Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I hate this bullshit so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Is there a reason they picked this particular jpeg of a chimp and decided to Malibu Stacy it, and assign different values based on whatever fun hat it’s wearing? I understand it’s a scam or whatever, I just don’t know why they picked that specific drawing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

How many wallet stealer QR codes do you think are on this sign?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What the gently caress is a "story-based" NFT

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What the gently caress is a "story-based" NFT

Story based scams

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
your image of an ape created by randomly combining different hats and mouths is now also associated with an OpenAI-generated paragraph of text based on keywords associated with the various graphical elements

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Blotto_Otter posted:

(also, somehow this crypto exchange-slash-investment bank has not turned a profit for at least the last four years? the hell have you guys been doing that your combined exchange/cryptobank couldn't skim a profit during that insane crypto bull market???)

The entity hasn't returned a profit to retail investors, no. I'd bet that most of the $16m in "other liabilities" is basically the founders paying themselves back for their initial investments. I'd also bet that most of their operating cash has been used to buy the founders' crypto holdings.

The cool thing is that when this goes down, all the looting means there's no profit left to distribute to the investors! Operating at a net loss is fantastic for their purposes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Run around screaming "SOMEONE STOLE MY APES! SOMEONE STOLE MY APES!"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LifeSunDeath posted:

Run around screaming "SOMEONE STOLE MY APES! SOMEONE STOLE MY APES!"

10 guys show up and ask you to fill out a google forms thing on their phone so they can help you get them back.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ape fest more like.. fat pees.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Got em

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

the saddest apefest got held right after a major crypto crash, it will be followed by the next saddest ape fest next year after another major crypto crash.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
Saw this a few nights before apefest. i hope they got licenses for all these!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

aeiou posted:

god loving drat, this poo poo is so ugly.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
gotta pay for my desserts in fiat smdh

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

aeiou posted:

Guaranteed there was at least one zoomer at ape fest that had a sleeve of tattoos just like this.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

aeiou posted:

100% they just want to show off their own dumbass NFTs because cryptobro peacocking or something I guess.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Tricky Ed posted:

The entity hasn't returned a profit to retail investors, no. I'd bet that most of the $16m in "other liabilities" is basically the founders paying themselves back for their initial investments. I'd also bet that most of their operating cash has been used to buy the founders' crypto holdings.

The cool thing is that when this goes down, all the looting means there's no profit left to distribute to the investors! Operating at a net loss is fantastic for their purposes.

you're probably right about the founders looting it, I'm just amazed at the retail rubes who gave this company a valuation of $3 billion at one point. (They seem to have caught on to the scam now, as its market cap is now down below $150 million, which is a hundred mil lower than the company's 3/31/22 net book value, lol.)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aeiou posted:

wow that truck must be worth millions!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Klyith posted:

anus was saying it was gonna go back up right before it dropped from 21 to 18. so if he's saying it's gonna slide to 14 that probably means were in for a manipulation rally.

in the absence of ghostitty, the universe selects the crypto thread's next most prominent butt-toucher to becomes the new reverse-prophet, with the magic power to always be wrong

oh right I almost forgot about this:

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yeah. You could put it in as USD and get APY (4%/yr) as well on nexo, it's not like it had to be tether. Only problem is a lack of FDIC insurance. But it would have solved their financial poo poo pretty quickly without a lot of risk. They came into a lot of money and wanted to dump it into a house, which would have created more bills. If I had $1m sitting around I would park it into nexo's USD and try to never have to touch the principle or something. Which, by the way, if you look at the entire market hellscape (not just crypto), would have worked out just fine. I mean what is the alternative given a market waiting for a recession, invest away? I mean hell, Anchor is one thing that was lovely and a straight ponzi. Nexo is at least a little better on that one.

you told someone to put 80% of their net worth (something like 700k or more iirc) into a lovely Celsius-like exchange. Just because you put it in as USD doesn't mean it's more safe than whatever else nexo is doing to prop up their returns.

also nexo might be in trouble just like BlockFi as the others

https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1539681956455120898

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

aeiou posted:

Wow, they funged that token.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

God drat it I’m sick of farting around 20k, I want blood

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

God drat it I’m sick of farting around 20k, I want blood

It's crazy to me that the price is maintained despite exchanges all over the place completely halting withdrawals, but maybe that's the reason the price isn't dropping, nobody is allowed to sell right now.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

I looked into getting a custom inflatable like this made for an old job and it was like tens of thousands of dollars, what an absolute waste.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

A talking coyote posted:

Is there a reason they picked this particular jpeg of a chimp and decided to Malibu Stacy it, and assign different values based on whatever fun hat it’s wearing? I understand it’s a scam or whatever, I just don’t know why they picked that specific drawing.

they're created by racist neo-nazis who got filthy rich by being lucky and early in bitcoin, and they think its funny

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's crazy to me that the price is maintained despite exchanges all over the place completely halting withdrawals, but maybe that's the reason the price isn't dropping, nobody is allowed to sell right now.

"Selling" a bitcoin on an exchange literally does nothing as those transactions don't interact with the blockchain. It's just funny numbers in an app. As long as the money does not get pulled out back into people's bank accounts, exchanges can make the number be whatever they want (slightly limited by needing to either agree on price-fixing or correlating with actual on-chain whale transactions).

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 23, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rad Russian posted:

"Selling" a bitcoin on an exchange literally does nothing as those transactions don't interact with the blockchain. As long as the money does not get pulled out back into people's bank accounts, they can make the number be whatever they want.

So when these "stablecoins" print infinite money (which is totally, we promise, backed by actual dollars), is it directly being used to buy more Bitcoins or Etherium or DrunkMarmosetCoins or whatever? Is that how this part of the grift works, using infinite fake money to prop up the other fake money?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

WhiteHowler posted:

So when these "stablecoins" print infinite money (which is totally, we promise, backed by actual dollars), is it directly being used to buy more Bitcoins or Etherium or DrunkMarmosetCoins or whatever? Is that how this part of the grift works, using infinite fake money to prop up the other fake money?

I'm quite sure exchanges are illegally using people's USD balances to convert those into stable coins behind the scenes to prop up things like BTC.

The entities stopping withdrawals right now are the various pyramid schemes (like Luna and now Celcius). Not the exchanges themselves.

You can withdraw your money from an exchange just fine, they're relying on everyone NOT trying to withdraw at once. I think even if 50% of crypto investors came to their senses and withdrew their balances back into banks, the exchanges and Tether will collapse. Maybe even like 30% of investors. All the shady exchanges actually having 50% of the assets that people already gave them is a generous assumption. Who knows how they were gambling with everything behind the scenes to make more money. We already saw lots of evidence of these morons like 3AC investing their customer's money into various other pyramid schemes.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 23, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Serious_Cyclone posted:

All of the major exchanges are currently allowing withdrawals.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1540055110495211522

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1540058386405986305

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Please, everyone calm down. We will let you make a run on our bank after the founders have taken out whatever we can.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

All of the major exchanges are currently allowing withdrawals.

:discourse:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

well he didn't say they'd be allowing withdrawals all afternoon, jeez

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poorly aged things. That was a fairly big one according to CoinMarketCap

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/kiikazuu/status/1539854636076630017?s=20&t=eN_DnSGCoDqJ6BaqtnSoLA

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ape shall not diss ape!

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Blotto_Otter posted:

So I got curious and looked up Voyager's 3/31/22 interim financials (available here, on the Canadian equivalent to EDGAR), and at that time, they had about $5.5 billion in "crypto and fiat" liabilities for funds/assets deposited by customers. They had only $99 million in unrestricted cash and equivalents on hand (plus another $110m or so in cash on customer deposits). Of the $5.4 billion worth of cryptos they had, they had loaned out $2 billion, a full third of which we now know went to 3AC.

The BankMan's loans to Voyager are nominally worth about $500 mil today, so that plus their cash on hand does not even cover the potential hole left by their $655 mil loan to 3AC. So even with the Bankman's emergency loans, seems to me like they've got two problems now:

1) if their customers start pulling out USDC or bitcoins and they use the bankman's loans to cover those withdrawals, they're still left with a huge loan to the bankman and no way to repay it. this is not a bailout, this is just stalling for time before Voyager decides which one of its creditors (which include their customers) to stiff.

2) if their customers start selling for cash within the Voyager exchange, there is not much cash left before they'd crash the prices within the exchange (unless Voyager gets a cash infusion from somewhere else), assuming Voyager is actually segregating between real cash and USDC on its customer-facing trading platform. If, say, Voyager is hypothetically doing something very silly and not accurately discriminating between real cash trades and USDC trades on its customer-facing platform - in order to make it look like there's more liquidity available for trading than there actually is - then there's not much real cash to cover a potential bank run if customers start pulling out real cash.

(also, somehow this crypto exchange-slash-investment bank has not turned a profit for at least the last four years? the hell have you guys been doing that your combined exchange/cryptobank couldn't skim a profit during that insane crypto bull market???)

As of the end of today, investors have valued the company at $111.94M ($0.56/share x 196,003,647 shares). Based on the above post, that's essentially just a little bit more than the cash on hand. Effectively, the market has decided the company is essentially worthless.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"We're looked up to"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_Griffith

quote:

On November 28, 2019, Griffith was arrested by the Federal Bureau of Investigation for providing "highly technical information” to North Korea, knowing that this information could be used to help North Korea launder money and evade sanctions."[29] The charges stem from his unsanctioned participation in an April 2019 blockchain and cryptocurrency conference held in Pyongyang, North Korea. During and after the conference, Griffith was alleged to have discussed means through which North Korea could use cryptocurrency to evade economic sanctions and being the peace connector between North and South Korea.[30][31] Upon Griffith's arrest, Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin initiated an online campaign for his release which, according to one source, could not garner many supporters.[32]

On September 28, 2021, Griffith pleaded guilty at a hearing in which he expressed remorse. He was sentenced on April 12, 2022, to 63 months in prison, with 10 months already considered time served from his pre-trial detention.[6][33]

He helped North Korea figure out how to use crypto to fund their nuclear program, AKA "peace connector." It's a farce that this dipshit only got five years in jail for this.

The comment section on the OP is hilarious. First the guy in the image "bumped" somebody??? And then the OP changed their story to "he shoved a girl, this is abuse on women," and then got sour over the comments roasting everything about the story and the post. No one is really sure what this idiot is trying to say, and I think the yellow sweatshirt guy in the image is actually the OP, which makes this even more ridiculous.

I clicked the link in his profile because he says he is a "contemporary artist" who paints crypto, and it's literally bad photoshops of monkeys in other people's work or stock photos.

https://opensea.io/collection/cryptopainter

Big OG energy right here.