Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Can't believe nobody has made the obvious connection between popclaw, mesmer, the Whigs and the Know Nothings. Like, once they brought in Lamplighter I figured it was too on the nose and everyone would catch it but :shrug:

This season's done a pretty solid job of showing Hughie's transformation from the canary to being the problem... and that if he thought he could have been as good at being a Boy as he was a bureaucrat, he probably wouldn't have objected from the start. I was concerned that they were going to position him more selflessly but thought they've done well in hammering how selfserving his descent has been (and how empty his justifications are). Moments have been too blunt for my taste, but Boys fandom makes a compelling case against nuance in media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish
Since I first saw Ashley, I thought I must have seen the actress in something else and she wasn't just reminding me of Heike Makatsch.

But after looking at Colby Minifie's filmography, it turns out I've seen none of it. So I guess she just really reminded me of Heike Makatsch (pictured below)!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah they both have those wide almond shaped cat eyes, easy mistake to make

Jesus I thought Antony’s accent was thick but Claudia Doumin is an INCREDIBLE actress she sounds like a 100% completely different person!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

homelander didn't want the muslim or black woman into the seven and let the deep in instead and people are still wondering if he's a racist sexist super incel

i can't... lol

hE'S nOt RaCiSt He'S jUsT sElFiSh

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Rushputin posted:

Since I first saw Ashley, I thought I must have seen the actress in something else and she wasn't just reminding me of Heike Makatsch.

But after looking at Colby Minifie's filmography, it turns out I've seen none of it. So I guess she just really reminded me of Heike Makatsch (pictured below)!

She and Erin Moriarty are both in Jessica Jones. Minifie is VERY different than Ashley in that.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Rushputin posted:

she was virginia in fear the walking dead, if you watch/ed that trash

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Homelander serves a taco bowl and talks in some broken Spanish to Supersonic just because he has an Spanish name.

“No Muslims in the 7”

*lots of other scenes*

How the hell are people saying it’s not that he’s racist, he doesn’t see color lmao

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Homelander fucks, ok?!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A lot is getting lost in jumping on low hanging fruit and quoting people who are quoting others. People were making the point that Homelander's main goal is not white supremacy, it's his own supremacy and secondarily superhero supremacy, which is his difference with Stormfront. But like any bully - once you have something in particular for him to pick on about you that makes you different in any way, he's going to just focus on that, it's not like how won't do the same with any white hero that he feels like bullying either, it's just easy for him to go on visuals before he actually knows someone. They were making an action and motivation differential, not saying his actions weren't racist. He's going to say and do racist, sexist, homophobic, and abelist stuff constantly because he's a gigantic insecure bully that tries to find your weakness and poke at it.

Darko fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 22, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bobjr posted:

What’s kind of funny is the Muslim hero has mind reading powers, so outside of the racism aspects it’s something Homelander really doesn’t like, if his interaction with Mesmer is any indication

And yet she didn’t see the Deep twist coming so how good can she be?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

A lot is getting lost in jumping on low hanging fruit and quoting people who are quoting others. People were making the point that Homelander's main goal is not white supremacy, it's his own supremacy and secondarily superhero supremacy, which is his difference with Stormfront. But like any bully - once you have something in particular for him to pick on about you that makes you different in any way, he's going to just focus on that, it's not like how won't do the same with any white hero that he feels like bullying either, it's just easy for him to go on visuals before he actually knows someone. They were making an action and motivation differential, not saying his actions weren't racist. He's going to say and do racist, sexist, homophobic, and abelist stuff constantly because he's a gigantic insecure bully that tries to find your weakness and poke at it.

quoting this because its the only completely correct post RE the topic so far and i dont want it to get skipped

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Darko posted:

Agreed, I said earlier that he's like a middle school girl managing her clique. No one really likes the ringleader, but they all hang on that approval and put up with the insults, and for some reason escaping that toxicity either never occurs to them or they think they can't leave (and in this case, that's probably true).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

quoting this because its the only completely correct post RE the topic so far and i dont want it to get skipped

Gotta look at the writing crew, but any minority/LGBTQ+ person/etc. on that crew probably had a million microtransactions with people making fun of their difference. Some of those people are just ignorant of the context and the amount people here the same stuff, and how grating that is, some are just bullies, others are just actual bigots and hiding it behind jokes. They know these differences, and are writing it well on this show.

Homelander is basically a Danny McBride character without the deeply buried humanity and missing any hubris at all, which really is an ultra-scary thing. Even a lot of us that were bullied when young, grew up to a point where we can immediately shut any bully up in a social sense - but when it's a boss (and you can't quickly get another job or go to HR), a husband in a situation you can get out of, or the President, then it gets scary. Homelander works that way for every person on the planet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rushputin posted:

I did the same but I realized she was just reminding me of a young Martha Plimpton.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Darko posted:

Exactly. Homelander doesn't give a poo poo about anybody but himself and if you happen to be a minority, he will use your own racial awareness against you. He served tacos to Supersonic as an insult not because he gave a poo poo that he was hispanic, but because Homelander knew it would work as a power play to piss Supersonic off and make him uncomfortable. There's a difference.

Homelander is also not anti-Octopus simply because he made Deep eat Timothy. He doesn't give a poo poo about octopuses, but he knows Deep does, so Homelander leveraged that against Deep to force a meaningful gesture of fealty.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 22, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's only racist if you do it racistly in your mind on purpose

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

christmas boots posted:

And yet she didn’t see the Deep twist coming so how good can she be?

Clearly she saw that coming but thought,"Man they're really good at shielding their thoughts, they're deliberately projecting the stupidest loving thing anybody could ever do to the forefront of their minds so I can't see what is really happening. The 7 really are on a whole other level, it's so inspiring."

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Khanstant posted:

it's only racist if you do it racistly in your mind on purpose

Homelander performed a racist action specifically to offend a person who happened to he hispanic, but Homelander harbors no specifically reserved negative biases towards hispanic people, so Homelander is not a hispanic racist.

Homelander is not racist. He's an rear end in a top hat.

Hope that helps.

edit: conflating actual racism with general assholery is a bad idea. It makes it easier for actual racism to exist.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 22, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jerusalem posted:

Clearly she saw that coming but thought,"Man they're really good at shielding their thoughts, they're deliberately projecting the stupidest loving thing anybody could ever do to the forefront of their minds so I can't see what is really happening. The 7 really are on a whole other level, it's so inspiring."

She also read "if you spoil my fun I'll murder you to death" from Homelander.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Whole lotta posters itt weirdly dedicated to thinking a person is racist only if they intend to be but not if they just happen to say and do racist things. Interesting.

Homelander is racist. He's also a big baby man dipshit. These two things are not exclusionary of the other.

tokin opposition fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 22, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Darko posted:

Gotta look at the writing crew, but any minority/LGBTQ+ person/etc. on that crew probably had a million microtransactions with people making fun of their difference. Some of those people are just ignorant of the context and the amount people here the same stuff, and how grating that is, some are just bullies, others are just actual bigots and hiding it behind jokes. They know these differences, and are writing it well on this show.

You mean like having a guy sneer at you for being visibly queer on a public street?

Also why do bullies target those things if not for racism/homophobia/takeyourpickisms?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Respectfully, I think if someone does racist and sexist things it’s fair to consider them a racist or sexist even if their motivations for doing those things arises out of some pragmatic power-play and not simply a personal feeling.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Homelander is neither made of land or a home, something if off here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

The big twist at the end of season 4 is that he's been a homestead the whole time.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hughie and Starlight adopt one of those superkids and finally make this houselander a homelander.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Shima Honnou posted:

Wait till they introduce his rival from the comics, Business Ocean

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bussamove posted:

Hughie and Starlight adopt one of those superkids and finally make this houselander a homelander.

Teddy's going to teleport inside of Homelander and wear his skin like a suit.

crazy stupid theory time: Homelander had spiked Stillwell's pumped breastmilk with V for his own consumption but she gave Teddy the wrong bottle, hence the powers.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

This thread has enough BO

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The posting of the “who goes Nazi?” article a while back is good at making the implicit point that there isn’t one type of racist/Nazi, there are just people with enough rot in their souls that they say “sure, why not?”

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Bussamove posted:

My actual speculation for the series finale: Hughie and Starlight adopt Ryan.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm kinda surprised they haven't made mention of a supe named Tesla with some kind of electric powers, just to make a joke at Elon's expense.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm kinda surprised they haven't made mention of a supe named Tesla with some kind of electric powers, just to make a joke at Elon's expense.

“So there’s this supe cahnt roight? Finks he’s king poo poo,calls himself noel skum…”

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
thankyou racism understanders

your contribution to racism taxonomy will not be forgotten

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They're gonna use sign language to bypass Homelander's super hearing aren't they?

dodgeblan posted:

thankyou racism understanders

your contribution to racism taxonomy will not be forgotten

Homelander still isn't Semenese or an Areopagite, so he still has a way to go before he's really on top.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

If the supes name is Tesla then that kinda reads more as a Nikola Tesla=electricity thing bypassing Elon entirely.

What I’d like to see is Tech-Knight. The Batman/Iron man supe from the comics who has no powers beyond being a billionaire playing dress up.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

massive spider posted:

If the supes name is Tesla then that kinda reads more as a Nikola Tesla=electricity thing bypassing Elon entirely.

What I’d like to see is Tech-Knight. The Batman/Iron man supe from the comics who has no powers beyond being a billionaire playing dress up.

I would not want to see the odds on whether more people immediately associate 'Tesla' with Nikola Tesla than with the car company.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Always reminds me of

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

massive spider posted:

Tek-Knight is mentioned briefly on MM’s conspiracy wall in a headline.

I’d like to see how they handle that because outside of Compound V being a thing actual technology in the show has been more or less comparable to actual stuff. No real super-style tech to be seen.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Shooting Blanks posted:

Didn't they already make a supe with electricity powers with a backstory linked to a country with really problematic racial issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GreatGreen posted:

Homelander performed a racist action specifically to offend a person who happened to he hispanic, but Homelander harbors no specifically reserved negative biases towards hispanic people, so Homelander is not a hispanic racist.

Homelander is not racist. He's an rear end in a top hat.

Hope that helps.

edit: conflating actual racism with general assholery is a bad idea. It makes it easier for actual racism to exist.

"It's just heated gamer moments" the post. :lol: