Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I don't think people were expecting anything until the creators and actors were like,

"OMG u guys won't belive the stuff we did for upcoming episode Herogasm! Woah boy get ready one actor ever refused to film a scene wow its gonna be raaaaunchy!"

outrageous marketing from a show about outrageous marketing, heavens to betsy what will they think of next

edit: I loving love this show and I can't wait to see what they do with Homeland eating that sweet, bruised face humble pie

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Lamebot posted:

I swore that scene where Butcher was talking to Homelander in the Flatiron building was a v24 withdrawal hallucination. I guess it really happened.

Wasn't that before he took the v24 or did I mix that up

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

El Padrino posted:

I don't think it's been stated like that but Black Noir showed in S2 that he has healing abilities like Kimiko, back then speculation was that his super healing resulted in massive scar tissue like what was shown when Maeve shoved the almond joy in his mouth.

In the Nicaragua flashback he looks fine until Mallory finds him hosed up and trying to reach for his mask, so something "turned off" his healing power. First they thought it was an 'anti-supe gun' that the Boys went to Russia to find before the Soldier Boy reveal

Edit: and of course, this is just speculation on my part

Gotcha. I'm still in the "heals but leaves scar tissue camp" plus I figure that if Soldier Boy had reason to turn on Noir at the time he would have had a different reaction to the twins in this episode than just saying that Noir couldn't have been behind it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

El Padrino posted:

Soldier boy's power was the removal of super powers since before the russians,

No it wasn't. The X-Ray thing on amazon explicitly states that this is a new power for him

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
The very first episode of this season showed a shrunken man stimulating his partners urethra from inside then exploding his lower torso. The 'Herogasm' felt anticlimactic because you really can't top that scene.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

El Padrino posted:

Soldier boy's power was the removal of super powers since before the russians, presumably he used it on Black Noir in Nicaragua and then he caught a grenade to the face before the russians kidnapped Soldier Boy, and Mallory interpreted that as 'the russians have an anti-supe gun which disabled Soldier Boy and hosed Black Noir's ability to heal/why he became mute'

If that was his power pre Russia then everyone would know that was his power and would have spoke about it as such. They weren't looking for Solider Boy because he had this power, but because the Russians stopped him somehow. Anyway I remember in an episode recap one of the writers stated that he gained these powers after Russian experimentation so yeah, Black Noir wasn't depowered by Soldier Boy.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Just Chamber posted:

If that was his power pre Russia then everyone would know that was his power and would have spoke about it as such. They weren't looking for Solider Boy because he had this power, but because the Russians stopped him somehow. Anyway I remember in an episode recap one of the writers stated that he gained these powers after Russian experimentation so yeah, Black Noir wasn't depowered by Soldier Boy.

Oh, I see. I didn't check the x-ray so didn't know the my confirmed it was a new power. I'd have thought that was a power which Vought would've kept under wraps as their Homelander contingency, and the reason why the russians kidnapped him was to Winter Soldier him in the event Homelander was used during the cold war. I need to watch the new episode too

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I don't think people were expecting anything until the creators and actors were like,

"OMG u guys won't belive the stuff we did for upcoming episode Herogasm! Woah boy get ready one actor ever refused to film a scene wow its gonna be raaaaunchy!"

This is pretty much it, and it's really hard to top the season opener.

I mean don't get me wrong, MM getting an education in bodily fluids was funny as hell but aside from that it wasn't much more than season 1 showed us. But really going all-in (hehe) on something not that crucial to the plot wasn't really important. Better that it's a backdrop.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Homelander wasn't around back then

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I just had a thought. We've been focusing on Butcher having Homelander's powers, since that makes him something of a dark mirror to him... But, then a thought occurred to me.

Butcher also has Ryan's powers. So, in a sense, this is confirmation that Butcher truly is Ryan's father--his real father.

His powers don't have to be a dark connection to Homelander--they can also be a beautiful connection to Ryan.

Moreover, it makes him uniquely qualified to hold Ryan to account--discipline him as needed, and show the proper way to wield such power. Ryan had the mother Homelander needed--perhaps he'll also have the father he needed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

Homelander wasn't around back then

I don't know if we've been given Homelander's age, but if we assume he's about as old as Starr then he would have been a child at the time of Soldier Boy's disappearance, probably about Ryan's age actually.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

FireWorksWell posted:

I must be going crazy but I thought Butcher blacked out on his first dose of V24 and we don't get to see what happened. Then later in the episode he and Homelander have their chat which I thought was a withdrawal symptom.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fionordequester posted:

I just had a thought. We've been focusing on Butcher having Homelander's powers, since that makes him something of a dark mirror to him... But, then a thought occurred to me.

Butcher also has Ryan's powers. So, in a sense, this is confirmation that Butcher truly is Ryan's father--his real father.

His powers don't have to be a dark connection to Homelander--they can also be a beautiful connection to Ryan.

Moreover, it makes him uniquely qualified to hold Ryan to account--discipline him as needed, and show the proper way to wield such power. Ryan had the mother Homelander needed--perhaps he'll also have the father he needed.

Having experienced being a supe will probably help Butcher have some empathy for Ryan and maybe motivate him to mend fences with the kid but he can't stay doped up every second of every day just for the sake of parenting from a position of power. Even if he could that is a recipe for disaster, it's exactly the opposite kind of parenting dynamic Ryan needs.

That said, Butcher popping some temp V on special occasions so they can play catch with a sedan or something every once in a while couldn't hurt

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 24, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure Noir's unique abilities are mostly healing and maybe the stealthy stuff (besides the usual strength, agility, durability etc that they all get). The downside is he doesn't have kimiko's level of it, so he gets hosed up looking scar tissue. Same as Stormfront after Ryan anakin'd her.

I took the soldier boy smoking scene as he just didn't bring enough to fill a room. It's one thing to have a room full of gas, it's another to have just a minor mist of it.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

FireWorksWell posted:

Yup. Also the next episode had him hallucinating Ryan and Homelander on TV so I really thought that Homelander conversation was all in his head. Maybe that really happened too?!?! OH MY GOD HOMELANDER KNOWS WHERE RYAN IS!!!!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Fionordequester posted:

how can anyone have watched this show to this point and think "drat I bet butcher is gonna be a great dad"

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug

Lamebot posted:

I must be going crazy but I thought Butcher blacked out on his first dose of V24 and we don't get to see what happened. Then later in the episode he and Homelander have their chat which I thought was a withdrawal symptom.

Just went and rechecked. Maeve comes to the Flatiron and gives him the V24. He leaves, goes to his apartment and is about to pour it down the drain when he hears something. He closes the vial and stores it in the Terror-looking cookie jar before finding Homelander on his balcony. It's only after these events that he experiments with V24.

I thought it was a framing device to to show us Butcher battling his demon as represented by Homelander. Like a visualization of a shower argument and similar to the Homelander mirror conversation.

Robobot posted:

Yup. Also the next episode had him hallucinating Ryan and Homelander on TV so I really thought that Homelander conversation was all in his head. Maybe that really happened too?!?! OH MY GOD HOMELANDER KNOWS WHERE RYAN IS!!!!

I think the kid he saw on TV was his brother Lenny.

Edit to add: I liked how at Homelander was pleased that the whole setup was just to lure him out. "It really is all about me."

Dr. Poz fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 25, 2022

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I took the soldier boy smoking scene as he just didn't bring enough to fill a room. It's one thing to have a room full of gas, it's another to have just a minor mist of it.

Not really sure whether it could fill a room or not mattered seeing as he could literally inhale it like a cigar and be fine. It was likely just not the same stuff the Russians had.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Aye Doc posted:

how can anyone have watched this show to this point and think "drat I bet butcher is gonna be a great dad"

I'm saying he could be, due to his unique position.

And there's plenty of people (my own father included) with horrid personal flaws God helped them work through by the time they were raising kids.

It can happen. It's just a matter of if Kripke's interested in that angle.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Aye Doc posted:

That's a core conflict for this character. He could be a really great dad. If he couldn't be a great dad, then we'd all be really thrilled that he told his kid to gently caress off.

The tragedy is that while he could be a great dad, he instead neglects his kid to wage war on Homelander.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Heck, that's one way they could squeeze out an entire season, due to how climactic things already ate.

Butcher (one of the biggest current threats to Homelander) attempts to abandon his crusade, spends Season 4 trying to focus on his son, then is compelled to return by the start of Season 5, when everyone realizes that his methods are absolutely mandatory for Homelander himself.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And this is why TVIV doesn't write tv

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That's a core conflict for this character. He could be a really great dad. If he couldn't be a great dad, then we'd all be really thrilled that he told his kid to gently caress off.

The tragedy is that while he could be a great dad, he instead neglects his kid to wage war on Homelander.

haha missed this meme

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just Chamber posted:

I think you got a little mixed up here. Maeve told Butcher that there was a weapon that might be able to stop Homelander. You could argue that what they were looking for was whatever the Soviets used to incapacitate Soldier Boy, but after seeing what his chest beam can do it's pretty clear that the weapon is Soldier Boy himself. And the show doesn't provide any indication that Butcher and pals messed up on this assessment either.

Also for all we know Crimson Countess just shot him in the back to knock him out. Or the Soviets hit him with some rockets. How the Soviets captured him isn't really relevant.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If the boys are capable of beating Homelander, they still have to catch him. He's more like a nuclear bomb than a super-soldier. If he enacts his plan to destroy Washington and New York, I don't see how they can stop him while he's flying around at Mach 5. Would be an interesting callback to Action Comics #1 if Homelander flies along some power lines and blows up every power station he sees.

Also, Hughie has the ability to kill anyone who doesn't have flight or temperature-related powers; just teleport them naked to the Far North.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

as someone who enjoys reading the most insane takes on planet earth (NOT my posts!!!!!!) i must insist on the continued practice of weekly release for all television shows

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Chamale posted:

If the boys are capable of beating Homelander, they still have to catch him. He's more like a nuclear bomb than a super-soldier. If he enacts his plan to destroy Washington and New York, I don't see how they can stop him while he's flying around at Mach 5. Would be an interesting callback to Action Comics #1 if Homelander flies along some power lines and blows up every power station he sees.

Also, Hughie has the ability to kill anyone who doesn't have flight or temperature-related powers; just teleport them naked to the Far North.

Depending on how far he can teleport he could teleport homelander into space and then hopefully teleport back. pretty sure homelander can't hold his breath long enough to get back if he's out past the moon.

The suicide act is to teleport homelander into the center of the sun.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think we can all agree that the shot of Black Noir finishing the "Imagine" montage with a cue card was one of the best jokes of the season.

Also, if there was any doubt whatsoever that Homelander is in fact a 1:1 analog of Trump, they actually went so far as to have him respond to an interview question by saying "what a nasty question." Like they may as well just have made him say "person woman man camera TV." Before that, I was wondering whether Homelander was supposed to be simply a representation of all the worst parts of America in general or Literally Trump. Turns out it's absolutely the latter.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 25, 2022

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a few thoughts: Soldier Boy was de-powered along with Black Noir during the Russian attack. Soldier Boy gets brought in for some light torture and the like. Meanwhile, Vaught re-doses Black Noir and he gets his powers back, but not soon enough so that the scarring, etc wasn't healable.

Years pass, Soldier Boy continues to be tortured and gassed and etc without his powers.

Finally, the Russians buy some V from Homelander in a S1 callback, and proceed to inhect SB, de-power SB, rinse repeat until eventually SB absorbs some properties of the de-supe gun along with his old powerset.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The weirdest part of the orgy was that they were apparently doing it to a soviet jingle on the radio

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

The weirdest part of the orgy was that they were apparently doing it to a soviet jingle on the radio

only the communist hero Love Sausage was getting down to the soviet music

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm totally fine with Homelander's mirror dialogue. I don't think it's trying to show he has DID like Green Goblin or Gollum. It's just shorthand for his internal dialogue. I bet Anthony Starr sold the hell out of a table reading or whatever and they kept it in because why the hell wouldn't you.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Did love sausage's dick get damaged or lose it's stretchy powers from the blast??? This is what truly concerns me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think of Homelander's mirror talk as like, a child's play exercise that when still performed by an adult seems way more insane and unhinged, just like his breastfeeding stuff. Psychologically he's genuinely close to being a toddler at times.

And it also adds a layer to his experience with Doppelganger; he's almost into someone mimicking him, but no one else could do his mirror game just right.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Homelander's mirror monologue was fantastic Anthony Starr can do no wrong in this show.

His little burst of fear when he first heard about Soldier Boy an episode or so ago was amazing and you really felt it from him here when in the crime lab and with Noir. He's so vulnerable for being invulnerable and that's a pretty amazing tightrope to walk as an actor.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

How many more members of Payback are left, because I don’t really care how they’re dispatched so long as Soldier Boy concentrates on Homelander. That’s vastly more interesting than rando supes I never cared about (Gunpowder and Crimson Countess notwithstanding, as they were closest to him).

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the guy with the bug wings was the only other one, and he got blown up in Nicaragua. So it should just be Black Noir left.

e: oops, forgot Mindstorm.

Martman fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 25, 2022

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Durzel posted:

How many more members of Payback are left, because I don’t really care how they’re dispatched so long as Soldier Boy concentrates on Homelander. That’s vastly more interesting than rando supes I never cared about (Gunpowder and Crimson Countess notwithstanding, as they were closest to him).

Big brain boy. That's it. Didn't they show on tv that he's basically crippled by big his head got?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The fact people still can’t grasp despite the show more or less outright saying it that the nuclear depower beam is new for Soldier Boy is just *chef’s kiss*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

As always a fantastic episode, however I think having Homelander basically be nearly beaten/ subdued by 1 guy on temp V and Soldier Boy was a poor decision if the truth is he's as strong as implied. If Homelander is this godlike being strength wise he should be easily winning even vs both of them and that makes the need to get off the depowering beam so essential, because otherwise why not get, 3, 4 more people Butcher can trust some of this temp V and fight Homelander again? 4 Supes with super strength should easily be able to hold him down If Hughie has enough strength now that he can assist with that, and ultimately then Starlight and other Supes with super strength being so terrified rings a bit hollow.

Now the other way to look at if is it was a deliberate choice for him to nearly lose even without the beam and the point of the fight was to show that while Homelander is of course ridiculously strong he was never as strong as he thought he was and it was merely because he's never been challenged/ has been fed this all his life by Vought he believes this. Out of everyone he is the strongest, but his strength isn't this untouchable thing it's made out to be, which is an interesting way to take his character.

i would agree with you re: homelander's power level if it wasn't for the fact that the 3 against 1 included soldier boy, who may not be as strong as HLer but was the HLer before HLer.