Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Unsurprisingly a lot of Americans forget they're in the minority and your experience is not reality for the rest of the world. WhatsApp is the norm, not texting. So green vs blue bubbles does not mean anything here. I have an iPhone, it's not like I'm a stranger to it and it's ecosystem.

bull3964 posted:

It's important to note that Camera2 API implementation and support across devices is... spotty. It's not a binary works or doesn't thing. There are like 4 different levels of support with varying capabilities.

Also, Camera2 API will only provide access to HAL post processing. If there's significant processing in the camera app to get the final image for a particular device, that processing isn't done when using Camera2.

Correct, but that's far FAR cry better and different than claiming what the other guy did above in that all the social media apps do their own camera and all suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

However, it's important to not discount the fact that Q1 2022 smartphone shipments for the US alone were only 2 million below all of Europe (39mil vs 41mil) so the percentage of smartphone share in the US can have ripple effects elsewhere in the world.

Apple's prevalence in the US creates certain momentum. How long till banks start deprecating their Android app in favor of Apple's Passkeys support for auth? How long until car makers start charging extra for physical keys because you need to use your iPhone to unlock the car? How long till there's iPhone only security lines at the airport because there's contactless instant verification of ID at the checkpoint?

Sure, a lot of this is Google's fault for not getting out ahead with an open standard first, but that's also not their primary business. Apple will continue to use their market share in the US to create little frictions for anyone outside the ecosystem and everything else gets pulled along via inertia.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've never used whatsapp. I just use sms/mms and fb messenger

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Volguus posted:

Because I download a file. It's on my computer. 2GB in size. And I need it on my phone (to watch it later, maybe when I'm in a place that doesn't have wifi and because I'm not willing to consume my data plan for that). Now, I have two options:

1. Open up the browser, sign in into google, go to google drive and upload said file there only to download it again on my phone
2. Plug the usb cable into the phone and copy it over. 5 seconds flat.
Eh you don't need to use the browser, just move the file from the download directory to the Google drive directory on your computer. Definitely way faster than looking for your phone and plugging it in and copying it over.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

you clearly don't understand the general population (in america) and are applying your own bias to the topic.

my evidence is also anecdotal, but i've worked at a number of tech companies over the last decade where most people are at the very least slightly above average in tech literacy ranging to much more advanced. most people just text their friends in the default messaging app without worrying about other services or handles or whatever.

Eh I excluded America in my statement

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have a couple friends who exclusively communicate via Snapchat, I wish I could pry them away

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

Eh you don't need to use the browser, just move the file from the download directory to the Google drive directory on your computer. Definitely way faster than looking for your phone and plugging it in and copying it over.

I did not setup the fuse gdrive mount on my computer since I never felt the need to. Still, the same concept applies: uploading to gdrive to download to the phone to delete from gdrive vs simple copy over usb. Not only it's faster, just the wastefulness of such a process makes me shudder. Traffic for traffic's sake. Time wasted for no reason at all.

Now that I'm thinking about it, as it looks like most people do not care for such a capability, they may even come in the future with the usb port removed completely: wireless charger, upload to cloud if you want files, etc. And oh, buy a development kit if you want to make programs for the device, like consoles do. And it may work, since nobody will give a poo poo. Sad day for everyone, even for the most die hard fans since it will inevitably mean an even higher entry barrier for developers.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Volguus posted:

I did not setup the fuse gdrive mount on my computer since I never felt the need to. Still, the same concept applies: uploading to gdrive to download to the phone to delete from gdrive vs simple copy over usb. Not only it's faster, just the wastefulness of such a process makes me shudder. Traffic for traffic's sake. Time wasted for no reason at all.

Now that I'm thinking about it, as it looks like most people do not care for such a capability, they may even come in the future with the usb port removed completely: wireless charger, upload to cloud if you want files, etc. And oh, buy a development kit if you want to make programs for the device, like consoles do. And it may work, since nobody will give a poo poo. Sad day for everyone, even for the most die hard fans since it will inevitably mean an even higher entry barrier for developers.

You can wirelessly connect your phone to your computer without using cloud services.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Volguus posted:

Sad day for everyone

I will not be sad at all when this day comes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

After all the hype, especially in US outlets, Nothing phone isn't actually being released in the US.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/22/23178221/nothings-phone-1-usa-release-date

Geez, thanks for Nothing.

but seriously I was kinda interested in the phone - still want to see what it's like. I like the design language

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

You can wirelessly connect your phone to your computer without using cloud services.

Yes, I already do that with KDE Connect. Still faster to transfer files over a cable. I mean ... the only reason to not use an USB cable that I can see is stubbornness . Which is why this is so baffling. There is a simple and fast solution, but folks have figured out the most convoluted and round-about poo poo to not do it. But, whatever, you do you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did you watch the MKBHD hands on video? The lights are actually pretty cool in what they can do (900 different LEDs). Notification stuff, fill light for camera. I just don't know if the light gimmick will be enough if the fundamentals aren't there.

That said, gently caress Carl Pei in his blatant bait and switch marketing. He had to know from the beginning that he wasn't going to bring it to the US market, yet he relentlessly used US based tech media to build the hype machine knowing full well it wouldn't even get a quarter of the coverage if it wasn't going to be available in this market.

If I were the likes of MKBHD in the future I would just ignore future projects from Nothing until they are released unless they are very upfront about availability.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Volguus posted:

Yes, I already do that with KDE Connect. Still faster to transfer files over a cable. I mean ... the only reason to not use an USB cable that I can see is stubbornness . Which is why this is so baffling. There is a simple and fast solution, but folks have figured out the most convoluted and round-about poo poo to not do it. But, whatever, you do you.

To me, it's more convoluted to move my phone next to a computer and plug a cable into both than it is to just transfer the files wirelessly.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

To me, it's more convoluted to move my phone next to a computer and plug a cable into both than it is to just transfer the files wirelessly.

My phone is always on the desk where my computer is, since that's where I am all the time. The cables are also on the desk since I need a bunch of them for various crap that I have to plug in (little projects that I have on the go all the time, from arduino to all kinds of boards) and work on. It'd be quite the hassle to do it any other way.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I will not be sad at all when this day comes.

While I do not know the future, my expectation would be for when that day comes that lone developers for the platform will pretty much cease to exist at that point. All there'll be left would be the studios, and big corporations. While the lone developers do make a lot of crap, there are always gems to be found, applications that otherwise would not exist if the entry barrier would be higher. And you'll have less choice. And all the games (for example) will be like this one . And I think you will indeed be sad. In time.

Or, who knows, maybe then another platform will appear that will be more open and standardized that will eat the lunch of the big boys.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Volguus posted:

My phone is always on the desk where my computer is, since that's where I am all the time. The cables are also on the desk since I need a bunch of them for various crap that I have to plug in (little projects that I have on the go all the time, from arduino to all kinds of boards) and work on. It'd be quite the hassle to do it any other way.

My point is that your nerdy use case is in the small minority, so your befuddled condescension is amusing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
went to a local hole-in-the-wall verizon outlet with one employee, he said he's never heard of a phone factory resetting from a fall, but if it did, everything not in the cloud is gone for good. he was busy with other customers so I'll try to swing by the larger verizon store a bit farther away and see if they can crack it open and recover anything, if there's an SD card etc in it. it's a newer android so I don't think I'm able to pop it open myself like I can with my note 3(which, regrettably, I'm going to have to replace soon. man, what a trooper of a phone)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Volguus posted:

Yes, I already do that with KDE Connect.

That's what I use to wirelessly transfer files and stuff - even the Windows client for it is good.

Also, regarding iMessage, I myself have had no problems with texting people on iPhones and even group chats have been fine. Pictures go back and forth and the only clue I have that I'm not texting people on Android was those weird text transcriptions of Apple emojis.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'd like to thank Android 12 for completely breaking Bluetooth on my P6. Great feature.

The idea of ditching ports entirely on phones is insane. Even if you could do all your data transfer wirelessly with no downsides, wireless charging will never be an option for a lot of realistic scenarios that many users find themselves in.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

K8.0 posted:

I'd like to thank Android 12 for completely breaking Bluetooth on my P6. Great feature.
it was working on your p6 before android 12?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Volguus posted:

While I do not know the future, my expectation would be for when that day comes that lone developers for the platform will pretty much cease to exist at that point. All there'll be left would be the studios, and big corporations. While the lone developers do make a lot of crap, there are always gems to be found, applications that otherwise would not exist if the entry barrier would be higher. And you'll have less choice. And all the games (for example) will be like this one . And I think you will indeed be sad. In time.

Or, who knows, maybe then another platform will appear that will be more open and standardized that will eat the lunch of the big boys.

Why does this thread attract such weirdos

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My sister, an iPhone user, insists on using Hangouts as much as possible.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

My point is that your nerdy use case is in the small minority, so your befuddled condescension is amusing.

It may be the small minority, but it is my use case. And that means that I will not be using a phone that makes this use case impossible. If that means that in 5 years I cannot use the latest and greatest gadget then that'd be perfectly fine. And this is also why I am not and have not ever considered an iPhone. I am not condescending anyone, it all started with the ... "but iPhone" discussion, to which I only stated my reasons for not using one. You, and others, seem to be surprised that someone is still using USB cables in TYOOL 2022, and how dare they not take the round about path.

CLAM DOWN posted:

These are the android users (there's dozens of us). I am not even remotely curious on the weirdos that are crawling the iPhone thread, if there's one.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

K8.0 posted:

butt dickus posted:

it was working on your p6 before android 12?

I had issues with my p6p post android 12 after a security update. Not sure if your issue is diff but ::

deong posted:

codo27, I was having issues with my p6p/android12/crv infotainment. I could hear the audio but couldn't control anything, nor get any information. I forget who, but they suggested changing the AVRCP version to 1.3 (default is 1.5) and that fixed my problems. You have to enable developer mode to get the setting. Once you change it, delete the pairing from both the car and phone and repair.

\/\/\/\/
You're the one that told me the fix actually. Thanks again! I've fixed 2 other peoples same issue. Both also Honda.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CLAM DOWN posted:

:ironicat:

But my guess would be a niche hobby in a corner of a dying(?) comedy website utilizing a dying medium of communication attracts weirdos.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The most recent p6p update made the Battery Saver REALLY aggressive to the point that it was causing my smartwatch to disconnect constantly that I had to turn the feature off. There really needs to be some more control over how aggressively it closes apps in the background.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Today I learned that Google Photos is functionally another instant messaging service where your shared photos are "conversations" and you can also send text messages.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
google pay is also a messaging service

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pfft, welcome to 2019 Grandpa!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Add me to the pile of users who plug in their phones with cables to transfer files

Hoping we can have more of us posting to make the naysayers looks dumb haha

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

can't remember the last time i plugged my phone into any computer for any reason.

photos are in the cloud. if i need a photo quick/can't rely on cloud i will just message it to myself on fb messenger or upload to a hidden imgur album.

songs are on spotify. if it's a song a friend sends me that they made or from a small band not on spotify, it's usually on bandcamp or accessed via a dropbox link or something.

i am not posting this to say my way is the right way and everyone else is dumb. genuinely curious to know the use case for folks who plug in to transfer stuff.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ShoogaSlim posted:

i am not posting this to say my way is the right way and everyone else is dumb. genuinely curious to know the use case for folks who plug in to transfer stuff.

:filez:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

lol fair

i used to bother but i'm too old to care about that kind of thing anymore. also, again, i would bet that over 90% of your average user/customer base has no idea how to do that kind of thing or that it's even possible

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
That's what Plex is for.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's what Plex is for.

something we can agree on. very thankful for my buddy who lets me access his plex server.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
:hfive:

Plex is fantastic, I use it for all my completely legal Linux ISOs

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I didn't buy tons of albums on bandcamp not to listen to them in flac quality!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I paid extra for the storage to have a huge drive in my pocket. Why not use that to transfer files real fast? Always having a jump drive is nice, no need to login to a website and wait for uploader.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I live in Canada where our cell plan prices are insane. Highway robbery. So no, I am not using my data plan to watch a movie that I can put on the phone. Doesn't matter how I got that movie, streaming while not on wifi is not an option.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Alan_Shore posted:

I didn't buy tons of albums on bandcamp not to listen to them in flac quality!

Does the Bandcamp app eat your battery fast?

I only use it to stream stuff off the internet, so that may be why. Stuff I buy, I download.

(I've been ripping CDs and buying mp3s for decades, been using MediaMonkey for almost as long, and turns out they have an Android app that let's me wirelessly sync over Wi-Fi, which is perfect for my needs.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Captain Invictus posted:

went to a local hole-in-the-wall verizon outlet with one employee, he said he's never heard of a phone factory resetting from a fall, but if it did, everything not in the cloud is gone for good. he was busy with other customers so I'll try to swing by the larger verizon store a bit farther away and see if they can crack it open and recover anything, if there's an SD card etc in it. it's a newer android so I don't think I'm able to pop it open myself like I can with my note 3(which, regrettably, I'm going to have to replace soon. man, what a trooper of a phone)

There should be a slot for MicroSD card. Depending on which generation of A51 it is, it's either dedicated slot or it shares the SIM slot.