Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I AM THE LORD, THY BOSCH. THOU SHALL HAVE NO OTHER DISHWASHER BEFORE ME.

First commandment, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

All have sinned and fallen short of the grace of Bosch.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Nice report, but your mod is a godless dishwasherless heretic, bwahahaha!

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

E: Also, growing up I ended up watching a fair amount of "New Yankee Workshop" and always had some little dream in the back of my head of having a nice big workshop.

Whattup "New Yankee Workshop" buddy?

Growing up in hot as hell Texas it was fun watching This Old House and seeing them do all this stuff with heating oil and furnaces and basement boilers and had never seen anything like that before. We didn't even have basements because the water table was like 1" underground. If you put a basement in your house it would be full of water the next morning.

New Yankee Workshop ruled. Norm Abram was the real talent on that show.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

moana posted:

Nice report, but your mod is a godless dishwasherless heretic, bwahahaha!

Everyone's got a dishwasher. If you think you don't . . . well, yer it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Zarin posted:

Everyone's got a dishwasher. If you think you don't . . . well, yer it.

Paper Platests and their heretic plastic cutlery ways.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I just discovered that eBay has a ton of old vintage hinges and outlet covers that would look great in my 111 year old craftsmen house. What a fun rabbit hole to go down.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I just discovered that eBay has a ton of old vintage hinges and outlet covers that would look great in my 111 year old craftsmen house. What a fun rabbit hole to go down.

Also check out your local re-store if you have one. you can probably get a bucket of those for 20bux.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BigPaddy posted:

Paper Platests and their heretic plastic cutlery ways.

Then it's the landfill :colbert:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

gp2k posted:

Whattup "New Yankee Workshop" buddy?

Growing up in hot as hell Texas it was fun watching This Old House and seeing them do all this stuff with heating oil and furnaces and basement boilers and had never seen anything like that before. We didn't even have basements because the water table was like 1" underground. If you put a basement in your house it would be full of water the next morning.

New Yankee Workshop ruled. Norm Abram was the real talent on that show.

Also hometime. The first couple seasons focused on simple projects like patios, irrigation, decks, retiling a floor, etc.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Chiming in to say This Old House is an American TV institution and I’ve learned a huge amount over the years from their archive. Hope they continue to kick rear end.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Chiming in to say This Old House is an American TV institution and I’ve learned a huge amount over the years from their archive. Hope they continue to kick rear end.

gp2k posted:

Norm Abram was the real talent on that show.

:hai:

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Further chiming in to say there is an This Old House channel on Pluto TV freely accessible. Makes for great background viewing while involved in a project. Just don't over-caulk as you get caught up staring dreamily at the New England hunks

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Welp, today was the day we gave up all hope of a Bosch. The salesman at the appliance store where we'd ordered a Bosch from in August called and said Bosch had pushed the delivery date back to January 2023 at the earliest, and he wasn't confident it would ship then. We have to have an ADA-compliant dishwasher because they're the only ones that will fit under our heavy cast countertops. He offered a Haier/GE that got Godawful reviews, including being unable to fit 10" dinnerplates without chipping them. We were grimly weighing a bad dishwasher vs. no dishwasher, so I called back and asked him to see if there were any other brands they carried that would arrive sooner than January. He came back with a Whirlpool that got a decent review in Consumer Reports and will be available July 19th, God willing, and we said, yes, let's do that.

All hope relinquished, we have settled on the beach of good-enough.

I have the top of the line Whirlpool (3rd rack, full stainless tub, 4xdb quiet) and I have zero complaints with it. It came with the house but it performs very well and I won't replace it until it dies.

Now my Whirlpool wall oven is trash and I hate it so much and I consider replacing it at a cost of over 3K every time I use it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I really have tried to like my electric smoothtop range that came with the house but it’s a gigantic piece of poo poo with the oven.

Any recommendations for induction ranges?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nwin posted:

I really have tried to like my electric smoothtop range that came with the house but it’s a gigantic piece of poo poo with the oven.

Any recommendations for induction ranges?

Partner and I snagged the Frigidaire 30 in. 5.4 cu. ft. Front Control Induction Range with Air Fry in Stainless Steel and have been real pleased with it so far!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Three questions because that’s an amazing price.

1) can you lock the front controls? I’ve got a toddler that would love to start everything up.

2) how easy/hard is it to adjust the heat on a burner? I’m used to knobs and pushing a button down a bunch seems like it would be a pain.

3) any of your pans make an annoying hum? I’ve got a cheap hot plate that’s induction and some of my pans do that. It’s like the met vibrating super fast.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nwin posted:

Three questions because that’s an amazing price.

1) can you lock the front controls? I’ve got a toddler that would love to start everything up.

2) how easy/hard is it to adjust the heat on a burner? I’m used to knobs and pushing a button down a bunch seems like it would be a pain.

3) any of your pans make an annoying hum? I’ve got a cheap hot plate that’s induction and some of my pans do that. It’s like the met vibrating super fast.

1) yup! I haven't tried it myself since we don't have a toddler, but if I remember I'll lock it then try to get my partner to make something lol

2) it took a little getting used to, cause I'm used to knobs as well. takes maybe a 1 to 1.5 second press to turn the burner on, but then it's much easier to adjust after the initial start

3) we haven't really noticed specific pans, but if you put it on the 'P' setting for "powerheat my poo poo FAST" it is definitely audible within 1, maybe 2ft of the stove.

There's also a version with the controls in the back, if you wanted another level of toddler protection.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Inner Light posted:

Tom Silva is weirdly active on Tik Tok, along with his daughter

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Johnny Truant posted:

1) yup! I haven't tried it myself since we don't have a toddler, but if I remember I'll lock it then try to get my partner to make something lol

2) it took a little getting used to, cause I'm used to knobs as well. takes maybe a 1 to 1.5 second press to turn the burner on, but then it's much easier to adjust after the initial start

3) we haven't really noticed specific pans, but if you put it on the 'P' setting for "powerheat my poo poo FAST" it is definitely audible within 1, maybe 2ft of the stove.

There's also a version with the controls in the back, if you wanted another level of toddler protection.

Thanks! One review said that the interface was hard to understand and they needed the manual to figure things out. Is that accurate at all?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I love This Old House so much.

Though they're at least partially to blame for inspiring confidence in me to tackle projects larger than I ought to.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tom Silva is weirdly active on Tik Tok, along with his daughter

This is a blessing and a curse to know about, and overall saddens me. Maybe this will get me to understand how to use TikTok?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nwin posted:

Thanks! One review said that the interface was hard to understand and they needed the manual to figure things out. Is that accurate at all?

I haven't had to bust the manual out yet, but I'll hazard a guess that since you're coming from knobs/buttons like I did, it'll be a slight learning curve for a range. And seeing as every stove we've dealt with previously had 0 learning curve, it is definitely weird.

I think the only thing that took a couple tries before really figuring out is you have to press the like, ON/START button more than you would think, lol. Oh, and the timer was weird to start... think its minimum increment is 1 minute, not seconds? I kind of forget that one, but can check when I get home if you'd like.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Johnny Truant posted:

I haven't had to bust the manual out yet, but I'll hazard a guess that since you're coming from knobs/buttons like I did, it'll be a slight learning curve for a range. And seeing as every stove we've dealt with previously had 0 learning curve, it is definitely weird.

I think the only thing that took a couple tries before really figuring out is you have to press the like, ON/START button more than you would think, lol. Oh, and the timer was weird to start... think its minimum increment is 1 minute, not seconds? I kind of forget that one, but can check when I get home if you'd like.

Nah, the timer doesn’t bug me. I’m mainly seeing some confusion about the lock button. Some people say it only locks oven controls and other people say it locks everything (cooktop and oven).

Also-have you used the oven yet? Some reviews say it’s loud and you can hear the fan rattling when you use convection/airfry.

I’d really like the GE Profile but it’s $3500 and it’s backordered for a few months so I’ll pass on that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

nwin posted:

Nah, the timer doesn’t bug me. I’m mainly seeing some confusion about the lock button. Some people say it only locks oven controls and other people say it locks everything (cooktop and oven).

Also-have you used the oven yet? Some reviews say it’s loud and you can hear the fan rattling when you use convection/airfry.

I’d really like the GE Profile but it’s $3500 and it’s backordered for a few months so I’ll pass on that.

Ah yeah, I haven't tried the lock function yet. I'm about to bounce from work so I'll check it when I get home and report back.

Used the oven and the air-fryer, and I mean you can hear the fan sure? Doesn't rattle imo, it's just the sound of a muffled fan. Can't really hear it farther than... 6ft maybe?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I read a bunch of reviews on that unit and I came to the conclusion that a number of units seemed to suffer enough jostling in transit and/or the units aren't properly packed from the factory, so there can be some oddities like heating elements shifting under the glass, or some kind of bending or movement that will cause the convection fan to rattle. Or the quality control at the factory is abysmal and they leave the factory like that. If I ever convince my wife to go to induction, I'd buy it from my local appliance place, and talk to them about my concerns about the prior handling of the unit, and get some kind of guarantee that take care of any issues that were present at the time it was delivered. They've done right by me so far, replacing a defective door switch in my fridge that was defective when they delivered it. I'm getting my second appliance from them delivered tomorrow, and so far I've been very happy to go with a local place that uses their own employees for delivery, vs going to a big box store. And the prices are the same anyways, so it's a win-win for me.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Back to the dehumidifier I posted about. If I’m going to connect the AC condensate line to the pvc pipe I’ll drill through the foundation, where would be a good place to drill through? Think I’d be safe drilling right above the window or should I go to the left/right of window?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nwin posted:

Back to the dehumidifier I posted about. If I’m going to connect the AC condensate line to the pvc pipe I’ll drill through the foundation, where would be a good place to drill through? Think I’d be safe drilling right above the window or should I go to the left/right of window?

I'd probably drill near the top of the window for height but towards one side with the expectation that the outlet on the outside will run down away from the house. You'll want a rotary hammer drill and a masonry bit (that's compatible with the drill, most are SDS, SDS+ or SDS Max) to get through concrete, and there's the fun part of potentially hitting the steel supports inside of it.

I'd make it as small as you can get away with, sloping away from the house, and give some thought to pest intrusion if it's PVC going through. Here we have the condensate pump tube and the AC condenser tubes and power all running through this cinderblock. On the outside the tube runs 10+ feet out and it hasn't been a problem unless it freezes up in the winter and the humidifier is trying to drain through it. I think the HVAC guys did this run in the 80s and reused the hole 20 years ago when it was redone. The AC was replaced last year but I doubt the replaced the copper because look at all that green corrosion. I'm sure that won't be a problem very soon.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

I see your oil fill and vent there. Rather than blowing through your foundation it's probably going to be a lot easier to go through the rim joist like those two things almost definitely are. Track them down inside and see if you have access to do it that way rather than going all SDS drill and poo poo.

As to where? As close to that corner on the left as you can get it, because you should pipe it right into that underground downspout extension which is taking water very very far away from your house, already exists, and is a gravity drain.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Looks like it's a matter of moving a bit of insulation aside, unless it's blocked off to the right of what's shown in the above pic.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Here’s a quick picture without moving the insulation:

I’ll have to do some research on going into the rim joist unless it’s as simple as someone used a hole saw on the side of the house to get those two pipes through it. If that’s the case, maybe just use the same hole or a new hole next to the existing ones?

I’ll also have to figure out how to tap into that pvc drain-great catch in noticing that!

As an aside…I see these shims all over the top of the basement. Any idea what they are for?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nwin posted:

I’ll have to do some research on going into the rim joist unless it’s as simple as someone used a hole saw on the side of the house to get those two pipes through it. If that’s the case, maybe just use the same hole or a new hole next to the existing ones?

New holes. Now you know where you can make them. And yes, it's that simple. Since you have wood siding you want to go from the outside so the finished hole looks nice out there.

The shims are literally shimming your rim joist level on the block foundation. You can cut them off where they hang over if you like. The business end of them are clamped between the frost wall and where the wood part of your house starts.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My guess is the top of the foundation walls isn't perfectly flat and they used shims so the sill plate would actually sit flat, but it's weird they didn't cut off the parts of the shim that are sticking out so that could be a bad guess.

Also yes, you can go right through the beam that pipe is going through, as long as you leave enough of the wood intact that it retains sufficient strength. So don't completely saw through the beam, and if it looks like it's already pretty compromised you can move over a bit to the next span between the ceiling joists.

e. yeah what he said. I guess it's the rim joist and not a sill plate?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

e. yeah what he said. I guess it's the rim joist and not a sill plate?

Probably shimming the sill (technically sole) plate, yeah. I'm being imprecise as I've had quite a day.

(I installed a new service and panel to a friends barn and finished exactly 15 minutes after the wedding rehearsal began - wedding is tomorrow. Nothing like last minute cable pulling and panel installs)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Probably shimming the sill (technically sole) plate, yeah. I'm being imprecise as I've had quite a day.

(I installed a new service and panel to a friends barn and finished exactly 15 minutes after the wedding rehearsal began - wedding is tomorrow. Nothing like last minute cable pulling and panel installs)

My goodness how much beer does that cost with the wedding tax?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

My goodness how much beer does that cost with the wedding tax?

To be fair it's not my best/cleanest work.

My miniex and dump trailer are also sitting up there still from digging the trench for the conduit.

It's that kind of friend.

(I will be re-dressing that panel when this is all over)

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Did you do it in a tux, or did that come after? And what kind of beer was your pay?

And I guess did the beer arrive during or after work?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alarbus posted:

Did you do it in a tux, or did that come after? And what kind of beer was your pay?

And I guess did the beer arrive during or after work?

Wedding is tomorrow so no tuxes. Also, I had to work in a hot panel on the house side that feeds this new panel so no beer. It was offered of course but I'd rather not die.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
An eventful morning full of progress!

The calvery:

Action!

To be continued Monday:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

That’s some dope crane content OP. Big logs