Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there are games via EA Play on Steam that still require Origin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'll get my steam deck when they do a hardware refresh then 😔

If it's any consolation I kinda suspect that the 512GB model just got nerd-DDoSed the minute it went live, and once it gets over the hump it'll start accelerating in its pace.

No telling when that'll be.

I like the thing for gaming much more than I thought I would. Part of that is because I can play while lying entirely on my back.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lockback posted:

MS released step by step instructions including Linux commands to get gamepass streaming working on the Deck, so I don't think they care much about what OS you're on. Also the Steam Deck is like 4 months old so

Why wouldn’t game pass streaming just work out of the box with a browser?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Probably some sort of DRM like Netflix has. It didn't work on Linux for a decent amount of time. It does now though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hammer Bro. posted:

If it's any consolation I kinda suspect that the 512GB model just got nerd-DDoSed the minute it went live, and once it gets over the hump it'll start accelerating in its pace.

No telling when that'll be.

I like the thing for gaming much more than I thought I would. Part of that is because I can play while lying entirely on my back.
Yeah, it'll pretty much have to pick up pace at some point for me to be in Q3 at all; I placed my reservation almost 24 hours after they went live. Considering July starts in a few days and they're like an hour into the 512s after four months or so there's mathematically going to need to be a hump somewhere they're getting over for me to get mine at any point this year.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Lots of people talking about their success stories getting favorite games to run on Deck. Anyone have failure stories? That game you love which just refuses to run correctly?

I'm not interested in hearing about games where the Deck is not powerful enough to run it, but rather games which it feasibly could run but the software just won't work in Proton.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
the deck can never fail, only be failed

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Lots of people talking about their success stories getting favorite games to run on Deck. Anyone have failure stories? That game you love which just refuses to run correctly?

I'm not interested in hearing about games where the Deck is not powerful enough to run it, but rather games which it feasibly could run but the software just won't work in Proton.

I absolutely cannot figure out how to mod Final Fantasy 12. It runs perfectly vanilla but I want to play the Struggle for Freedom mod, which requires installation/deployment through Vortex.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Quoting this in the desperate hope someone here has figured out how to get Desktop Dungeons functioning instead of immediately quitting out

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

Quoting this in the desperate hope someone here has figured out how to get Desktop Dungeons functioning instead of immediately quitting out

Have you tried running it in windowed mode?

https://www.protondb.com/app/226620

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rinkles posted:

To get the steam controls to work immediately instead of requiring you to navigate with a mouse.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Cris Tales: was looking forward to getting this on deep discount but apparently the videos don't work? And that's every cutscene so rather important.

Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns: everything is offscreen so there's no way to even access the option to try to change the resolution

Tales of Beseria: not supported

Olija: not supported

Bionic Commando Rearmed: AGEIA PHYSX error (the bad 3D Bionic Commando game works though)

Rocketbirds, Recettear: no audio

Powerslide: there seems to be no way to get it to map the deck controls as direct input, so you're stuck mapping them to the keyboard, which works but isn't as robust - on the plus side the deck has some sort of GLIDE wrapper built in, so the native 3DFX support works (but only at 800x600, which may be a 3DFX limitation)

Lots of other games: Video plays with the weird interlacing and bad colors, or doesn't play at all (color bars)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 27, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I can't get dungeonmans to work :(

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

Force a specific compatibility tool and choose Proton

- or -

Switch to desktop mode, browse local files, delete the DesktopDungeons_Data/lib folder

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I can’t get the HotA mod for heroes of might and magic 3 to work

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couple of random issues.

I played Doom 2016 for a couple of hours and overall it was pretty flawless other than a slight frame dip here and there, Mostly running at 50-60 it seemed though. but then tonight I fire it up and after hitting continue it just never gets past the loading screen, restart the steam deck, same thing but then the game also just straight up crashes. Attempt 3 the game loads but it runs like unplayable dog poo poo now. Straight up freezing for seconds, Fluctuating between like 5 and 60 fps constantly...No idea what happened there. It's not even playable atm it runs so bad and it was almost butter before.

The store keeps going back to the main page from like 2 weeks ago. It'll load correctly, but if I click on a game and hit B to go back instead of bringing me to the previous page it's some sale that ended like 10 days ago. I dunno if there is some cache I need to clear or what.

Also games sometimes turning into a slide show (like 1 frame every 3 seconds) in random cutscenes in games and then being fine once I skip it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone looked into custom bootloaders or being able to share the SD card between windows and steamos? This video has a cool setup but doesn’t actually explain how to set it up

Technically, if you format the card as FAT32 both OSs should see it. idk if Steam OS will let you install and run games on that, or how it would affect performence over the native file system.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

Couple of random issues.

I played Doom 2016 for a couple of hours and overall it was pretty flawless other than a slight frame dip here and there, Mostly running at 50-60 it seemed though. but then tonight I fire it up and after hitting continue it just never gets past the loading screen, restart the steam deck, same thing but then the game also just straight up crashes. Attempt 3 the game loads but it runs like unplayable dog poo poo now. Straight up freezing for seconds, Fluctuating between like 5 and 60 fps constantly...No idea what happened there. It's not even playable atm it runs so bad and it was almost butter before.

The store keeps going back to the main page from like 2 weeks ago. It'll load correctly, but if I click on a game and hit B to go back instead of bringing me to the previous page it's some sale that ended like 10 days ago. I dunno if there is some cache I need to clear or what.

Also games sometimes turning into a slide show (like 1 frame every 3 seconds) in random cutscenes in games and then being fine once I skip it.

Where you downloading and/or patching games in the background? I was playing FFVII: Remake earlier today and the game had absolutely abysmal loading times for some reason and I was getting FPS hitching left and right, cutscenes would just hang up. It turns out that the Deck was downloading and patching several games in the background and some of them where several GB worth of poo poo to patch, I guess I was bottlenecking the hell out of the CPU trying to run FFVII: Remake at the same time. Maybe it was the same in your case?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
By far the Deck’s biggest flaw for me is that downloading basically has to be done by queueing up a bunch of games, preventing it from entering sleep mode, and just leaving it on the downloads page with nothing else running in the background. Major pain in the rear end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sigher posted:

Where you downloading and/or patching games in the background? I was playing FFVII: Remake earlier today and the game had absolutely abysmal loading times for some reason and I was getting FPS hitching left and right, cutscenes would just hang up. It turns out that the Deck was downloading and patching several games in the background and some of them where several GB worth of poo poo to patch, I guess I was bottlenecking the hell out of the CPU trying to run FFVII: Remake at the same time. Maybe it was the same in your case?

Actually yeah I was downloading a game so that hopefully explains that. Didn't even think about it having that much of an effect.

Pirate Jet posted:

By far the Deck’s biggest flaw for me is that downloading basically has to be done by queueing up a bunch of games, preventing it from entering sleep mode, and just leaving it on the downloads page with nothing else running in the background. Major pain in the rear end.

Yeah at least the ability to DL in sleep mode. It's so weird it can't do that because everything else I own can except my laptop and I guess it's a PC so...Still seems like a glaring flaw with steam OS though.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I haven't been able to get the Septimus Skyrim modpack to work, it always crashes a bit after startup. Normal Skyrim works fine tho.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was playing and enjoying the gently caress out of Renegade Ops on PC but the final level crashed every time and then the next day I got my steam deck and stupidly crossed my fingers I could finish it there but it wont even launch on deck :sigh: I don't think it's had an update in a decade so whatever.

Also Chernobylite runs like poo poo, but it also runs like poo poo on my laptop that well exceeds the recommended requirements. That game just seems horribly optimized. I wish I refunded it when I had the chance.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Cloudpunk runs beautifully if that's your jam. Be aware that it's not heavy on skills-based gameplay and you spend most of your time cruising in a flying car across a gorgeous floating cyberpunk voxel city. And running around on foot to talk to people after reaching the various locations. The driving/flying is really super chill. The game does drain the battery on default settings, mind.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pirate Jet posted:

veni veni veni posted:

Actually yeah I was downloading a game so that hopefully explains that. Didn't even think about it having that much of an effect.

Yeah at least the ability to DL in sleep mode. It's so weird it can't do that because everything else I own can except my laptop and I guess it's a PC so...Still seems like a glaring flaw with steam OS though.
I don't think it's that, it's fine being on to download, most of the consoles are using most of the power when they download while "sleeping", it's that you can't put it to sleep and then queue up some downloads on your computer and have the Deck turn itself on to download them and then go back to sleep once it's done. This is basically what the Switch does and it's criminal that the Deck can't.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah it really needs a "turn off screen and finish updates before going to sleep" option.

The only problems I ran into so far were caused by the (3rd party) plugin manager leading to menu hangs, and some minor issues with switching between desktop apps/closing them while in gaming mode. Nothing big though, I'm amazed at how much games just work on this thing. A huge leap forward compared to how it was when the original steam machines launched.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Couldn't get Bloodstained 2: Curse of the Moon to recognize the controller buttons except for like 2.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

jokes posted:

I absolutely cannot figure out how to mod Final Fantasy 12. It runs perfectly vanilla but I want to play the Struggle for Freedom mod, which requires installation/deployment through Vortex.

if either of us figure it out, we gotta post it here so the other sees

the best I got is that all that's being modified is the .vbf and in older versions of the mod you directly patched that. in theory we could just apply the patch and then transfer it over to the Deck, but we'd have to either request the direct .vbf patch from the modder or figure out how to make that happen ourselves

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

Switch to desktop mode, browse local files, delete the DesktopDungeons_Data/lib folder

And works perfectly now, forums come through again

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The reason I think you cant download while sleep is that if you put it in the case and then queued some downloads this thing would melt.

Of course they could just check temps and turnoff anyway, so who knows.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Yeah no, it would be reckless to download things in standby, both for battery life and thermals. A 'shut down after downloads' option would be nice though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

if either of us figure it out, we gotta post it here so the other sees

the best I got is that all that's being modified is the .vbf and in older versions of the mod you directly patched that. in theory we could just apply the patch and then transfer it over to the Deck, but we'd have to either request the direct .vbf patch from the modder or figure out how to make that happen ourselves

I'll reach out to the modder and see what he says, and I'll report back.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Downloading updates while plugged in and asleep seems totally reasonable, maybe we'll get that.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I couldn't get desk job to work on my deck when I got it. I fought it for about 20 minutes, then gave up after reinstalling and verifying the files. Kind of a bad look, but the only other thing that hasn't run right is XCOM.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

The reason I think you cant download while sleep is that if you put it in the case and then queued some downloads this thing would melt.

Of course they could just check temps and turnoff anyway, so who knows.

Yeah it’s this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Still would be a nice option to be able to turn on, maybe with a warning not to use the case? Mine has not been in it's case since since I got it so it's mostly a non issue.

Then again there's still probably a non insignificant amount of people that would use it anyways, use the case and then claim it was defective when something goes wrong

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I invite you to put it in your case while on. Since patching is extremely CPU and storage intensive, all that this standby mode would gain were a disabled display. It wouldn't actually be standby anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I invite you to put it in your case while on. Since patching is extremely CPU and storage intensive, all that this standby mode would gain were a disabled display. It wouldn't actually be standby anymore.

Maybe if they did an ultra low power mode it could work but I’d have to imagine everything would be throttled to hell so who knows how long everything would take.

Even then I’m sure they would be concerned with the heat generation.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
IMO, having a "update and turn off" feature is easy and should happen. Maybe also make a "poll and update if available" mode when plugged in. Anything else would be improper. The deck could run out of power or otherwise enter a bad state while unsupervised.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SEKCobra posted:

IMO, having a "update and turn off" feature is easy and should happen. Maybe also make a "poll and update if available" mode when plugged in. Anything else would be improper. The deck could run out of power or otherwise enter a bad state while unsupervised.

Yeah that seems like it would be a pretty good solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Last night I booted up Yakuza 7, it was the first time the fan got loud enough to be bothersome.

I'm gonna try again with a locked 30 FPS, anything else I should consider to make it run more quietly?