Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Car Hater posted:

The big water caused a once in a thousand years storm, washing your settlement away

Do you want to start a new game? Y/N

yes please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lollontee posted:

a strong and ideologically motivated government, with immensely powerful manufacturing and scientific sectors of society, adapting to 2.5 degree warming over the course of 50 years in a way that doesn't lead to the total collapse of technological civilization, but merely immense chaos and suffering; and this is something you cannot visualize?

Does this magical hypothetical nation have an impenetrable dome over it to keep the rest of the world out? I can visualize that.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I realized I don't have a real quantitative sense of emissions and forcers, trying to learn today. How's this doohickey? https://en-roads.climateinteractive.org/scenario.html?v=22.5.1

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rectal Death Adept posted:

*rolls dice*
The big fresh water source attracted dozens of disparate gangs, several of which eat you

They get sick because you had already poo poo yourself to death of giardia from drinking unpurified water

jokes on you I have a water purification system so the gangs will eat well

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Wondering what the health effects of the glue that holds plywood together is. Construction workers have to be breathing a ton of that poo poo in when they cut the wood

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
every roving apocalypse gang needs a den mother to straighten up and dust the rows of skulls while they're out on a hunt

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Ruggan posted:

yes please

You emerge from formlessness and become aware...

You are a sapling in a forest

a once in a thousand years firestorm is burning all around you

Would you like to start a new game? Y/N

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Car Hater posted:

You emerge from formlessness and become aware...

You are a sapling in a forest

a once in a thousand years firestorm is burning all around you

Would you like to start a new game? Y/N

Y

Undecided Moderate
Jun 22, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Wondering what the health effects of the glue that holds plywood together is. Construction workers have to be breathing a ton of that poo poo in when they cut the wood

That greenish treated lumber is soaked in arsenic iirc

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This could have gone in any number of threads but this one is as good as any.
https://twitter.com/JohnMoralesTV/status/1540329026950254595

I'm sure the oil companies are definitely not going to start taking more drastic measures if legislation starts getting mean to them.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

platzapS posted:

I realized I don't have a real quantitative sense of emissions and forcers, trying to learn today. How's this doohickey? https://en-roads.climateinteractive.org/scenario.html?v=22.5.1

it's decent, the underlying assumptions aren't exactly radical so you'll always see things happening in a more or less linear fashion but there's a million things to mess with and it's easy to see the scale of things

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

net work error posted:

This could have gone in any number of threads but this one is as good as any.
https://twitter.com/JohnMoralesTV/status/1540329026950254595

I'm sure the oil companies are definitely not going to start taking more drastic measures if legislation starts getting mean to them.

what do you mean by 'going to' ?
https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1540011669325516800

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Ruggan posted:

yes please

The big water caused a once in a thousand years storm, washing your settlement away

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Donzinger is a good point.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ihmemies posted:

People don't give a poo poo about climate change because the info is just something they can't/won't remember:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/06/impact-of-reading-about-climate-science-goes-away-almost-instantly/

Oh what's that, increased co2 in atmosphere causes mass fires, floods and famine?

... *Thought evaporates*

Wanna go bowling?

"Exposing people to scientific information seems to work, but only briefly—and very briefly if they subsequently get exposed to misinformation in the form of opinion pieces. The researchers involved refer to holding accurate information as "fragile" and conclude that "the persistence of misperceptions reflects both the limits of human memory and the constraints imposed by the political information environment.""

More vindication that living inside the climate change death spiral thread is good actually

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

You are an albatross chick

The plastic your parent is feeding you sticks in your craw

Would you like to liberate yourself from Samsara? Y/N

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

And on page 666 too. drat, Rime, you know how to make an entrance.

Welcome back.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

climate collapse is nothing im worried about primate prolapse. thats gonna be the real mess.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Hexigrammus posted:

And on page 666 too. drat, Rime, you know how to make an entrance.

Welcome back.

Time for the gimmick D&D satanic panic QCS thread.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Zurtilik posted:

How do these “once-in-a-thousand-years” events keep happening???

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Folks...

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

It's been a long time since I looked at this when we were building but - interior grade plywood used a urea formaldehyde glue that would outgas into your living area. Low levels don't seem to be a problem (lol) until you get to the levels they hit in the 1980s when houses had their insulation upgraded by blowing urea formaldehyde expanding foam into the wall cavities. A number of these houses became unlivable and there was a government program to remove it tacked on to the government program to install it. (whoopsie!)

Marine / exterior grade plywood didn't have this problem but who pays extra for better plywood glue?

Irrespective of the toxic glue fine wood dust is damaging to your lungs. Join CSPAM's Respirator Crew if you're cutting plywood.

Undecided Moderate posted:

That greenish treated lumber is soaked in arsenic iirc

Not anymore, at least in :canada:. Not sure what horrors the new preservative offers but it's not arsenic.

That's the good news. Bad news is that the old pressure treated wood in contact with soil has a life expectancy of 25 years. There are millions of PT fenceposts that are rotting out and need replacing. The posts are supposed to be treated like hazardous waste - cut them up into garbage can sized pieces, collect any sawdust produced by cutting, double bag everything and send it to landfill to become someone else's problem.

Might want to map the locations of landfills when trying to find "safe" places to move to.

Ruggan posted:

How do these “once-in-a-thousand-years” events keep happening???

Yeah, I want to take a close look at those dice...

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

a strong and ideologically motivated government, with immensely powerful manufacturing and scientific sectors of society, adapting to 2.5 degree warming over the course of 50 years in a way that doesn't lead to the total collapse of technological civilization, but merely immense chaos and suffering; and this is something you cannot visualize?

...Can I see it?

No.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

lollontee posted:

That immense chaos and suffering rips apart the global web that enables said sectors.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
If you enjoyed the anti-abortion aperitif...
https://www.vice.com/en/article/epx357/koch-brothers-epa-supreme-court-climate-change

quote:

The Kochs’ Dream of Smashing Climate Action May Be About to Come True
The Supreme Court will decide in June whether to gut the EPA’s ability to fight global heating, and you can thank Charles Koch for that.

The Koch brothers have been using their vast fortunes to fight government regulation since 1974. Now, their empire may be on the cusp of one of its biggest wins in a generation: trimming the powers of the U.S. presidency and gutting the Environmental Protection Agency’s ability to fight climate change.

That is—if the Supreme Court agrees.

In June, the Supreme Court will deliver a potentially monumental decision in a case that could change the way the U.S. government works, and potentially hammer the EPA’s ability to lower greenhouse gas emissions. If that happens, you can thank a billionaire named Charles Koch, the remaining member of the fabulously rich and notoriously influential Koch brothers, owners of the second-largest private industrial conglomerate in America.

The Koch network spent decades building up a powerful set of think tanks and advocacy groups that have focused on rolling back the power of the federal government to regulate businesses. Now, that network may be about to score a crushing victory in a case called West Virginia vs. EPA.

In a nutshell, the decision could restrict the power of executive branch agencies—the EPA and possibly others—from making significant rules that go much beyond the specific powers laid out by Congress.

“The ruling is likely to curtail not just EPA’s ability to combat climate change but the government’s ability to protect the public from other threats, from financial fraud to public health,” said Dan Farber, an expert on environmental and constitutional law at UC Berkeley School of Law.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what do you think about this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Hnv_ZJSQY

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/5/24/18273198/climate-change-russ-george-unilateral-geoengineering

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

sounds like he’s all tied up with the worlds happiest corporation. no thank you goon

quote:

“He told us he was the world’s leading expert on OIF [ocean iron fertilization],” Disney told an interviewer in 2017. Disney, in turn, pitched the plan to locals as a route to financial independence. “Old Massett is controlled by the outside world,” he told residents at these meetings. “You need to create your own wealth to govern yourselves.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

platzapS posted:

it’s good for learning, obviously doesn’t include everything

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

grotesque old white people are waging war on people's ability to live, to have autonomy of their own bodies, and even having a survivable planet to inhabit

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

No of course not. Do you think they're gonna built a dome over the whole of China? Relocate a few hundred million people to underground cities? Build several thousand nuke plants to provide the power to desalinate enough water for a billion people? They'll obviously outlast the west but they're still hosed in the long run.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tekne posted:

grotesque old white people are waging war on people's ability to live, to have autonomy of their own bodies, and even having a survivable planet to inhabit

same as it ever was

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Impossible to be a thread regular and think this matters? Right? .... Right?

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I mean, nothing matters at this point

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It doesn't help that's for sure :lmao:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

net work error posted:

same as it ever was
global warming is the gammon's final solution for all the people they hate

doesn't matter if they die too (they'll be comfortable longer than most) as long as all their perceived enemies are denied life

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It matters in that it’s going to force the smug head in the sand idiots to say even dumber things as their fantasies of democrats making the planet feel better drift further and further from reality

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

T-Paine posted:

I mean, nothing matters at this point

Precisely. I am begging people to keep in mind total emissions, emissions lag, and aerosol dimming. The goose is cooked unless [a miracle happens] and we get robust scalable CO2 DAC. And probably CH4 DAC at this point.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Trabisnikof posted:

It matters in that it’s going to force the smug head in the sand idiots to say even dumber things as their fantasies of democrats making the planet feel better drift further and further from reality

Tomorrow same as yesterday? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

any legislative response to cc would just prolong the problem like cap and trade and green subsidies are all bullshit. banning the government from pretending to do good at least will save us some eyerolling