Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Danaru posted:

It 100% counters Lulu's blizzaga in the next episode :colbert:

It was her Fury overdrive, but I didn't expect that to make a difference

Oh wow, I didn't remember that at all.

So much for my suggestion. My bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

It 100% counters Lulu's blizzaga in the next episode :colbert:

It was her Fury overdrive, but I didn't expect that to make a difference

That's interesting. And there was that time Reflect didn't bounce her fury.... Is Lulu's overdrive a physical attack in the code, I wonder?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 59 - Banking This All On Wakka

He actually does a number of unexpected things, so maybe he was just feeling extra spicy :psyduck:

Grace
Dec 18, 2015

C'MON SOMETHING AWFUL LETS GET SICK'NIIIIIING

Akratic Method posted:

I'm unreasonably amused by Grace's stupid Yuna voice.

yuna&

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grace's Wakka's "I've got some strong opinions about Al Bhed!" reminded me of the best thing from 2020

And I am indeed excited for the next episode.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

looking forward to the LP merch shirt

Gooba&
Yuna&
Auron&
Kimahri

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Broken Box posted:

Gooba&
Yuna&
Auron&
Kimahri

on the back, in big letters: I poo poo MY PENIS

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Finally, this fight! It's so nice that they let you go back to the save point after that cutscene at least. They knew, in a game filled with "how on earth did this get through testing", that this particular fight was going to be a stumbling block.

I'm going with 2 wipes at low boss HP, entirely because Dan loses track of who's got zombieproof when shuffling people in to get AP and ends up with three of a kind on the field at once.

I love this fight as a story telling tool. It's a fantastic gateway to the final act; symbolically it's Gooba& finally saving Yuna& from the death spiral so she can realize she's the author of her own fate while literally saving her from the final summoning, while also mechanically being the gateway that opens the entire world up to be explored instead of being on a predetermined path.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Akratic Method posted:

I'm unreasonably amused by Grace's stupid Yuna voice.

I look forward to it every drat time Yuna runs out

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Broken Box posted:

Gooba&
Yuna&
Auron&
Kimahri

GREG!!! In bit comic book font

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

GrandmaParty posted:

GREG!!! In bit comic book font

Though if I could make a suggestion, "Grussy" seems more snappy for merch than "Gregussy."

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Snappier maybe, but lacks the punch Gregussy has.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

After your chat with Yunalesca, there's something that will make your life much easier.

Use the Search command on the Airship and click around until you find Baaj Temple. You can't do the Big Thing there, but you can kill the very easy boss. If the boss doesn't drop a weapon, reload and do it again.

This is the easiest way to get the extremely tasty No Encounters ability.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 60 - Yunalesca Extravaganza

Let's get this started :cripes:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
hell yeah let's go

e: lmao I didn't know damage from a Potion triggered Auto-Potion, that's really funny. How recursive is that, I wonder?

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 23, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How fitting is it that Wakka scores the finishing blow and also it's a crit?

There was a reeeeeaaaaaal scary moment there near the end but you did it!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Nice job Dan!

First try too! Good thing since you have to watch that entire 5 minute cutscene every time you die.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I got to grind for an hour before Grace woke up and started hissing at me, so I scooped up all the monsters in the calm lands which got me a bunch of farplane winds. I almost impulse shoved death touch onto a weapon, but when I saw I could put deathproof onto someone, well

I probably would have cried if Megadeath was it's own effect and not Death specifically

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The true champion strategy is to spend a bit more time stealing Candles of Life from the ghost enemies in Zanarkand. I think just ten of them gets you Zombieproof. I put that and Deathproof on the Echo Ring that Yuna always seems to have by this point, and buy a bunch of Holy Waters beforehand. The second and third phases aren't too bad at that point - I got into a rhythm of having a character near death use Holy Water so Yuna could Curaga them, and if they got Mega Deathed before the next Hellbiter, oh well. They'd come back un-zombied anyway.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Nicely done! It's not an easy fight.

And I don't think they ever spell it out more explicitly than this, but there you have another piece of how this all started: Auron can go back to Gooba& Zanarkand because Yunalesca killed his rear end when he came back. But he could not give a gently caress about dying, and so remained. Being pure pyreflies I guess the reality/dream barrier is more permeable for him.

e: and yep, no ultimate Gooba& weapon for you. There's now a super boss waiting in her room, blocking the crest.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 23, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Danaru posted:

I got to grind for an hour before Grace woke up and started hissing at me, so I scooped up all the monsters in the calm lands which got me a bunch of farplane winds. I almost impulse shoved death touch onto a weapon, but when I saw I could put deathproof onto someone, well

I probably would have cried if Megadeath was it's own effect and not Death specifically

Deathproof vs Deathstrike is a legit hard decision. On the one hand, Deathstrike lets you wipe out random encounters with great ease, and Death attacks aren't that common. On the other hand, death attacks are really bad when you encounter them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Eh, having a capture weapon with deathstrike is clearly the superior choice.
But well, the decision let Dan get past this boss so it worked out well.

Congrats Dan, you did good.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 23, 2022

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

cant cook creole bream posted:

Eh, having a capture weapon with deathstrike is clearly the superior choice.
But well, the decission let Dan get past this boss so it worked out well.

Congrats Dan, you did good.

I honestly thought deathstrike would cancel out capture :negative:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
After finishing watching it, you actually made some good decissions there.
When you almost used a mega phoenix, which would have killed Auron, you'd have lost because Yunalesca was about to cast megadeath directly afterwards. Really good job there!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Danaru posted:

I honestly thought deathstrike would cancel out capture :negative:

I also assumed that. Don't feel bad.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh, yeah. You did not get that really important quasi-missable item in Yunalescas room. You might still be able to from the save after the fight, but getting it once you leave is a major hassle.
I really hope that this advice reaches you in time.
In order to get that you need to use those weird warpy stairs in both directions, I think.

On the other hand, to make good use out of that thing you need to be quite good and really patient and lucky at Chocobo Racing!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 23, 2022

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Congratulations on getting past this often-troublesome boss!

Auron's speech in the cutscene beforehand is great the first time around, but after enough deaths and reattempts, it starts to feel kind of tedious. Not that I would know anything about that. :cheeky:

When I was playing FFX as a teenager, I thought at first that the jittery-staticky bit of the pre-boss cutscene was because I had a defective disk or something, but of course I found out later that it's like that on purpose.

It's funny how Yunalesca could have avoided so much trouble if she had just... like... lied. "Oh, yeah, sure, Sin will totally be gone for good eventually one of these days! Once enough of Spira's people are thoroughly-atoned Yevonites and Spira sends enough sacrificial lambs summoners to Final Summon at Sin, Spira's troubles will be over. No worries."

Though it's possible that, after a thousand years chilling out in Zanarkand as a bikini-clad zombie Unsent, she's sick enough of all this crap that she figures she may as well try and provoke whoever comes by and asks the right questions into kicking her rear end right to the Farplane.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

PepperedMoth posted:

Congratulations on getting past this often-troublesome boss!

Auron's speech in the cutscene beforehand is great the first time around, but after enough deaths and reattempts, it starts to feel kind of tedious. Not that I would know anything about that. :cheeky:

When I was playing FFX as a teenager, I thought at first that the jittery-staticky bit of the pre-boss cutscene was because I had a defective disk or something, but of course I found out later that it's like that on purpose.

It's funny how Yunalesca could have avoided so much trouble if she had just... like... lied. "Oh, yeah, sure, Sin will totally be gone for good eventually one of these days! Once enough of Spira's people are thoroughly-atoned Yevonites and Spira sends enough sacrificial lambs summoners to Final Summon at Sin, Spira's troubles will be over. No worries."

Though it's possible that, after a thousand years chilling out in Zanarkand as a bikini-clad zombie Unsent, she's sick enough of all this crap that she figures she may as well try and provoke whoever comes by and asks the right questions into kicking her rear end right to the Farplane.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if she lied or not. Lulu was ready to go all in before they walked into that room, and the only reason the question was even asked was because Gooba& had been questioning everything from day one of the trip. Duty and honor and sacrifice for the greater good is so engrained into the very fabric of the culture that they almost certainly never ask. Why bother lying when they're still going to continue on the death spiral anyway?

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Auron making his way back to Zanarkand after Braska dies just to throw down with Yunalesca is part of why he's the GOAT. And he made the trip from Zanarkand, down Mount Gagazet and through the Calm Lands while mortally wounded. Badass.

Also a cool detail about the music in Yunalesca's room. You can hear all the Hymns of the Fayth on YouTube, there's a different one for each temple, each sung by that temple's respective fayth. Then there's the Zanarkand one, which is sung by a lot of voices, and they're all kind of distorted and not harmonizing at all. You can hear that the fayth hanging around Zanarkand are just straight-up not having a good time.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 24, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

pointlessone posted:

The thing is, it doesn't matter if she lied or not. Lulu was ready to go all in before they walked into that room, and the only reason the question was even asked was because Gooba& had been questioning everything from day one of the trip. Duty and honor and sacrifice for the greater good is so engrained into the very fabric of the culture that they almost certainly never ask. Why bother lying when they're still going to continue on the death spiral anyway?

Also Auron is right there and she knows he figured it all out last time

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Something that isn't outright stated, but explains a lot is the idea that this is how she handles any summoner who isn't willing to go on after learning what it takes to get the Final Aeon.

It is heavily implied that most summoners don't manage to complete their pilgrimages. At least one is implied to have died fighting Sin, but it makes a lot of sense if Yunalesca's response to "I give up" is to kill you.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The other implication is that this is a closely guarded secret, but... there are a lot of Summoners who have multiple Guardians, and only one of those becomes the Final Aeon. What happens to the rest? Has there never been one who left afterward, recognized the new Sin as the previous Final Aeon, and went back to tell someone what they'd learned? True, they probably wouldn't know anything about Yu Yevon, but even just knowing that the Final Aeon becomes the new Sin would be a pretty good indicator that the Final Summoning isn't doing anything to affect the death cycle in any meaningful way.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nidoking posted:

The other implication is that this is a closely guarded secret, but... there are a lot of Summoners who have multiple Guardians, and only one of those becomes the Final Aeon. What happens to the rest? Has there never been one who left afterward, recognized the new Sin as the previous Final Aeon, and went back to tell someone what they'd learned? True, they probably wouldn't know anything about Yu Yevon, but even just knowing that the Final Aeon becomes the new Sin would be a pretty good indicator that the Final Summoning isn't doing anything to affect the death cycle in any meaningful way.

i don't think it's obvious what the new Sin is. it just looks like the big sky whale every time. the Jecht aeon is somewhere inside and looks like, well, Jecht (but large)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That particular issue is solved by the earlier explanation that successfully taking down Sin is rare. How summoners with multiple guardians handle the situation is not explained, but it is perfectly reasonable to assume that they have always failed for one reason or another (you can kind of learn from Belgemine that the Final Aeon isn't guaranteed to do the job), so it is entirely plausible that nobody's every been in a position to see that before Auron.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly it's probably as easy as "keep this as a secret of Yevon" and other guardians just kinda went with it since their actual Christ figure said to do so. Until Jecht showed up and started scooting his rear end on the carpet, nobody really had any doubts or objections to the system.

Also fun fact we had time to record exactly one episode today and due to my PC insisting on setting my mic to half volume whenever I boot it up, all our audio was below the noise gate :negative: end me

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well at least you only lost one episode.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nidoking posted:

There's a couple of reasons even without Yunalesca offing anyone who isn't on-board.

Firstly, not everyone manages the pilgrimage, only a small fraction make it to the end.
Most summoners only have like two or three guardians. Yuna's group is called out as being unusually large multiple times.
There have literally only been four successful High Summoners, so the pool of surviving guardians is pretty low in the first place.
Most of them are pretty happy to buy the hope explanation.

And the time between some of the Calms has been long enough that some guardians just die in the interim.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I mean, the summoners and guardians already walk in knowing they're on a suicide mission to buy their loved ones some time. The only real change is that Fantasy Jesus' Ghost doesn't have a long term solution either. That doesn't really change the calculus for someone that hasn't been groomed by auron and a summoned spirit of sports ball into questioning the church's blatant lies.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Oh dang, I actually caught up.

How much of this game are you planning to do, again? There are some absurd optional bosses which require absurd grinding, which are the only things I didn't do when I played the original release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's some abuse tricks that can cut hours of grinding down to minutes if it comes to that.