Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Timby posted:

This ... doesn't happen in M:I 2.

Oh right, just looked at wiki, Nyah injects herself. And either way, our guy Hideo Kojima is clearly the king when it comes to that kind of thing. And there was some injection stuff in the Escape from NY movies. Love a good sci-fi injection.

And agreed Hoffman is a legend. Loved him as the villain in Punch Drunk Love too, so drat fun in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

MI3 was a fun movie but I found Keri Russell's death to be so horrifying for some reason that it gives me pause to rewatch it.

That's JJ Abrams thing. He wants to stick someone famous in the first act/episode and then unexpectedly kill them. He tried to do it again in Force Awakens with Poe and was frustrated in doing it on Lost (apparently Michael Keaton was attached at one point but would die in the first episode). Keri Russel was a very hot property at the time. She was doing a lot of press in the lead up to the film and there were misleading summaries suggesting their mentor/protege relationship would be central.

Dog_Meat posted:

Also, the only villain I remember is MI:3 because PSH was genuinely scary

He was in the trailer that taught me the importance of the soft components of editing. In the film, Hunt is questioning him very intensely, he seems to have all the power in the scene, and then PSH starts talking right past him. It's an incredible reversal that takes a really good actor to pull off, alongside good direction and editing. In the trailer, they just start the speech at the beginning of the trailer and it doesn't work nearly as well.

Roth posted:

I watched Dirty Harry last night and maybe I'm reading too optimistically but the whole thing felt like a joke that Clint Eastwood wasn't in on.

The part where the killer is just beating the poo poo out of him and Dirty Harry can't do anything because of those drat police regulations is high comedy and no one will convince me otherwise. It also suffers because it so captured the zeitgeist and resulted in so many parodies and references that it's almost completely impossible to watch now, like a less good Psycho or Jaws.

Seemlar posted:

I think MI3 is absolutely the worst movie in the series, tv level direction, PSH felt completely one note and uninteresting to me and giving Ethan a wife between movies absolutely did not work, there were below zero levels of chemistry and believably with that relationship

It's just so anti-climatic. After some really good action sequences throughout the film (not best in the series, but better than everything else in cinemas in 2006) the last sequence does feel very "TV series that blew its money in the first 7 episodes"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Snowman_McK posted:

It's just so anti-climatic. After some really good action sequences throughout the film (not best in the series, but better than everything else in cinemas in 2006) the last sequence does feel very "TV series that blew its money in the first 7 episodes"
"Okay, guys, we need Tom to kill the villain in a way that's exciting, thematically appropriate and cathartic for the audience, something that will really make them cheer as this vile, sadistic murderer finally gets what he deserves. Any ideas?"
[Long silence]
"He, uh... gets randomly hit by a passing truck in the middle of a fistfight?"
"That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Anything else? Literally anything? No? Okay, I guess we have to run with it."

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
As I remember it, back in 2006 MI:3 was one of the first movies to prominently feature a Predator type drone being used. It's a real world superpower where one person (a German female mercenary from the anti-IMF team that rescues PSH) can take on an army and only superhero Ethan Hunt can do something about it.

I also loved all the random TV stars at the party in the beginning. Of course Jesse Pinkman but also NCIS Kate, Scandal Milly and Boardwalk Empire Babette just chilling.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Dirty Harry has one of the all-time fantastic 70s scores (by Lalo Schifrin) and Andrew Robinson is great as the unhinged Scorpio killer.

I love the movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MrMojok posted:

Dirty Harry has one of the all-time fantastic 70s scores (by Lalo Schifrin) and Andrew Robinson is great as the unhinged Scorpio killer.

I love the movie.
Dirty Harry and Magnum Force both have amazing, scuzzy scores; the wailing choruses and distorted guitars that run through them are perfect for the time and the tone of the films. Schifrin's later stuff in the series, after he started using synths, are decent enough but sadly lose that grimy, hosed-up feeling.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The 1970s was the greatest era for action movie scores. Even the shittiest, cheapest movies could afford a good jazz -funk theme. Lalo Schifrin was a huge influence on eurocrime scores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9pb1pSpGc

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

dokmo posted:

The 1970s was the greatest era for action movie scores. Even the shittiest, cheapest movies could afford a good jazz -funk theme. Lalo Schifrin was a huge influence on eurocrime scores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a9pb1pSpGc

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three is one of my favorite '70s movies. It feels like kind of a precursor to the Die Hard type of movie (everyman hero out of his depth against impossible odds), and it has the most badass jazz-funk score. Plus, everyone in it looks like real New Yorkers -- rumpled, sweaty, and imperfect -- rather than actors. It's a movie you can almost smell.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Dirty Harry is *almost* a deliberate parody of the hothead renegade cop movie that it helped popularize because breaking the rules keeps making things worse and he kinda just looks dumb more than once.

It's kind of like First Blood where people project back on the original what the sequels and ripoffs did.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

brocked posted:

Not looks like, it's that one-note oily voice and demeanor

It really works for him in stuff like Doubt and the Master

Andy Dick has a piercing high voice and PSH has a deep burly voice lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm watching Games of Survival, about prisoners from another world being put into a game of survival against each other for freedom, the alien overlords send them to Earth. The last part I didn't know and it was very lol when they dudes dressed like leather daddies are dropped into 1980s Earth.

The movie ain't very good tbh, but that ain't stopping me from enjoying it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What's the deal with the 90's action movie No Escape, starring Ray Liotta? Why is this like a lost film at this point? It's available nowhere and seems to be out of print for physical media too. I can get a used DVD for like $30 but that's it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

What's the deal with the 90's action movie No Escape, starring Ray Liotta? Why is this like a lost film at this point? It's available nowhere and seems to be out of print for physical media too. I can get a used DVD for like $30 but that's it.

I was just thinking about this film the other day, specifically the opening scene or maybe it’s during the opening credits where he’s in a parade and as he marches past the reviewing stand he breaks ranks and marches straight over to the general and shoots him in the head.

And at the time I couldn’t remember the name of the film to save my life.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Basebf555 posted:

Since the movie was set in 2022 a special edition dvd/bluray is coming in a few months in October.

EXTRAS
"WELCOME TO THE FUTURE: THE SCI-FI WORLDS OF GALE ANNE HURD" - A new interview with producer Gale Anne Hurd
"SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST: DIRECTING NO ESCAPE" - A new interview with filmmaker Martin Campbell
"PENAL COLONY: WRITING NO ESCAPE" - A new interview with co-writer Joel Gross
Vintage Making of Featurettes
Alternate Intro
Original Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Photo Gallery

https://www.unearthedfilms.com/future-releases.php

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd buy that in a second. The reason I asked about the movie in the first place is because it's one of those late-night on HBO discoveries I had when I was like 12 or 13 years old and it always stuck in my mind. But then years later when I wanted to track the movie down to rewatch it I never could, it never made it to the streaming world for some reason. I think we all probably have one or two of those movies that just isn't accessible anymore and we periodically check in hopes that it will all of the sudden appear somewhere, so No Escape was that movie for me.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Watched The Contractor this week, really wasn't great. Technically the action was decent but can't really buy Chris Pine as a conflicted ex special forces operator. He just didn't seem "hard" at all, not sure how to describe it but it really didn't work for me. Ben Foster was good as usual and Eddie Marsan had a nice little cameo and I could actually buy him as ex special forces.

Also there were some super weird cuts that were really amateur. At one point Chris Pine and Ben Foster kind of clinch up and Chris Pine jumps back and the camera cuts and they are like 15 feet apart facing each other.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
No Escape is one of the first movies I remember consciously enjoying because the villain was having the time of his life. Like, Darth Vader marching through the fog in ANH was amazing, but he didn't seem to enjoy himself very much. Stuart Wilson in No Escape has all the fun in the world, eating up all the scenery with those awful white man dreadlocks and nose piercings like the most deviant dad you could possibly think of. Imagine the kids from Lord of the Flies growing old on that island and the most evil bastard kept his inner child alive, that's Wilson's character.

Edit: Disclaimer: The last time I saw the movie, it was on VHS.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's a great movie, but my favorite No Escape related thing is Roger Ebert getting mad that they mad the fat guy a coward and a traitor.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/no-escape-1994

Ebert posted:

Little thought has been given to the personalities of the characters, who recite pseudomeaningful insights between fight scenes. Nor is the big picture ever explained; I still don't know how the prison made money, why it had to be a secret, or why some prisoners were exiled to the island. Even the big secret (who is the traitorous spy?) was easy to guess, once you understand that in all movies where groups of men live together, it is always the fat one who cannot be trusted.

The man definitely had his biases.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think it's a fine observation, I did just rewatch Jurassic Park. People examine every aspect of representation, I don't think he's being silly to point that out.

While we're talking, I've always found it odd how limited glasses use is in movies and TV. I found it especially nutty when Jim Gordon didn't have glasses in that Gotham show. Young Gordon had them in Year One. Such a high percentage of people have glasses, and such a low amount have them in movies. Just interesting to look at that stuff.

At least we have Tango & Cash. And for cool fat guys, we've got Sammo Hung and Vin Diesel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You mentioned Gordon, remember who was the traitor rear end in Batman 89?

Fat Eckard.

Ebert knew what up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ebert was very into pointing out movie tropes, it was a running bit in his column. He published a book of them

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Heavy Metal posted:

I think it's a fine observation, I did just rewatch Jurassic Park. People examine every aspect of representation, I don't think he's being silly to point that out.

He does make a good point, but I feel he was also sensitive as he was a man of carriage himself.

You could also usually count on his reviews having atleast an extra half star if there was a nice pair of boobs in the movie.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I understood that part, and we look at it a bit differently is all.

On Ebert, I always love that he put Spider-Man 2 and Kill Bill on his top 10 in 2004. Good picks.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My guess is glasses are a pain to film since they reflect a lot of stuff that's not supposed to be in the movie?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

PeterCat posted:

He does make a good point, but I feel he was also sensitive as he was a man of carriage himself.

We had a big representation moment in the last 10 years and things are a lot better for everyone so I think the current zeitgeist bears Ebert out.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

We had a big representation moment in the last 10 years and things are a lot better for everyone so I think the current zeitgeist bears Ebert out.

I think Ebert would be disappointed in the lack of breasts in modern movies.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

PeterCat posted:

He would, but I'd like to think he would accept the trade-off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

No Escape is one of the first movies I remember consciously enjoying because the villain was having the time of his life. Like, Darth Vader marching through the fog in ANH was amazing, but he didn't seem to enjoy himself very much. Stuart Wilson in No Escape has all the fun in the world, eating up all the scenery with those awful white man dreadlocks and nose piercings like the most deviant dad you could possibly think of. Imagine the kids from Lord of the Flies growing old on that island and the most evil bastard kept his inner child alive, that's Wilson's character.

Edit: Disclaimer: The last time I saw the movie, it was on VHS.

We saw it a little more recently and honestly it holds up thanks to him having a blast as the villain and I forgot how strong a supporting cast that flick has too. Stupid fun stuff. :D

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I remember the trailers for that movie scaring me as a little dude, because of how ADULT and INTENSE it looked. Like next level grown up poo poo

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

married but discreet posted:

My guess is glasses are a pain to film since they reflect a lot of stuff that's not supposed to be in the movie?

Non reflective coatings are very common now, usually costs a little extra but they are very good. I think its probably just old fashioned bias. Nerds wear glasses, ergo glasses are reserved for character that are portrayed as nerds. I'm sure being reflective was an issue in the past. Film is a bit weird as an industry, gotta tape a bunch of cats together or whatever.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrMojok posted:

I was just thinking about this film the other day, specifically the opening scene or maybe it’s during the opening credits where he’s in a parade and as he marches past the reviewing stand he breaks ranks and marches straight over to the general and shoots him in the head.

And at the time I couldn’t remember the name of the film to save my life.

It was released as 'Escape from Absolom' where i grew up.

PeterCat posted:

Him mentioning the many naked women in Black Dynamite at least four times in his review of it was a joy.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Snowman_McK posted:

It was released as 'Escape from Absolom' where i grew up.

Him mentioning the many naked women in Black Dynamite at least four times in his review of it was a joy.

Roger Ebert posted:

The women are also dressed in period threads, and many have big Afros. I am happy to say it brings back an element sadly missing in recent movies, gratuitous nudity. Sexy women would "happen" to be topless in the 1970s movies for no better reason than that everyone agreed, including themselves, that their breasts were a genuine pleasure to regard -- the most beautiful naturally occurring shapes in nature, I believe. Now we see breasts only in serious films, for expressing reasons. There's been such a comeback for the strategically positioned bed sheet, you'd think we were back in the 1950s.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched RRR after thread's gloating impressions of it. drat it didn't disappoint. I have seen a fair share of Southern Indian movies and this has the same tropes. Main character who is basically a super hero, villains who are comic book level evil, 1 man vs the whole world type vibe. But I think RRR does all of those tropes so much better and the action sequences are so loving awesome. You just want to stand up and scream. I am definitely interested in the directors other works now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is End of Days entertaining Arnold action or not really? Is it even a typical Arnold action film? Finally seeing his action movies, seen all the classics but I still appreciate his later 90s stuff like Eraser, The 6th Day, so I was wondering if it was at that level or a "don't even bother" ala Collateral Damage and all his 2000s stuff.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I wanted it to be good, and Gabriel Byrne is having fun, but it’s weirdly just kind of a drag

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is End of Days entertaining Arnold action or not really? Is it even a typical Arnold action film? Finally seeing his action movies, seen all the classics but I still appreciate his later 90s stuff like Eraser, The 6th Day, so I was wondering if it was at that level or a "don't even bother" ala Collateral Damage and all his 2000s stuff.

It’s pretty okay. More supernatural thriller than action movie though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It does have some great "thriller" elements to it though like like Christ in New York..........Christine York! :lol:

Surprisingly good cast for what it is too, worth a watch even if it's not much of an action flick.

Plus around that type of that movie at that time? Probably the best one when its competition was stuff like Stigmata and nuclear grade dogshit like Bless the Child. :D

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

It does have some great "thriller" elements to it though like like Christ in New York..........Christine York! :lol:

Surprisingly good cast for what it is too, worth a watch even if it's not much of an action flick.

Plus around that type of that movie at that time? Probably the best one when its competition was stuff like Stigmata and nuclear grade dogshit like Bless the Child. :D

Don’t forget: if you turn “1999” upside-down and get rid of the 1… :aaaaa:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Splint Chesthair posted:

Don’t forget: if you turn “1999” upside-down and get rid of the 1… :aaaaa:

Oh my god… it’s the area code to Topeka, Kansas!

CODE KANSAS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Watched The Princess on Hulu last night after seeing OutlawVern give it a positive review. It's pretty good and worth a go! Does it have some dodgy CGI, shamelessly rip off other action movies, and does the lead occasionally look like she's hitting her marks instead of actually fighting (as most actors who haven't grown up doing martial arts for a decade or more do, and even some who do)? Yes! But what it does have is a lot of "verve", this was clearly a group that decided to have a lot of fun with the idea and run through an entire book of action gags, a lot of which are pretty original! Also, the conceit that the titular Princess keeps winning because the guards have to capture her alive and underestimate her was pretty smart, but they sort of throw it away at the end and just make her flat-out superhuman which is too bad.

Plus, in one of my absolute favorite choices, every guard speaks in "guard voice". You know exactly what this voice sounds like, if you've ever played a live action RPG your gamemaster has used guard voice at some point for some mook guard and that's exactly what happened here. So, kudos to the Princess for wearing its Raid influence on its sleeve, being a good time, and having good action, and for the lead working super hard and totally committing to the role and work, she cartwheels, flips, and throws herself around like a champ. I figure if she had another 6 months and a bigger budget for more takes and training they might have beat ol' Keanu at his own game.

A thumbs up from me.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 7, 2022