Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The Cubelodyte posted:

As someone who was born and raised in San Diego and Escondido, this assertion doesn’t make sense to me either, and I’m curious as to why you think it’s the case.

To be sincere, this is kinda enlightening. I guess I don't hang around enough people from San Diego County.

A lot of times, when I see notices for service across socal, it includes riverside and orange county but not san diego. But it might be because the ads I see are mainly local. So I admit I was mistaken in my hot take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

sb hermit posted:

To be sincere, this is kinda enlightening. I guess I don't hang around enough people from San Diego County.

A lot of times, when I see notices for service across socal, it includes riverside and orange county but not san diego. But it might be because the ads I see are mainly local. So I admit I was mistaken in my hot take.

Your take is a perfect summary of the relationship between LA and SD. LA doesn't look down on San Diego, it just forgets that the state keeps going south of Camp Pendelton.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Weembles posted:

Your take is a perfect summary of the relationship between LA and SD. LA doesn't look down on San Diego, it just forgets that the state keeps going south of Camp Pendelton.

As someone who has spent much of my life in SD and OC, I treat anything north of OC as a hellscape of gridlock.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Weembles posted:

I used to commute from buena park to carlsbad (you read that correctly) and north SD county is relatively pleasant and the weather tends to be very nice.

But the traffic right around oceanside and carlsbad seems to be perpetually terrible. I would visit more if traffic were not an issue. The train ride is very scenic, though.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The bay area is everything west of Texas.

We need a sandwich alignment chart with areas that could be considered the bay area. I will be a doctrinal extremist and say that only SF Oakland and Marin are the bay area. All other counties are not.

wait, on what criteria? you exclude almost everything that touches the bay, but include the one part of it that doesn't have BART?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

People from Redding are supposed to do the thing where they claim the Bay Area is not Northern California. Lots of people I grew up with in Marin have website bios saying "born and raised in San Francisco" lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I will be a doctrinal extremist and say that only SF Oakland and Marin are the bay area. All other counties are not.

Novato Yes, Petaluma No

Pleasanton Yes, Livermore No

San Jose Yes, Morgan Hill No

Vallejo Yes, Point Reyes Yes

Santa Cruz No, Half Moon Bay No

edit:
Was Mac Dre on the playlist at your prom? Bay Area, baby

The Wiggly Wizard fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 23, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

wait, on what criteria? you exclude almost everything that touches the bay, but include the one part of it that doesn't have BART?

I'll admit that this was intended to trigger as many bay-ites as possible. I myself live in Sonoma county consider myself to be in the bay area and norther California. However I've had people who don't live near me both say I don't live in the bay area and also I don't live in NorCal because I'm not in Trinity or Shasta county.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 23, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

We need a sandwich alignment chart with areas that could be considered the bay area. I will be a doctrinal extremist and say that only SF Oakland and Marin are the bay area. All other counties are not.

the ICE enforcement borders north of Bakersfield = The Bay. Yes even the part that's touching Oregon.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

sb hermit posted:

I used to commute from buena park to carlsbad (you read that correctly) and north SD county is relatively pleasant and the weather tends to be very nice.

But the traffic right around oceanside and carlsbad seems to be perpetually terrible. I would visit more if traffic were not an issue. The train ride is very scenic, though.

If I had that commute, I would do my best to forget San Diego exists too.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I was an exchange student during the Loma Prieta earthquake, grown adults pulled me out of school concerned that I needed to make sure my family in Wisconsin was OK. Not that I expect people in other countries to know or care about our geography as a general rule, but eesh.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I turned on CNN after the 2003 San Simeon earthquake and they were showing a city skyline of like San Jose or something nowhere near any of the damage. (And then they went back to regular programming when it turned out "only" two people had died.)

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
goddamn I love d&d. I can't believe someone posted in this thread "San diego isn't considered part of SoCal". lol, I also enjoy the guy who tried to tell me that the oc is part of LA by linking the wiki of greater LA metropolitican region.

As someone from la and knowing many oc people and angelenos, we'd never associate with each other. to people not well versed in it, we'd just use socal, but the idea of someone from the oc saying I'm from LA is nuts. at most they'd say "I live near disneyland" or something to that effect.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Mirello posted:

goddamn I love d&d. I can't believe someone posted in this thread "San diego isn't considered part of SoCal". lol, I also enjoy the guy who tried to tell me that the oc is part of LA by linking the wiki of greater LA metropolitican region.

As someone from la and knowing many oc people and angelenos, we'd never associate with each other. to people not well versed in it, we'd just use socal, but the idea of someone from the oc saying I'm from LA is nuts. at most they'd say "I live near disneyland" or something to that effect.

I'm moving to OC in a few months and I'll just tell people I'm in LA who are not from California and especially not from the USA. Orange just strikes me as the Burbs, no different than Stevenson Ranch/Valencia on the other side.

On the other hand, I am a transplant so someone growing in the area, I can see someone being super specific, but it's not going to track with non-locals.

Ask any tourist friend coming to visit you from abroad, they assume they can do LA and San Francisco in one day.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
San Diego is SoCal+

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mirello posted:

also enjoy the guy who tried to tell me that the oc is part of LA by linking the wiki of greater LA metropolitican region.

I said "LA area" you ding dong lol. Orange county is a part of the LA metropolitan area.

America Inc. posted:

There's essentially one urban area from New York to Washington DC but that doesn't mean they're all the same city. I definitely see LA and OC as two different places.

If someone from OC is talking to a non-Californian what do you think they will say, "I'm from LA" or "I'm from SoCal"?

Orange county is part of the LA metropolitan area. NYC and Washington DC are not in the same metropolitan area. Downtown LA is only 20 miles from Orange county, while NYC and DC are 200 miles apart.

My replies were to someone implying that it's wrong to associate a suburb with a central city (it's not!), and to this post:

Kenning posted:

Nice to see that LA has some good news in local politics when the Bay is maintaining its status as a neoliberal political nightmare.

Which compares the Bay ( a metro area) to LA. So it's fair to assume that by "LA", they mean the "LA metro area", and not the city of LA, because to compare a single municipality to an entire metro would be a bad comparison.

The Bay Area did not have entirely lovely elections, and the LA metro area did not have entirely good elections.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It is my contention that Santa Barbara is also in LA.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not sure how there is any room for debate there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It makes Sacramento people equally upset when I tell them that the entire metro is Sacramento and nobody cares about which sub-city they live in. shut up, rancho Cordova is part of Sacramento.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Larry Parrish posted:

It makes Sacramento people equally upset when I tell them that the entire metro is Sacramento and nobody cares about which sub-city they live in. shut up, rancho Cordova is part of Sacramento.

As someone who lives in Sac, it's all Sacramento until Roseville or Folsom to the east. The other directions are all Sac until you hit empty fields.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Vegas is also LA

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rah! posted:

I said "LA area" you ding dong lol. Orange county is a part of the LA metropolitan area.

Orange county is part of the LA metropolitan area. NYC and Washington DC are not in the same metropolitan area. Downtown LA is only 20 miles from Orange county, while NYC and DC are 200 miles apart.

My replies were to someone implying that it's wrong to associate a suburb with a central city (it's not!), and to this post:

Which compares the Bay ( a metro area) to LA. So it's fair to assume that by "LA", they mean the "LA metro area", and not the city of LA, because to compare a single municipality to an entire metro would be a bad comparison.

The Bay Area did not have entirely lovely elections, and the LA metro area did not have entirely good elections.

ok "ding dong" so New jersey is part of New york too? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area New jersey is even closer to manhattan than OC to LA. Obviously we wouldn't say people from new jersey are from new york. get a brain.

I mean it's just absurd. My original point is correct. nobody from LA would say they're from OC and noone from OC would say they're from LA.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Orange County is definitively part of the LA metro area, and that's before considering the even larger combined statistical area of Greater LA. If you have an issue with that, take it up with the demographers at the US Census Bureau I guess.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kenning posted:

It is my contention that Santa Barbara is also in LA.

This wasn't true when I left it for college in SLO, but has been true ever since when I go back to visit. That's either because of my lived experiences or because there are metered on-ramps now.

Also acceptable is LA is anywhere Metrolink reaches (which would exclude SB).

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Abortion tourism here we come.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

i live in oc and i've only said that i live in LA when people press past my original answer of "california."

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I live in OC and want to move out of OC

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like a lot of people know "orange county" so i dunno why anyone would claim LA except out of some sense of shame of association (which hey, maybe if ur rich & white or right wing weirdo or Irvine psycho but neither apply here and those people dont have a sense of shame anyway 😅). As a sane kind actual human being there's no reason to feel shame about being here, maybe receive sympathy having to exist in these white suburbs where just walking thru gets you slapped on a terrified nextdoor post. Great nature spots and plenty of areas where it isnt just like bein in Get Out.

I wanna escape oc too but when i do im escaping the whole drat country for a nation with a lower cost of living and less psycho sheriffs

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 24, 2022

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I feel like a lot of people know "orange county" so i dunno why anyone would claim LA except out of some sense of shame of association (which hey, maybe if ur rich & white but neither apply here 😅)

it's only ever come up on the internet for me. i'm not ashamed of being from OC because the shame of being from the united states is enough.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rah! posted:

Yeah but I can drive from NY to DC in about the same amount of time it takes to drive from LA to OC.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

CompeAnansi posted:

Abortion tourism here we come.

Yeah, Roe v Wade has been officially struck down. Still don't want to secede?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

America Inc. posted:

Yeah, Roe v Wade has been officially struck down. Still don't want to secede?

Does seceding mean we can ban guns?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

secession means we can finally be ruled by only Google

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Rainbow Knight posted:

secession means we can finally be ruled by only Google

Apple is even richer than Google.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VikingofRock posted:

Does seceding mean we can ban guns?

seceding means we ban guns because the cops enact a junta

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway i went to dsa mutual aid event (running a cooling station because the city is useless) for the first time since COVID other than a random protest for the last healthcare bill before it died. it was fun and it was nice to be doing something again but it was fairly embarrassing that there was like one mutual aid committee person and me and then like 3 people all from the E-board because nobody volunteered lol. but otoh everyone was inside hiding and we barely got through a case of water anyway

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

anyway i went to dsa mutual aid event (running a cooling station because the city is useless) for the first time since COVID other than a random protest for the last healthcare bill before it died. it was fun and it was nice to be doing something again but it was fairly embarrassing that there was like one mutual aid committee person and me and then like 3 people all from the E-board because nobody volunteered lol. but otoh everyone was inside hiding and we barely got through a case of water anyway

I think it's cool that you did that and you shouldn't be embarrassed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, good job Larry. All I did was go to a rally and flip off a dipshit right as somebody came up beside me and pleaded with everybody not to engage.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I think it's cool that you did that and you shouldn't be embarrassed.

it's second hand emabrassment for my friends on the E-board, it's not mine. im pretty sure every dsa chapter is like 20 active regulars and a legion of paper members but it's gotten especially bad. the protest in 2021 was like 20 people, and like half of that was random people who saw the tweet or w.e. and appeared out of the ether

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ok Newsome, you want to be presidential, pass CalCare with 100% enshrined abortion rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FilthyImp posted:

Ok Newsome, you want to be presidential, pass CalCare with 100% enshrined abortion rights

oops we revoked planned parenthoods tax status instead. hands were tied, all 3 Republicans in the assembly were on important committees somehow