Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My coworker says the 512 edition is probably like January because they're only like an hour into the line of preorders vs 6+ hours into the line for the 64gb version

Sounds like hogwash reddit math, any truth to it?

The google spreadsheet the subreddit keeps and use for the calculator probably does show it. I do recall reading the 512 has been going slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No idea but I wouldn’t be surprised if demand for the 64 spiked and dropped for the 512 once news came out that load time differences were fairly insignificant.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

One day of orders in 3 days of real time

Lol

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Just got my deck email. I didn't see any shipping options at all. Is that right? I'd like faster shipping if it's an option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Just got my deck email. I didn't see any shipping options at all. Is that right? I'd like faster shipping if it's an option.

No other options.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It's shipped FedEx Ground in NA and GLS in Europe. Even if you pay today, it won't get processed until next Monday and actually picked up by the shipping carrier until Tuesday. In NA, they ship from just outside Chicago, so 1-2 days if you're in a nearby state and add a day for every couple of states in between.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 23, 2022

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
No choice there, GLS is a terrible carrier in my area. Just have to deal with it.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK2MjhWkpAM

If you ever need to replace your thumbsticks, you can get hall-effect replacements that should theoretically never drift because they use magnets to sense the position of the sticks instead of moving parts.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does everyone else's fans kick into overdrive when downloading games?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Does everyone else's fans kick into overdrive when downloading games?

Yeah sometimes.

It’s not a deck specific problem fwiw my other handhelds do it as well. The Win max was the worst for it as it had fans that are loud AF.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If you look at your PC's CPU usage and temps when downloading a game you'll notice they go up as well. Decompressing the downloaded data is a CPU-intensive process so having the fans spin up is to be expected.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dramicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK2MjhWkpAM

If you ever need to replace your thumbsticks, you can get hall-effect replacements that should theoretically never drift because they use magnets to sense the position of the sticks instead of moving parts.

This is cool as hell, might end up doing this down the line.

Does anyone's SteamOS UI just straight up not recognize any of the controller inputs sometimes? I feel like this happens once every couple times I bring up the UI in any fashion and I have to go back to the game and open the UI again. It's really god drat annoying.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The steam sale just started.

Time to buy even more games for my deck that I probably won’t play.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

SSD and microSD cards generate a good bit of heat when they're reading and writing a lot at high speeds, which is why cheap ones can thermal throttle and be slow and heat sinks are required for faster SSDs. 5G antennas can do the same.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

MarcusSA posted:

:hmmyes:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone spots any particularly good deck-related deals, :justpost:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yes-please to the good-for-Dreck sale posts. Valve did their job and finally coaxed me into their ecosystem but I've no idea what's good (except Crystal Project. Which is good).

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My coworker says the 512 edition is probably like January because they're only like an hour into the line of preorders vs 6+ hours into the line for the 64gb version

Sounds like hogwash reddit math, any truth to it?

I was a few hours late to preorder the 64GB version, I wanna say like 4, and I just got mine two weeks ago.

Lines up with my armchair observances.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it'd be hard for me to just whip up a list of games i've already beaten to check individually if they're on sale, so here's stuff from my wishlist that's playable/verified on Deck that is on sale:

Grapple Dog, Powerslave Exhumed, Dysmantle, Gunfire Reborn, Eastward, Webbed, FIST, Hoa, Labyrinth of Touhou 2, Toodee & Topdee, Black Skylands, Boomerang X, Ender Lilies, Astalon: Tears of the Earth, Strangeland, Ultrakill, Gujian 3, World of Final Fantasy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Monster Hunter Rise is GOTY and the Expansion comes out next week. Base game is $30 and runs flawlessly on the Deck.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Quixzlizx posted:

Nothing is stopping Microsoft from releasing a native Linux Gamepass client if they really wanted to.

I mean, beyond trying to keep people on Windows 10/11 while Valve is trying to get people on *NIX: Sure.

Granted, MS under Satya has been pretty open toward Open-Sores software and *NIX. So who knows, maybe UWP dies out and Gamepass gets binaries like normal?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

I mean, beyond trying to keep people on Windows 10/11 while Valve is trying to get people on *NIX: Sure.

Granted, MS under Satya has been pretty open toward Open-Sores software and *NIX. So who knows, maybe UWP dies out and Gamepass gets binaries like normal?

Their main focus is getting more / keeping game pass subscriptions. if they determine a native app for the Deck is it, they’ll do it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yes-please to the good-for-Dreck sale posts. Valve did their job and finally coaxed me into their ecosystem but I've no idea what's good (except Crystal Project. Which is good).

I was a few hours late to preorder the 64GB version, I wanna say like 4, and I just got mine two weeks ago.

Lines up with my armchair observances.

I'll get my steam deck when they do a hardware refresh then 😔

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Random stuff I played on Deck recently and is on sale:
- The Darkside Detective : a minimalist pixel-art point and click game, consisting of 9 individual cases that you investigate as the paranormal cop at the local station. It's super minimalist as in a few animations here and there but for example characters don't move on the screen. And the items/use are relatively straightforward, I haven't really hit any moon logic. Each case is ~30 minutes, and the writing is actually pretty funny. I have no idea when I got this game originally (likely in an old bundle) but I played it on the deck since it showed up as certified from my library, and it was a blast. I'll pick up the sequel in the sale.
- Thronebreaker - The Witcher Tales: the CDPR standalone solo Gwent game. It's an adventure with your character moving on the map and sorting out her kingdom issues during the Nilfgaard invasion, except everything as in battles/ambushes is settled in the form of a game of Gwent, some of them straightforward with your customised deck, and many of them in the form of puzzle with a set deck and/or alternative rules/conditions. It's entertaining, and works perfectly on the handheld.
- Redout: my big favourite in the F-Zero/Wipeout antigrav racing genre. Certified on deck, allegedly, but they completely broke the game a month ago in an effort to add EGS crossplay (to a game with a completely dead multiplayer scene) in order to give the game for free and convince people to buy the sequel. That patch killed the game on deck (as in it won't even launch), ruined the performance on pc, and removed VR support. Absolute clusterfuck. Avoid at all cost for the time being.
- Gladius - Relics of War: a 4X game in the Warhammer 40k world, with no diplomacy, just basic city building, research, unit production, and extermination. It works very well with the default controls: trackpad as mouse and left stick scrolling the map.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 23, 2022

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Why play Redout when BallisticNG is right there and enables modding/workshop?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I don't have a deck yet but I've heard Vampire Survivors works really well on it. It's $3 (not on sale) and a ton of fun. There's a whole thread on it and it's been generally well received. It's Verified so it should work just fine. Well worth the $3, I've put in over 50 hours in this game and it's perfect for when you need to kill about 45 minutes or so. Each round has a 30 minute timer (or 15 on Hurry mode) but with treasure chests and level ups it adds roughly 15 minutes onto the overall playtime. Tons to unlock and an absolute blast to play. The thread on it is extremely helpful, though I think the OP is out of date.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Why play Redout when BallisticNG is right there and enables modding/workshop?

Because it's a clone of Wipeout, down to the poo poo boring handling and stupid weapons ruining the actual racing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowman posted:

I don't have a deck yet but I've heard Vampire Survivors works really well on it. It's $3 (not on sale) and a ton of fun. There's a whole thread on it and it's been generally well received. It's Verified so it should work just fine. Well worth the $3, I've put in over 50 hours in this game and it's perfect for when you need to kill about 45 minutes or so. Each round has a 30 minute timer (or 15 on Hurry mode) but with treasure chests and level ups it adds roughly 15 minutes onto the overall playtime. Tons to unlock and an absolute blast to play. The thread on it is extremely helpful, though I think the OP is out of date.

It does indeed play splendidly on the deck and it's just a lovely little game in general.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

FishMcCool posted:

- Redout: my big favourite in the F-Zero/Wipeout antigrav racing genre. Certified on deck, allegedly, but they completely broke the game a month ago in an effort to add EGS crossplay (to a game with a completely dead multiplayer scene) in order to give the game for free and convince people to buy the sequel. That patch killed the game on deck (as in it won't even launch), ruined the performance on pc, and removed VR support. Absolute clusterfuck. Avoid at all cost for the time being.
I’m not huge into Redout, but it works if you pick a different Proton version. I think experimental.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I have to say, for all that I like the deck itself, the steam store integration is rear end UX-wise. I don't think I've managed to hit the store for any period of time without hitting issues with being logged into the deck but logged out of the store, or the item selected loses focus and scrolling makes the page start jumping around, or things start inexplicably scrolling backwards, or other weird "did anyone look at this at any point" issues

I guess I should be glad their focus is on stuff that isn't just storefront-based, but the frequency of "oh gently caress this I'll just pull up steam on the desktop and check my wishlist on-sales properly" is starting to get irritating

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Here's a list of some of the unverified (but fully-functional) games that I've been enjoying on the deck.

Descenders: Great for pick-up & play. It's a procedurally-generated downhill BMX game that encourages you to take risks by doing stunts which earn you points that let you unlock perks. You have a limited amount of lives with which to make it to the end. It's lots of fun to play for 10 minutes. You unlock clothing every run and can customize your look. Runs at 60fps with max settings, but I play with everything on low except anti-aliasing to preserve battery.

Sky Rogue: Another game that is great for short play sessions. It's sort of a roguelike version of Ace Combat where you fight through procedurally-generated missions until you get shot down, and then you unlock more technology at the end of each run like better missiles, or aircraft. Works very well on the deck and uses very little power, just remember to set Vsync on in the in-game settings as otherwise it might ignore the system-fps limit and run at 500 fps.

Immortal Redneck: Roguelike mix between Serious Sam and Quake. Run through a pyramid, shoot things and earn coins to unlock better stats after you die. Simple and fun, runs well.

Quake: You should know what it is. It works perfectly fine despite being unverified. It has been recently updated with new content and graphics options. Runs way better than the Switch port.

Turok 1 & 2: Both work fine on the deck and are fun.

Jupiter Hell: sort of a remake of DoomRL. It's a turn-based roguelike with a focus on firearms. Pick a class, run through a space station full of demons, take as many of them with you before you die. Works fine with the deck's controls.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Seconding Jupiter Hell. A turn based shooter sounded kind of dumb at first but once you get rolling it's pretty engaging, and has all the usual roguelike replayability gameplay features. It also doesn't take itself too seriously. But you can dial down how ridiculous your character's commentary is and other things. Definitely worth it on sale discount.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Seconding Jupiter Hell. A turn based shooter sounded kind of dumb at first but once you get rolling it's pretty engaging, and has all the usual roguelike replayability gameplay features. It also doesn't take itself too seriously. But you can dial down how ridiculous your character's commentary is and other things. Definitely worth it on sale discount.

I’ll third this.

Definitely worth a look and I enjoyed my time with the game.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Cowman posted:

I couldn't get into Vampire Survivors but 20 Minutes Till Dawn instant hooked me. I think I just enjoy being able to aim and shoot as well and not just walk around auto shooting.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

sigher posted:

This is cool as hell, might end up doing this down the line.

Does anyone's SteamOS UI just straight up not recognize any of the controller inputs sometimes? I feel like this happens once every couple times I bring up the UI in any fashion and I have to go back to the game and open the UI again. It's really god drat annoying.

This happened to me last night for the first time I recall (leaving Vampire Survivors I believe). Nothing was responding --> turned the Deck to sleep and back on, still nothing --> walked away for a few minutes, and everything was working by the time I got back. I was planning on doing a restart, but the fact that inputs eventually started responding made me think it may have been some extended game shutdown or similar.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Dramicus posted:

If anyone spots any particularly good deck-related deals, :justpost:
Ender Lilies has rarely ever gone on sale (and is now), and just finally got Deck Verified a few weeks ago, it's a good game and a good deal.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Their main focus is getting more / keeping game pass subscriptions. if they determine a native app for the Deck is it, they’ll do it.

I’m pretty sure both Spencer and Newell have said they’d like to see Game Pass implemented into Steam so now my question is just what the holdup actually is behind the scenes.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Pirate Jet posted:

I’m pretty sure both Spencer and Newell have said they’d like to see Game Pass implemented into Steam so now my question is just what the holdup actually is behind the scenes.

Gamepass is baked heavily into Windows via how updates, DRM and other things are done. Doing a lift and shift into Linux is not trivial, especially as they really, really don't want it to get cracked. MS released step by step instructions including Linux commands to get gamepass streaming working on the Deck, so I don't think they care much about what OS you're on. Also the Steam Deck is like 4 months old so

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loving love posting on this thing. Edge runs beautifully!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

hopefully companies like Aya and GPD take a cue from the Deck design-wise for their portables

i'd like a deck clone with an OLED screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lockback posted:

Gamepass is baked heavily into Windows via how updates, DRM and other things are done. Doing a lift and shift into Linux is not trivial, especially as they really, really don't want it to get cracked. MS released step by step instructions including Linux commands to get gamepass streaming working on the Deck, so I don't think they care much about what OS you're on. Also the Steam Deck is like 4 months old so

I’m referring to Steam in general, not just the Deck. Given that EA Play already has Steam implementation it certainly has to be possible, especially if both companies are saying they’d like to see it happen, at this point I can only assume it’s some kind of legal issue.

Actually, has anyone who’s subscribed to EA Play through Steam tried to download its free games on the Deck?