Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kwyndig posted:

You're drat right it is, both characters have to go through all the same content EXCEPT for whatever 8-man Savage is currently out. That's basically double the work with no payoff.

One reason I can think of is because lalafels also don't really have a place in a lot of nightclub venues. So some people who play lalas, have their catgirl/lizard/bun alt for clubbing.

If you go into any nightclub, 70% of the players will be female buns/lizards/cats. 25% will be male characters, and the last 5% will be female hyur/elezen/roe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Mordiceius posted:

One reason I can think of is because lalafels also don't really have a place in a lot of nightclub venues. So some people who play lalas, have their catgirl/lizard/bun alt for clubbing.

If you go into any nightclub, 70% of the players will be female buns/lizards/cats. 25% will be male characters, and the last 5% will be female hyur/elezen/roe.

yes but

https://mobile.twitter.com/skexchs/status/1270444987990360067

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The clubs I've been too there has always been a good amount of Lalas there, and usually they come as a big group. I went to one recently where the club was like space themed and they did something with the building inside so that they could build the club outside the boundaries of the inside (you have to take an "elevator" to get up there) and so it made it look like the club was in a big black space void. It was extremely cool. But anyway it was max capacity so you had to wait in line for others to leave. In line with us were a group of like 8 Lalafells in their clubbing outfits. And there were like 5 at first and then a few showed up and it was like seeing some friends meet up at a bar downtown. It was great. And then they were dancing as a group inside the club. Or there was a Lala in one that was in an all gold outfit and they were dancing with a crowd in a circle around them cheering him on.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hyper Inferno posted:

Yeah, there's something special about the period of time when people are hitting a game blind and don't have years of documentation spelling everything out. Not necessarily from a mechanical optimization perspective, but more from a "hey, what's going on over there?" perspective. It's not just hitting a game blind since you can always do that by simply not looking up stuff for a single player game, it's the group experience of everyone playing the game also experiencing the game new.

You get the same experience every expansion though? New zones with who knows what hiding in them, and new boss fights where no one knows the mechanics yet. What's the difference?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Also, holy poo poo I am loving how customizable the HUD is. I've never played a game that let you get this granular.

Sure, I want my chat prompt to be larger than the chat box text. Why not??

One of the best things this game does is let you make your own metaphorical piano to play.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Warmachine posted:

I don't, but I've also heavily tempered my nostalgia for when things like WoW, SWTOR, and Guild Wars 2 were the new hotness by also remembering things like Warhammer Online, Wildstar, and Firefall. I'd much rather spend my time in something established that I can reasonably expect to still be here a year from now.

Also when I was ground-flooring MMOs I was in the 16-to-24 age demographic and in high school (WoW, Warhammer)/college (SWTOR, GW2, WS and Firefall) with plenty of disposable time. I could put up with the jank and the possibility that in 6 months the game would be getting a closure notice because the supposed WoW-killer wasn't.

I get my "the shine wears off quickly and I can see all the warts" rush from mobile games these days. They have so many ways to occupy your time that the feeling when I delete one after getting into it is intoxicating. Seriously, I've played some thinking "I can't wait to quit this, it's gonna be great." If I were at all inclined to spend anything other than time on those I'd consider it a serious problem.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Control Volume posted:

One of the best things this game does is let you make your own metaphorical piano to play.

And then a literal one you can bust out anywhere if you’re a bard.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I expect the game to nosedive once YoshiP leaves the project--a day I hope is far off.

Part of what makes him such a good producer is that he's crazy good at developing talent and ensuring there's always someone in line for a position who is at least as good as the person they're replacing. I have no doubt he can do that for his own position as well. So, left to their own devices, I think it would take a few years of turnover within the team before you see a quality decline solely due to Yoshi P leaving.

On the other hand, the loss of a rockstar producer who is also on the squeenix board of directors opens the door for the kind of executive meddling that ruins basically every squeenix product that isn't XIV, so it might not matter how good the remaining team is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inzombiac posted:

So, aside from fashion, is there any reason to have more than one character?
Assuming you only play on one server.

Also, holy poo poo I am loving how customizable the HUD is. I've never played a game that let you get this granular.

Sure, I want my chat prompt to be larger than the chat box text. Why not??

This game has a massive number of options and customizable things. The downside is that they're spread across something like three or four different places and don't always have intuitive names so even peopole who have played since 2.0 will get blindsided when others say they turned off ally spell effects or something. Every time I want to turn something on or off I have to google it. Is it in the Character Options menu? Account Options menu? Which tab on there? Did I need to use a console command to change it instead?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Clarste posted:

You get the same experience every expansion though? New zones with who knows what hiding in them, and new boss fights where no one knows the mechanics yet. What's the difference?

yeah this is the secret for FFXIV. every expansion is like being on the ground floor of a new MMO, because there is almost no datamining or developers spoiling what's going to happen in the story. you turn off your chat box, avoid threads/discord/twitter and just loving play that poo poo for like 4 days straight and experience it. it's the loving best.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The sublime experience of going through a new leveling dungeon the first time in stone-cold silence until the last boss, where it wipes the party in the first mechanic and everyone goes "wtf was that lmfao"

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the absolute best communal activity you can participate in playing this game is logging on at the exact moment an odd patch goes up and ramming into the new alliance raid with 23 other headless chickens

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kerrzhe posted:

yeah this is the secret for FFXIV. every expansion is like being on the ground floor of a new MMO, because there is almost no datamining or developers spoiling what's going to happen in the story. you turn off your chat box, avoid threads/discord/twitter and just loving play that poo poo for like 4 days straight and experience it. it's the loving best.

Em, I've seen a lot of datamining whenever a new patch/expansion comes out. People are just like, kind enough to spoiler that stuff/only talk about it in specific places at least.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

There is no greater joy in this MMO than enjoying day 0 patch content with everyone else. Party chat at the end of the duty is just variations of "That ruled".

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kerrzhe posted:

Oh totally. Ground floor MMOs are just that to a greater extent. There's a level of unknowing with FFXIV expansions, but there still is a level of known quantity to it. We're already familiar with the classes. We know each expansion will be 6 zones, with a dungeon every two levels, probably three trials during. There is a formula, even if the moment to moment isn't known.

The pleasure of getting in on a new MMO launch is just not knowing what to expect at any point. And getting to poke around and discover. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

SettingSun posted:

There is no greater joy in this MMO than enjoying day 0 patch content with everyone else. Party chat at the end of the duty is just variations of "That ruled".

I had an absolute blast seeing half the raid wipe (myself very much included) in the newest alliance raid. It was especially cool when the lyrics kicked in on final boss.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Vitamean posted:

the absolute best communal activity you can participate in playing this game is logging on at the exact moment an odd patch goes up and ramming into the new alliance raid with 23 other headless chickens
I like waiting a few hours before going into new alliance or normal raids, outside of MSQ blocking the unlock as it did in 6.1. Going ASAP means getting in with other nerds that are probably very good at the game but if you wait a little bit then more casual people are going to be in the group. That's when you get more chaos with people not picking up mechanics as quickly so massive death totals are more likely happen.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone having issues? I get this on login and now got a technical error trying to log a support ticket

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

hazardousmouse posted:

if you don't play the lotto you have 0 chance of getting one. if you win, you can always transfer plots later if you like a location

True, but relocations still go through the lottery now. So you'd effectively have to win two plots.

Housing is fun. I wasn't crazy about my spot in the Goblet, but it's grown on me and now I don't think I'd move even with a guaranteed plot.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Walrus posted:

anyone having issues? I get this on login and now got a technical error trying to log a support ticket

Do you have the Steam version? I've got the same error, and I was thinking it had to do with the launch of the Steam Summer Sale slamming their servers.

I could be wrong, though, if you're also having a problem submitting a ticket.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

If you're on steam, yeah, this is getting reported elsewhere. Something to do with messing with their setup as of the just-starting sale.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Em, I've seen a lot of datamining whenever a new patch/expansion comes out. People are just like, kind enough to spoiler that stuff/only talk about it in specific places at least.

yeah, there USED to be almost no datamining, but it's getting more prevalent now especially with the game only gaining popularity. but there's no public test server, and the devs (and community for the most part!) go out of their way to hide spoilers. it's very easy to go into an expansion completely blind, and it's wonderful.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

SettingSun posted:

My favorite moment of all time is doing e5n day 1 and the entire group wiping to the very first mechanic and everyone just busting out laughing.

Day 1 content rules.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kerrzhe posted:

yeah, there USED to be almost no datamining, but it's getting more prevalent now especially with the game only gaining popularity. but there's no public test server, and the devs (and community for the most part!) go out of their way to hide spoilers. it's very easy to go into an expansion completely blind, and it's wonderful.

Oh yeah, those aspects are 100% true.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Datamining is done mere hours before the content goes live, when it's being pushed to the client. Doesn't leave a lot of time for that info to get disseminated to many except those in the know.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I used to always scrape the music from patches but I stopped after running headfirst into the ruby weapon second phase theme

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Theris posted:

On the other hand, the loss of a rockstar producer who is also on the squeenix board of directors opens the door for the kind of executive meddling that ruins basically every squeenix product that isn't XIV, so it might not matter how good the remaining team is.

I think this is the bigger factor for exactly the reason you state. Yoshida is, at this point, a living legend. If they try and mess with his work, they're only punching themselves in the balls. Though I don't think things would be an immediate downhill spiral out of malice/greed. The whole "living" part of that would probably make Square shy away from doing anything that might spark vocal opposition from a retired YoshiP, since that would be just as terrible as having him inside the organization and opposed to you, with the added bad optics of "wow the dude retired and you immediately pissed on his legacy."

I think slow decay via incompetence 5-10 years after he leaves is the more likely scenario for how FFXIV dies.

Consummate Professional posted:

I had an absolute blast seeing half the raid wipe (myself very much included) in the newest alliance raid. It was especially cool when the lyrics kicked in on final boss.

I lost my drat mind and it instantly became my favorite song in the game. Yes, better than your favorite and whatever the community canonized as the best. It's perfect in every way.

edit: Actually, is there a way to toggle instance cutscenes on and off via text command? I'm 100% read to make a macro to turn cutscenes back on after Azemya just so that the music synchs properly with the boss intro because yeah, worth.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 23, 2022

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I just want to say the The Sorrow of Werlyt was some of my favorite patch content, I love giant robots and giant robot drama and the return of ARR Badass Gaius and the unlocks for extreme mode tickled my fancy quite a bit even if I haven't actually done the Extreme fights yet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

I just want to say the The Sorrow of Werlyt was some of my favorite patch content, I love giant robots and giant robot drama and the return of ARR Badass Gaius and the unlocks for extreme mode tickled my fancy quite a bit even if I haven't actually done the Extreme fights yet.

I want more Gundams, yes. This too.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

sorrow of werlyt was so good

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

that's just respecting the lalafell lore

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Truga posted:

that's just respecting the lalafell lore

Most of the Lalafell you meet are horny, yes.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Is yoshida not already taking a step back from ff14? I thought he was producing 16 as well, and I have to imagine that has taken away at least some of the time he’d normally dedicate

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Erg posted:

Is yoshida not already taking a step back from ff14? I thought he was producing 16 as well, and I have to imagine that has taken away at least some of the time he’d normally dedicate

It's not like he's posted a strict schedule he adheres to or anything, but he definitely has split his time between the two games. The difference is that FFXVI work will eventually end and unless he takes a job making FFXVII after he'll be back on FFXIV full time.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, he's still producing and directing FFXIV, while he's just producing FFXVI. It's still going to be a lot of extra work, but it's at least not directing it too.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
As long as Yoshi-P keeps wearing like 20 rings I have full confidence he can carry the Final Fantasy franchise to new heights.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think YoshiP has mentioned potentially stepping down from either the Director or Producer role on XIV and just doing one at some point in the nebulous future. But I think he will probably stay involved with the game in some fashion until they are done making new expansions.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The most defensible reason to make an alt is to attend a friend's wedding on another world, since offworlders still can't attend for some reason.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Consummate Professional posted:

As long as Yoshi-P keeps wearing like 20 rings I have full confidence he can carry the Final Fantasy franchise to new heights.

He knows very well that the real world doesn't have gear slots and thus can equip as much as he wants. Thus his power grows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I know we all love watching new people as they play, found an amazing artist going through HW right now

https://twitter.com/juvijourneys/status/1539707706411429888?t=MChWrB3CxZngAWVWPWPRpw&s=19