Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

neoaxd posted:

"Eat My Fuc" and "yea ok" should go in the "usernames most fun to reply with" wing of the Posting Hall of Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

Been trying to figure out how to say this, it's still not great but here's my thoughts on this:

- Posting isn't political activism and people need to remember that

- Posting also isn't therapy and people need to remember that too

- It's not a personal attack on you when someone doesn't like your favourite wrestler

- It seems like people on both sides of this argument are looking at the worst rear end in a top hat of the opposing view and projecting that onto everyone of the opposing view

- If you're going to post a sweary rant about someone being bigoted you should really take a moment to think about how it'll be received. Cause when you come away from that situation with everyone thinking you're the dickhead then you hosed up

- Lid definitely didn't express things in a good way but there's a valid point at the core of his argument. A whole bunch of posters like STAC Goat, Lamuella, Thanlis and more have made very clear arguments which have just been ignored cause it's easier to attack Lid than defend yourself

- Some posters act like they're entitled to control discussion and get huffy when people talk about things they don't like

- Passive-aggressively #responding to posts with 'we've moved on' or 'post with joy in your heart' or 'OH BOY SURE HAPPY TO LOVE THAT AEW' is no different to telling people to shut up

- From what I can tell nobody on either side of the argument has any real desire to change so nothing is going to improve thread culture

- The only way things are going to get better is better moderation. Junpei is literally never around a karmic doesn't do a whole lot. An increase in using timeout sixers to cut off slapfighting would make a huge difference

- Everyone loves the Acclaimed (except probably Livid Liquid)

I wish I was eloquent, introspective and concise enough to have made this post to start with. I broke the dickhead clause badly and need to be better.

These two especially:
- Some posters act like they're entitled to control discussion and get huffy when people talk about things they don't like

- Passive-aggressively #responding to posts with 'we've moved on' or 'post with joy in your heart' or 'OH BOY SURE HAPPY TO LOVE THAT AEW' is no different to telling people to shut up

Put into words some of, but not all reasons, of what triggered my angry original post much clearer than me talking about indirect-bullying.

Cheers Rarity. You're one of the best people here and we'd be so much worse without you.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Rarity is a good egg and I'm still a bit pissed off that some joker decided to ruin their worst gimmick tournament by being a stupid jackass.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Lid posted:

Cheers Rarity. You're one of the best people here and we'd be so much worse without you.

I think this is something everybody can agree with.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Rarity is a good egg and I'm still a bit pissed off that some joker decided to ruin their worst gimmick tournament by being a stupid jackass.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

neoaxd posted:

I think this is something everybody can agree with.

Big time.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

someone kind of hit on this already, and I don't follow the AEW threads much anymore so maybe these observations are Outdated, but - the way I view the thread is, if I have an opinion that diverges from the thread consensus, I am better off not posting it all and seeing no discussion happen about it, rather than posting it and seeing the actual standoffish dumb-assed comments that will follow. now me, all I ever posted is about how cool Orange Cassidy was, but basically every time I saw an "unknown poster" come in and post what seemed like some honest thoughts that were not aligned with the AEW consensus, they would get some heavy pushback and regardless of if it was direct or not, the implication definitely always feels like "gtfo with your disagreements, this thread is for unity." the AEW thread is not for me, and for me that is okay, so I don't post there or read it. but there seem to be some people who would like the AEW thread to be for them even though it currently is not and folks, I am here to tell you - it's not happening; go find somewhere else to post about AEW. this place is not going to change.

every thread/subforum here has finely honed its Posting Vibes to the tune its regular posters would like over the 10 to 20 years we have all been posting here. the fine classic soap opera Dallas didn't change it up suddenly in the 14th season to pull in new viewers, because its aging sickly fanbase would have rioted and murdered them all. Somethingawful does not have to be your one stop shop for internet discussion; you can find somewhere else that posts about AEW that will accept you for the Adam Cole disliker you are. ty for coming

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
so you're saying this forum/subforum is like wwe

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

so you're saying this forum/subforum is like wwe

everyone here becoming what they hate the most would certainly be fitting

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah you gotta stand up and support it

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
never

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I hate Adam Cole deeply and people let me post in there. They might roast me over it but I mean, my hate is weird.

Join me, let’s bully Adam Cole Togetha

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Eat My Fuc posted:

I hate Adam Cole deeply and people let me post in there. They might roast me over it but I mean, my hate is weird.

I’ll never disrespect Adam Cole, he may be small but my love for him is large.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Eat My Fuc posted:

I gave people express permission to mock my Adam Cole takes. Cause I pretty much hate everything about him that gets him over.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

fez_machine posted:

Additionally, I would like to point out that there are people like Edge And Christian who used to make great effort posts in the forum but no longer do. Which suggests that posters have been voting with their feet.

I’m strongly resisting the urge to write some code to generate real data and this kind of post isn’t helping. I did do an eyeball on the weekly thread post count and it’s basically been static this year with a boost the last couple of weeks, but that’s not terribly good data by itself.

(I will succeed in that resistance, because it’s not gonna be particularly convincing to anyone.)

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

I gave people express permission to mock my Adam Cole takes. Cause I pretty much hate everything about him that gets him over.

You hate step stools?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eat My Fuc posted:

Every week must be a new delight for you as he's foiled again and again.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

I’ve tried to bully you out of here for years but you just keep coming back for more.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I’ve tried to bully you out of here for years but you just keep coming back for more.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Eat My Fuc posted:

You hate step stools?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

That boy needs some meat.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eat My Fuc posted:

I love to hate Adam cole

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

they way i have read all of this, this point is most apt

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

If I posted more in the AEW threads I would happily have your back

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

You have to forgive some of us if we get defensive over AEW sometimes.

WWE was so loving bad for so loving long and we never thought we'd have good, high-quality tv wrestling again. We can't help but be protective of this precious thing that Tony Khan has given us.

This is mostly a joke. I am mostly not being serious.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 23, 2022

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Rarity's post is really good, but I'm a little worried that multiple people have quoted a couple of lines of it and gone "this is the bit I most agree with". What I took from it is that there's stuff that both "sides" of this discussion could be doing better to make this a less lovely place to post, and it comes off that people have skim read it, found the bits that apply to the other side and mentally discarded the stuff that would actually require them to improve themselves.

I hope that's not what's happened!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i pet the little baby rowlet

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Cavauro posted:

the little baby rowlet continues to snooze, but also appreciates the petting

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Aye Doc posted:

someone kind of hit on this already, and I don't follow the AEW threads much anymore so maybe these observations are Outdated, but - the way I view the thread is, if I have an opinion that diverges from the thread consensus, I am better off not posting it all and seeing no discussion happen about it, rather than posting it and seeing the actual standoffish dumb-assed comments that will follow. now me, all I ever posted is about how cool Orange Cassidy was, but basically every time I saw an "unknown poster" come in and post what seemed like some honest thoughts that were not aligned with the AEW consensus, they would get some heavy pushback and regardless of if it was direct or not, the implication definitely always feels like "gtfo with your disagreements, this thread is for unity." the AEW thread is not for me, and for me that is okay, so I don't post there or read it. but there seem to be some people who would like the AEW thread to be for them even though it currently is not and folks, I am here to tell you - it's not happening; go find somewhere else to post about AEW. this place is not going to change.

every thread/subforum here has finely honed its Posting Vibes to the tune its regular posters would like over the 10 to 20 years we have all been posting here. the fine classic soap opera Dallas didn't change it up suddenly in the 14th season to pull in new viewers, because its aging sickly fanbase would have rioted and murdered them all. Somethingawful does not have to be your one stop shop for internet discussion; you can find somewhere else that posts about AEW that will accept you for the Adam Cole disliker you are. ty for coming

I hear ya. The problem is there aren't a lot of other places to go. The internet is huge now but it's vast desert: the large places are dangerous and lovely; the small little oasis are cool can only fulfill some of your needs. Maybe it would go better if I didn't dislike discords or group texts or DMs so much, but I do, so I'm stuck.

Cavauro posted:

Thank you for your service.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

"Everybody who doesn't like what's becoming of the forum should leave it" is not a good take.

Frankly, I'm tired of leaving spaces because saying bigotry and misogyny are bad is seen as causing trouble.

I've been running karaoke shows for twenty years, and no matter what one does, somebody's gonna' leave angry. So you make sure it's the right people. The people who get mad that they can't say the N word on stage, people who want to bribe their way to the top of the rotation and flip out when you tell them no, people who treat the staff well, but the other customers like poo poo, people who creep on women...

Right now, this forum has decided to make newcomers and old-timers alike uncomfortable and unwelcome by prioritizing the shittiest people's good time over everybody else's. And if no matter what you do, it's going to anger somebody, you might as well do the things that anger the people who are ruining everybody else's good time instead of prioritizing them because they're the most loyal regulars who are there every week because when you do that, wouldn't you know, you eventually wind up with more regulars; not less.

Every time I become convinced I'm the problem here, I leave, only to pop my head back in months or years later to find that nothing has changed and I wasn't the problem at all. The forum needs a puppy to kick and if it doesn't have one, it'll manufacture one, because some people can't have a good time unless they see somebody else when they look down, and since they know they're poo poo, they'll push people down and point and laugh at the clumsy dipshit who tripped.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

No, it's actually time to stop pretending there are "the lovely people" on here and they deserve to be treated like dogshit racists, sexists, or whatever else whenever you are mad. Everyone who posts here regularly is a regular person and the occasional lovely rear end in a top hat gets a long probe or ban. The reason people keep getting run off when they come here and try to really harm people by calling them the worst possible things in the world is because of that alone. Whether you mean to or not you are directly comparing " The people who get mad that they can't say the N word on stage" to people on here, and it doesn't track at all.

A person trying to use marginalization and mistreatment of people in the world as a weapon against whoever they want, is evil and hosed up, and doesn't belong on here as a trump card to be used when somebody is getting critiqued for saying something stupid.

That type of stuff is not relevant to the conversation of people being disregarded or dismissed for their opinions on wrestling. That's the actual subject at hand.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 24, 2022

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think we absolutely should start comparing people who are rude about pro wrestling to racists and chase them out of the forum with torches and pitchforks, personally.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

NienNunb posted:

I think we absolutely should start comparing people who are rude about pro wrestling to racists and chase them out of the forum with torches and pitchforks, personally.

Forums Frankenstein Scenario

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

"Everybody who doesn't like what's becoming of the forum should leave it" is not a good take.

Frankly, I'm tired of leaving spaces because saying bigotry and misogyny are bad is seen as causing trouble.

I've been running karaoke shows for twenty years, and no matter what one does, somebody's gonna' leave angry. So you make sure it's the right people. The people who get mad that they can't say the N word on stage, people who want to bribe their way to the top of the rotation and flip out when you tell them no, people who treat the staff well, but the other customers like poo poo, people who creep on women...

Right now, this forum has decided to make newcomers and old-timers alike uncomfortable and unwelcome by prioritizing the shittiest people's good time over everybody else's. And if no matter what you do, it's going to anger somebody, you might as well do the things that anger the people who are ruining everybody else's good time instead of prioritizing them because they're the most loyal regulars who are there every week because when you do that, wouldn't you know, you eventually wind up with more regulars; not less.

Every time I become convinced I'm the problem here, I leave, only to pop my head back in months or years later to find that nothing has changed and I wasn't the problem at all. The forum needs a puppy to kick and if it doesn't have one, it'll manufacture one, because some people can't have a good time unless they see somebody else when they look down, and since they know they're poo poo, they'll push people down and point and laugh at the clumsy dipshit who tripped.

Hey, 100% honest, I think you have good intentions but I became tired of this stuff when you regularly ignored other marginalized poster who told you they agree with you but post here for it to a refuge from that poo poo that they deal with every day. You rarely actually call stuff up and instead bring up grievances in the world and how something you just saw in wrestling reminds you of that and there's a lot of other posters who go to wrestling to exactly be reminded of that.

If you really want to call out bigotry and racism report the post and post here if no one does anything. If you do want to post about relating wrestling to the larger bigotry and racism in the world in a casual way I think you totally can but you need to be careful. Obviously sometimes people read "xyz reminds me of racism" as "fans of xyz love racism" and that gets them hot. And if you want to dig into these things in depth make a new thread about it and people who don't want to read that poo poo at least have the opportunity to not read it.

You can do all the things you want to do here but you need the tact to recognize that yes we should be intolerant of intolerance to have a tolerant space, this is still a public space and there will be disagreements and people trying to use that public space for different things that can potentially clash.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cavauro posted:

No, it's actually time to stop pretending there are "the lovely people" on here and they deserve to be treated like dogshit racists, sexists, or whatever else whenever you are mad. Everyone who posts here regularly is a regular person and the occasional lovely rear end in a top hat gets a long probe or ban. The reason people keep getting run off when they come here and try to really harm people by calling them the worst possible things in the world is because of that alone. Whether you mean to or not you are directly comparing " The people who get mad that they can't say the N word on stage" to people on here, and it doesn't track at all.

Somebody just got done trying to get me and at least 1 other person thrown out of here for being a racist and they couldn't even say what I said to justify their behavior. They were being criticized by other people and attacked me nonsensically to change the subject when I was not even involved in the conversation at all. I still don't know what I said, and I know I didn't say anything racist. A person trying to use marginalization and mistreatment of people in the world as a weapon against whoever they want, is evil and hosed up, and doesn't belong on here as a trump card to be used when somebody is getting critiqued for saying something stupid.

That type of stuff is not relevant to the conversation of people being disregarded or dismissed for their opinions on wrestling. That's the actual subject at hand.

Posting in such a way that you get cav to stop gimmick posting is a hell of a thing.

Anyway I agree with this post. Being a lovely racist rear end in a top hat is not acceptable. I don’t think that’s what people in the AEW thread or the broader sub forum have done, and I don’t think that comparison is in any way fair.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

NienNunb posted:

You're wrong if you feel that way. Full-stop. I can't take seeing that stuff as basic arguments anymore, ironically as though the words don't mean anything. The implication that bigots are treated equally or even better on here for what they say, and that every person is implicit in that, is becoming more and more normalized the more often it gets said without leading back to a sensible and evident reason for saying it. So if you're serious, change your mind or change your drat hangout, NineNunb.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Some people here are certainly dismissive about these topics, but it's important to acknowledge that people had a much bigger problem with the extreme comparisons you made (both then and now).

Please continue to call out bigotry and misogyny when it happens. There's no need to invent more of it beyond that.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

would like to point out that this forum has defended you, specifically, from lovely behavior multiple times. it happened literally days ago. gently caress off with this hive of scum and villainy nonsense

can people be catty? yes. can people sometimes push the line with "humor"? also yes. none of that equates to racists and creeps. and if you didn't mean to equate the two you need to take a hard look at how you communicate

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
from earlier posts i think at least a small part of it is that lividliquid thinks that the max caster trump dunk continuing to be in the aew thread ops is a dunk on them specifically and not just a thing that made people laugh once in a sea of things that were also funny once. getting that av bought for them was a lovely move and something they took real personally + seeing a reminder of that i can empathize about it continuing to feel fresh

idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
When I got probed for getting too aggro about people downplaying Max Caster's rape rap, I'll tell you something, by and large it was not posters on THE LIST who were doing the downplaying