Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doomykins posted:

What is this "I've never had a deadline in my life oh my god scribble something and put it out the door now now now" shlock, have there ever been other newspaper comics that've broken down in real time? Usually they get health problems or die but even Thimble Theater kept going and you might not notice unless you read the author names changing.

Frank Bolle, late-stage Apartment 3-G?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
War Lady Sicko Mode Comix

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 23, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Even when you can see it coming War Lady Sicko Mode is so cool. :allears:

Selachian posted:

Frank Bolle, late-stage Apartment 3-G?

Any easily accessible examples? Sounds fascinating.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Doomykins posted:

Credit to the comic: I did not see that coming.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Doomykins posted:

https://nebushumor.wordpress.com/2015/11/21/nothing-is-happening-in-apartment-3-g-a-statement-that-will-be-only-more-true-after-tomorrow/

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Doomykins posted:

It was the sort of thing you had to notice week to week, since every individual strip was pretty comprehensible, if bland, but there was just no consistency of location or action. Characters would be in completely different places between days, and he really couldn't keep track of who was doing what at what time, or what time it even was.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Can someone with Comics Kingdom account share the final unfinished Mandrake arc (May 27 2013 until July 6)? It was a trip. Sadly the pics posted to 2013 thread are dead.

Lee Falk's final story (starting here) was also completely nonsensical.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Wasn’t someone going to post Dunce at some point? What ever happened with that?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Dick Locher went off the rails near the end of his Dick Tracy run and Fred Fredericks deteriorated hard on Mandrake, but I think Frank Bolle really had it the hardest. I hope Jules is okay.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Holy smokes! :holymoley: Thanks everyone!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's a great one:

"At the E.R."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Drimble Wedge posted:

:negative: They are actually ON HORSES with REINS in their hands. If there was ever a time for the correct phrase REIN IN, this is absolutely it.

(senior thread translator voice) But actually it would be extremely unethical to include a pun in English unless there was also one in the original language.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Congratulations!

Judging By The Date Stamps This Is Probably An Analogue To The 2007-08 Writers Guild Strike

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, I think this one deserves a higher res version - click through for original size.

Vater & Sohn: The greatest adventure

I hope you enjoyed this classic of German comics history. I don't think that's too much to say - just yesterday I browsed my local bookstore and spotted two more new collected editions. At any rate, thanks for reading along!

Thank you, this was lovely and I appreciated the background information on the artist and the times, too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I'd say the Pondus style is decent, especially for self-taught. It shows best in the hospital staff strip from the other day.

Wide variety of people, consistent style, amusingly cartoony yet recognizably human. The hands aren't great but they fit the style and get the job done. If nothing else I wouldn't accuse Pondus of drawing at a Mark Trail level where the most charitable interpretation is "maybe the deadlines are really mean" and the most accurate reading is "lol, lmao."

However Pondus does punch down a lot and is generally ugly and gross and a bit unpleasant. Sometimes it is lighthearted and funny while handling potentially sensitive matters(I loved the one where the gay couple are yelling about whether or not the vacuum cleaner is working and Pondus overhears and sees a sucking joke) but the team switching joke was quite poorly done.

I'd put Pondus in the same category as the Herman Hedwig(I think, the gross little caveman) comic posted awhile ago. Technically competent cartooning, usually a bit too mean and ugly to not be genuinely unpleasant. Herman would be a 3/5 I personally dislike at times where the worst strips are 1/5 material, Pondus a 2/5 I personally dislike a bit more often, though capable of getting a hit in now and then.

By the same rubric I'd quantify Pondus as being about Piranha Club level. It's not actively maliciously offensive like say Dilbert is, although I think Dilbert is more trolling than bigoted. But most of the time the jokes really just aren't good enough to overlook its other flaws. I still can't get past that time awhile back it just did a random Seinfeld reference. That would be hacky even for a translator, let alone the original writer (never got a clear answer on who was responsible for that to be fair).

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

Wasn’t someone going to post Dunce at some point? What ever happened with that?
I was, but since it's for Patreon subscribers only I haven't been doing it. I'm still paying him though and I keep thinking I'll ask if he minds if i post them but I haven't.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (February 23-25, 1939)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTFdjs_QGWc

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

It was the sort of thing you had to notice week to week, since every individual strip was pretty comprehensible, if bland, but there was just no consistency of location or action. Characters would be in completely different places between days, and he really couldn't keep track of who was doing what at what time, or what time it even was.

My favorite was the time when a couple of characters were supposed to be meeting at a restaurant, and Bolle just drew them standing around an apartment.

(It's especially funny/sad when you know that Margaret Shulock, who wrote the comic, is an artist herself and used to draw little simplified storyboards for each strip, which Bolle apparently ignored.)

I suppose you could dig out more Apartment 3-G from the old iterations of this thread if you're really curious.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Walt got a good chuckle out of me.

Vater & Sohn was soooooooooooo good!

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 23, 1919

And He Did! July 5, 1919

Cat Tales June 6, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 1, 1936

Mopsy February 9, 1938

Up Front June 14, 1945

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/points-system-us-armys-demobilization

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 21, 1952

Those Were the Days May 18, 1961

LOL

Doomykins posted:

What is this "I've never had a deadline in my life oh my god scribble something and put it out the door now now now" shlock, have there ever been other newspaper comics that've broken down in real time? Usually they get health problems or die but even Thimble Theater kept going and you might not notice unless you read the author names changing.
Morrie Turner, I suppose, although it happened very slowly over 50 years.
Wee Pals August 24, 1966

A more recent strip from the 2010s

Dogbert June 13, 1967

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hostile V posted:

Odds, Ends, Etc.

This is perhaps the single most platonic expression of Holbrook's ethos. His middle-aged dad OC is way cooler and stronger than the strawman predator, in this case a comically dated parody of Dog the Bounty Hunter. There isn't actually any logical reason why the OC should be cooler or stronger, he's literally just physically larger than the strawman character, but it's still presented as a moral victory anyway.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Yep. Just taking this whole week for these two dummies to discover the foreign concept of "friendship."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True June 23, 1919

If there were a second Everett True, I'm convinced he'd deck himself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

If there were a second Everett True, I'm convinced he'd deck himself.

They would fight to the death

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm imagining a motionless stand-off between the E Trues. Just waiting for one of them to sneeze so the other can iai strike him before a "Pardon me," is uttered.

Docks

Retail

Popcom (double Tommy edition)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Bloop posted:

They would fight to the death

I don't know. He seems pretty unbonkable outside of Mrs. True.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Doomykins posted:

Can the sasquatch teach Jules basic perspective

lmfao

look at the size of that halfpipe in panel 1. note the adult humans running by it at half its size, now look at panel 3. look at it. is Rusty 12 feet tall, is this teenager being absolutely loving pulped by a giant sheet of plywood or sheet metal, look at his hands, look at that, look at his face literally shrink in panel 3 I guess that is a hell of an impact, look, look, look!!! what the hell! oh and of course Rusty literally teleported to be in that position between those panels, hahahahahaha!
Also, judging by the position of his feet, he is standing in front of the falling thing and falling over out of sympathy.

Mister Olympus posted:

There was a conversation which the narration boxes and dialogue said was happenign in a diner, but the art said was happening on a sidewalk. Lasted a few days, IIRC

Kennel posted:

Here's a great one:

"At the E.R."
:hmmyes:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Hickock gets put on the RSPCA blacklist, or Vittorio makes this awkward for everyone, or Blueberry tries his hand at stand-up, much to Pearl's disapproval

And... that's the end of this adventure! And... I also think I will be taking a break from uploading these for a while. Please note, this is not me saying I'm giving up - it's just that this story was the longest of the bunch, and I burned through my back-log doing it. As anyone else who does translation work for this thread will note, translation work is not easy... and this comic is pretty darn prolix.

I also need to check something about the publication date of certain adventures to make sure things are posted in the correct order.

I can't say when I'll start updating, but it shouldn't be too long from now. All I can say is Blueberry WILL return... same Bat-channel, but not same Bat-time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I don't know. He seems pretty unbonkable outside of Mrs. True.

Then it would be an endless stalemate. Locked in battle for all time like (certain versions of) captain America and the red skull

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

One of my favorite arcs:

Margo walking around lost, hungry, no idea who anyone is, getting robbed and/or buying a buttered roll from a waitress(?) outdoors(?)at a restaurant(?) since the loving background art never seems to change, no matter where they are.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Frank Bolle Apartment 3-G saga feels like it was just yesterday. drat.

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sundays Mar 9, 1941

gently caress you, Cyril.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

A relevant blog post by Murray about Dog's name(or lack thereof).

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

By the same rubric I'd quantify Pondus as being about Piranha Club level. It's not actively maliciously offensive like say Dilbert is, although I think Dilbert is more trolling than bigoted. But most of the time the jokes really just aren't good enough to overlook its other flaws. I still can't get past that time awhile back it just did a random Seinfeld reference. That would be hacky even for a translator, let alone the original writer (never got a clear answer on who was responsible for that to be fair).

You have to understand that for certain subset of boomers Seinfeld is the greatest show ever made and they will never stop quoting it.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (July 17, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

There's one in the US, too, Joe Kubert School. A lot of notable comics people came from there

i have a coworker who went there! (i do not work in the comics field, sorry.) he's mentioned being acquaintances/pals with some artists that have come up in the thread.

he also mentioned being one of the very few students in his year who went there for the purpose of doing newspaper comics (since a lot of people wanted to go more the comic book route). apparently the way the comic book-inclined students would joke with the newspaper ones was to go "gonna draw rex morgan?" because even then it wasn't particularly interesting.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:cripes: how the hell does this kid have a relationship if Tiktok is where he gets his info from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i got bad news about today's teens