
I think it’s between s1 and 2 but it doesn’t really matter.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 22, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

In that case is the movie worth watching then?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

In that case is the movie worth watching then?

Meh. If you want to see Miraculous America and superheroes mentioned in comics in show in S1 sure but you’re not missing much

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

Meh. If you want to see Miraculous America and superheroes mentioned in comics in show in S1 sure but you’re not missing much

So it doesn’t matter one bit in terms of the overall story then, good to know

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Oracle posted:

It’ll be exclusively on Disney+ (you can also watch most recent eps on Disney Now as they’re released) starting sometime in July.

S3 and S4, but no, it doesn't really have any influence on the main series. The kids' teacher announces she's pregnant, and we finally saw her baby bump in the latest episode, but other than "Hey, other countries have real superheroes too and there's more than one set of Miraculouses" that's about it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
4 eps into s4 and these are loving bangers. I'm sure it'll get less intense now that we are in the seasons status quo, but that was fantastic. Deeper thoughts later.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Payndz posted:

This universe's USA also has missile silos concealed everywhere.

5x02 'Multiplication' - after 'Evolution', which was basically a time travel romp, this has Monarch slow down after his humiliating defeat and take the time (lots of it; I think it's the biggest time jump in the show so far, which remember has in its entirety taken place within a single school year) to plan things out. And even though he technically didn't accomplish anything... he still succeeded! (I guess Mrs Tsurugi is working with him now, because she had to have been lying about not having the Mouse Miraculous - unless the new Alexa/Siri rings link them somehow.)

The rings link them to Monarch and allow him to share a Miraculous power.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Up to Zoe's introduction. This is the best this show's been holy poo poo.

I really, really loved Marinette's struggles at the start of the season. More than anything it feels like Hawkmoth had a chance at winning the battle of attrition with all the extra poo poo added to Marinette's life. Seeing the superhero life weigh so heavily and break the little comfort she had found from it in the end of last season was gripping; when she admitted it all to Alya it felt super real.
On a lighter side, Marinette has upped her cringe game to new heights, we were screaming at some of her antics, Luka really should've bailed way sooner. Insanely fun.
The kwamis are a fun extra wrinkle for the show. Seeing them use their limitless powers to do an useful thing at teh cost of causing a funny gag like gorillas playing with Adrien's stuff is great.
The lucky charms' solutions are super creative so far.
I really liked how Kagami handled her side of the romance not working; she comes from a very similar life as Adrien's, so she respects him enough to not pry into whatever he's hiding, but also is aware that if he is willing to lie so badly to her then it'll just be more painful.
Will probably be left wondering for a long while who was right on that scene where Kagami drew Adrien. Was it that she couldn't accept the Adrien that loves being silly, or is Adrien not being honest with himself when he jokes around as Chat Noir?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, does Toei have any involvement with this show? I know they made a (honestly pretty decent looking) test pilot in the beginning at least

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MorningMoon posted:

4 eps into s4 and these are loving bangers. I'm sure it'll get less intense now that we are in the seasons status quo, but that was fantastic. Deeper thoughts later.
Season 4 absolutely has the best writing of the show so far, and their finally serialising the episodes, random worldwide release schedule be damned, made such a difference to the emotional storylines. Marinette's descent into despair at the start, followed by her joy (and manic relief) after she finally comes out to Alya, was genuinely affecting, especially for a kids' show.

And then coming up you've got the double-header of 'Optigami' and 'Sentibubbler', which are fantastically plotted because Gabriel's plans are smart, surprising and dangerous - it's underplayed, but in 'Senti' he's willing to kill Marinette, Nino and Alya's family to get what he wants from Alya - and make you wonder "how the hell are they going to beat him?" They're so good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Payndz posted:

Season 4 absolutely has the best writing of the show so far, and their finally serialising the episodes, random worldwide release schedule be damned, made such a difference to the emotional storylines. Marinette's descent into despair at the start, followed by her joy (and manic relief) after she finally comes out to Alya, was genuinely affecting, especially for a kids' show.

And then coming up you've got the double-header of 'Optigami' and 'Sentibubbler', which are fantastically plotted because Gabriel's plans are smart, surprising and dangerous - it's underplayed, but in 'Senti' he's willing to kill Marinette, Nino and Alya's family to get what he wants from Alya - and make you wonder "how the hell are they going to beat him?" They're so good.

Those two episodes are incredible. Just the layers of Gabriel's plan that they needed to peel off to overcome, backed up with Chat being left out and feeling bad about it. Brilliant stuff. Super excited for Alya being a covert miraculous, her moveset works so well with that. Just excellent that they can get the edge over Shadow Moth like that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So for when I eventually catch up with this series, when are new episodes typically released and out of curiosity does the show feel like its building to some kind of conclusion currently or is it one of those superhero series’ with a big rouge’s gallery that they could potentially keep going for as long as they wanted to (or to put it another way, is there some overarching plot or is it just a series of somewhat connected story arcs)?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

So for when I eventually catch up with this series, when are new episodes typically released and out of curiosity does the show feel like its building to some kind of conclusion currently or is it one of those superhero series’ with a big rouge’s gallery that they could potentially keep going for as long as they wanted to (or to put it another way, is there some overarching plot or is it just a series of somewhat connected story arcs)?

There is absolutely an overarching plot, but don't be in any rush to catch up because release dates are spread out over sixteen different countries and four or five different languages and several months to a year. In America you're watching anything past S3 on Disney+/DisneyNow or cable or not at all (sans :files:). The overarching plot can be sidelined or only touched on in 'monster of the week' eps but usually the first two and last two/four eps in a season are chock full of plot movement, lately that seems to be growing less and less true as more plot pops up. But no, there's only really one Big Bad and his various underlings/fellow travelers, a few antagonists, and whatever monsters they can dream up/corrupt that almost never go for more than an episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the subbed version of Season 5 so far up on any official source then or are we just going with fansubs for now?

Also I like watching shows in their original language whenever possible so I’ve decided to go with the French version but how are the English voices out of curiosity and does the dub cut anything out/change anything significant?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 27, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

So is the subbed version of Season 5 so far up on any official source then or are we just going with fansubs for now?

Also I like watching shows in their original language whenever possible so I’ve decided to go with the French version but how are the English voices out of curiosity and does the dub cut anything out/change anything significant?

No official sources, no, unless you actually live in France or Brazil or wherever its been released thus far and have some kind of cable subscription, I guess? Some files will have official subs, as they were recorded off tv that had subtitles in English on or what have you, but I don't know whether or not those exist that's how they've been in the past.
English voices are fine, the dub will change a little bit around but not materially in my experience having watched both. Though I do recall an episode dealing with police malfeasance was censored by a channel in France (warning: possible spoilers) but not in other countries.

So ironically you may actually be getting less than you expect watching the original source.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think I saw some subbed S5 episodes on YouTube but wasn’t sure where they came from.

Out of curiosity, what season/episode number was the aforementioned episode you were talking about just so I know (I literally just started the show)?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

I think I saw some subbed S5 episodes on YouTube but wasn’t sure where they came from.

Out of curiosity, what season/episode number was the aforementioned episode you were talking about just so I know (I literally just started the show)?

S4 Ep 20 Qilin

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Holy poo poo Glaciator 2. loving jampacked with everything I like. Wish Ladybug had apologized for literally throwing him in the trash, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Season 5 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d9iEowz8qrU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Girlfriend and I are 3 episodes from finishing season 4. It's incredible. Ephemeral is just Chat Blanc 2, but so much better. I'm so curious as to what changed, why did they decide to embrace continuity and also bring on nonstop bangers??

Also, i know the show's airing order's always been a joke, but hilarious that Dearest Family is about halfway in the season on Disney+ when it makes no sense before a couple episodes that were placed near the end of the season lol.

gently caress the last thirty seconds of Qlish, but the entire rest was excellent.

I'm on the verge of just tellin gall my friends to watch the show and that it gets better after 80 episodes

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

argh when Disney+ you suck at advertising!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

argh when Disney+ you suck at advertising!

Season 4 apparently started in the US about 3 months after France got it so if the pattern holds it might be out by September at the earliest (not sure about the first three seasons though)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Larryb posted:

Season 4 apparently started in the US about 3 months after France got it so if the pattern holds it might be out by September at the earliest (not sure about the first three seasons though)

First three seasons were out on Netflix shortly after they were done airing in Europe. Disney uploaded them all in a batch once disney+ rolled out iirc. Then S4 aired live, appeared on DisneyNOW maybe a day two after cable, and is still there. Not sure if its in Disney+ yet or no, but its all ready to go someone on the backend just needs to push a button if not. They're also saying 'Summer 2022' and September is emphatically not summer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oracle posted:

First three seasons were out on Netflix shortly after they were done airing in Europe. Disney uploaded them all in a batch once disney+ rolled out iirc. Then S4 aired live, appeared on DisneyNOW maybe a day two after cable, and is still there. Not sure if its in Disney+ yet or no, but its all ready to go someone on the backend just needs to push a button if not. They're also saying 'Summer 2022' and September is emphatically not summer.

Ah, in that case probably later this month or early August then

Also the show has apparently already been greenlit for at least two more seasons after this

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 1, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, since the series basically starts en media res do we ever get an origin story for our main characters?

Also is the Christmas special in the first season important at all?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I could swear we get an episode where Marionette gets picked for a miraculous because she proved herself worthy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Yeah, late in season 1 there's an origins episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

Do you remember the episode number (and would it spoil anything major if I jumped ahead and watched it before continuing with the rest of Season 1)?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Larryb posted:

Do you remember the episode number (and would it spoil anything major if I jumped ahead and watched it before continuing with the rest of Season 1)?

Should be episode 22 and 23.

I also recommend having the wiki handy because episodes are in all sorts of weird orders and you need a list that puts them together. What countries air episodes in what order is different and it'll usually also be different from streaming (and i wouldn't be surprised if some streaming services have it in different order from each other).
https://miraculousladybug.fandom.com/wiki/Season_1

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MorningMoon posted:

Depending what country you were in, you could have seen the two-part 'Origins' story debut either halfway through, two-thirds of the way through, or following the finale cliffhanger of season 1!

Show it as the opening of the series? That's crazy talk.

Edit: there are a ton of episode order guides for season 1 (which was the most mixed-up), but ignore any that place 'Pixelator' (which introduces a recurring character) after 'Guitar Villain' (where he gets akumatised) or 'Darkblade' (where he features prominently). The other seasons can be watched more or less in production code order - which bears almost no resemblance to broadcast order, in any country.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 4, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, so it’s every season that got the episode order swapped around and not just 3 and 4. Any particular reason why that keeps happening out of curiosity?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Larryb posted:

Ah, so it’s every season that got the episode order swapped around and not just 3 and 4. Any particular reason why that keeps happening out of curiosity?

My best guess is that it's a combination of some countries want to air certain episodes just whenever out of their whims and also episodes airing almost immediately after they're done (there's been a few cases where an episode is set to air at x date but then get replaced because they're not done yet)

There's an episode in season 3 that aired around the last third of the season despite it being episode 5 of that season because it involved making some pretty detailed new models (allegedly, according to me) even though the episode itself was bogstandard outside of that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I think there have been problems with some of the animation houses doing the show; at least one went bust during production and the episodes they were working on had to be reallocated to other (already overworked) companies, and another was basically a startup that got thrown in at the deep end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wonder if they’d have less problems in this regard if they kept it as a 2D show like was originally planned (though from what I hear one of the major reasons they switched to CG in the first place is because Ladybug’s outfit was kind of a pain in the rear end to draw/animate properly in traditional animation)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 4, 2022

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
An accurate polka dot pattern is probably the fastest way to make your animators hate you. That and horses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
Finally finished the season. :stare: That's a nice way to shakeup the show.

loving excellent season, everything was a steup.

In regards to that theory about Felix and Adrien there's deffo some sentimonster poo poo going on, but for now i'm just tacking it to Emilie's side of the family being super evil or something, if not all solely created by her who was an orphan maybe idk

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 5, 2022