Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Jefferson thought a lot of poo poo

Some of it was even good!

Anyway. I’ll leave it be with a Twitter thread that’s far more educational than any of the shitposting in here (mine included) on this topic.

https://twitter.com/MattPShaw/status/1539268132967133187

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Yeah, Espinoza and Trinity were both backwards nonsense and really set the foundation. Something to look forward to over the next few decades.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This just finished the circle that was begun with brown. Segregationists white flighted out of newly integrated schools into evangelical segregation academies. Guys like Buchanan in Virginia were supporting state support of these schools way back during the massive resistance days. It just took a 6-3 court to make it happen.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Didn't see this one mentioned: United States v. Taylor and the decision was 7-2, Thomas and Alito dissenting. Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion.
Supreme Court says certain gun crimes are not 'crimes of violence' under federal law

quote:

The Supreme Court ruled in favor of a Virginia man who is seeking to challenge one of his convictions for using a firearm in an attempted robbery. The ruling will allow the man to attempt to reduce his sentence by 10 years.

In a 7-2 decision Tuesday, the court decided that a conviction for attempted robbery under the federal Hobbs Act does not fit the definition of a "crime of violence," and therefore does not trigger an enhanced sentence when a firearm is used.

The ruling will allow the man, Justin Taylor, and other defendants who have received between five and 10 extra years tacked onto their sentences for attempted Hobbs Act robbery to now challenge those convictions and sentences.
Legal analysis:

quote:

In United States v. Taylor, Justin Taylor was charged with “conspiracy to commit Hobbs Act robbery and attempted Hobbs Act robbery,” which is robbery that affects interstate commerce. Taylor planned to steal money from Martin Sylvester with a co-conspirator. However when the co-conspirator met with Sylvester, the co-conspirator showed his gun to Sylvester demanding money. Sylvester did not comply with the co-conspirators demand and was fatally shot.

At the trial level Taylor pled guilty to conspiracy to commit Hobbs Act robbery and committing a “crime of violence” under 18 U.S.C. §924(c). Taylor appealed the §924(c) conviction to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit which vacated Taylor’s conviction. The US Justice Department appealed the Fourth Circuit’s decision.

Justice Neil Gorsuch, who wrote the majority opinion, said “Mr. Taylor may face up to 20 years in prison for violating the Hobbs Act. But he may not be lawfully convicted and sentenced under § 924(c) to still another decade in federal prison. ” Gorsuch stated that, because the government did not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Taylor “used, attempted to use, or threatened to use force,” Taylor did not violate 18 U.S.C. § 924(c).

However Justice Clarence Thomas described the majority opinion as “narrow categorical approach to §924(c)’s elements clause” in his dissent. Thomas stated that the majority sought to “nullify” §924(c)(3)(B), which covered crimes that had a substantial likelihood of becoming violent. The court already struck down that particular provision in United States v. Davis, where it was found to be unconstitutionally vague.

Alito also dissented from the majority opinion. He said that the majority has “no textual basis” for the finding that “attempted Hobbs Act robbery is not a ‘crime of violence’ under §924(c)(3)(A) because it is possible to commit that offense without attempting to use force.” He joined Thomas in commenting that the court “veered off into fantasy land.”
Seems alright to me. Falls into the very narrow area where Gorsuch has alright opinions. Little surprised to see ACB and :kav: signing on to the majority, but they might not have cared enough to dissent here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Didn’t the conservative majority narrowed some of congress’s poorly defined sentence enhancements somewhat recently?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Going to go out on a limb and guess Thomas's dissent opens with a detailed recounting of the crime.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Going to go out on a limb and guess Thomas's dissent opens with a detailed recounting of the crime.

Yes but only a paragraph. I guess he doesn’t have quite the same energy in non capital cases.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-1459_n7ip.pdf

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Court is releasing decisions Thursday and Friday this week

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Court is releasing decisions Thursday and Friday this week

Based on the number of cases left and how many they usually release a day, the abortion decision is most likely coming next week sometime.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes it will 100% be the last one they put out

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes it will 100% be the last one they put out

After the justices are safely 500 miles away from DC with their phones turned off.

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

So, I guess the answer to my question awhile back about if SCOTUS sits on decisions is that while they don't "sit" on them per se, they are willing to be all, "We'll finish this one LAST."

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The gun case will be second to last on the same day as the abortion case too

Also lol at studying for the bar exam right now when they are set to overturn the right to privacy

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not strictly SCOTUS yet, but loving :lmao: gee I wonder how they'll rule on this one:

https://twitter.com/juliabacha/status/1539673763658317824

e. https://twitter.com/juliabacha/status/1539676949215313921

Sydin fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 22, 2022

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If money = speech, then obviously not spending money is not speech, that's just math, bing bong so simple!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is the penalty for signing the pledge and then not doing business with Israel?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I mean we are like a week away from SCOTUS saying that abortion now gets to be a free-for-all depending on the state you happen to live in, so these bonkers decisions don’t surprise me at all anymore

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I am honestly surprised by this decision, because it seemed like such a clear violation of the first amendment that I didn't think any court would uphold the law.

American appeal courts are crazy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's a completely lunatic Trump judge writing the opinion, so yeah. There are now a lot of total cranks on the appellate courts thanks to the GOP essentially doing court packing once Trump came into office with all of these vacancies the GOP Senate held for him.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
"Ok so there is a rule that dogs can't play basketball, but he already scored all those points. We can't take them off the board"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cimber posted:

After the justices are safely 500 miles away from DC with their phones turned off.

Won't matter.

They're not going to be able to run from this. History will show them to be monsters, and this decision is going to haunt them the rest of their careers.

Frankly, I'm fine with them being hounded for the rest of their time on the bench. Not like they feel there is a right to privacy.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Won't matter.

They're not going to be able to run from this. History will show them to be monsters, and this decision is going to haunt them the rest of their careers.

Frankly, I'm fine with them being hounded for the rest of their time on the bench. Not like they feel there is a right to privacy.

not only will they be able to easily run from this, history might very well treat them as saviors. in fact this may be the shining pinnacle of their careers.

they'll never experience any consequences for this for their entire lives, and to their skewed moral framework it is not only entirely justified but empirically righteous.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Oh, they'll absolutely experience no meaningful consequences. The only people who'd ever be in a position to hold them to account in literally any way are too decorum obsessed to conceptualize the Court might not deserve the deference it grants itself.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Today and tomorrow are going to be release days. Don't expect any R v. W decisions today, they are going to release that tomorrow or in July.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a completely lunatic Trump judge writing the opinion, so yeah. There are now a lot of total cranks on the appellate courts thanks to the GOP essentially doing court packing once Trump came into office with all of these vacancies the GOP Senate held for him.

33 states have that law, so there's an awful lot of Americans who were cranks before even him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cimber posted:

Today and tomorrow are going to be release days. Don't expect any R v. W decisions today, they are going to release that tomorrow or in July.

There are fourteen cases left.

Hemphill v. New York
New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen
Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization
Becerra v. Empire Health Foundation
Concepcion v. United States
West Virginia v. Environmental Protection Agency (Consolidated with North American Coal Corporation v. Environmental Protection Agency, Westmoreland Mining Holdings v. Environmental Protection Agency, and North Dakota v. Environmental Protection Agency)
Ruan v. United States (Consolidated with Kahn v. United States)
Berger v. North Carolina State Conference of the NAACP
Torres v. Texas Department of Public Safety
Kennedy v. Bremerton School District
Vega v. Tekoh
Nance v. Ward
Oklahoma v. Castro-Huerta
Biden v. Texas

At the current pace of 5 opinions/day, they're not going to go much longer unless we get some single opinion days.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Monaghan posted:

I am honestly surprised by this decision, because it seemed like such a clear violation of the first amendment that I didn't think any court would uphold the law.

American appeal courts are crazy.

Especially since there's no way to ban not buying certain brands of consumer products, so it can only possibly apply to boycotts accompanied by speech. This isn't good for anyone, even conservatives, and it makes no goddamn sense. I honestly don't see Roberts or Gorsuch biting.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Especially since there's no way to ban not buying certain brands of consumer products, so it can only possibly apply to boycotts accompanied by speech. This isn't good for anyone, even conservatives, and it makes no goddamn sense. I honestly don't see Roberts or Gorsuch biting.

Calling my shot: State and Local Governments have Free Speech rights. Individuals can choose to boycott Israel. But then State and Local Governments can choose to boycott contractors who choose to boycott Israel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd have less of a problem (only slightly so but still) if these people were at least consistent with their insane positions. You can't say money is speech and then say boycotts aren't protected speech that's totally incoherent.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'd have less of a problem (only slightly so but still) if these people were at least consistent with their insane positions. You can't say money is speech and then say boycotts aren't protected speech that's totally incoherent.

No, you see, donating money is free speech. Spending, or conversely, not spending money is purely commercial activity and thus not speech.

If the anti-BDS law said they could not donate money to an anti-Israel PAC, it would be unconstitutional.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

They ARE consistent, the consistency is “gently caress you, obey us or suffer”

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'll spot them Alito because he's a shameless partisan political hack, and maybe Thomas because its impossible to predict where his bizarre brand of moon law will go on a new issue, but I'm having trouble believing this will get more than 2 votes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Two cases so far today.

12 left in the term. At least one more case today.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Next case of the day is an Alito joint that says you can't sue police for violating your miranda rights. Vega v. Tekoh.

Police can do whatever and there is zero recourse!

11 cases left in the term. At least one more today.

Final case is Bruen written by thomas 6-3. Reading now.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 23, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Now now, that evidence can’t be used at trial!

Sometimes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bruen - the nation is now shall issue for CCWs. Hawaii, especially, is going to feel the sting of this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Consistent with this Nation's historical tradition of firearm regulation, or least how it's been for the last 12 years, not the 234 before that

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1539980793963053056?s=21&t=nQ8vv9rwyFKvtjoSkeCeFw

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Why bother having any laws at all if people are just going to break them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

By that standard why have laws against robbery and murder

efb