Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CPColin posted:

I don't actually notice a difference, so either the tape does nothing or the seal is bad anyway.

Edit: They aren't respirators, to clarify.

N95s are respirators, just not elastomeric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
gently caress yea

https://twitter.com/katecagle/status/1538241233230757890?s=21&t=Me498bzfTr5ZhojHA5DHUw

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Nice to see that LA has some good news in local politics when the Bay is maintaining its status as a neoliberal political nightmare.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
DSA is a garbage fire but that's two DSA-endorsed candidates on the city council.

Which, for LA, is pretty significant.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Jaxyon posted:

DSA is a garbage fire but that's two DSA-endorsed candidates on the city council.

Which, for LA, is pretty significant.

A garbage fire is a small improvement over the tire fires that we are all living with.
Progress!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kenning posted:

Nice to see that LA has some good news in local politics when the Bay is maintaining its status as a neoliberal political nightmare.

It's not all roses in the LA area, and it's not all bad in the Bay Area. For example Orange county's chud DA won reelection, and Alameda county had some ok people win DA and supervisor races.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rah! posted:

It's not all roses in the LA area, and it's not all bad in the Bay Area. For example Orange county's chud DA won reelection, and Alameda county had some ok people win DA and supervisor races.

I don't think a single angeleno or oc person would refer to the OC as LA area. overall, LA did pretty well in this election.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
South of Bakersfield = LA, except for the part that's San Diego or the desert or the Sierras. Just like how anything between, I dunno, Santa Cruz, Eureka, and uhh gently caress it maybe Davis is 'the Bay'

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
OC is very distinct in many ways from LA, but I've known are plenty of people from OC who introduced themselves as being from the LA area when they don't want to associate themselves with the county or are talking to people from outside of Southern California. I haven't seen the opposite with people from LA though.

Long Beach is also definitely its own entity along with the cities in the High Desert like Lancaster or Palmdale. I consider these communities to be separate from LA despite being located in LA County.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

That's why you can't really lump people together into big regional blocks. San Jose and San Francisco are totally different places with total different cultures, just as LA and OC are. Drive 45 minutes from San Diego and you're in Klantee. Hell, downtown SJ and Campbell or Cupertino are like different planets.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That's why you can't really lump people together into big regional blocks. San Jose and San Francisco are totally different places with total different cultures, just as LA and OC are. Drive 45 minutes from San Diego and you're in Klantee. Hell, downtown SJ and Campbell or Cupertino are like different planets.

Can you please describe San Francisco and San Jose culture? Thank you.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nah there's just normies and the malevolent tentacles of rich boomers slowly spreading across the state in search of real estate to convert into airbnbs. people are pretty much the same until you run into a place said boomers have colonized and then every car is a Tesla and you get arrested for using a sidewalk in a residential area. any 'cultural' differences they may have are more related to whatever industry these people once worked in or currently parasitized society within. like the Hollywood industry types, tech bros, the engineering firm owners, etc.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
"don't own a car and walk a bit more" is culture

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sometimes a town might have a local event like a Cesar Chavez day or something but there's about a 90% chance regardless of location that it's been completely subsumed by pride flag style corporate interests and can't really be considered a cultural event as much as a guerilla marketing thing anymore. God it's depressing watching that happen to founders day in my home town lol. so far it's avoided actual big company interest but not the small firm of advertising a made up lifestyle to other transplants style of marketing (booths selling like, brush guards and poo poo. which for those who don't know, basically are gamer lights for your F350, in both target market and utility)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

tl;dr

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That's why you can't really lump people together into big regional blocks.

California has two regions: places where people go "ugh, Bakersfield" and places where people go "ugh, California"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Larry Parrish posted:

God it's depressing watching that happen to founders day in my home town lol.

What is founders' day?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

droll posted:

Can you please describe San Francisco and San Jose culture? Thank you.

SF: turns over every 5-10 years with fresh transplants (east coast trustafarians, ivy league tech/fintech bro's/bro-ette's, international oligarchs etc).

SJ: people just sort of end up there and Campbell and Los Gatos are cool!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mirello posted:

I don't think a single angeleno or oc person would refer to the OC as LA area. overall, LA did pretty well in this election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Los_Angeles

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

CPColin posted:

California has two regions: places where people go "ugh, Bakersfield" and places where people go "ugh, California"

I think they're called "California" and "Jefferson", respectively

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

There's essentially one urban area from New York to Washington DC but that doesn't mean they're all the same city. I definitely see LA and OC as two different places.

If someone from OC is talking to a non-Californian what do you think they will say, "I'm from LA" or "I'm from SoCal"?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 22, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

im saint germain posted:

I think they're called "California" and "Jefferson", respectively

*sad Central Valley noises*

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

"I'm from the LA area" because "SoCal" generally doesn't include San Diego which makes little sense to non-Californians.

I can also say "I live south of LA, closer to Disneyland" but it depends on who I'm talking to.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kenning posted:

*sad Central Valley noises*

Central Valley is the middle part of the Venn diagram

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Don't forget that the Los Angeles Angels are based in Anaheim.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

sb hermit posted:

Don't forget that the Los Angeles Angels are based in Anaheim.

Yeah because their fandom is full of white chuds who decided to stop going to Dodgers games because it was "too urban".

Also have some bad news for you about NY city NFL teams

The point stands. We regard OC as behind the orange curtain. You can literally tell when you've crossed the border into it by the covid mask usage.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

America Inc. posted:

There's essentially one urban area from New York to Washington DC but that doesn't mean they're all the same city. I definitely see LA and OC as two different places.

If someone from OC is talking to a non-Californian what do you think they will say, "I'm from LA" or "I'm from SoCal"?

All non-Californians want to know how far away you are from LA anyway, so it comes up regardless of how you present it yourself

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Someone in an elevator in Vegas asked where i was from and I said LA. He just looked at me and then asked the other person next to me the same question.

"OH Alberta! I love Alberta!"

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

sb hermit posted:

"I'm from the LA area" because "SoCal" generally doesn't include San Diego....

:wrong:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

sb hermit posted:

"I'm from the LA area" because "SoCal" generally doesn't include San Diego which makes little sense to non-Californians.

I can also say "I live south of LA, closer to Disneyland" but it depends on who I'm talking to.

This is nonsense. San Diego is 100% SoCal.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's literally as south as you can get.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
OC is LA unless you're from LA, then it's a twilight zone mirror image of LA

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Someone in an elevator in Vegas asked where i was from and I said LA. He just looked at me and then asked the other person next to me the same question.

"OH Alberta! I love Alberta!"

the gently caress, how? am i thinking of the same alberta?

when i was detained at the russian-georgian border, the nice, extremely bored 20something FSB agent (probably the only person who spoke english in the entire place) asked me if me if i had met arnold scharzenegger on my way out of the interrogation

i disappointed him, i think

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

sb hermit posted:

"SoCal" generally doesn't include San Diego which makes little sense to non-Californians.

As someone who was born and raised in San Diego and Escondido, this assertion doesn’t make sense to me either, and I’m curious as to why you think it’s the case.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Wife and I met someone at a fancy restaurant in northern sweden (yes, that one) who went
"Oh i'm from the bay area"
"Oh cool, us too"
"Actually I'm from Napa kinda"
"Rad, we're in the city"
"Where at?"
"The mission"
"Ah gotcha, actually i'm from Redding"

Like I get not wanting to be associated with Redding, but you could at least say like, Orinda or Walnut Creek instead of trying to pretend Redding is part of the Bay

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

luminalflux posted:

Wife and I met someone at a fancy restaurant in northern sweden (yes, that one) who went
"Oh i'm from the bay area"
"Oh cool, us too"
"Actually I'm from Napa kinda"
"Rad, we're in the city"
"Where at?"
"The mission"
"Ah gotcha, actually i'm from Redding"

Like I get not wanting to be associated with Redding, but you could at least say like, Orinda or Walnut Creek instead of trying to pretend Redding is part of the Bay

I'm from the bay area

Inland empire.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i would think people from Redding would emphatically want to say they are not from the bay

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Reno is more a suburb of the Bay Area than Redding.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe the Bay Area includes its entire watershed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CPColin posted:

Maybe the Bay Area includes its entire watershed

The bay area is everything west of Texas.

We need a sandwich alignment chart with areas that could be considered the bay area. I will be a doctrinal extremist and say that only SF Oakland and Marin are the bay area. All other counties are not.