Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tongs must always be tested for tonginess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

I worked for chefs who required you to cut tape instead of ripping it and it gets its fingers into you. It is absolutely "a thing" in many fancy schmancy kitchens. Now I required it at the last place I ran and I'll continue to do so at any place I run in the future. No ripping. Get scissors or a knife.

I've never worked in a kitchen, but I have been a painter for a hot minute and the idea of cutting painters tape specifically just makes me laugh!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

um excuse me posted:

Is there a specific reason no one uses a dispenser? I'm just an enthusiast and not a professional so I literally have no idea what the origins, purpose, or expressed importance of cutting tape are. Kind of just sounds like a military type discipline thing.

We use them in the current kitchen I'm in

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's (the tape thing) also seen as a if this new guy can't even to do this one single thing properly what else are they half-assing test.

The dispensers would get stolen/taken to another part of the kitchen and lost/hidden somewhere/etc... it's just easier for every cook to have a roll of tape and a pair of scissors

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The tape in the bar prep area is tied to a pipe on the wall along with a sharpie. I haven't lost a roll or a pen in 3 months now

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I've never worked in a kitchen, but I have been a painter for a hot minute and the idea of cutting painters tape specifically just makes me laugh!

I do contract work for painting interiors and tear tape in that situation. Remember that you still need straight lines, but when you're protecting trim you only need one line to be straight. In kitchen prep the tape is meant to stay visible, and the best presentation is a clean rectangle. So, to some like me, all four lines matter.

One final point: someone mentioned washable prep stickers. No one markets stickers that look like torn tape, they all have crisp edges on simple geometry. This is what you emulate by cutting tape.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, so this isn't a bit? Carry on and sorry for the interruption.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh, so this isn't a bit? Carry on and sorry for the interruption.
A bit? What do you think this is, the carpentry thread?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you tape cutters put the same amount of energy into cutting the exact right length of tape for what you're going to write on it, or into cutting all identical lengths and centering the text precisely, or into having beautiful handwriting? It seems weird to focus so heavily on just one aesthetic element

e: as I recall, the washable date dots have rounded corners, do you guys do that too?

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you tape cutters put the same amount of energy into cutting the exact right length of tape for what you're going to write on it, or into cutting all identical lengths and centering the text precisely, or into having beautiful handwriting? It seems weird to focus so heavily on just one aesthetic element

e: as I recall, the washable date dots have rounded corners, do you guys do that too?

No one is taking a protractor to the tape edges to test if a stage is competent, if that's the sort of scenario you're imagining. It isn't a calligraphy examination. But to a cook unfamiliar with a cut tape standard? its great test of their curiosity and coachability.

Also, cutting tape is not some energy draining herculean effort. Prep labeling is like putting on a tie. You can go Avril Lavigne or Prince Albert. Entirely your choice. Either you have a place in your cooking where this matters (professionally, personally) or you don't.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Write directly on the cambro then cross it out and write the next thing. A well used cambro should look like the Stanley cup.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Induction range recommendations? I think air fryer oven instead of standard convection would be nice since I do oven baked wings a bit. I also cook pizza once a week so 550 degree is a must.

For the range itself, I’ve got little kids so any option to lock the burners/oven is a huge bonus.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

No one is taking a protractor to the tape edges to test if a stage is competent, if that's the sort of scenario you're imagining. It isn't a calligraphy examination. But to a cook unfamiliar with a cut tape standard? its great test of their curiosity and coachability.

Also, cutting tape is not some energy draining herculean effort. Prep labeling is like putting on a tie. You can go Avril Lavigne or Prince Albert. Entirely your choice. Either you have a place in your cooking where this matters (professionally, personally) or you don't.
I'm not surprised that at high-end places there's a lot more focus on appearances, I'm just wondering why that's the one specific element that gets all the attention

mystes
May 31, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm not surprised that at high-end places there's a lot more focus on appearances, I'm just wondering why that's the one specific element that gets all the attention
How are you going to serve people cambro containers of food if the tape has roughly torn edges?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Someone write an AI to see cut vs uncut tape in kitchen nightmares and restaurant impossible

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

I'm just wondering why that's the one specific element that gets all the attention

Unsure how you got this impression.

Lets say you are a first day stage at a michelin one star and you are given as your first task halved cherry tomatoes, eight quarts worth, in single quart containers labeled with cut tape.

Your prep setup is probably the first consideration. How do you handle the knife? Not just when you're using it, but how to you take care of a knife in general at all times. How you take care of a towel. Your mise en place. How are your prep containers arranged? Your cutting board? Is there cohesive execution or are you just slicing away as fast as humanly possible in a race of your own imagination? How do you handle your prep containers? Do you get tomato juice over everything? Seeds in the lid? How do you maintain a clean workspace? "Can you cut tape" is maybe... last evaluated element of prep? Its all sized up in a second-long glance by a chef before you even begin your second quart, and until then its just your actions speaking for you.

The next question of "is this person coachable" is absolutely essential when evaluating how someone performs.

(bordering on restaurant industry thread territory now with this tape derail)

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

It's not really a focus on appearances as much as it is an simple way to remind people of the professional standards of the environment. High end kitchens are competitive places, making your staff cut their tape is an easy task. Trying to skip it is a red flag people for people who aren't going to be able to meet the standards of more critical/challenging jobs later on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I was a chef I would make people cut painter's tape into little ribbon bow shapes with an exacto knife just to be an rear end in a top hat and then write a book about how that showed my commitment to perfection.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I just use a label maker

I have time to wash my paws and keep them clean

It’s black on white so easily legible

Does small and large

Doesn’t leave a residue when you take it off

Always legible

Cheap third party refills on Amazon

Might not be best for commercial environments where cooks will dunk it in tomato sauce or drop it on the floor after someone taps their nuts but seems ideal for home

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it's important for any kitchen to have lots of completely arbitrary little things you can do wrong and get yelled at for

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

eke out posted:

it's important for any kitchen to have lots of completely arbitrary little things you can do wrong and get yelled at for

People that view systematic kitchen protocol as arbitrary are exactly the type certain kitchens want nothing to do with. They're not coachable, not curious, just stubbornly set in their ways. If they can't accept a clean line standard on tape and thinkthey alone can restore civility to the culinary world by standing their ground on torn tape, well god bless them. They'll hopefully find success elsewhere.

As I said earlier, you either have a place in your life where this matters or you don't. I can't imagine criticizing tape in any way at a kitchen without a standard.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Kitchen work is a cycle of abuse and literally everything that goes on in one could be an example, but tape is what got mentioned first.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i like using a grease pencil to mark up my delitainers

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

parthenocarpy posted:

Unsure how you got this impression.
I meant among the other elements of a label that I just asked about. I'm not fighting the good fight for torn tape and Avril Lavigne, I just am curious why the focus, label-wise, is on cutting the tape and not on length of the tape, good handwriting, etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Having never used tape in the kitchen in my life this intense discussion feels insane lol

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

I meant among the other elements of a label that I just asked about. I'm not fighting the good fight for torn tape and Avril Lavigne, I just am curious why the focus, label-wise, is on cutting the tape and not on length of the tape, good handwriting, etc.

i vaguely remember keller or someone saying they thought torn looked sloppy, so they preferred cutting it, but i don't see the issue with a dispenser as long as it gets cleaned

Vegetable posted:

Having never used tape in the kitchen in my life this intense discussion feels insane lol

it's useful for labeling and dating things (which is also useful if you want to pass a health inspection)

also i feel the need to add you can buy masking tape in pretty much any color under the sun if you care to

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Write directly on the cambro then cross it out and write the next thing. A well used cambro should look like the Stanley cup.

I hate to break it to you but they don't cross out names on the Stanley Cup

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Having worked in a large sized commercial kitchen cut tape wasn't the standard, but instead long strips on exactly and only 1 side were the standard there. When you have a 200 table restaurant and an entire floor dedicated to prep and storage, losing a label off of a single cambro (or having it pointed out of sight in a hard to reach area) means that whatever was in the cambro might now be completely thrown out or never used. Where I worked, daily inventory people also had a checklist item to review storage bins and remove and reapply any fussy-looking labels.

I'm gonna venture that the reason for cut tape is so that there's less of a chance that the tape curls/falls off and instead sits flat. Maybe also to help ensure people take more time on the label and don't forget the date. In professional restaurants there's almost always a reason, no matter how psychotic it seems. It's a small factory.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

This tape derail

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

El Mero Mero posted:

Having worked in a large sized commercial kitchen cut tape wasn't the standard, but instead long strips on exactly and only 1 side were the standard there. When you have a 200 table restaurant and an entire floor dedicated to prep and storage, losing a label off of a single cambro (or having it pointed out of sight in a hard to reach area) means that whatever was in the cambro might now be completely thrown out or never used. Where I worked, daily inventory people also had a checklist item to review storage bins and remove and reapply any fussy-looking labels.

I'm gonna venture that the reason for cut tape is so that there's less of a chance that the tape curls/falls off and instead sits flat. Maybe also to help ensure people take more time on the label and don't forget the date. In professional restaurants there's almost always a reason, no matter how psychotic it seems. It's a small factory.

There’s a Dave Arnold story where he had to move his test kitchen, and when his interns found a bunch of unlabeled deli containers filled with white powder and asked him what it was, he put some of it on his tongue and it immediately started burning his taste buds, which he lost for a month. it was lye.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I just use a chalk pen right on the container. Non-toxic, available in many high contrast colours and comes right off in the dishwasher.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In the kitchen I run if I see someone wasting their time cutting tape instead of doing something productive they’re fired on the spot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a Dave Arnold story where he had to move his test kitchen, and when his interns found a bunch of unlabeled deli containers filled with white powder and asked him what it was, he put some of it on his tongue and it immediately started burning his taste buds, which he lost for a month. it was lye.

Dave Arnold's lying tongue

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
In his defense he told that story as example of why you should label everything

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Steve Yun posted:

In his defense he told that story as example of why you should label everything

This. Even in a kitchen, you don't just sample an unlabeled, unidentifiable product. That's a recipe for disaster.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. Even in a kitchen, you don't just sample an unlabeled, unidentifiable product. That's a recipe for disaster.
Seriously why the gently caress would you do that

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’m sorry I interrupted tape chat-but does anyone have any recommendations on inductions stoves?

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Canuck-Errant posted:

I hate to break it to you but they don't cross out names on the Stanley Cup

They do when the person is a coach who sexually assaulted young players with the team.

What are the contents of your delitainers doing to you Flash Gordon Ramsay?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

This is "kinda" for kitchen stuff? But I meal prep into an Anchor 4-cup container. I've been unable to find a lunch bag for it that will hold 2 of them and maybe a little more that isn't obnoxiously large. Do you guys have suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

This is "kinda" for kitchen stuff? But I meal prep into an Anchor 4-cup container. I've been unable to find a lunch bag for it that will hold 2 of them and maybe a little more that isn't obnoxiously large. Do you guys have suggestions?

Ziploc freezer bag maybe?